Dec

Open Thread: Uni-Watch Edition

Paul Lukas is one obsessive compulsive dude. The man who slaves over Page 2′s Uni-Watch is back this week with a Sabathia sized edition of “who’s the fattest Yankee ever?” Well, at least that’s what it boils down to. Is it CC? The Babe? Boomer? Find out for yourself.

(Oh yeah. We’re totally stretched for Open Thread content these days. H/t to tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside)

Once you’re done checking out the Uni-Watch, use this as your open thread for the evening. There’s really no local sports to talk about, the Knickerbockers are off and the Rangers have a late start out on the west coast. Uh … go Orange I guess. Don’t forget to guard those sneaky half court shots.

Joba news: His DUI arraignment was pushed back to January 26th. It was supposed to be today, and the delay won’t affect anything as far as being ready for ST.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Pop says:

It should be

Open Thread: Who will be the heir to Mo ?

2. pat says:

Finally no request to play nice, let the shit talking begin.

3. D.B.H.O.F. the word conservationist says:

CC has got to be the fattest but C. Fielder has got to be up there as well as Babe and Boomer.

• Well, it’s hard not to be big in the waistline when you’re 6’7″.

I thought in was interesting that the Babe was only 6’2″, 215. He looks bigger mainly because people were so much smaller back then, I guess. And I was shocked that Lou Gehrig and the Babe had the same chest size.

• Ben K. says:

Are you talking about Ruth and Gehrig’s bra sizes again?

• D.B.H.O.F. the word conservationist says:

6’7 is a big boy. I have a few people in my family that size or bigger and I am not a small dude by any means but almost feel like one around them.

I hung around with Iverson a few times in Philly and it bugged me out how he was really not that little, but compared to NBA guys hes a midget. I shook Derrick Colemans one time and I felt like I was shaking hands with the jolly green giant.

It is crazy how big Babe Ruth was for back then. I do not buy the 215 number but maybe he was only 6″2.

Even as close back as The Mick. I hear about how big and strong he was, and I laugh because he was just a lil guy, but I guess times were different.

Wish I could go back in time and see Ruth play.

• Nickel says:

How fat was Steve Balboni? I seem to remember him being a heavy dude but I was pretty young then.

4. Oh, hey, Mike… congratulations on losing your first round playoff game. To me. You played a good game…

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!

JSB, you’re next.

5. Mike Pop says:

Furcal played the Braves dirty

• How?

“A day earlier, Furcal had been close to accepting a $30 million, three-year offer from the Atlanta Braves, his original major league team….

Earlier Wednesday, Kinzer said Furcal had never accepted the Braves’ offer.

“They know we didn’t have a signed contract, that we didn’t have even a verbal agreement. We had, `Things look very good and Raffy’s going to sleep on it,” Kinzer said after a news conference for another client, Francisco Rodriguez.”

If reporters are breaking the story that he signed, but neither he nor his agent confirmed it, where’s the dirty pool? Sounds like reporters just jumping the gun…

• Mike A. says:

Check out MLBTR. Apparently his agent told Wren he’ll be signing with them.

• Mike Pop says:

He used them if he signs with the Dodgers.

5:53 pm: Rosenthal has updated his post with a bit more info and a timeline from Wren. Around midnight on Monday, after much negotiating, Kinzer told Wren, “we’re good.” Tuesday morning, says Rosenthal (note the slight discrepancy from Brown’s report below), Wren “got a voicemail from Kinzer” asking for the term sheet to be put together and faxed to him, which Wren did. “Shortly thereafter, Kinzer began ‘backpedaling,’ saying he promised the Dodgers he would talk to them.” And on Tuesday, the Dodgers “suddenly” appeared willing to grant Furcal a third year — and today, the Braves were told that Furcal would not be joining them.

5:43pm: Tim Brown reports that the Braves had sent Furcal a signed term sheet, according to “a club source.” Monday night, Kinzer asked for the paperwork to be faxed to him. Braves GM Frank Wren complied Tuesday morning. Writes Brown:

No member of the Braves’ front office – not Wren, not longtime former GM John Schuerholz – could recall a time when a signed term sheet was not the equivalent of a handshake agreement, ethically – if not legally – binding.

Brown adds that the Braves believe Kinzer shopped the term sheet to the Dodgers, who had been reluctant to commit to a third year.

4:47pm: The latest from Rosenthal:

The Dodgers and Furcal were still hammering out an agreement Wednesday afternoon, sources said, but the Braves had been informed that Furcal would not accept their deal.

4:10pm: Ken Rosenthal says Furcal decided to sign with the Dodgers.

Mark Bowman’s latest doesn’t suggest Furcal made a decision, but he does explain why the Braves thought they had a deal. Bowman’s source believes the Dodgers offered three years plus a fourth-year player option.

11:48am: Yahoo’s Tim Brown: Furcal is “nearing an agreement with the Dodgers.” Joel Sherman learned from Kinzer that the Dodgers are in the lead, having matched the Braves’ three-year, $30MM (plus a fourth-year vesting option) offer. Paul Kinzer told Sherman the idea of switching to second base for the Braves gave Furcal pause.

Kinzer told Danny Knobler there was never a verbal agreement with the Braves. Kinzer lives in Atlanta and received 50 phone calls from fans after the story broke yesterday.

9:39am: Yesterday we watched as Rafael Furcal and his agents seemingly ignored a gentleman’s agreement with the Braves to continue negotiating with the Dodgers. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times learned from Ned Colletti that the Dodgers improved their offer to Furcal (the original was two years with a vesting option).

6. Jim Johnson says:

Oh sure, pick on SU.

God, that was a dagger in the ass.

7. B.George says:

Odds Melancon breaks ST with the Yanks?
    Over/Under Phil Hughes being a bust stories?
    Over/Under Joba going back to the pen stories?
    Odds CC drops dead during conditioning drills?
    Odds Burnett needs TJ surgery after his first bullpen session?
    Odds Jeter bangs Maddona behind ARods back?

8. Mike Pop says:

You think Texieria is waiting for us to make an offer before he signs ? (unless we already have but it has been well hidden)

9. Stu H says:

Here’s a completely bizarre and unreasonable thought… what if the reason that the Yankees and Pettitte haven’t come to an agreement yet is because the Yankees want to drive the price up on Lowe and Sheets for whoever winds up with them?

Think there’s a chance that’s actually going on?

• Mike Pop says:

I dont think that is the case. We have a 10 mill offer and we want him to accept it..

Now the Cameron deal is on hold because of a potential run at Manny IMO.

• Ryan S. says:

I’m with Pop on both thoughts. Pettitte is off somewhere on an extended LSD trip and hallucinating imaginary 3 year contracts.

Cameron is on hold because we want to see what happens with Manny (and because Cashman read RAB’s post from a couple days ago).

10. Nady Nation says:

Question for all you Partial Ticket Plan holders out there:

Have you guys heard from the Yanks yet? I have the Sunday Plan, or the “C” Package, and I’ve yet to get any info from them. If so, when did you hear from them? If not, do you have any idea when they’re planning on letting us know what the deal is for seating, etc. this year?

Greatly appreciated.

You stay classy, Planet Earth.

• Steve says:

I have a C plan, and I haven’t heard boo. I called them after the season ended, told them I was interested in upgrading my seat/plan and they said they would be in touch with me. Needless to say, they haven’t been.

I’m actually glad they didn’t. I’m looking at downgrading my plan now since I’ve been slammed with some bills lately and from what I understand, the after-market (StubHub) is expected to be very weak this year. With that being the case, a full season makes no sense for me at all.

• UWS says:

I have Plan “G.” I called them maybe a month ago and they said they’d only begun sending relo packages and I shouldn’t expect anything till after New Year. Das it.

• Steve says:

BTW-I think the C is the 20 game Pick-a-plan, that’s what I have. The Sunday plan is the D if I remember correctly.

81 Full season
      60 Plan A Weekday+Sunday plan
      46 Plan B Weekday plan
      20 Pick-em Plan C
      15 Plan D Sundays+Opening Day+Old Timers

The Sunday plan is the best deal of them all.

• Nady Nation says:

Yea, they changed some shit up this year I know. I’m looking to upgrade to the half season package, and if not, then the 20 gamer, and then back to my Sunday plan. The Sunday plan this year does NOT include opening day, obviously. UWS – thanks for your response too.

• Old Ranger says:

Nothing yet! Anyone else? 27/09.

11. Mike Pop says:

Cmon Hawks win this game

12. Ryan S. says:

I’ve been waiting to post about this all day – I got bitch slapped the last I tried it.

Rob Neyer of ESPN.com wrote another interesting article about the Yankees today:

Its about how old our lineup is. Overall he continues to give us props though. What does RAB think?

• Steve says:

I posted the exact smae thing the other day when TSJC was talking about getting Manny.

Fucking Neyer is ripping me off. Dickhead.

• Chris says:

Lineup = old
      Rotation = not old

• Bruno says:

He says at the end “The Yankees will never be a young team. They just don’t have the patience for it. But they might never again be quite as old as they will be in 2009. Enjoy the old geezers while you can.” Get ready for a LONG run.

13. Brooklyn Ed says:

CC visits the new Yankee Stadium:

…is it me or does CC look skinny in those pics?

14. [...] He’s looking rather svelte, no? (h/t Brooklyn Ed) [...]

15. VO says:

I wonder how big the jersey actually is

16. Bruno says:

Hawks baby!

17. D.B.H.O.F. the word conservationist says:

First time I saw Ponson from behind at Camden Yards I thought the back of his neck was a pack of Eskay franks the hot dog man was about to cook up.

18. Jack says:

Bottom of the article:

Notes: C Jorge Posada threw from 60 feet Wednesday at the Yankees’ complex in Tampa, Fla., his first throws from that distance since shoulder surgery on July 30. He had three sessions of 25 throws each.

19. Greg G. says:

OK, I have to admit, I don’t understand half of what you guys are posting tonight, but – holy crap, it’s funny!