Dec

Yankee rumors: Cano, Sabathia, Lowe, Teixeira

Following up on everything…

• While watching the O.J. Simpson sentencing, my eyes wandered to the ESPN crawl, and I saw some news that Yankee fans will both bemoan and appreciate. As part of the free agent transaction chain, we should now be rooting for Mark Teixeira to sign sooner rather than later. Peter Gammons reports that CC Sabathia is waiting to see what happens between Teixeira and the Angels, and Derek Lowe is waiting to see what happens with Sabathia. From a business perspective, that all makes perfect sense. Those of you impatient for no reason with the seemingly slow pace of the Hot Stove League won’t like it.
  • This news will of course rekindle the misguided line of reasoning that Sabathia hates New York and wants to pitch only for a West Coast team closer to his home. To combat that, check out Tyler Kepner’s latest. He writes:

“It’s not that he doesn’t want to be a Yankee; that’s not it at all,” said a friend of Sabathia’s, who was granted anonymity because Sabathia had not authorized him to speak on his behalf. “It’s just the aspect of being out there, his family, that kind of stuff.”

That’s all it is. Sabathia would prefer to be on the West Coast and is waiting to see what shakes down. If the Yanks’ offer emerges as the best, he’ll come to the Bronx with open arms. Just because he is waiting, smartly, doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be here.

• Finally, Robinson Cano‘s name keeps popping up in various rumors. The Yanks have committed a lot of resources and time to Cano this off-season, and I doubt they would move him. If they’re so inclined, however, Buster Olney has word of the asking price. The Yanks would first ask the Dodgers for Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley. When they can’t get one of those two pitching studs, they’d turn their attention to Matt Kemp. In other words, Cano ain’t goin’ nowhere.
Categories : Hot Stove League

1. DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

Yuk to a possible Matt Kemp for Cano deal.

“the Yanks have committed a lot of resources and time to Cano this off-season, and I doubt they would move him.”

I agree I doubt they move him as well. But we did commit a lot of time and resources to Sori in the 03 winter and BOOM gone. It can happen.

• UWS says:

Sure, but Kemp != ARod.

• jsbrendog says:

is that meant to be Kemp < A-rod?

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame aka they guy who has well documented history of belligerent thickheadedness and anti-intellectual character assassinations says:

The Alex the Purple Lipped Princess for Sori deal had to be made. But the only reason that could happen was the fact we were the only team who could take on all that salary.

That is a fact, the Sox tried to but Henrys black card was declined when he tried to checkout with the goods.

Damn shame the Sox did not trade Manny for Alex, woulda done us a world of good.

• jsbrendog says:

it firhgtens me that i agree with you here…….

• radnom says:

It is hard to look at this in retrospect, but at the time I was fucking scared of the Sox replacing
          this-
          Nomar + Manny

with
          this-
          Arod + Magglio.

I’m not sure it would have worked out better for us had the trade actually gone through.

• jsbrendog says:

where’d maggliop come from?

• steve (different one) says:

the rumor at the time was that had the Manny for A-Rod gone through, the RED Sox had a trade all lined up with the WHITE Sox with Nomar and Maggs swapping places.

i didn’t sleep for a month that offseason in fear of that happening.

• What’s most painful is that they passed Manny through waivers, hoping we could bite and take on his salary, so they could take on Alex. We said no and made the deal ourselves.

Coulda had Manny for a phonecall… ouch. I’d Cashman bash, but for in the interest of presentism, 2003 Manny was not held in the esteem that 2003 ARod was, across baseball. (as evidenced by the Red Sox’s willingness to hand over their best player to their hated rival to get ARod.)

• radnom says:

Ouch?

Sure, it didn’t work out in terms of championships, but give me a time machine and send me back to 2003 with another chance and I will take Arod-Shef over Manny all over again.

• radnom says:

I know you love Manram, but unless we would have converted him to a starting pitcher he couldn’t have helped.

• I’m not even getting into Soriano/Nomar/Beckett/all that other stuff yet.

Just saying, 2004-2008 Manny in NYY + 2004-2008 ARod in BOS>>>>>> 2004-2008 ARod in NYY + 2004-2008 Manny in BOS

Manny’s been the better player these past four years, IMO. I know it changes the whole following sequence of events, but if you give me a time machine, I just may go back and see what happens.

• jsbrendog says:

just don’t kill anyone or like see anyone form your family

• I’ll bring along a photo of my family to see if my brother and sister start disappearing.

• Jamal G. says:

I disagree with you here; 2004-2008 ARod in NYY + 2004, 2005, 2007 Hideki Matsui + 2006 Melky Cabrera (he had a 95 OPS+, so roughly league-average replacement) + 2008 Johnny Damon + 2004-2008 Manny in BOS + 2004-2005 Bill Mueller in BOS + 2006-2008 Mike Lowell in BOS >>>>>>>>> 2004-2008 ARod in BOS + 2004-2008 league-average player in left field in BOS + 2004-2008 Manny in NYY + 2004-2008 league-average third basemen in NYY.

So, in essence, I’m saying that for the past five seasons (and frankly, throughout their respective careers) I would rather have Alex Rodriguez at third base and a league-average left fielder over Manny Ramirez in left field and a league-average third basemen.

• Meh, we probably would have flipped Soriano for Scott Rolen or something and been fine. I agree with Radnom that, long term, we’re probably better off taking ARod over Manny back then due to the fact that ARod’s a better defender and younger, but that’s one dice roll I’d seriously contemplate doing.

Manny’s just wicked good. Up to this point, he’s had a better career than ARod. I agree that ARod’s youth means he’ll ultimately add more productivity towards Yankee championships from 2004-infinity than Manny would, but it’s just hard to pass on a guy with a career .420 wOBA in Manny, defensive shortcomings and age be damned.

(ARod’s career wOBA is .412, in case you were curious).

• Mike Pop says:

That was a little weird to read but I take A-Rod over Manny too.. A-Rod is not the only one who has not performed in the postseason it was the whole team really.. While the Red Sox as a team excelled..

Now is that because of Manny and A-Rod alone Im not sure.. But when A-Rod did hit in the postseason until game 4 we were rolling through games.

So maybe it is because of one or the other…….

• Jamal G. says:

I see what you’re saying, TSJC, but I just feel that the gap between the offensive ability of Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez is not worth the downgrade of a league-average corner outfielder to a league-average third basemen (or the downgrade from Alfonso Soriano’s bat at second base to a league-average second basemen).

• You have an excellent point as always, Jamal. I guess I’m using 20/20 hindsight and looking at the way Manny’s absolutely destroyed the league (and the postseason) the past 4 years and wondering what might have been. But, ARod has compelling, compelling arguments.

I just wish he’d stop acting like a mental midget so damn much, and stop macking 50 year old leather handbags.

• Jamal G. says:

Speaking of ARod and Madonna, Peter Abraham is a real douche: http://nomaas.org/phpBB1/viewt.....start=4420

Talk about thin-skinned (Heh, I can’t believe I used the term “thin” in reference to Abraham.), Jesus.

• radnom says:

Wow what a douche.
                  He has already gone through and deleted his posts I can;’t even read them.
                  From the side of the conversation I can read he comes off looking stupid and petty.

• radnom says:

Peter,
                  Now, that wasn’t nice.
                  And, I think it’s time to give up trying to scare away your critics here.

You’ve tried deleting my posts, you’ve personally emailed me to try to intimidate me into silence, and now you’ve tried publicly making fun of me.

………………………………………………………………………
                  Geeze it would be one thing if she was a troll or something, but she was making calm rational arguments.

• christopher says:

i think he was put on waivers a few times in his career before 2003

• jsbrendog says:

haha nice new name….it looks like tjsc started a trend. now if only we could get a better microwave…

altough i would fixe the “aka they guy who was…..”

just a heads up

Thanks but I do not plan in doing a “fixie”

G’z up
        Hose down

2. jsbrendog says:

don’t trade cano. i woudlnt even do it for the dodgers young pitching. we have ABSOLUTELY NO replacement even close and the free agent market sucks. So unless you plan to then flip what you get from the dodgers for another second baseman with canos upside then hells no yo

3. radnom says:

No reason? Sure this makes sense for Sabathia but it is bad news for the Yankees.

Every single move we could possibily make, EVERY ONE, depends in some way on CC. The fact that he is going to wait for a Boras client, notoriously slow signers, is cause for concern.

Even a move like signing Pettite, which seems completely out on its own and not related is effected by CC’s indecision. Pettite’s price, should we sign him before Sabathia, would then become a part of the negotiations for CC’s contract.

• steve (different one) says:

how?

• radnom says:

“You gave this guy X million?

Clearly i’m worth Y amount more.”

Earlier signings always set the bar for later ones….I have to think this is why the Yankees have not made a serious move on Pettite yet.

• steve (different one) says:

i understand this, i just don’t think it applies here.

right now, the argument is: “We offered you more than Johan Santana”

i don’t think Pettitte’s dinky 1 year contract will come into play.

• jobatheheat says:

Hopefully after Cashman meets up with him well know where we stand so we dont miss out on this fa market just waiting on CC. Thats my big fear. So gammonds info concerns me.

• Ed says:

Is CC supposed to say “Damn, Pettitte took a pay cut to stay a Yankee. Maybe I should take a pay cut too.” ?

• radnom says:

It would be more like..
        “You are paying a mediocre 3-4 starter 16 million and only offering a young ace 6 million more? Show me some more chedda you sexy beast”

Or that is how I picture it in my fantasies at least….

• steve (different one) says:

i guess i could see it if the Yankees were going to pay Pettitte the $16M, but that seems unlikely now.

besides, i think if Sabathia said that, he’d literally mean Cheddar Cheese.

• radnom says:

I’m going to reply to both your responses here instead of continuing the duel conversation.

Yeah, it wouldn’t be a huge barganing point, but I’m sure it would be brought up. And you know whatever the Yankees and Pettite settle upon they are going to be paying him above market value, which negatively effects them from a positioning standpoint.

But this is missing the point,I think we are on the same page; I was never claiming that Pettite would greatly impact the Sabathia negotiations, just that everything on the Yankees offseason radar, no matter how isolated it seems, is still tied down into what this one free agent is doing.
            The fact that he is waiting is hurting us.

4. Chip says:

If we got Billingsley or Kershaw for nothing more than Cano, I’m all for that. Even Kemp I think I’d do. Getting Kershaw or Billingsley means that you could sign CC and have a rotation of

CC
    Kershaw/Billingsley
    Joba
    Wang
    Pettite

I know Kershaw might not start the season in the big leagues but who wouldn’t want Phil Hughes vs Clayton Kershaw going for the last rotation spot with the 2007 MiLB Pitcher of the Year also in the running? Also, the money not spent on Sheets/Lowe/Burnett could be used to sign Punto and Dunn. And if you don’t like Punto, go trade a reliever to the Cards for Adam Kennnedy.

Same deal with Kemp. You could make that trade and then sign Texiera. Anybody want to see a lineup of

LF-Damon
    SS-Jeter
    1B-Texiera
    3B-A-Rod
    CF-Kemp
    RF-Swisher
    DH-Matsui/Nady
    C-Posada
    2B-Kennedy/Punto

with a bench of Nady/Gardner/Ransom/Molina

I could live with that seeing how they’re both long-term solutions as well.

5. Manimal says:

Cano + Melky for Kershaw. Maybe even add Veras or Coke in there.

6. UWS says:

Something wonky is going on with the comments, or is it just me? Ben wrote a comment, I responded to it, and now both are gone. Creepy.

7. Tyler Kepner is fast becoming the oasis in a desert of flawed-conclusion-leaping pseudojournalism.

8. stewman23 says:

Simple solution to CC’s problem is that we sign Teixiera at the winter meetings, thus leaving CC with no more need to wait. This obviously improves the team and shows CC how accomodating to his needs and desires we can be.

9. jobatheheat says:

Why dont we make a big offer to Tex so then we force them to pick 1st. Then we can know witch way were leaning towards the other FA out there Burnett,Sheets,Manny ,Dunn. Either way it will be a productive FA signing and both needs still currently have other options available. Just wondering.

10. Brooklyn Ed says:

The gridlocked free-agent market is slowly starting to move, and the Yankees are helping push it along. General Manager Brian Cashman traveled to Washington on Thursday to meet first baseman Mark Teixeira, and he will meet C.C. Sabathia this weekend before the start of the winter meetings in Las Vegas.

————

so he wan’t in Cali yesterday.

11. Mike Pop says:

Exactly how much money do we have coming off the books after arbitration raises ? Would you estimate ?

12. Mike Pop says:

If CC apparently would not want to play for us, would he ever want to play for Boston ? Unless he thinks they can become some kind of untouchable dynaasty with him at the head of the rotation

• radnom says:

He isn’t anti-Yankee.
      He is pro-being near his family.
      Big difference.

13. christopher says:

Boston swoops in and signs Tex – Angels use that money to sign Sabathia = horrible post-season for the yankees

this is bad news because it creates a doomsday scenario – one in which the red sox get better and the yankees once again are a step behind theo and his gritty gutty ushaven neanderthal beasts

14. Okay, so operating off Ben’s intelligent prediction that we can’t sign both CC and Tex, since us signing Tex would enable the Angels to sign CC, how should we proceed? Let’s assume that none of these dominoes fall until Tex signs, and assume he signs with the Angels (probably the likeliest scenario, unless the Orioles jump in and blow him away.)

Are we back at Dunn? Manny? Since it seems Cashman wants/has been ordered to get two pitchers, Lowe? Can we do Lowe + a non Manny bat?

CC at 6/140
    Lowe at 3/48 (perhaps with an option we’d decline)
    Dunn at 4/60
    Pettitte 1/13
    and call it a day?

L-Damon-CF (not my preference, but what else can we do for ’09?)
    R-Jeter-SS
    L-Dunn-RF
    R-ARod-3B
    L-Cano-2B
    S-Posada-C
    L-Matsui-DH
    R-Nady-LF
    S-Swisher-1B

CC
    Wang
    Joba
    Lowe
    Pettitte + the kids in Scranton

15. VO says:

You know as much asYou know all of this working with Cano just may be to help his intrest go up with other teams.

16. VO says:

sorry for the terible typing my comp is lagging You know as much as id hate to see cano gone they might just be working with him to boost his intrest with other teams

17. kenthadley says:

I cant listen to Gammons without thinking that he’s pushing Bosox strategy…….consequently, anything that he says IMO must be measured as propaganda………so whenever he says anything that can help the Sox, I try to heavily discount…..he wants NY to think that CC and Tex are waiting for each other to sign…….I dont think Cash is buying it…..

18. christopher says:

I also think that the yanks must now get deeply involved in negotiations with burnett, lowe, and sheets and at least get one signed. If they feel burnett is the best of the three than lock him up.

They can also start to push CC a little more and begin negotiations with Manny. If he sees that 140 million offer disappearing he may be more apt to sign sooner

• jobatheheat says:

agree, hopefully CC will be straight up with Cashman this weekend at there meeting. We cant just sit there and hope the Angels are gona get Tex thats why the Braves are jumping on Burnett NOW.

19. Chuck says:

hahah i know you’ll all think I am a dumb ass for this but I think we should sign Jon Garland. With Texeira and CC it is hard to tell how it plays out but I would say it isnt unreasonable to say that Anaheim isnt Tex’s first choice and NY isnt CC’s. I’d go for tex, lowe, and garland or whatever. Keep texeira out of boston. I like CC but I dont know if it is worth it.

• Bruno says:

CC isn’t worth it? Yet Lowe and Garland are? Can I have some of what youre smoking?

• Chuck says:

I dont know Garland wins for some reason, I can’t justify it by saying he is good. But he wins. Im not saying give him a lucrative deal but he does fill a role. I think lowe is a good player. He is older, but I think he has a few good years ahead of him.

20. Infamous says:

I was extremely confident that we were going to get CC no problem these past weeks. However it is now looks like there is a possibility that CC would maybe take a lesser offer to stay on the west coast. If we miss out on CC i think that would be disastrous. He is the ace that we need and is the fastest way were are going to get to number 27. Without him it pushes pettite up in the rotation and puts more pressure on Joba to perform along with us probably giving AJ 5 years. Please sign CC

21. peavy for cano says:

trade for peavy

22. UWS says:

Now I’m confused.

He said, things happen, just look at the Soriano trade. I said, yeah, but Kemp is not exactly ARod.

And now I’m even more confused because Ben’s comment I was responding to disappeared while I was typing this. Maybe I need a vacation from the intertubes…