Dec

Unconfirmed Report: Mets sign K-Rod

The terms: 3 years, $37M. That sounds like three guaranteed years at an AAV of $13M per with a $1M buyout on an option for a fourth year. K-Rod is supposedly going to take a physical tomorrow, which should seal the deal. Jerry Manual has a scheduled press conference at 4pm Vegas time today, so we’ll dig up more then.

Update (12:48pm): Joe just saw Minaya in the hallway talking to Gammons and other media types with a big grin on his face.

Update (12:55pm): I just huddled around Minaya with the other NY media guys … he emphasized that the deal is not official but he feels “better about where it is today then yesterday.”

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. A.D. says:

Well K-Rod jumped pretty quick… realized there weren’t a whole lot of suitors out there, especially with Fuentes & Wood easily available and Street & Putz tradeable

2. jsbrendog says:

that smile becomes bloody tears when krod has tommy john and takes longer than normal to recover after only saving 6 games through the end of may

3. Mike Pop says:

I dont think its that bad of a signing. Pretty cheap because of the market

4. A.D. says:

If I’m the Mets I still try and get Street… after the bullpen woes, a solid 8th innning guy & closer insurance isn’t the worst plan

5. Manimal529 says:

I’d hate to be the guy huddling around Minaya who is behind Pete Abe

6. Mike Pop says:

In the field reporter: Panda Watch !

7. Peedlum says:

I have to say I’m a little surprised that Ryan Dempster got a better deal than K-Rod this offseason.

8. Adam says:

On the surface that contract seems pretty reasonable, almost a bargain, especially when compared to the 5 years and $75 million he was supposedly looking for at the start of the offseason. However, in reality, it’s probably still $5 million per year too much for the contribution that K-Rod will actually give.

All in all, I’d rather have Kerry Wood at say $8 million per year, plus Juan Cruz for $5 million.