Jan

Chad Jennings goes long

Long term that is. Jennings broke down the Yanks’ lineup situation, looking ahead to how things shake out two, three, even more years in the future. We all know A-Rod and Tex will be around (seemingly) forever, but just about all of the other positions will be up for grabs in the next couple of years. One thing I found interesting was seeing how many of baseball’s best young players are signed to long term deals that conveniently expire right as the Yanks will need someone to fill that position (coughEvanLongoriacough). Check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. Manimal says:

Rays can’t afford any of there players. Like the Marlins. All the good teams ended up swarming their star players.

2. I was thinking about Longoria last night, actually.

I can’t imagine Tampa would let him go…franchise player and all…

• dan l says:

Longoria if he played a full season was on pace for well over 150 strikeouts. A great rookie season does not make you a star I want to see him do it for a few seasons first.

• Steve H says:

You do know that many, many great players strike out a ton right? A-Rod, Howard, Thome (in his prime), etc. K’s do not make you a bad player, outs do, no matter how you come across them.

• dan l says:

I understand but for all the hype Longoria gets his K rate never gets mentioned at all. Before I anoint him a star I want to see what he can do for a couple of more years. Maybe he can live up to the hype or maybe he turns into Wally Joyner who had just a nice career.

3. I would not like to see a Crawford signing next year; the guy doesn’t take a walk, has unspectacular power and can’t play center despite his athleticism. Holliday will get some sort of ridiculous mega deal, and I would assume Bay is extended by the Red Sox, but I think its possible Adam Dunn gets stuck with a one-year deal (or rather, opts for it over a two or three) and we can go after him.

4. Januz says:

It is extremely silly to forecast what will happen in 2016 (Anything can happen with Longoria (See what happened with A. Jones (A future Hall Of Famer, who let himself get fat, and whose career may be over)). PS: The Rays player whose contract ends soon, and makes sense for the Yankees will be Carl Crawford.

5. Old Ranger says:

I’ve been writing about the chance for the team to pick up Crawford to play LF/Lead-off (for 2010) or replace Brett, if Brett can’t cut it in CF this year. Still like that idea.

6. 27 this year says:

I think we should just see how Crawford does. Doesn’t he have a 10.25 mil option for next year but I don’t think Tampa plans on exercising that so he would be a good option depending on the season he has and the contract he is looking for.

• Jay CT says:

Why wouldn’t they? He could at the least be traded in that case and net a nice package. That is a very reasonable pricetag

• Mike Pop says:

….especially for a young/athletitic player who brings the upside that Crawford brings.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Crawford has been a full time ML player for 6 years, so I don’t see much upside.

He is what he is. A young, talented athletic player who has a career OBP less than league average.

• Doug says:

great post. crawford’s career has actually been a bit of a disappoint as he’s never been able to take that next step

• Jay CT says:

What next step might that be? Hitting 20 home runs? Thats a fantasy baseball complaint. What step is he missing exactly?

• Doug says:

he was supposed to turn into a superstar. OPS+s of 105, 111, 113, and 117 (throwing out last year due to injury), while very good, are not that of an elite player.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

What next step might that be?

He doesn’t have to hit 20 HRs, but how about getting on base? He can’t utilize his speed if he can’t get on base.

• 27 this year says:

that is true, I didn’t think that they would probably exercise adn then trade him like we did with Sheff.

7. Nigel Bangs says:

i’d love to see crawford in pinstripes. i’m such a sucker for speed.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Yeah, but speed is meaningless if you don’t get on base. In almost 4,000 ML ABs, Crawford has not been able to get on base at even league average.

8. Eh, I’m not sold on Crawford, not yet, anyway.

9. Doug says:

what about jj hardy at short when jeter’s contract is up in 2 years

10. Andrew M says:

Forget Crawford, any idea on when Lincecum becomes a free agent?

11. JeffG says:

Is Bay good enough to play center?
    I’d like him in right if Nady gets traded or doesn’t pan out. Plus, seeing us snatch players from the Sox is always an added bonus.

Another question I have is with Montero. I wonder if his bat stays as hot as it has if he could be brought up early to DH and catch part time? Would be a nice benefit for him to get tutored by Pena regularly.

• JeffG says:

Crap – meant to say Swisher.

• Doug says:

Bay’s not good enough to play LF, let alone CF….very poor metrics out there

• JeffG says:

I don’t think so either. I wonder why Jennings put that out there as an option. His URZ is slightly below average at CF and he’s played the position very little, I’m sure there is a reason for that. Considering Nate McLouth is the guy they keep out there you’d imagine that Bay want any more capable.

• Mike Pop says:

Swish can play center but it will be less than average. Which we could afford in some games vs tough pitching but not throughout the whole season.

12. Matthew says:

If Bret Gardner is the Yankees’ future in CF, it can’t be a good thing.

• Doug says:

respectfully disagree…it actually would mean he’s developed into a good player. because you know the yanks won’t keep him there if he doesn’t

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Gardner’s minor league numbers are 291/389/385.

Let’s give him more than 127 ML ABs before we unequivocally say that he can’t come close to those #’s.

• 27 this year says:

all I really need from him a decent OBP around .350 which would allow him to steal 50 bases and cause havoc. I could care less about other stats. Also, it helps to have a guy that no one could turn a double play on.