Dec

Davidoff: Yanks working to sign Nick Punto

Hardly big news by any standard, but Ken Davidoff drops in a note that the Yanks and Nick Punto are working on a deal. The Yanks have to replace Wilson Betemit somehow, and I guess Punto fits the bill. The defensive whiz and former Twin just turned 31 in November and has a career line of .252/.319/.332. He had his best season last year as he managed a 99 OPS+ in limited playing. Punto would clearly be around as a defensive replacement and not for his pop off the bench.

RAB Note: As you read this, I’m taking my first law school exam. If major New York news breaks between 10 a.m. and noon eastern time, look for the Las Vegas contingent to have the early word, but be mindful of the time difference. We’ll get stories up as fast as we can.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Brett says:

As someone who wants to go to law school when I graduate I can simply say good luck

2. Matthew says:

Punto is good defensive infield insurance, can give Jeter/ARod/Cano days off, not a bad signing.

Good luck on your law exam dude…

3. Frank says:

Good luck, Ben.

4. Dylan says:

Good luck on the exam!!

5. mustang says:

Good luck, Dude.
    One step at time.

6. UWS says:

Good luck on the exam, Ben.

7. MrJigginz says:

First and foremost,good luck on the exam…Now,as for Punto?Solid glove guy.Good role player.As long as they don’t go crazy with the dollars,it should be a good move.

8. jsbrendog says:

may MO guide your answers on your exam my friend

9. A.D. says:

Punto > Cano last year

10. DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

YES! Might we have a bench for the first time in about 4 years? SWEET! Bullpen should be nice. Starting pitching with a couple more moves that I am hoping is Sheets for two and Pettitte for one and not Lowe for 4 and / or AJ for 5.

If Cano can get it thru his thick skull that he needs to bust his ass and use his head ALL the time and not just one at bat per game and a few plays in the field we might have a team that could do damage. Also Damon and Matsui on walk years I am hoping for somewhat career average numbers if possible please.

Derek should be healthy.

I hope Alex the Purple Lipped Princess has got his mind correct and is mentally healthy.

But CASHMAN PLEASE SIGN MANNY! Give him one year 35 mill.

11. 34hughes says:

we dont need manny

12. MOOSE says:

BEN,

DON’T FORGET TO SPOT ALL THE ISSUES AND APPLY THE “IRAC” METHOD TO YOUR ESSAYS….AHHHH!!!!!

Haha, ahhh law school, those were the days. Enjoy it my friend, it only gets harder after that.

13. RCK says:

But what is his wOBA?

Hope the exam goes well, Ben.

14. jsbrendog says:

opt out clause after 3 years for cc? wtf

15. Nady Nation says:

Wow, an opt out for CC after 3 years. Hopefully we don’t have another A-Rod situation on our hands

16. UWS says:

The opt-out is actually not that bad. Think about it: he does great and wants to leave after 3 years. At that point, the next crop of young pitchers is kicking the doors down. Yankees happily bid CC goodbye after thanking him for his great service and 2 WS rings. Everyone moves on.

/puts down crack pipe

17. Old Ranger says:

Ben…
    We all know you will ace it…but good luck anyhow.27/09.

Radnom…I think that was the longest post you have ever done, Good show. 27/09.

18. Steve says:

Good luck Ben-I just the GRE’s yesterday and have been partying ever since.

19. sabernar says:

Is Punto really any better than Ransom? No one expects Ransom to put up a 170 OPS+ like he did last year, but he plays all the IF positions, plus he’s cheap (and about the same age as Punto). Punto has a career OPS+ of 74. 74!!! That’s horrible no matter how good a fielder he is. He’s really not that good of a player. I would rather have seen them sign Loretta than Punto.

• Steve says:

What are you talking about? They wanted a defensive IF player to go “along” with Ransom.

Lorretta is old, hits about as well about Punto now, and is no where close to the defensive player he is.

20. Brian says:

First exam ever?

Good luck with that. The first one is always a bitch.

After that you start to get lazy.

21. SF Yanks says:

Can someone explain to me exactly why the opt-out clause is a bad deal? Say C.C can’t handle the pressure and pitches poorly for three years, CC would want out and we wouldn’t want him here so its a win-win. If he does good, more than likely he’ll want to stay. I’m failing to see the downside to this. In fact, I think every contract should include an opt-out after every single year. Kidding aside, I’m obviously missing a huge chunk of logic to this. What’s the deal?

22. RobC says:

Considering defense and range factor
    what do we like more
    Jeter at SS and Swisher at 1B
    or
    Punto at SS and Jeter at 1B

of course the unknow is Jeter at first but one would think he would be well above avg.

My son would love this. He was born in northeast PA when S/WB was a Philies team and Punto was his favorite. My son became a Yankees fan and converted me from the Phillies.

• Ben K. says:

Considering only defense and range factor, the former. But considering the fact that your infield offense would then, for lack of a better phrase, suck balls, the latter.

23. jsbrendog says:

wtf? haha

24. radnom says:

Just seeing what they do and don’t allow in comments.

25. UWS says:

You’re lucky Ben is up to his ears in torts right now. Otherwise your ass would be BANNINATED!

26. radnom says:

What do you think gave me the idea?
    Also, I’m bored.