Jan

Open Thread: A virtual tour of the New Stadium

Update 8:21 p.m.: All image links now work. Sorry about that Blogspot problem. That platform has never handled images well.

===

The lucky bastards over at Diamond Hoggers were able to get an exclusive sneak preview inside the Yanks’ new digs, but thankfully they were kind enough to share their experience with us in .jpg format.

Players will be privy to some serious ammenities inside the clubhouse, including a fancy new restroom, a twelve person hot tub, and plush carpet. The Yanks’ batting cage is supposedly way bigger than the visiting team’s, and once the team finishes up taking their hacks, they can walk up the steps to the dugout, an honor only a select few can enjoy.

I still don’t know how I feel about the manual scoreboard out in right field, but I do like the big YANKEE STADIUM sign out in left-center.You know, just in case anyone forgets where they are. It still can’t get over how gigantic that JumboTron is. Only one month and four days until the Stadium is complete, when it will be “born.” I can’t wait until I walk into that place.

If still photos don’t do it for you, check this out: (h/t Jamal G. for the email)

How awesome is that? Here’s CitiField, if you’re interested.

Use this as your open thread for the evening. New HOFer Rickey Henderson is going to be on the MLB Network at 7pm demonstrating the art of stealing third base. Talk about that, the New Stadium, Derek Lowe, the Rangers-Isles game, whatever you like. Just don’t be a dick. Also, one of longtime readers started a blog of his own – The Joey H Show – so make sure you check it out.

Oh, and don’t miss our latest Newsday post. And Ameican Idol starts tonight, if that’s your cup of tea.

1. VO says:

Mark Prior was signed by the Padres. That’s a nice pick-up. At least I think

2. VO says:

also not sure if its just mine but the picture is showing up

3. I know way too many people obsessed with American Idol, and at dangerous levels, too.

I don’t know if any one can beat David Cook for me, though-singing Bon Jovi in his first audition has got to take the cake.

4. Raf says:

i think im going to have to get a PS3 for MLB 09: The Show. that game is going to be amazing.

5. …a twelve person hot tub…

The most jealous guys in America? Isiah Thomas, Stephon Marbury, and James Dolan.

Why the Garden doesn’t have a twelve person hot tub is beyond me. You know Jimmy D would have been ALL OVER THAT SHIT.

6. So since we talked about music the other night…

What kind of movies does everyone here watch? I watched The Dark Knight last night and I have to say, I kind of missed the IMAX-ness, though the movie’s still pretty awesome.

7. Jay CT says:

Totally off subject: If anyone is a reader in here, I just finished “Feeding the Monster.” It is a book detailing all the in’s and out’s of the Red Sox, and although I hate them, it is very critical at times but also does praise them for things as well. It’s a great look into what an absolute prick Luccino is, but I walked away liking Henry. The details on how Nomar carried on, and the behind the scenes on Manny was also really great. I would recommend reading it, just to see how they made some of the decisions they did. I also walked away thinking that for all the stat crunching they did, they got lucky at times and are not so much fricken smarter then everyone else, and evenutally the luck will swing and they are going to wind up with some crappy players stuck with longer deals. It is a really good book though overall

• I want to hear details about Luccino being a prick.

Schadenfreude is wonderful…

• Jay CT says:

Suprisingly, if they listen to him more, they would be much worse off. He wanted to sign Pedro long term. He wanted to keep Nomar. He doesn’t like Epstein, and has his “croonies (the authors word, not mine)” leak stuff to the press all the time to stab Epstein in the back. Just some really interesting info.

I have posted it before, but the best was when Henry first bought the team. He was so pumped about having Manny, and when he met him at Spring trainging, Manny said, “Dude, you GOTTA get me out of here. I HATE IT.” So when Henry couldn’t move him, Manny told him to fuck off and called him the white devil. Then when Terry Francona tried to introduce himself to Manny, Manny wouldnt shake his hand and told him to fuck off or something like that. Great stuff. Also, the team voted to trade Nose-mar. They called him Nomar Garcia-pop up by the end. Mike Timlin also didn’t like Kevin Millar. Just lots of interesting tidbits sprinkled through the book, and not much gushing about how wonderful they are. In fact, I thought just the opposite

8. Joey H says:

Thanks for looking out Mike. I’m going Live on the air tonight in just under an hour.

9. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Schadenfreude? You and TSJC are going to get along just fine.

10. Joey H says:

Anyone see Gran Torino yet speaking of drama movies? That movie was THEE SHIT.

11. steve says:

man don’t you think its a little racist when CC is on the mound the jumbo tron says K,K,K …. heh.

i kid.

12. ???? says:

Does anyone know if mlb2k9 will have the new stadiums?

13. yankeefan91 (sign manny asap hes getting cheaper lol) says:

does anyone no wen does mlb 2k9 comes out is the new stadium gonna look as awsome as mlb the show

14. Dave says:

Why do the Rangers make every 2nd and 3rd string goalie look like Patrick Roy?

15. Thanks a ton for the link.

Looks like the gem of MLB parks

16. radnom says:

I thought hot tubs were like really bad for muscle recovery or is that just a myth?

17. Ben K. says:

The image links are all fixed, folks. Enjoy ‘em.

18. E-ROC says:

Does anyone agree with noMass’s bench options and acquiring Justin Maxwell if the Yanks choose to trade Xavier Nady?

• whozat says:

He certainly sounds pretty good to me. Hell, having him win the CF competition with Brett going back to AAA to play every day and Melky as the 4th OFer (or vice versa) sounds great to me.

Toss in another bullpen option…ok. Though, I might instead target guys who don’t have to be on the 40-man. Or, add in some guys like George Kontos and see if we can’t squeeze out a better 40-man reliever from their upper minors.

• A.D. says:

Obviously Nomaas is high on him, but i’ve read other places that are not so much. Basically a buy low on a talented prospect that we can toss in AA/AAA this year.

His lack of contact in the minors is a turnoff

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

No. Were a better team if we DON’T make that deal, so its a bad idea.

19. Kevin G. says:

We all love it when the Yanks spend money. $161M for CC Sabathia or $180M for Mark Teixeira or $60M for Manny Ramirez is nothing to us fans, we just want the team to win.

Foreshadowing?

20. D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Anybody know where I can see video of the Smotlz press conf? I just saw the tiny clip on ESPN.

Smotlz is one of my favorite ballplayers. Does not look right in that Sox cap.

21. A.D. says:

Cromartie played the season on the fractured hip… that explains why he blew/couldn’t cut.

Gotta be painful

22. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I don’t know if anyone else caught it, but the Levine/Brodsky interviews Francesa did today were must-listens. He did a good job of questioning Levine, drew out some interesting stuff about them not paying rent on the new building and explaining how the whole stadium financing deal is laid out.

Brodsky came out playing the populist and attacking the new bond requests, but got slowly exposed (IMO) as the interview progressed. Mike kept questioning his assumptions and his answers simply didn’t hold up to scrutiny. Even his contention about the Yanks using “taxpayer money” was refuted, the money is raised on the bond market and the debt associated is being 100% paid by the Yanks. It has absolutely nothing to do with “schools and subways” as he contended.

If you want to get up to speed on BOTH sides of this argument, its a great listen. Decide for yourself who’s right.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I heard only parts of them on there and am listening to the full thing now. Brodsky is a clown and is making up stories. The guy said about the Yankees “they are the richest corperation of the world”. What a joke.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, I took that to mean “Sports Franchise” and even then its still wrong. Manchester United is bigger than the Yanks.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I thought maybe he meant that too but he kept saying it like he meant any kinda of company.

Either way the guy is a dork who is just trying to get his name out there.

• pat says:

If anybody is interested in purchasing such bonds please contact me. No seriously i need some new accounts.

23. Jake H says:

Yankee stadium looks awesome in that game.

24. UWS says:

“I know some of you are on the fence about me right now…”

“Uh, no, we’re not.”

Awesome.

25. pat says:

Scrubs was so much better before everyone got a personal stylist. Every chick has the same haircut.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Whoah whoah whoah lol… Now we’re talking about American Idol and Scrubs in here?

And just for good measure:
      “Scrubs was so much better before everyone got a personal stylist.”
      … Like back when the show was a real underground gem… on NBC…?

• pat says:

hahah, yo scrubs is mad funny I dont care what anybody says. And seriously everybody is all glammed up now and it’s weird.

• Matt says:

I said it last week and I’ll say it again. This season is already better than all of season 7.

26. Nickel says:

Can’t wait to watch Teixeira do for real what he does in that video.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Actually, he did it last year in Yankee stadium.

Just for the Angels.

• Nickel says:

I was about to say that CC did what he did last year in that video too, but wearing an Indians uniform, and then I checked and realized that last year he only pitched in Yankee Stadium once…and lost.

He did pitch a heck of a game though. 1 run in 8 innings, giving up 4 hits and striking out 8. Outdueled by Wang in late April.

27. A.D. says:

I like that its gone from “play nice” to “don’t be a dick”

28. My dad just called me to tell me he got to see Ben Stein speak.

And then he asked me if I knew who Ben Stein was…

29. Greg P says:

The movie is called “Expelled”, and it tries to make the case for intelligent design in school.

30. Bryan V says:

Okay. I guess it’s wrong to teach something in science class that was figured out by scientists.

Got it.

31. Bryan V says:

Is there that much to say about fruit flies?

32. Bryan V says:

Oh boy. Not a conversation I want to get into. Especially when it’s going to start on semantics, since I used the phrase “figured out” as opposed to “invented” or whatever.

Take that argument someplace else. This isn’t the spot for it.

33. pat says:

This show on abc now, What would you do? is pretty freakin sweet.

34. A.D. says:

Why did “cite” go from being italics to being bold?

• I think it’s personal preference. Some cite with bold, some with italics.

I’ve used both… I think my (very unofficial) scheme is I cite with bold other people’s direct comments that I’m responding to, and I italicize comments not quoted from the page (like something in a linked to article, or something heard on the radio or from an outside, non RAB source).

But I’m not 100% consistent with either way.

35. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

And Brian Rolston is back. Nice.

36. A.D. says:

I find it funny & realistic that the in the Citi field Mets demo they have K-Rod give up a line drive to left

37. LLoyd Christmas says:

WOW! Just saw the attached Yankee stadium video and am currently sporting a record breaking boner as a result!

That place looks sick! I love how they built it to include more seats in the outfield areas – place looks like it holds 100K.

38. LLoyd Christmas says:

Just locked up a pair of tickets for the Yankees v. Toronto on March 19th in Tampa. The regulars should be getting some more game-time action around that time, right?

Figured me and the Mrs. would shoot down below the Mason Dixon Line and catch some sun and fun before things get serious. Tickets are still openly available ya know…hopefully thats not an ominous sign for the regular season (economic woes reference)

39. the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

Rickey Henderson said on the MLB Network that he’s going to “Coopertown.” Not as a slip-up; he thinks that’s what it calls. He also said a bunch of other stuff that was wonderfully entertaining. I love this man. Would be a Hall of Famer if he never stole a base which people don’t realize. His stolen base excellence has probably caused people to underappreciate him. Not smart people but people like Jon Heyman.

40. UWS says:

“David Clarkson was a shortstop.”

And there we have it, the perfect convergence of hockey and baseball.

41. Dave says:

posada getting hit by a pitch is the harm in letting him play but it is just as like to happen in ST i guess

42. Dave says:

I was just driving and listenin to the BT show. I heard about ten mets fans complain about not getting derek lowe and another ten beg for the mets to sign manny complaing that the mets have done nothing this off season. i GUESS signing two of the best closers in baseball outside of Mo and replacing pedro with someone that actually pitches innings is nothing. And did they really want omar to ink lowe to a deal over 4 years or over 60 mil dollars when he will be 36 soon. Also, i heard at least five callers say we should trade both nady and swisher and another three discussed how joba should be in the pen because “if it aint broke dont fix it.” All three of them used that same line. Are ppl really this stupid?

43. Ed says:

What I like about the manual scoreboard is its resemblance to the one in the old Yankees Stadium.

Check it out here.

44. Sweet Lou says:

Just a nugget of information here re: Citi Field. I overheard a couple of construction workers who have worked on the project and they said that some of the beams in Citi Field are already rusting.

45. [...] remember the New Yankee Stadium and CitiField clips we had last month, but if not here’s the link. The game is scheduled for release on on March 3rd, and will be available on PS3, PS2, and PSP [...]