Dec

MLB Network press conference

The guys from MLB Network are launching into their big press conference right now, but I’d say a solid 75% of the media guys are out to lunch/staking out the elevators. Harold Reynolds, Matt Vasgersian and Hazel May are on stage as part of the crew that will host MLB Tonight, a Baseball Tonight type show. I’ll update this post if they say anything exciting, it seems like they have their stuff together.

Update (1:40pm): The network is launching in July 2009. It’ll be the largest launch in television history, and it sounds like most cable providers have decided to carry it.

Update (1:45pm): My bad, it launches on January 1st. They’ll broadcast the original tape of Don Larsen’s perfect game on Day One, original commercials and all. Their facility is in Secaucus.

Update (1:50pm): This sounds like a very ambitious endeavor. They’re going to have a daily eight hour live highlight show (not the same broadcast crew for all eight hours, obviously) and have already enlisted a ton of high end TV talent, including Al Leiter.

Categories : Asides

1. A.D. says:

Ohhh Secaucus.

Hopefully this doesn’t turn into the NFL network fiasco that is currently going on

• Roddy says:

Sorry for being naive… But what’s going on with the NFL network?

• Clayton says:

Most people in this country dont get it as part of basic cable because the NFL tried to force it down the providers throats while charging more for the channel then almost any other basic cable channel.

• A.D. says:

Best comparison is YES Cablevision’s first year

On top of that NFL network used to be more available, especially when they didn’t have games, but then they decided to charge a bunch more for it assuming that cable providers would cave, especially since they have Thursday games, so far they haven’t, and I think NFL network doesnt want to be an HBO style premium channel, so it can’t even be purchased for extra if you want it, leaving most people in the country without even the option of having NFL network from their cable provider.

All that has happened is people don’t have the network, so people either have to go to bars or not watch the Thursday game if its not in their home region. Basically NFL network thus far is loosing the battle

• E-ROC says:

Exactly. I don’t have the option for the NFL Network which pissed me off when I came to Mountain Home from Turkey. NBA TV even isn’t a part of the basic package.

2. E-ROC says:

I wonder if Mountain Home, ID will add this channel to my current plan. I’m already without the NFL Network. For reasons unknown, Time Warner doesn’t have the NFL Network channel here in Mountain Home. I wouldn’t be surprised if the MLB Network doesn’t broadcast here. Thank God for live streaming online!

3. owine says:

MLB Network already has carriage agreements with DirecTV, Comcast, Cox and Time Warner as well as 32 other video providers. Negotiations for the channel were directly tied to MLB Extra Innings carriage when it looked like it would be exclusive to DirecTV. Don’t worry about the NFL Network fiasco happening here.

4. jsbrendog says:

meh, not an al leiter fan. now harold reynolds, i am

5. Manimal says:

I honestly can’t wait till this comes out. About time MLB made a channel. For you Direct TV people it will be channel 213, one channel above NFL network.

6. UWS says:

Will RCN carry it?

• Jamal G. says:

From what I read, if your provider carries the MLB Extra Innings package, then they are forced to carry the MLB Network.

• owine says:

I remember reading that during the negotiations, but I see no published reports specifically referring to MLB Network on RCN, simply Extra Innings. I’m surprised they don’t have some sort of channel finder on their website yet to help people know if they will be receiving the channel and steps to take if they will not.

7. Update (2:00pm): The PC is over. The Q&A was rather light since half the press is chowing down on the buffet.

Hopefully PeteAbe didn’t choke on his McRib. Those things are deathtraps, one of you guys should check on him.

8. A.D. says:

Dunno the accuracy of the list, but the most complete I’ve seen on coverage

9. Jamal G. says:

Here’s a list of the T.V. providers of MLB Network in the US, Canada, Mexico and Chile (Really?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Extra_Innings

10. [...] you’re looking for a way to kill your hangover spend New Years day, check out the new MLB Network. Baseball’s own TV channel debuts tomorrow at 6 p.m. with a Hot Stove League show. At 7 p.m., [...]