Nov

Open Thread: Making A Splash

So how about that crazy first week of free agency, huh? Blockbuster trade after blockbuster trade and megahuge free agent deals were handed out like free samples of The Jacoby Ellsbury Eyebrow Wax Kit at Penney’s.

Okay, that was lame.

The hot stove is chock full o’ rumors but a little light on the action right now. Hell, the biggest trade action of the week came from the Knickerbockers, who completed Phase I of Operation Get LeBron by chopping like, $30M bucks off their future payroll. Not exactly what we all had in mind, but that’s just the way it goes.

Just to wrap up the action in Yankeeland, here’s a review of the week that was…n’t:

That about sums up everything you need to know. It’s Friday, go do something fun. If you must be here, use this as your open thread.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Steve S says:

Did CC sign?

2. Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

I’m from Portland, so I’m interested to know how “losing” Z-Bo feels for Knick fans.

Funny, we got Channing Frye and Stephon Marbury in that deal, the latter for cash riddance purposes. I guess the Knicks think that’s a pretty good plan with Mobley, Harrington, Tim Thomas (!) (TT being a nice case of prospect status being mildly overblown)

I guess in the Blazers situation, saving cash was for the purposes of re-signing their many young stars down the road; for the Knicks, well, if CC starts prognosticating next week that the Knicks will get LeBron, then that would be a verrrry nice story indeed.

• pat says:

The knicks losing z-bo is equivalent to an infant getting circumcised. Didn’t need it to begin with, wont need it going forward.

3. pat says:

If somebody doesnt wanna play in NY, fuck em. I think it says alot about the mentality of a guy who doesnt want to play in high pressure games everyday and play in front of crazy ass fans and relentless media. I dunno if anybody caught this but during the allstar game evan longoria was being interviewed by somebody (id probably remember if it was erin andrews, but it might have been five-head pam oliver) anyway, he offhandedly said he would never want to play in NY because of the pressure and media scrutiny. I was just thinking to myself Really? you’re a professional athlete who would rather play in obscurity in front of 5000 “fans” every night than in front of a sold out yankee stadium?? Good riddance then, we dont want you pussy.

• Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

Commentator A: horses, held
      Commentator B: horses, not held

i’m going with pat is commentator B. whoa there, pat. the above is “ironical,” and CC is merely engaging us in some old-fashioned “strategery.” it’ll work out. if not, yeah, then he’s a total pussy.

• pat says:

Haha nah I don’t expect cc to make a decision for a while. He’s the premier FA on the precipice of making one of the biggest decisions of is life I’m fine with that. Even if he wants to stay on the west coast for familial reasons thats cool too I respect that. Its just when people say it is too daunting a task to come to Ny then I think they’re a pussy because they’re afraid to fail. Obviously I know nothing of the professional athlete mentality but I thought usually they rise to the occasion to overcome obstacleswhich helped them get to where they are now. I guess thats the homer new yorker in me that im pretty much offended by people who dont wanna come here and succeed.

That and you’re gonna have to enlighten me as to what the horse metaphor meant, I googled it and found nothing, is it a glass half ful half empty kinda thing?

• Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

Gotcha. So when I think of Mussina, there’s a guy who didn’t really want to deal a whole lot with the media, but was intellectual enough to make it work for him. And, he appreciated the stage he was playing on.

Young guys like Longoria are just overwhelmed when they see NY, I think. Look at Peavy. He’s from the south and knows San Diego. He understandably gets thrown by a place like NY. That said, he still might love it. He just doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, or at least that’s what I’d like to think.

The other analogy is merely the “hold your horses” refrain, as in, “Pat! Hold your horses!” :)

4. Steve says:

I feel like grabbing a tin cup and sitting on the sidewalk in Manhattan saying “Trades? Free agent signings? Brother, can you spare some Baseball news?”

Maybe people will slip little newspaper clippings in my cup.

5. Steve says:

MLBTR

“The Mets appear open to trading Ramon Castro or Brian Schneider. The Mets would then presumably sign a free agent catcher.”

I bet Omar signs I-Rod. He loves over the hill latin players.

That would give us Pick #54 if I’m correct.

• pat says:

Nah higher, something in the neighborhood of early 30′s. Pudge is type B which means we’d receive a supplementary round pick, between the first and 2nd rounds

• Steve says:

Yeah, that’s possible. But it also depends on how many guys the Mets sign, and what their Elias ranking is. Pudge just barely squeaked in, so their 1st and supplemental likely will go for whatever Closer they sign, and we would get the 2nd round pick, #54.

• pat says:

Nah when you sign a type B free agent you dont lost any picks, mlb gives the other team a pick in the supplementary round. If you were to sign a type A free agent you lose your first rounder and the other team receives a supplementary pick as well. If you sign two type A then you lose your first and second round picks, so on and so forth.

6. Mobley, Thomas, and Harrington give Knicks less skill but more versatility and athleticism, and no salary by 2010!

7. Btw check out NoMaas’s pick under the headline: “Good news: Sabathia spotted partying at Bronx nightclub”

• Steve says:

Check out NoMaas, period. Their last 5 pix have been absolutely hilarious, plus their analysis is pretty good.

• Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

Until a few days ago, I thought nomaas was losing its edge. But that Mussina bit had me in stitches. Though I have to say, losing Coco and getting Ram-Ram doesn’t make Boston more “light-skinned.” If there’s a grain of truth to most of nomaas’ stuff, they always seem to overplay that one. or maybe not.

8. Steve says:

Flip Swisher?

“Also, Silverman talked to one source who suggested the Yankees’ acquisition of Nick Swisher “could be a prelude to another deal with a National League club.”

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees still plan to add an impact hitter. He agrees that “several National League teams have had their eye on Swisher.”

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman says the Braves are among them.”

• I’d have a hard time believing another team would give up more than we did to get Swisher, making flipping him unreasonable.

• Steve says:

Check out the Bowman piece

“Consequently, the Braves were forced to wait and possibly miss other opportunities to improve their team. They had some interest in Nick Swisher and might have been able to land him before the Yankees did last week. But to get Swisher, who could have filled their need for a left fielder, Atlanta would have likely had to trade some of the players it was offering to San Diego.”

If the Braves would have had to give up pieces they would have needed to get Peavy, then the Yanks could pull a 3-way here, as Joe was suggesting the other night. I would imagine the Yanks would be the ones who end up with Peavy.

When 3 (good) writers all have the same story, there’s something to it.

9. Manimal says:

If I were GM
    -Inquire about Dejesus
    -Talk to a NL team and try to work out a 3 way deal sending swish somewhere in return for dejesus
    -Keep on pushing CC to sign
    - Off Tex 135 mil over 6 years.

• Manimal says:

Offer*

• Old Ranger says:

Agree with the last two items.
      CC and Tex on the roster would make us a solid contender. I would rather have those two and pass on anyone else…use our money next year when a few very good position players are FA’s (going for any more pitchers stunts the progression of some of the young guns). We have many good young arms, now is the time to try for young athletic position players…right?

• TurnTwo says:

“We have many good young arms, now is the time to try for young athletic position players…right?”

thats part of the idea of stockpiling the young guns, or so thats the bill of good we’ve been sold… whats more valuable than low-cost, high upside pitching prospects in today’s market?

• TurnTwo says:

Swisher > DeJesus

10. Old Ranger says:

Swish is gon’a be a very unhappy man, if he gets traded…he was one guy that wanted the Yanks. I too, read about hints of a trade…Swisher to…??? For…??? But I ignored it as just a story (made-up). Oh well, we will see when we see. How many days to spring training? 27/09.

11. Manimal says:

How can we top Angels 160/8 offer? 8 years is just ridiculous.

• Steve says:

Tex is 28 and is a fitness fanatic. That would make him 36 when the contract expires, which is still 2 years younger than Mr Deca Durabolin was when we signed him in 2001.

Did you have a problem with the Yanks giving a 10 year deal to A-Rod at age 32?

12. C.Panella says:

swisher will not be flipped…Dejesus can be had for kennedy/veras….Why would you trade the only player on the team capable of playing first base in hopes of signing tex? That doesnt make sense not a risk worth taking if tex signs elseware we are screwed

• Old Ranger says:

True, hopefully for him, and to some degree the team. We do have Miranda, he would need to be platooned with Nady, but he kills righty’s. I think that would be a reach…a long reach! 27/09.

13. Steve says:

Great interview with Vincent Gennaro by Lane Meyer of NoMaas.

Some highlights:

-CC is worth anywhere from 25-30 mil per year by his player valuation model. Total package could be a whopping 200 mil

-Tex is worth 21 for 6 or 7 years

-The Yanks can afford everything they need, and can’t afford NOT to win 95 games and make the playoffs. Don’t believe them when they talk about having a budget.

-The “Marry-Kill-Fuck” thing for Lowe/Burnett/Sheets is hilarious.

• TurnTwo says:

yeah, i dont buy any of this “we cant afford to sign two major FAs” BS.

gotta take hold of some sort of leverage in negotiations with these guys, so thats the game Cashman is playing… but we all know the Steinbrenner boys are ready to open up those wallets.

• Steve says:

With the Yanks charging 40 grand each (and up) for premium seats and the AL East getting tougher each year, the payoff is huge for winning and penalty is great for losing. Throw in YES ratings and playoff revenues lost/gained. They can’t afford NOT to win.

14. B.George says:

Does anyone listen that shmuck Michael Kay’s radio show……some instances to show hes an absolute moron:

1) The day Mike Mussina retires he spends a half hour saying how they had a strained relationship and how they dont like each other….have some friggin respect the guy battled for us for 8 years.

2) Says over and over again how Phil Hughes is not a good pitcher and he has not chance of being a great pitcher and basically gives oral sex to Joba every chance he can get.

3) Says that he will be dissapointed in the Yanks if they even negotiate with Manny because he is a cancer to the team no matter his talent and got himself traded from the Redsox but then says Knicks need to start Stephon Marbury because he gives you the best chance to win meanwhile he forced his way out of 3 going on his 4th team.

Words do not describe my hatred for this man. He is bias beyond belief and has no idea what he is talking about and talks about random things when he is doing games. YES please just have Al Leiter do the games thats all we need…please.

• Steve says:

Sorry to disappoint you, but Al Leiter just signed with the new MLB network. He’s supposed to still be doing some YES games, but much less than last year. Personally, I can do without Al. I like Singleton, O’Niell and Cone (in that order). Can’t stand Flaherty, way too serious and no sense of humor.

To each his own, I guess.

• UWS says:

Not only that, but Kay just re-upped with YES for a bunch more years. He blows, and we’re stuck with him.

• Steve says:

and he re-upped with ESPN radio as well.

• B.George says:

Flaherty sucks you know what he just rabbles on and on does color commentery and play by play at the same time……to listen to him bash phil hughes just pisses me up…sounds like a type of yankee fan that gives yankee fans a bad name….and the way he bashed mussina the day he retired put a bad taste in my mouth

15. B.George says:

*to listen to Michael Kay bash Phil HUghes

16. Larry says:

I’d like to see Moose in the YES booth. Smart and straight shooter.