Dec

All we need is just a little patience

We’ve harped on many themes throughout the annals of RAB, but perhaps none more consistently than patience. It’s easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and let your emotions guide you to a thought. What’s easy, though, isn’t always right. Just because we prefer instant gratification doesn’t mean it’s the best result.

Patience, in this instance, has won the day. It started last off-season with the Santana non-deal. The Yankees exercised patience in two ways there. First, they decided to hold onto Phil Hughes, knowing he would not be nearly as good as Santana in 2008, and probably wouldn’t surpass him, even in the best case scenario, until Santana’s entered his decline. Yet they recognized Hughes as young, cheap, controllable talent. Holding onto him not only gave them a good young pitcher, but meant they could allocate resources elsewhere.

They also exercised patience in waiting for a comparable option for a better price. WIth CC Sabathia headed for free agency, and with little to no shot of the Indians locking him, the Yanks knew that they could get him while sacrificing just a first round pick. There were no guarantees there, of course, but the Yankees apparently deemed it a worthy gamble. If you’re going to disagree with their strategy, I think that’s the issue.

Finally, the Yankees were patient with CC during this slow opening to the off-season. People started to panic when he didn’t immediately respond to the Yanks’ offer. As time dragged on, the speculation started to ramp up. CC wants to play on the West Coast. He’ll take a discount to play for the Giants. Many New York media personalities screamed that the team should forget him, that he’s playing them for fools. Yet the Yankees exercised patience.

Now they still have Hughes, Kennedy, and the other guys they’d have given up for Santana. They have a comparable pitcher in Sabathia. The contract might seem a bit longer, and there is that debatable opt-out clause, but I think you’ll see similar outputs from the southpaws in 2009. At least, the Yankees are banking on it.

I hope this means that Yankees fans will now exercise some patience when thinking about and pontificating on baseball issues. Thinks don’t happen with a snap of the fingers. They take time to develop. This applies to trades, free agency signings, and prospect development. In other words, don’t write Ian Kennedy off because he pitched poorly in 2008 (as an example). He just might need a bit more time to fully bake.

In the end, this is just a really long way of saying: “WHY THE FUCK IS THIS BURRITO TAKING SO LONG TO COOK IN THIS MICROWAVE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!” Once it’s done, it might be the greatest microwaved burrito you’ve ever eaten.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. A.D. says:

CASH STILL GOT PLAYED OPT-OUT CLASUE MEANS CC DOESN’T WANT TO BE A YANKEE, DEAL ISN’T DONE PULL TEH CONTRACT!!1!

2. dan says:

LOUD NOISES!

That was a really funny way to end a serious post.

3. jsbrendog says:

it was one hell of a burrito. saw it with my own eyes.

and now:

“I’ve been walking these streets at night
    Just trying to get it right (Need some patience, yeah)
    It’s hard to see with so many around
    You know I don’t like being stuck in a crowd (Could use some patience, yeah)
    And the streets don’t change but maybe the name
    I ain’t got time for the game
    ‘Cause I need you (Patience, yeah)
    Yeah, yeah well I need you
    Oh, I need you (Take some patience)
    Whoa, I need you (Just a little patience is all we need)
    Ooh, this ti- me…. “

4. A.D. says:

In case anyone was worried that news would let the Peavy rumor die

5. UWS says:

I know it was brought up a couple of days back: Please please please make “WHY THE FUCK IS THIS BURRITO TAKING SO LONG TO COOK IN THIS MICROWAVE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!” into a T-shirt.

I beg you. I’ll do anything. ANYTHING.

6. pat says:

If only Vo could see how happy we are now. Alas, everybody is just to jerky.

7. Shamus says:

Again, just want to again take this time to apologize….

Yesterday, in an angst-filled moment, I criticized CC Sabathia for not jumping at the Yankees original offer almost a month ago.

I stooped to calling him….

‘Fatbathia’.

Common sense has prevailed, and I do apologize.

This site rocks. The posters on here are fabulous. As are the authors.

Great job from Vegas, fellas. Safe travels home…

8. Is there something I’m missing? Both of these players, from nearly the same era, have almost the same name and the SAME nickname…

9. christopher says:

WOW…i dont go on the computer for a day and come back to CC being signed, the team may be close on Lowe and is interested in sheets with burnett looking like he is off the board. And Hank want Manny

If they get lowe I dont see them resigning petitte. HAving CC and Lowe and their 200+ innings would allow them the luxury of taking a chance on a very talented pitcher who is an injury risk in sheets.

Starting to look like that under 200 million budgett is going out the window. Hope they do leave some room for the offense even if that means only signing 2 pitchers.

What happens to Kennedy? With Hughes and Aceves in AAA, do they look to deal him at some point this season?

• pat says:

Dude 80 came off the books so far about 28 million has been put back on, in the form of cc and swish

• christopher says:

but al indications are that they will sign 2 more pitchers. also do not forget about raises. I am pretty sure that their payroll was at around 140 million before CC signed.

You think they are coming in below 200?

• pat says:

By my rudimentary calculations we are on the hook right now for about 154 million.
          Arod-32
          CC-23
          jeet-20
          mo-15
          posada-13
          damon-13- off books next year
          matsui-13- same
          swisher- 5.3
          cano- 6 mil
          wang- about 4 or 5
          marte-3.75
          molina-1
          bullpen is all pretty much .5 mil Say 4 million total.

Say we add sheets at 15 and OMFG please tex at 20 thats 35 more to bring us to about 190. I could honestly see the payroll being very close to 200 mil.

10. christopher says:

ESPN is reporting that the Phillies are not one of the teams in for lowe. it was previosly reported that the phillies and the yanks were the front runners

also reported is that the mets will be meeting with boras regarding lowe and perez.

might we have the making of a mets vs. yankees battle for lowe

• Old Ranger says:

I don’t think that will happen. The Yanks will just go so far, then drop it on the mets. There are more FA out there. 27/09.

11. pat says:

In case anybody was wondering, Cots already updated and has CC on the yankees.

12. MrJigginz says:

I have a favor to ask…There was a link to an in-depth article about CC Sabathia’s arm durability and concerns here on RAB.It was in an article within the last month,I believe.I’ve been searching for it,but can’t find it…Does someone have that link?

13. mike says:

ESPN and the RedSox Nation which works for them looks like they are covering a funeral – this makes me very happy.

Now if the Halos will step-up and sign Tex, AJ goes to Atlanta to increase the Met’s Misery Complex, Sheets & Pettite are Yanks, Tampa signs the lunatic Bradley to screw their chemistry and Lowe takes his bloated reputation and 16mm a year to Boston this will have been a fine off-season….plus figuring that Beckett will want CC money (or get it in arb) after this year – I’m enjoying passing around some pain

14. E-ROC says:

I wonder how long it will take before people start coming up with trade scenarios with California teams when Sabathia has a bad start.

15. patrick says:

ESPN reporting yankes offered burnett guaranteed 5th year

16. Malcard89 says:

This is the second time axl rose and this song has been referenced on RAB, and i just wanna let u kno…. I LOVE GNR AND THIS SONG!!!! OMG!!!! one of teh greatests acoustic guitar songs everr!!!1!1!1!!!!

17. Noone important says:

Would it honestly be impossible to sign tex i mean theres been reports were intrested in manny, tex is more valuable to us, hes younger, better deffense, the bat in my eyes is equal but tex is better and they would both come at about the same price

18. jobatheheat says:

Pinstripe post just reported that yankees beat braves offer for Burnett .I think guaranteed 5th year to.

19. Steve H says:

So the Yankees got CC? Truly shocked, I had read so much about his desires (of course not from CC himself)

I hope all the naysayers enjoyed their first lesson in Negotiating 101.

20. mustang says:

“6:09pm: Crasnick’s report about the Yanks’ five-year offer to Burnett is online now. Crasnick’s source says a deal could be in place as soon as tomorrow. He says the dollar figure is not known but Burnett’s agent is believed to be seeking a deal approaching Zambrano’s five years, $91.5″

Can some PLEASE explain this to me.

21. Lloyd Johnson says:

We got: SWISHER and GARDNER. Thats two gauranteed…OUTS. Better be looking at some Offense, if we don’t ReSign ABREU…….

22. Baseballnation says:

I’d expect to some serious chase for Sheets if we lock up Burnett. I hope the Yankees give him 3 years with a team option for 4th, that wayif Sabathia opts out after the third year the yankees can pick up the 4th year option on Sheets as security. And if getting the three pitchers mean the Yankees are not going after Tex, thenI would suspect we are seeing the beginning to the end ofPhil Hughes tenure in the Bronx.

23. Ken says:

Crasnick from ESPN is reporting the Yanks offered 5yrs for AJ and he could sign with either the Yanks or braves by tomorow.

24. Ken says:

I like AJ his A-game is as good as anybody and I perfer him over Lowe. Maybe he will be like a part time employee working for the Yankees and they will fill in a temp when ever he goes down with an injury i.e. Hughes, Kennedy, Aceves. What about Bettances, Brackman? Will our young guys ever get a shot to pitch in the bigs? Are they going to completely bail on their young future arms and go with all expensive veterans pitchers?

• steve (different one) says:

well, they have CC, Wang, and Joba right now. they may add Burnett and i guess Pettitte? Pettitte would only be a 1 year deal and could be replaced by Hughes next year?

so you are looking at 3/5th of your rotation as built from your system. it’s hard to ask for much more than that.

if those guys start banging down the door in 2 years, well, that will be a great problem to worry about then.

25. Reggie C. says:

Well … if there are 2 competing 5 year offers then it comes down to preference. I think AJ could flourish as a Brave. Hopefully, he’s looking for a change in divisional scenery so the money isn’t paramount.

26. Old Ranger says:

CC signing I like but (still don’t think it was a must), adding AJ @ 5years…no way!
    Sheets @ 2+ opt., with Andy for one…not bad. Two reasons; One Tex…enough said! Two, our young guns, we have a couple pitchers that could be coming into their own starting 2009 or 2010. Why clog up the rotation with guys for 5+ years that will only be on top of their game for 3 to 5- years? We have some others that would give us 5 to ten years of good work at less cost.
    Andy would be gone after 2009 so there would be room for Phil…he will be ready to pitch in the show in 2009. We can use him as the injury starter for this year and to back up Joba…but then what do we do with the other guys when they show that they too can do the job? Trade them? Trade the vets? Or use a couple of them for a trade this year for a CF…other then Phil, Coke, Melancon? 27/09.

27. [...] as it became clear that the Yankees would indeed land CC Sabathia, Joe wrote a piece about the importance of patience. He talked about the Sabathia signing through the lens of the Johan Santana shenanigans that went [...]