Dec

Open Thread: Dodgers interested in Abreu

Earlier today we got word that Team Torre had contacted Adam Dunn’s agent over the holidays expressing interest in signing the offensive monster, and now we find out that they’re also interested in ex-Astros’ prospect Bobby Abreu. There’s also rumblings that the Dodgers are in talks to unload Andruw Jones on the Mets (ha!), which would free up some money even if they ate some of the … gulp … $22.1M left on Jones’ deal. So what does this all mean?

Manny & Boras better get their act together. That’s what.

The Angels have said they’re not going to bid on Manny, the Yanks don’t need him now that they have Tex, Boston sure as hell won’t go after him, and now the Dodgers appear to be moving on. What’s market is left for him? Would he really go to the Nationals? Can the Braves fit another $20M+ a year in their budget? Maybe the Giants get involved, but team ownership is still hungover from the Bonds’ saga. None of that is likely.

Having already turned down $45M over two years and the $25M he likely would have received in arbitration, Manny’s painted himself into a corner and has two options: go crawling back to Coletti, or retire. I’m very interested in seeing how this one plays out.

Use this as your open thread tonight. There’s no Monday Night Football, but Valero Alamo Bowl (Missouri vs Northwestern) is on the four-letter at 8pm. The hapless Rangers are taking on the Isles at home as well, and if you’re interested you should check out Blueseat Blogs. I’m filling in for Dave while he’s on vacation this week, and I have to say it’s way harder to blog about hockey than it is baseball. Talk about whatever you like here, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. steve (different one) says:

good for Bobby. i’m assuming he enjoyed playing for Joe, so this could be a nice situation for him.

he was a good guy, but the yankees need to get younger.

2. Manimal says:

Bobby Abreu running toward the wall = Manny’s personality.

Disaster.

Abreu costs less, is lefty, but isn’t as good as Manny.

3. Matt says:

You could also watch my college embarrass itself vs. Georgetown.

SWITCH TO A ZONE, CALHOUN!

4. anonymous says:

“Boston sure as hell won’t go after him”

Im not as confident as you about that.

5. Theo Epstein says:

nah trust me were not, we like bay so much we even cut our captain loose. yah were badass like tht

6. toad says:

Anyone who signs Manny better make it a one-year contract, so he’ll play hard to try to make more next year. Give him two years at less than he thinks he deserves and you’re asking for trouble.

7. Jay CT says:

Its more difficult to blog about hockey because most of America has forgotten that it exists!

8. VO says:

is it me or do we get a lot of baseball players here

9. Matt says:

Jeff Adrien doesn’t want to be fed. He wants to hunt.

10. VO says:

I for one hope that the dodgers sign abreu, and washington signs dunn. Then manny is really screwed

• VO says:

how much does abreu want anyway?

• Ryan S. says:

As Bobby is a pretty self-absorbed guy (not too surprising since he is to Venezuela what Peyton Manning is to the USA), he’s probably one of the guys most pissed off and offended by how he’s getting treated. He probably came into the off-season expecting a 4 or 5 year deal like Manny and I doubt he’d be happy with anything less than what Ibanez got. I hope Abreu signs with the Dodgers for decent money – a big market team that competes every year is the right kind of place for a player of his caliber.

I think Bobby is awesome, I loved him in the 3 hole and wouldn’t have minded one bit if he had stayed with us for another year, but now that we have Swisher and Teixeira … well … I think we’re a much more well rounded team for sure.

• anonymous says:

I think people are giving Mannys negatives too much credit. After what he did in LA these national league teams should be all over him for 2 year deals.

• al says:

agreed.. when he switched agents it was a gamble.. i think he HAD too much boras on the brain so to speak.. he is the best available hitter.. maybe the best hitter out there.. but being a boras client on an economic clamp down and no tex to up his value.. wtf is he going to do.. i can see cashman not signing andy and dumping nady and maybe swisher and getting a 1 to 2 year deal with manny.. and still come within financial targets.. matsui is here to stay he will retire a yankee and he could put up some fine numbers in 2009 in the dh role.. that line up along with the elite pitching we aquired and have in house.. sure it “might” mean a small payroll issue but does the end justify the means.. i think a lot of mannys pussy pains were caused by boras..

11. Matt says:

If the Mets really want to take on Andruw Jones instead of just shelling out for Manny, then they are awfully dumb.

• steve (different one) says:

or Abreu. or Burrell. or Bradley. or Junior.

with Andruw, you might as well just take 600 ABs and flush them down the toilet.

he’s done.

• Ryan S. says:

True that. I can understand taking a flier on Jones for $5M or so. If LAD eats HALF of Andruw’s salary, that is still $11M for a hunk of junk.

Anyone could probably have Manny at 2/40 at this point. If no one bites, I really do see Ramirez (via Boras, of course) going to both Coletti and Cashman and basically offering his wares for VERY cheap*.

Is ManRam a mercenary? Well yes, duh.

Is he also a competitor and a baseball player? Yes, he is. The man wants to hit 700 home runs and by god, he is physically capable of doing so. I think that means more to him than playing for less than he’s thinks he is worth.

*By cheap I mean about $18M annual salary – everything is relative.

• Reggie C. says:

You put put Manny in that Met lineup, and Jose Reyes could score 140 runs.

• Ryan S. says:

It would be pretty funny to see how much Reyes’ run totals, and David Wright’s overall numbers, change with the addition of Manny. Even during the season when it looked like Ramirez really might have gotten that 4/100M contract after all, I thought the Mets would be good suitors who would get the most out of him.

Adding ManRam makes the Mets the team to beat in what otherwise seems like a pretty wide open race. Its too bad they can’t spend too much money because they “didn’t” lose money in the Madoff scandal.

• Reggie C. says:

I know Minaya desperately wants to make a headline grabbing get, but this is one of the wrong kind. If the Dodgers do end up signing Dunn, then the Mets are in line to sign Manny at a 2 year/$ 45 million discount … if that. Can’t imagine the Wilpons would pass on that steal.

• steve (different one) says:

apparently Omar has sweated Manny for years, but it is the Wilpons who told him no way.

• Ryan S. says:

Its ridiculous. If I was a Mets fan I’d be so freaking pissed at the Wilpons … Ramirez and Lowe (who given, might still sign with them) could complete that team. The ownership has been willing to shell out the $$$, and what reason would it have to not want Ramirez, who is going to make their team kickass while also measurably boosting ratings and merch sales.

No, I really do think its because the first part of the equation … the cash, just isn’t there for him right now. What a shame the NYM get a double whammy – first a recession, than the Madoff stuff. They’re still making as big of moves as any other team who isn’t The Yankees, but I think the Mets could’ve made one more major move than they’re currently capable of if they weren’t in that Ponzi scheme.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

The Coupons are broke. They might have enough in their wall safe to pay for Lowe but not for Lowe and Manny.

• Matt says:

What, then, would we think their most pressing need is? With the improved bullpen, one could make the argument that getting a corner OF (another weak spot last year) is more important than sure-ing up the rotation.

12. mikeo says:

2 Defect from Cuba http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....id=3798491
    A talent scout who has seen Marti and Gomez playing at international events told ESPNdeportes.com that both are ready to play in the majors.

Gomez, 28, is a fast outfielder who was Rookie of the Year in 1997 and hit .394 with 51 runs scored and 41 RBIs in 66 games in the most recent National Series tournament. He has a .331 career average with Industriales.

-Hmmmm, maybe the Yankees will be presented with a CF in Gomez. He’s young 28 ….probably actually 35 but w/e

13. Jay CT says:

I still hope like he’ll the yanks sign Manny

14. E-ROC says:

If I’m the Giants, I am all over Manny like white on rice. You have a chance to win the division. Why not go all in, and possibly trade for Nady? That lineup would be greatly improved with Manny’s presence though it’ll probably still be bad.

• Matt says:

They could just splurge and do a bunch of one year deals. Bring in Manny and maybe one of Giambi or Abreu.

• 'The' Steve says:

I like it. They can pitch, and that division is awful.

Only trouble is Giambi, Manny, Abreu and Adam Dunn are all really DHs. They better hope their starters get a lot of swings and misses.

• Ryan S. says:

Yeah, I don’t buy the “We’re still getting over Barry!” thing. C’mon, you need an impact hitter and how is he not first on anyone’s list? Who gives a shit about what Scott Boras convinced him to do last year when he can mash as good as anyone else in the league.

The more I think about it, the more San Francisco might make the most sense for him right now. They have the money and they certainly have a need for him.

15. Rob says:

Sign Manny! One year at 25 million!

16. Matt says:

UConn is playing like absolute trash. Georgetown has wiped the floor with us tonight.

17. 'The' Steve says:

Matsui-Bedard?

“I’m a bit late on this one, but apparently Peter Gammons was on ESPN Radio Christmas morning reporting that the New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners have been in trade talks regarding Yankee DH/LF Hideki Matsui and Mariner LHSP Erik Bedard. Since this was on radio there is no “official” link, but it has become a hot topic across the internet so I’ll assume that Gammons did indeed report this.”

First I’ve heard of it, but in any case I thought Bedard went down with combination of a shoulder issue and (according to fmr GM Bavasi) a bad case of Carl Pavano-itis.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I do not see that trade happening and as much as I like Matsui, that would be a good trade for us especially if it meant us getting Manny on a one year deal.

• anonymous says:

Melky

CC
        Wang
        AJ
        Bedard
        Joba

With Hughes as the first call up.

Welcome to hell AL East.

• E-ROC says:

I think Bedard is out until the middle of the season after shoulder surgery. I’d pass on that deal.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Is Bedard owed as much as Matsui? I thought he was owed less. 3 reasons to do that deal:

1 If Bedard makes less we save money to throw at Manny.

2 If Bedard comes back at the end of the year strong and fresh he would be great to have come playoff time.

3 f Bedard is healthy we have him on the team and ready to sign a long term deal.

Still a big Matsui fan but if we really need to clear money to get Manny, I am down to begin the process.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Not sure that is how my line up would look but as a manager I would love to have the problem of putting it together.

• Jacob says:

I wouldn’t mind the move. Bedard used to kill the Sox. Of course that will start up the whole Manny to N.Y. thing again, and that would be awful.

I won’t be happy until Manny is playing for the Nationals or the Giants or the Reds or some other team not going anywhere. Having said that, I still love watching him squirm for a team. I bet he’d take that deal from the Dodgers now…

• The Evil Dynasty says:

Pujols, Manny and A-Rod, those are the three best hitters in baseball, what’s wrong with having two of the three play on the same team. I say move Matsui, get Manny for 2/45.

1.Damon LF
        2.Jeter SS
        3.Teixeira 1B
        4.A-Rod 3B
        5.Manny DH
        6.Posada C
        7.Nady RIF
        8.Swisher CF
        9.Cano 2B

And show the finger to ESPN and Boston

• ???? says:

I can not see the Mariners doing this trade but if it is true I hope the Yankees pull the trigger. However, I like Matsui and I can not picture him in another uniform. Anyway, I would still do the trade because Bedard is an ace when healthy, he is on a 1 year deal for not a lot of money and I can see coming into the season 100% healthy. If the Yankees get him and he is healthy just imagine the rotation.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

The Mariners need to find a way to put some butts in the seats out there. Decent (yet over rated place to see a game) but there is no reason to go other than to watch Ichiro and that is getting thin for most people out there.

Ichiro and Matsui on the same team, possibly in the same OF would cause a stir in Japan, and with Japanese baseball fans in the US. Might be just enough to sell a couple of tickets. It would make me watch more M’s games.

• Matt says:

Seattle is not dumb enough to do that trade straight up. It would take a little more.

And Matsui would have to waive his NTC.

Nady is still the easiest to move, but I don’t think I’d do it for Bedard. He’s a great talent but his health is a huge question mark.

18. LiveFromNewYork says:

I heard (here?) that Bobby pissed off the FO by bringing Melky and Robbie to Latin clubs until the wee hours but not using his mentorship for professional activities like teaching them patience at the plate (or anything else baseball related). Seems he just liked to goof around with them and go clubbing with them. I liked Bobby a lot but he does seem somewhat clueless.

19. Chris V. says:

Red Sox tried to get Hanley Ramirez. Does AJax and Hughes get it done? Gives Yanks CF now and Shortstop in two years.

• Mike Pop says:

You beat me to it but he is not going anywhere. We are talking the top 4 prospects from any team most likely. This guy has not even peaked yet.

• Chris V. says:

Yeh I don’t think he would get moved either, especially not for a package headlined by bucholtz and ellsbury

• Mike Pop says:

If I was the Twinkies, I would call them up and say, Ill give you Baker or Liriano plus Blackburn, Span, and some of their raw catching talent in the minors. Im not too sure how good those catchers are but I believe they have a few good ones in the minors. They got Mauer so no neeed for catchers in the minors.

• Matt says:

Or, they could keep their two best prospects, have a CF next year, and not replace one bad fielding SS with another.

And, if they trade for Ramirez right now, where the fuck do they put him or Jeter?

This isn’t MLB 08, get real.

• VO says:

put him at short move jeter to left damon in center and swisher at right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its all fitting into place. Cashman call up the marlins give em hughes,jackson,montero,romine,nady,aceves,kennedy

• anonymous says:

Seriously them saying Buchholz and Ellsbury is like Cashman calling up and saying Kennedy and Melky. They have no value this was a joke.

• Mike Pop says:

While I kind of/sort of agree with you. Buccholz/Ellisbury is much better than IPK and Melky just because Buchholz has Ace potential while Kenny is at best a 3.

• VO says:

that would actually be a good move for the yankees to bad he doesnt play centerfield, and that the yankees would never do it

• Chris V. says:

He doesn’t really play SS either hes just there. Most people think he will be a CF.

• Mike Pop says:

Still would be awesome for a CF.

• Matt says:

Or, we could just wait a year til Austin Jackson–A REAL CENTER FIELDER–is ready to come up and play at the Major League level. Or, we could keep Brett Gardner out there–a good defensive CF–instead of giving away the farm for something totally unnecessary. This isn’t a video game, dude. I know the Yankees don’t have an heir to Jeter but I’d rather develop one in the minors than give up Austin Jackson and Phil Hughes.

Also, you’d be alright with moving Hanley to CF for two years, then back to SS? Yeah real solid plan there. Those two positions don’t have any differences at all. None. He’d slide right back in. Come on, use your head.

• Mike Pop says:

Dude, dont even compare Ajax and Hanley. Cuz they will never be comparable. Like Mike A said below, Hanley is that special of a player.

• Matt says:

Did I compare them? I said that AJax is a REAL center fielder (and I bet he’s a much better CF than Hanley would be) He currently plays the position and is a good fielder, correct? Hanley isn’t a good fielding SS, what makes you think he’d be good at a new position that requires a ton of range, especially in Yankee Stadium? Then you’d want him to move BACK to shortstop? Yeah right.

Centerfield doesn’t need to have a masher out there. Guys like that–Granderson, Sizemore–are bonuses. But I’m perfectly alright with a light hitting, good fielding guy out in CF, like Brett Gardner. Hanely already sucks at a premium defensive position, why would you want him to suck at another one that he’d have to learn, all while giving up…everyone?

• anonymous says:

Matsui, Kennedy, both Duncans, Melky, Coke

BAM!

• VO says:

I can see it now trade matsui for bedard
      trade nady

C Posada
      2B Cano
      RF Swisher

PERFECTION

20. Mike Pop says:

OH NOOOEEESS!!!!

According to SI.com, the Red Sox made a play for Hanley Ramirez after losing out on Mark Teixeira, but weren’t able to get very far in talks with the Marlins.

Ramirez is one of the few players out there that could entice the Red Sox into potentially parting with Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury and a couple more of their better youngsters. However, Ramirez’s big money doesn’t start coming until 2011, so it seems unlikely that he’ll be dealt before then

21. Chris V. says:

Haha just posted that above you mike. Hughes Ajax and romine good enough?

22. Currambayankees says:

In your in Chat you mentioned Donnie’s 23 being retired but Tex could always wear Donnie’s original number 46, if it is available.

23. Matt says:

Alright, I’m gonna go sleep off UConn’s embarrassing performance tonight. Goodnight all.

24. 65hughes says:

well if boston is trying to make trades that wont happen then the yanks should go after sizemore

25. Mike Pop says:

Oakland could/should get in on Han-Ram if he truly is available.

26. Mike Pop says:

The Twins are the real team Hanley is a match for.

27. ortforshort says:

Ironic. There was a lot of talk about Ramirez coming to the Yankees to replace Abreu. Now there’s talk about Abreu going to the Dodgers to replace Ramirez.

28. Mike Pop says:

Mike,

How good is Elvis Andrus ?

29. Eric says:

Maybe the Red Sox shouldn’t have traded Hanley in the first place….Of course then they wouldn’t have that crappy pitcher with the blisters. Hmm…

• Mike Pop says:

But they wouldnt have a ring either and that is why Sox fans think it is a good trade.

• K.B.D. says:

Not really a fair comment. Beckett was a major reason they won the World Series in 2007. Is he more valuable than Hanley? Given his health history, probably not. But without Beckett they don’t win it all that year. I think given the choice, they’d do the deal over again.

Look at the Eli Manning trade. Phillip Rivers is a pro-bowler, Shawne Merriman is a pro-bowler and one of the most dominating defensive players, Kaeding is a damn fine kicker. Is the talent on both sides of that trade equal? Undoubtedly not. Would the Giants take the trade back? Hell no.

30. mikeo says:

That Hicks kid is fast lol. When my baseball team played long beach last year, Hicks hit a routine groundball to me at short and I fielded it cleanly and took my time thinking it was routine but soon as I looked up Hicks was at first. Random…but if Hicks makes it I’ll end up telling everyone that story even if it does suck!

31. I know no one will probably even see this ’cause this thread’s old, but what’s the ETA of Jeremy Bleich? Are we talking as early as say, mid ’10 or a few more years down the line?

IPK and Joba had less than one season of full-year baseball before their callups (both drafted June ’06, Joba called up July ’07, Ian in September).

With Bleich’s advanced approach, command, and left arm, he could definitely be on the fast track and find his way into some September coffee cups.

32. yankeefan91 (sign manny asap hes getting cheaper lol) says: