Dec

Friday evening notes: Bernie and Scott Proctor

A few notes to keep us busy as Friday evening turns into Saturday morning (and my studying for my contracts final gets more and more boring):

• A few hours ago, we talked about Bernie and the WBC. Now, it sounds as though Bernie is going to make a serious run for the team. For the first time since 2006, Bernie is going to don his baseball uniform and play for the Carolina Giants of the Puerto Rico Winter League. I really hope this is simply a tune-up for the WBC and not the beginning of a Major League comeback attempt for the 40-year-old Bernie.
  • The injured Scott Proctor was non-tendered by the Dodgers. Somewhere, Joe Torre is crying into his green tea. What ever will he do without his favorite toy next season?
Categories : News

1. DanElmaleh says:

I thought Torre drank wheat grass now.

2. Steve says:

It will really be a kick to see Bernie play again.

Hey if Luis Polonia can still do it, then why not?

3. dan says:

Somehow Scotty managed to strike out more than 10 per 9 innings with a bum elbow.

4. TurnTwo says:

FYI: looks like Daniel Cabrera and Ty Wiggington were both non-tendered by their respective teams.

one would imagine they’ll be picked up pretty quick in the open market.

• Thomas says:

Johnny Gomes was non-tendered. We should sign him and have him fight Shelley for a place on the 40 man roster.

• Steve says:

Daniel Cabrera could make a very interesting reliever. Tall and wild enough to be intimidating, throws hard enough to strike guys out.

Also, maybe if he drops a pitch or two he has better control. I’d take a shot, his upside is huge.

• Brian says:

Ty Wigginton may be snagged as well.

5. DanElmaleh says:

I actually would rather see the Yankees pick up Tavares than trade for Cameron. I love contact guys who can steal bases. Am I crazy?

• Ben K. says:

Yes. Taveras is terrible. He’s got a career OBP of .331 and a career OPS+ of 72 which includes two years in Colorado. While I realize Cameron’s career OBP is .340, at least he has power and isn’t a complete waste of a lineup spot like Taveras.

• Thomas says:

Yes, you are crazy. Willy Taveras had an OPS of .604 or an OPS+ of 56 last year. His career OPS+ is 72. Oh yeah, his slugging was .296 last year at Coors.

He is awful, essential he is Brett Gardner, if Gardner never got on base.

He was worse than Melky.

• Steve H says:

Cameron’s OPS+ the last 4 years 114, 121, 103, 110. You might be crazy, Taveras is terrible.

• al says:

yes you are crazy. hes worse than melky and costs more..

• Steve says:

Cameron will likely be platooning with Gardner. Look at his splits vs lefties.

.951 OPS, you can live w/that. Plus, he’s a good late inning threat off the bench.

• Steve H says:

I’m rooting for Gardner. But if Cameron comes here, he’s starting 140+ games, not 35 against lefties.

• Steve says:

Not saying a strict lefty/righty thing, obviously match ups will decide who plays and when.

But Gardner will get 400 ABs. Start 3 days in CF, 1 day in LF when Damon needs a day off, late inning defensive replacement, stuff like that. He’ll see plenty of playing time.

• whozat says:

Gardner will get late-innings defensive time, and when Cameron/Damon/Nady need a day off. If he shows anything during that time, then he’ll earn more ABs. But they’re not going to acquire Cameron to play him half-time.

• Steve says:

Why not? He’s 36, and if you look at his splits he shouldn’t play everyday at this point.

Also, the manager LOVES Gardner. Always gives him some credit for the good september record they had in 08.

• whozat says:

Because Gardner will be lucky to sniff an 80 OPS+.

Look, he walked a lot in the minors, but also struck out a lot. And it’s not because he was swinging hard and hoping to drive the ball. What that tells me is that he was taking lots of pitches and hoping to get walked. That’s going to happen a LOT less in the bigs. Pitchers have better command, and nastier stuff. He can’t hurt them swinging, so they’ll pound the zone. He’ll get walks off guys who don’t know where it’s going, but he’s not going to get on base enough to really use his speed, and he’s not going to drive the ball enough to put himself on 2nd or 3rd very often.

That’s why I don’t think Brett Gardner should be starting over Mike Cameron. Even a .700 OPS against righties is better than what I think Gardner will do. His skill set just doesn’t seem like it’ll translate.

• Steve says:

If you’re looking at OPS, you’re looking at the wrong stat. He’s not that type of player, he’s a tablesetter. I only care about OBP, Runs Scored and to a lesser extent SB. If he’s getting on base, and catching balls he has no business getting in CF, then he can help the team win games, especially low scoring ones against tough pitchers. Which the Yanks fared poorly in 2008.

I agree the strikeouts are a concern, but if he gets on base at a .350 clip or better then I don’t care.

• LeftyLarry says:

Gardner was a different hitter 2nd time around.Yanks did a good job getting him to stop slapping and start using his legs.Throw out the first go around and assume the last 40 at bats were real.
                  Heck first item around they were playing ihm like a bad hitting pitcher, 2nd time around he drove one over the CF’s head that carried over 400 feet.
                  Different guy when he uses his legs.

• Ben K. says:

You’re talking 40 ABs. You can’t evaluate him on that.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

but if he gets on base at a .350 clip or better then I don’t care

If Cash thought he could get on base at a .350 clip, he wouldn’t spend $10 mil and Melky to get Cameron.

• whozat says:

“If you’re looking at OPS”

Didja read the rest of the comment? I said this:

“but he’s not going to get on base enough to really use his speed, and he’s not going to drive the ball enough to put himself on 2nd or 3rd very often”

Does that sound like I wasn’t thinking about his OBP? I wrote at length about why I don’t think he’ll rack up the walks in the bigs. And, I don’t think anyone serious sees him as a .300 hitter in the majors. He was a .280 hitter in AAA. If he hits .260, he’ll be lucky. He’ll need to earn 90 more points of OBP by walking to get to the .350 plateau you’ve set. And, I agree…if he could get on base that much he’d be a fine starting CFer.

But I don’t think that has a realistic chance of happening.

• Steve says:

His career OBP in the minors is .389. So I don’t think a MLB .350 OBP is being overly optimistic. Might be a bit light, actually.

Were talking about the #9 hitter, people.

• LeftyLarry says:

GArdner can be a CONTACT GUY WHO STEALS BASES.Give him A CHANCE.

6. al says:

any chance the yanks pick up proctor on a minor league deal. i thought he did pretty good in the begining of some seasons before torre had his way with him..

• Aaron says:

Why bother? We have enough young arms in-house that there is no need to throw any kind of money towards Proctor. Middle relief is really not an area of huge concern right now for the Yankess, in my opinion.

• Marcus says:

Ha. We should have a top 5 relief staff in the league next year.

Our relief should have no worries even with a few injuries.

I love our relief staff. Only positive to watch last year. Besides Mussina finally gettin some love. That 20 win season will push him into the HOF.

7. Reggie C. says:

Don’t ignore the UCC stuff!!

Royals are going to kick themselves for giving that contract to Farnsworth. Proctor is going to have a superior year. I wonder where he lands….

8. VO says:

forget camerone forget melky etc SIGN BERNIE!!! in reality im joking but best of luck to him

9. Steve says:

OK, Britton and Justian Christian are gone to make room for CC/AJ. The Yanks still need a 5th starter, who will likely be Sheets or Pettitte.

Who do you take off the 40 man to make room?

Remember that this usually means they get non tendered, like Britton and Christian just were.

10. Mike Pop says:

I didnt wanna say I told ya so, but I told all of you us signing Burnett was invevitable.. Not braggging or anything lol cause it was nothing to brag about.. But I told all ya’ll

• K.B.D. says:

Will you notify us if anything you predict doesn’t come to fruition? It’s gotta be a two way street.

• Mike Pop says:

He wins 84 games in his yankee career with an era of 3.67 and 1000 k’s

• Ivan says:

Well I too said he was gonna be yankee even though I didn’t want him to be.

Nevertheless, the rotation has the potential to look dope and might look even better if Pettitte sign or could even have more talent if they add Hughes to the rotation. Either way, I gotta admit, Burnett is gonna help this team.

• Mike Pop says:

Not gonna lie, I will most likely get his jersey and I def wont miss his starts…I wanna see him k 11 or 12 guys and completely dominate a game.. Def looking forward to it

• Ivan says:

We all know you love ya self some Burnett.

Now if he sucks, you gotta admit it makes ya look bad.

• Mike Pop says:

I hope he does well. Im so excited for the season though its ridiculous.

If it makes me look bad cause he suck, Ill start commenting under the name of CC4EVA! as long as he does well.. haha

11. Marcus says:

This stinks.

Britton was one of my favorite relievers.

12. al says: