Dec

Manny probably won’t retire after all

Now that Manny Ramirez and Scott Boras know that the market for the slugger isn’t as robust as they hoped, the dynamic duo has gone crawling back to the Dodgers. While Boras still contends that a market for Manny will soon materialize, I wonder if they’ll be able to get the Dodgers to put that generous two-year, $45-million offer back on the table. Everyone in baseball knows that Ned Colletti will be competing with himself for the services of Ramirez.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Andiamo says:

You have to wonder what an unhappy Manny is worth.

2. ???? says:

Manny belongs on the Dodgers, where we will never see him.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

If he is not on the Yankees, the Dodgers are the next best place (other than say the Nats) although they could get to the WS.

• Ryan S. says:

Yeah, if Manny ain’t in pinstripes, I want the dude as far away from the AL East as possible.

At this point, I’d like Ramirez to go to a team in the NL that is scheduled to visit Fenway during interleague play. The entire world is dying to see a Manny vs. Boston series.

3. Yank Crank says:

But Manny could protect A-Rod in the lineup!!!

• ???? says:

yes, but we will rue the day if we sign Manny………………ok maybe we won’t rue the day but we don’t need Manny especially since we got Mr. Teix.

• Mike W. says:

If we could trade 2 out of the 3 of Matsui, Swisher, Nady and plug Manny into our DH role, would there be a better 3/4/5 in baseball than Tex/AROD/Manny?

• ???? says:

No, there would not be a better 3/4/5 in baseball and that definitely is enticing but I don’t think it is worth the headache that comes with Manny.

• Ryan S. says:

I think the entire “Manny is clubhouse cancer!” thing is total crap, I don’t buy that for a minute. He’s a mercenary and a diva, no doubt, but that doesn’t mean he’s a negative clubhouse presence. For all intents and purposes, he’s a solid veteran that’s going to get along with his teammates (I know he gelled really well with the kids in LA), be kinda goofy and aloof as he’s been known for, and be a complete terror at the plate.

He’s one of the top 3 hitters in baseball right now (and probably one of the top 10 all time), and he transforms any lineup he is in. Focusing on anything else is silly regurgitated media BS.

• ???? says:

I never said, “Manny is a clubhouse cancer!”

• Ryan S. says:

Lots of people have though…I wasn’t necessarily referring directly to you.

I don’t think we have the need to make room for Ramirez, but to have a 3/4/5 of Rodriguez/Ramirez/Teixeira … I don’t think much of any kind of headache would ever come from that either…except for the opposing team of course.

• radnom says:

I can’t beleive anyone feels this way.

Why did the Red Sox, a team known for making smart, rational decisions, trade away “one of the top 3 hitters in baseball” in the middle of a playoff push if all that stuff is really “silly .. media BS”.

If you think he is worth the headache, fine, but don’t blindly turn your back to what he did in Boston. The dude quit on the team. I don’t want him anywhere near the Yankees.

• Ryan S. says:

That was some bullshit, I agree, but it was also more than just Ramirez doing that … Boras was an accomplice in orchestrating that fiasco and he was advising Manny the entire time.

I also think that was a unique circumstance that is not going to happen again, and as a result of that, somebody can get Ramirez on only a 2 year contract, which is pretty amazing. The pros outweigh the cons and I its unfair to expect Ramirez to act like that again. There’s more to the story than just Manny “quitting on his team” – this was a culmination of years of a rocky marriage. And if the Red Sox could see into the future when they signed Ramirez, is there any doubt they’d have still signed him?

• Count Zero says:

Just in case you haven’t seen it when I posted it before, Manny’s numbers in July (his “quit on Boston” month):

.347/.473/.587/1.060 OPS+ 179

I’m not advocating signing Manny at this point, but really — his “quitting” has been significantly overstated.

• toad says:

The numbers are meaningless when he sat himself out of games with phony injuries.

Actually that’s wrong. They mean the Sox really wanted to be done with him, numbers notwithstanding. “Cancer in the clubhouse” may be strong, but he’s a guy you can’t count on, and he’s pulled this stuff before.

4. E-ROC says:

I’m actually rooting for the Giants to join the fray, but that probably won’t happen.

5. Mike W. says:

I just got off the phone with my Yankees ticket rep and it looks like my turn is coming up very soon to pick my seats for my seat relocation for this year. It looks like I may have to take seats in/near a foulpole section. Has anyone sat in seats like this? Is it completely annoying to be staring at the foulpole the whole game?

6. Januz says:

If Manny goes back to LA, i will be so happy. Check out this stat from last July.During his career, the Red Sox veteran has belted 29 home runs at Yankee Stadium — the fourth most all-time of any opponent. Ramirez attended high school in the Bronx, so maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he seems to make the stadium his home whenever he arrives. http://www.bostonredsox.com.
    With Ramirez likely gone from the AL, and CC, AJ, and Tex here, it looks like the best offseason in years.

7. jesseharoldkreist says:

I think Cash is going to pull another swoop here: 1 yr/$25million.

8. Eirias says:

I think Manny should take a 1-year deal wherever he can get it. So long as he performs well, he’ll certainly get more in next year’s free agent class. Sure, he’ll be one year older, but he’s getting nothing now (relatively speaking).

9. brian says:

When does the partial plans go on sale?

10. mustang says:

“robust as they hoped, the dynamic duo has gone crawling back to the Dodgers.”

There is some justice in this world even if he is still going to make more money then I will ever see.