Dec

Very unconfirmed rumor that doesn’t make sense: CC declines Yanks’ offer

Update by Mike (6:15pm EDT): Ken Davidoff with the quote of the day: “Sabathia didn’t reject the Yankees’ offer. Good Lord. How could someone report that?”

Update by Mike (5:41pm EDT): Rosenthal shot it down as well.

Update by Mike (5:30pm EDT): The crew on Baseball Tonight has shot down this rumor, citing a Yanks’ official.

Update 5:17 p.m.: For what it’s worth, Baggarly has updated his blog post to reflect his info that the Brewers may now be the frontrunner. A few reports have the Yanks ready to go hard after A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe as well, but that doesn’t mean Sabathia is completely out. Either this is building to a head or it’s a Vegas-inspired Red Herring.

==

Because everyone’s already talking about, here you go: Andrew Baggarly reports on the Mercury News Extra Baggs blog reports that CC Sabathia has declined the Yankees’ offer. He writes:

It’s been confirmed to me that the Giants had discussions with CC Sabathia’s camp last night, and they expect to have face-to-face meetings with the left-hander in San Francisco after the winter meetings.

It sure must’ve have been a productive discussion, because word is that Sabathia has declined the Yankees’ six-year, $140 million offer. (I must stress that’s unconfirmed, but talk is spreading fast. If true, look for the Yanks to get hyper-aggressive on A.J. Burnett.)

Let me say this: Beware unconfirmed rumors. They are unconfirmed, obviously.

Second, it makes no sense — none — for Sabathia to reject the Yanks’ offer. He loses all bargaining position in doing so, and the Giants, Angels or Brewers would have no reason to come close to the Yanks’ generous offer. Even if he has no intention of signing with the Yanks, he is far better served to keep the Yanks’ offer alive.

I don’t buy this one, but there you go.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. Mike Pop says:

Sabathia’s wife has him by the balls IF this is true. I am not saying I think it is because I do not at all, like you said it just does not make sense.

2. al says:

i saw this on mlbtr and about fell out of my chair when they said the aj bidding would be 5ys 100m. hahahahaha

3. jsbrendog says:

i am going to have to break my internet at work for the next 3 days.

4. Rob D. says:

Part of me hopes this is true. As much as I want Sabathia in pinstripes, it would allow us to move on and make a push for Teixeira, who could have just as big of an impact.

5. Frank says:

At this point, let him go.

Tex, Sheets, Burnett, Pettitte and Dunn.

6. kevin says:

i think it portrays a image of a good guy that just wants to go home. He lets the yankees of the hook and hopefully for him the players association off his back. He will get his money no matter what just not the 140 from the yankees.

7. Matt says:

Lets get tex

8. A.D. says:

If it is true he’d be doing the Yankees a service by no longer using their offer.

The only benefit to CC would be if he thought some west coast teams are being slow/not bothering with an offer, since they can’t possibly come close to the Yankees offer…doubtful this is true, but you never know.

9. Ryan says:

My guess is that although he didn’t formally reject the offer (to keep a bargaining chip on the table), he gave Cash a strong impredsion that he’s not coming to New York. That’s probably why the Yanks are suddenly stepping it up with Burnett and Sheets.

• andrew says:

but didnt cash just say last night that he felt cc’s interest in new york was genuine? they havent met since then, how could cash all of a sudden change his mind on cc’s demeanor during the meeting… “oh wait… now that i think about it, maybe when he said ‘I’m not coming to new york’…”

10. Murph1010 says:

I’m the biggest “NY is clearly CC’s last choice” guy there is, and even I place little no nothing of this…

YET

11. Joey H says:

Hat tip to Mr. Joey H for breaking the news. Haha.

12. B.George says:

All you guys need to relax seriosuly…CC is the best player out there that we need more then anyone in the free agent market. All you guys saying that we will be better off letting him go and getting Tex is ludicrious. We tried to build our teams around smash hitters and have 0 rings to show for it because we got beat by good pitchers… good pitching beats good hitting. Relax…stop believing everything you read because Peavy was going to the Cubs in the moring and now the deal is dead. Relax everyone.

• Joey H says:

I think any logical Yankee fan knows this is hogwash. So no need to tell us to chill out. The Peavy deal isn’t dead. It’s still on life support and the off season is still very fairly young.

13. UWS says:

Jesus Christ, I can’t wait for all this nonsense to be over. I’ve gotten zero work done today. ZERO.

Urrrgh!

14. E says:

Y are u guys actually in vegas? Besides gambling n weather. Is it to break scoops ? Make contacts n sources?

15. Hank S says:

It’s true! It’s all true! I think we should up our offer to 8 years and $195MM.

16. Joey H says:

Thank God for firefox. It lets me keep 12 windows open and once to keep up with all these rumors. Even the unconfirmed nonsense ones.

17. MS says:

Give him 24hrs to accept. He is using us to get others to up their bids. If he had any desire to come to NY he would have signed by now. Let’s get Tex, Lowe, Sheets. Stay away from Burnett. Make sure Tex. doesn’t end up in Boston. I can honestly say we failed if we don’t get CC or Tex.

Worst scenario- Tex goes to Boston, CC goes West and we overpay for Burnett.

18. Chip says:

I figured this would happen. Even with ten mentions that this is completely and utterly BS, all the crazy people start coming out and condemning CC. This is starting to sound like the Joba to the bullpen madness

19. TITANIC BULLSHIT RED FLAG ALERT:

In the same article by our Esteemed Giants beatwriter Mr. Andrew Baggarly, he claims the following (italics are his, not mine):

UPDATE: An executive close to the CC Sabathia talks told me the Brewers are emerging as the frontrunner.

(psst… Mr. Baggarly… I think your “executive” close to the CC talks is feeding you a load of hot bullshit…)

20. leo says:

I love all these ridiculously false rumors today, my favorite is the Greinke straight up for Franceour one.

21. KB says:

The most basurd part of all of this is the people who say fine, go get Tex, Burnett, and Sheets. There is no way they are spending the $50 mil annually ($20, $16, and $14 respectively), it would take to get all 3 of those guys when it was made fairly clear that both CC and Tex could not both be signed under the current budget. If they lose on CC, it will be either Tex plus Sheets or Burnett plus Sheets- not all three. And certainly not Manny, unless they lose out on CC, Tex and Burnett.

22. Joltin' Joe says:

I could see CC heading to a different club for less money, but even if that happens, Burnett won’t extort $100MM out of us. We would simply tell him to go pitch below the Mason-Dixon where he belongs!

23. Infamous says:

Lebron James needs to have a talk with CC

24. christopher says:

if this is true, then give the guy credit for being stand-up and i wish him luck on the west coast.

team doesnt get the ACE but can add 2 pitchers and a bat or two. if anything i think that losing CC could send the payroll budgett into chaos

25. Joey H says:

Reds got Livan Hernandez

26. A.D. says:

Livan Hernandez signed with the Reds… just another FA the Yankees have missed out on waiting for CC

27. kimonizer says:

ESPN just nixed this rumor as bogus. They got confirmation from the Yankees. (maybe even take that info for what its worth?)

Round Kruk also espouses the take it or leave it stance. I think he wants CC on the west coast because if he’s playing in NY CC will step in on Kruk’s east coast buffet monopoly.

28. christopher says:

perhaps CC and cash came to an agreement that he is not coming to the team but the offer would remain out there as leverage for both the yankees and CC in other negotiations

29. radnom says:

It worries me that this is only the second post titled “Very irresponsible rumormongering” (click it to see).

In the only other one, you can spot me saying how absurd the rumor of the Red Sox actually going through with a Manny trade was (to be fair this is when it first broke).

30. Jamal G. says:

Baseball Tonight says it’s bull.

31. Joey H says:

Now say CC doesn’t want to pitch for NY.. How many of you RAB’ers would want him here ?

• Me.

Sidney Ponson may think living in NYC is the best thing since fucking.

But he sucks. CC Sabathia does not. If he comes here, I don’t care if he hates it. You know what will cure him from hating NYC? Winning in NYC.

• jsbrendog says:

agreeeeeed

• Joey H says:

Besides that http://www.answers.com/topic/obvious If the man really doesn’t want to come here, why force him in if his heart isn’t in it? If he doesn’t like NY so much that all these people that don’t understand how the market works seem to believe, Why not just say eh go scratch and move on because slowly the other pieces will come off the market and we will resort to the likes of Sidney Ponson and maybe refund Rasner.

• Ron says:

If the man really doesn’t want to come here

Please provide a link to a quote where CC said this. All I’ve seen is that he said he would PREFER to play on the West Coast.

Not to pick on you, because there are many saying the same thing, but is English your second language? Because, believe it or not, there is a VAST difference between those two statements.

32. T. Dizzle says:

we should really try to trade for Tim Lincecum, I think he could help out a lot.

33. Joey H says:

I’m dying to go on Lohud and see all those morons jumping off the bridge over this nonsense.

34. The Evil Dynasty says:

CC – $23 per year
    Tex – $20 per year
    Burnett – $16 per year
    Lowe – $14 per year
    Sheets – $14 per year
    =
    $87 per year

haha we’re allowed to dream right?

35. Manimal says:

Why cant the yankees just bump up the offer now? Why wait for another team to become a front runner. And last time I checked, Milwaukee isnt on the west coast.

36. VO says:

4:32pm: Rosenthal says there’s no truth to the rumor that Sabathia declined the Yankees’ offer

lets keep our fingers crossed

37. VO says:

also to anyone who was fighting with me last night i thought about it today and i realized especially after this artical was published maybe it wouldnt be a terible idea to raise it a bit

38. Mike A. says:

Ozzie Guillen literally walked right in front of our table, no more than arms length away form Joe and I, said “Man, the Winter Meetings is boring, I going home,” shook Tim Kurkjian’s hand, and walked out the door.

That was awesome.

• Joey H says:

Yeah yeah yeah we got the point, it was bullshit. If that Baggardy name or whatever it was comes up again we know to dismiss it. Not to mention that he reports out of California… Think that tips something off? UM, bias, I don’t know…

39. Shamus says:

You know, I can’t help but think our desperation for a ‘number one, top of the line, ace’ could have been resolved last year.

I hate to bring up his name again, but here it goes:

Johan Santana…

At least that dude wanted to come to the Big Apple, or some other main stage setting. This fat bastard is letting HIS WIFE dictate where to play!!!!

If Cashman had manned up, traded Phil Hughes (winless in 2008, injured off and on all year), Ian Kennedy (Mr. Ass-Face himself), Melky Cabrera and Mitch Hilligoss, we wouldn’t be strapped over a barrel right now.

The Yankees could be focusing on other major needs, ie, finding a suitable 3-hole hitter, a real 1B, maybe a legit CF, poss a number 3 or 4 starter and improving the bench.

Instead… We’re sitting around hitting refresh 27,000 times a day, while CC does a tour of every Jack in the Box, Hardees and White Castle on the WC!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Forget Fatbathia!

Sign Tex ! Sign AJ ! Sign Pettitte ! And take a flyer on Sheets !

40. [...] to sign” Sabathia. A meeting is believed to be set up for this weekend.   UPDATE 5:38PM ET: From River Avenue Blues : Rumor has been shot down: The crew on Baseball Tonight has shot down this rumor, citing a [...]

41. Manimal says:

Heres a good question, how much would you personally pay CC to come sign with NY. I’d give him a good 1000. Then again I’m 17.

42. Shamus says:

Just stating the obvious, Jamal.

Lohud sucks… I find the posters here to be much more polite, courteous, and educated.

When working on the parameters of a trade, less teams are involved as opposed to open free agency.

43. Joey H says:

Oh yeah and just for giggles this is the girl that Michael Kay is banging http://www.thebronxcheer.com/w.....42108b.jpg

44. Shamus says:

Yeah, we’ll see when he goes 12-10 in front of Zito in SF, with an ERA of 2.98 but a poor run support number of 3.12 rpg.

I’m sure he could snap me like a twig, I’m 6 foot one, 210. He’s double that.

• Joey H says:

You are new here aren’t you?

• Shamus says:

Maybe six months. Love it. Everyone here is much more rational than those no-talent assclowns over at Lohud….

• Joey H says:

Yeah but every now and then you get a commenter who loves to say things such as “Forget Fatbathia!”

• Mike Pop says:

Don’t talk like those “assclowns” then

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I don’t agree with him, but it IS risky to give this kind of contract to a pitcher. All indications point to the Yankees’ offer being the biggest ever given to a pitcher. I agree with you and would assume that risk in order to acquire CC’s services, but Shamus isn’t an “assclown” for feeling the risk is too high; he just disagrees with you/me.

• Shamus says:

My bad Mike Pop. Just tired of people running around acting like its the end of the world if this guy doesn’t want to come to NYC.

I guess, seeing as I have rooted for the Yankees for 3 decades, after going through the dark ages (the 80s) I have a different outlook on this team and the free agents they chase.

They don’t want to come here…. Fine, go get someone else.

But, there is no animosity from this keyboard. And, I’ve been coming here long enought to know you are one of the more thoughtful posters on here, so if I offended anyone, I do apologize.

Especially, I apologize to Mr. Fatba— er, CC. Last thing I want is to be the reason he doesn’t sign in NYY.

• It is soooooo risky to give all this money and years to a pitcher. Wouldn’t anyone rather make the same offer to Tex, and sign AJ, or Lowe?

My math may not be precise, but signing Sabathia for 6 years and huge money is probably one billion times less risky than signing A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe to anything, ever.

45. Jamal G. says:

The penniless and homeless Ken Davidoff, per the New York Post, says the Brewers don’t intend to raise their current, five-year, $100M offer.

46. Michael says:

Alright, question. Let’s say the Yankees sign CC. What else will they get? Besides the obvious need for some more pitching, will they still have more money to address the offense?!

• Joey H says:

Why address an offense with a starting rotation of CC WANG LOWE/AJ/SHEETS JOBA and whoever? A healthy year of Posada and Matsui will help.

• andrew says:

i thnk after cc, you have to add one more arm(i hope sheets), then pettite to round out the starting 5, and then a bat like dunn

• Shamus says:

Not if Nick Swisher was the major offensive acquisition this winter….

• Joey H says:

Swish will save runs with his glove and hit a nice amount of dingers for us. People need to realize that you dont need to have a .310 30hr/100rbi guy at every position.

• Mike Pop says:

Sign Adam Dunn. Mostly for his production but him and CC are also buddies

• Joey H says:

I love the idea of Dunn, Left handed, High OBP, sees a ton of pitches, short porch, in infront of A-rod, and fulfills our gap (to some extent) left vacant by the departures of Giambi and Abreu.

47. Mike Pop says:

If the Angels are going to get serious bout CC he is getting what he wants. You could see higher offers from us if they make one

• Joey H says:

I think Tex signs before CC unless some other NL west team becomes a legit bidder. So that would knock the Halos out of contention.

48. Jamal G. says:

A fan of the New York Mets just called in on WFAN and said the following:

Mike [Francesa], I got a trade for you: Aaron Heilman and Ryan Church… for Jake Peavy.

Now, what made this jaw-dropping was not what was said by the caller, but the fact that Mr. Francesa proceeded to not laugh his gelatinous ass off. Not only that, but he had to think about the offer. Christ.

49. Mike A. says:

TSJC, your ass is mine in fantasy.

50. Mike Pop says:

Red Sox and Angels got offers out according to you know who.

51. Shamus says:

Per Yellow-tooth Gammons, 6:07 pm

“Some players have said the Angels have made it clear to Sabathia that they’ll guarantee him six years, but both sides say it is not true. Sabathia has not turned down the Yankees, either. He has offers from the Brewers, Angels and Red Sox, and the Giants have made it clear they will be in the bidding in certain circumstances.”

52. Shamus says:

Mike Pop:

Don’t talk like assclowns then….

They don’t want to come here…. Fine, go get someone else.

• Mike Pop says:

Its fine man

• Nady Nation says:

Would you seek out an employer and talk with them for 4 hours about the opportunity they’re presenting to you if you had sincerely no interest in pursuing said opportunity? Answer that before claiming CC has no desire whatsoever to be in NY.

• Shamus says:

Yeah, four hours is nothing if it means it makes the Giants/Dodgers/Angels or whomever up their offer $20 million.

Hell, if my firm’s main competitor was so inclined, I’d sit in a room naked full of broken glass with NESN on the TV at full blast for 8 hours if it would net me an extra hundred grand a year!!!!

But, I do get where you are going with this, Nady Nation…

53. Shamus says:

Anyone wonder how a guy always on TV and making all that $$$ as a schill for the Sox, he’s going to rock those yellow chicklets?

Come on, the Sox must have a dentist or two on the payroll, ehhh?

Anyone down for an off-topic question?

Who is the biggest Sox Schill in the Boston Media?

I got it narrowed down to Gammons, Shaughnessy, Mike Holley, Mike Felger, or Tony Assarotti?

54. VO says:

typical boras deal

55. Shamus says:

Per MLBTR:

Re; Derek Lowe

5:22pm: Heyman says the Yankees are negotiating with Boras about a four-year deal for more than $65MM.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ol’ Tim’s been busy today over there. His fingers must be covered in blisters and there must be Doritos crumbs all over the place….

56. VO says:

5:26pm: WEEI’s Alex Speier says that while the Red Sox touched base with Pettitte’s agent, there’s almost no chance they sign him. They also have not had meaningful dialogue for Ben Sheets.

I doubt pettite would sign with them

57. Shamus says:

But, I do get where you are going with this, Nady Nation…

58. Shamus says:

Sorry bout double post…

59. Shamus says:

NYY thinking 5/100 for Burnett.

And who says the economy has gone to shit?

My question is, what happeed to K-Rod? Thought he wanted Mo Money? He was talking 5/75 two weeks ago– and now I read its 4 years and in the 40s?

Wow!

• Joey H says:

Don’t be so gullible. Don’t believe everything you hear. If you heard that some guy named Joey H was selling this huge bridge in Brooklyn would you go run and buy it? No shot he gets this kind of money.

60. [...] Ave. Blues doubts the rumor that CC Sabathia turned down the Yankees offer: Let me say this: Beware unconfirmed rumors. They are unconfirmed, [...]

61. [...] to sign” Sabathia. A meeting is believed to be set up for this weekend.   UPDATE 5:38PM ET: From River Avenue Blues : Rumor has been shot down: The crew on Baseball Tonight has shot down this rumor, citing a [...]