Jan

Open Thread: It was 89 years ago yesterday…

the-babe

Yesterday marked the 89th anniversary of the Yanks’ acquisition of George Herman “Babe” Ruth from the Red Sox, perhaps the single biggest player transaction in baseball history. All told, the Bombers sent Sox owner Harry Frazee $125,000 in cash, as well as three annual payments of $25,000 at 6% interest in exchange for Ruth. The Yanks also loaned Frazee $300,000, accepting the mortgage to Fenway Park as collateral.

Fresh off a recording setting 29 homerun season in his final year with the Sawx, Ruth became the Sultan of Swat as we know him immediately after the trade, clubbing 113 homers in his first two years in pinstripes. The team went from a 701-780 (.473) record in the ten years preceeding Ruth’s acquisition to a 924-670 (.580) record in the ten years following the pickup. Ruth finished his career with a .342-.474-.690 batting line, a 207 OPS+, 714 homers, 2,217 RBI, 1330-2062 K/BB ratio, a .518 wOBP, and seven World Titles. He’s easily the greatest player in baseball history based on how he performed in comparison with the rest of the players in his era.

Thanks Harry. (h/t UWS)

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Rangers take on Montreal at home, the Knicks are off, the Isles are off, and the Devils suck. Talk about whatever else is on your mind, just be nice.

1. Sam says:

That is the man you are chasing Alex Rodriguez. Even if you succeed will you ever be compared to him?

• Matt says:

I’d say yes. When all is said and done, A-Rod could go down as one of the five best players ever, and Babe Ruth is on that list as well. So, yeah, they’ll get compared. Obviously Ruth > A -Rod but they’ll be “compared” when Rodriguez is done.

Nobody is chasing Ruth.

That 207 CAREER OPS+ is the only one above 200 in history. Ted Williams is close (192) Gehrig, Hornsby and Mantle are in the ballpark at 170ish, and then you have everyone else.

Best active hitter is Pujols (170), like that’s any surprise. A-Rod is down at 147.

• Matt says:

I’m so glad that I’ll get to see all of Pujols’s career. He is truly other-worldly.

• Matt says:

Career .363 EQA, .510 wOBA. Holy fuckbeans.

• Thomas says:

To be accurate, the best active career OPS+ is held by Barry Bonds at 182, who also holds the record for highest single season OPS+.

Barry who?

• Matt says:

Alright, see, this, I think, is BS.

Yeah Bonds was a PED-user or whatever but you knwo what, he wasn’t the only one doing it. I’m sure a good number of pitchers he was facing were juiced up as well.

I’ve just become so cynical with the whole ‘Steroid Era’ that I almost don’t give a shit anymore. Kind of. I don’t know. Fuck it.

• 'The' Steve says:

How many HR’s do you think Ruth would have hit if HE was on the juice?

• Matt says:

Fun thing to do: go to baseball-reference.com and click “Neutralize Stats” and then click on 2000 Rockies.

If Babe Ruth played his whole career for the 2000 Rockies (1,013 runs, 6.25 per game) he would’ve posted the following line:

.383/.518/.771/1.289, 898 HR, 3,132 RBI

AVG 162:

.383/.518/.771/1.289, 54 HR, 190 RBI

• Mike A. says:

Bonds was a HOFer long before he turned into Superman and hit 73 homers. He could have retired in ’98 and been in Cooperstown already.

Great wasn’t good enough.

• A.D. says:

Chicks dug the long ball, not career 400/400

• 'The' Steve says:

That, and he was breaking down. He got on the juice because it helped him stay on the field and not only improved his performance but extended his career dramatically.

He only played in 102 games in 1999 and was fading at age 34, having one of his worst years stat-wise. He then went on to post 4 of the best years in baseball history at a time when most players see their skills diminish. Years above and beyond what he himself ever did in his prime. Please.

• the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

I thought the authors of Game of Shadows claim that Bonds got hurt in 1999 because of the steroids. Didn’t they say that seeing McGwire and Sosa get all the praise in ’98 made Bonds jealous and started him doing steroids? Supposedly, he hurt his elbow because he was misusing the steroids which eventually caused him to seek out professional guidance from the BALCO people. The steroids definitely helped him enormously after that but if you believe Game of Shadows they hurt him in 1999.

• RCK says:

As far as I can tell, they are compared to each other constantly.

• GG says:

The Babe threw a fastball at 114MPH, true story, and that was just a normal FB, if he had to he could gas it up to 125

2. Manimal says:

ugh, studying for midterms.

3. Dave says:

Let’s hope the Rangers avoid another embarrassment against the Habs tonight

4. I heard he wasn’t a bad pitcher either. ;)

5. UWS says:

Oooooh, my first h/t around these parts. Movin’ up in the world, baby!

6. usty says:

Anyone else see that today and gag? Olney linked it. The man left Rickey Henderson off the ballot. He voted for Matt Williams (Admitted PED user) but not Mark McGwire because McGwire might have used PED’s. (His words). Just an awful awful job by a writer again.

• Urge to kill… rising…

See, if I was a Hall of Famer, shit like that would make me want to give my enshrinement back (almost).

Rickey Henderson doesn’t get a vote, but MATT FUCKING WILLIAMS?!?!?!?!?!?

MULTIPLE INTERROBANGS?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!

After that, I promise to never call Peter Gammons a homer again (not really). Corky Simpson deserves to be kidnapped by Kathy Bates and have his legs broken, only I want her to do that to with the intention of keeping him FROM ever writing again.

• usty says:

He even voted for Rickey Lite in Tim Raines. Half of his reasons for voting for guys are BETTER applied to Rickey.

I wish I had my own “Horrendously Retarded” tag for that one.

7. dan says:

We keep hearing about a Nady/Swisher deal, and that the Yankees have been in talks with the Reds. What do you guys think the Yanks would get in return for one of them from the Reds?

8. teixburnathia says:

Would a Nady for Jonathon Sanchez trade get done?

• 'The' Steve says:

Why would the Yankees do that? Sanchez has a career ERA over 5 in the NL West.

• teixburnathia says:

I know but hes got the potential to be really good and he showed signs of greatness last year. Some of that high era could be from his returning from injury late last year

• 'The' Steve says:

Yanks are a win now team. Someone who might be good in 2 years doesn’t help us.

• whozat says:

Sanchez is a 26 year old who throws hard and sorta knows where it’s going. He strikes me as an Ollie Perez/Edwin Jackson type. Someone scouts love because of the big fastball, but will top out at league-average. And that’s ok, but it’s not someone I’m clamoring to get. Frankly, I’d rather have the big-league OF depth than bring a pitcher who walks the world to the AL East.

The Yanks HAVE young pitching. That’s all they have. If they’re going to trade, they should trade for young position player talent OR something that fills a need now. If they could get a Harang, that could make it a no-brainer to move Kennedy and another young pitcher later this year to bring in a young position player of interest. I kinda don’t see that happening, though, so…I’d just keep Nady/Swish and let the inevitable injuries clear up the playing time problem. Or, trade in June/July.

• Jamal G. says:

How about the fact that he’s a 27-year-old (his 2009 season will be his age-27 season) LHP who made 29 starts and pitched to the tune of a 3.85 FIP. Also, we are talking about a guy with good stuff and he’s under team control for the next four seasons. Packaging all that together, the Yankees would do a Xaveir Nady-for-Jonathan Sanchez swap in a cocaine heartbeat.

• 'The' Steve says:

Give me one lineup in the NL West that’s decent. One that could compete in the AL East. In that division, his stats (which are already poor) are inflated, plus you add the 1/2 run for the NL-AL switch. No thanks.

He also has had issues with stamina, which tells me he’s not a hard worker. I can’t believe he’s going to improve his game and reach his ceiling if he doesn’t work hard at it.

• Jamal G. says:

I think it had more to do with the fact that he’s been a reliever since his MLB debut in 2006.

• 'The' Steve says:

Nope. He was drafted as a starter, started in 2005 in the minors, relieved in 2006 in the minors, and then a started again in 2007 and was a reliever in that same season. Then they brought him up as a reliever, then made him a starter again in 2008.

Sounds like they’ve tried everything, and nothing’s worked.

BTW-He started 22 games in 2006 and 2007

• Jamal G. says:

Whilst on the San Francisco Giants in the 2006 and 2007 MLB seasons, Jonathan Sanchez started just eight of the sixty games he appeared in, or just 13%.

Outside of a six-game stint in the Pacific Coast League in 2006 and a two-game cameo in the California League in 2007, Sanchez has appeared in games via the bullpen at least half the time at every level since the start of the 2006 professional campaign.

Before the 2008 season, he has not been a full-time starter since the 2005 season. So, the point still stands, his lack of stamina can be reasonably attributed to the fact that he has not been a full-time starter since 2005.

You lost me at ‘whilst’.

Who the fuck says ‘whilst’ anymore?

If you insist on using the term ‘whilst’ I will insist you refer to me as “Your Majesty” from now on.

• Bruno says:

cocaine heartbeat

The metaphor’s all time awesomeness has finally been realized.

9. soxfan says:

Ruth-what a fantasy stud

10. VO says:

Just imagine Ruth playing now in days with an agent like Boras. He would be getting 40 million a year probablly.

• Mike A. says:

TSJC pointing this out the other day, but it’s worth repeating:

It’s entirely possible that A-Rod could hit career homers 755, 762 and 763 in the same year, all of which would trigger bonuses. If he hits those homers in 2013, combined with his base salary and the part of his signing bonus that’s owed to him that year, A-Rod could earn $47M in 2013.

• VO says:

my bad didnt see that

That’s….insane.

• kunaldo says:

so did arod really opt out of his contract? from what Cot’s says, it seems as though texas is still funding the $9mil for 2008-2010…mistake or true? if true, it’s freakin awesome! b/c in his two most expensive contract years(’09 & ’10, each of which he’ll get $32 mil), the yanks will be paying him only about 2/3s of his contract

• Ryan S. says:

I’m almost positive that’s a mistake. I remember hearing a shitload about that when he opted out, and that’s one of the reason A-Rod signed for 10 years with us instead of 8 (he basically gave the Yankees 2 years for “free” because he opted out and screwed them out of that Ranger money).

Maybe I’m completely wrong here, but that’s what I remember reading.

• Ed says:

A-Rod’s old deal had some salary deferred. The salary was scheduled to be earned during his years in Texas, so it’s just Texas paying off the remainder of the money they owed him from 2002-2003 or so.

• It was actually 46M, but who’s counting?

• Mike A. says:

You fail at math.

Base Salary: $28M
          Portion of Signing Bonus: $1M
          HR 755 bonus: $6M
          HR 762 bonus: $6M
          HR 763 bonus: $6M

My slide rule says that adds up to … $47M.

• My projection was that he’d hit those three milestones in 2014, not 2013.

2014 Base Salary: $25M
            2014 Portion of Signing Bonus: $3M
            HR 755 bonus: $6M
            HR 762 bonus: $6M
            HR 763 bonus: $6M

My slide rule says that adds up to … $46M.

PWNED.

• Mike A. says:

You’re right, 2014 is more likely. If he was to finish 2013 at exactly 763 homers, he’ll need to avg 42 homers a year to get there. He could do it, but it’s unlikely.

• He probably won’t get all three in one year… you either have to slow his pace down or speed it up in order for all three to be together. I was probably cooking the books a bit to see the one year worst case/best case scenario.

Still, though, that’s nuts. Considering that, with Alex’s pace, 714 is also close to those three, it’s a near certainty (barring injury) that all four of those numbers (714, 755, 762, and 763) look to be somewhere in 2013 and 2014… he’s probably pulling in 81 MILLION DOLLARS in those two years.

28M + 25M in base salary for 2013/2014
                1M + 3M in signing bonus for 2013/2014
                6M + 6M + 6M + 6M for the last four homerun milestones
                =
                81M in two years.

Great googily moogily.

• kunaldo says:

ah, missed that $1M signing bonus myself…good eyes sir

• Ryan S. says:

Well, you’re counting.

Oh wait, that’s something else.

11. Jamal G. says:

Watching Justin Upton swing sure is gorgeous.

12. Scallion says:

The killer, the data that put the Babe ahead of anyone, now and forever, is that if the Babe had hit below the Mendoza line, lifetime, he’d still be in the Hall, as a pitcher. Unless you feel that going 94-46 with a 2.28 ERA is just so much popcorn.

• 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, but Barry Bonds used anti narcolepsy drugs that made the game appear to be in slow motion. So he’s better.

13. Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

Wonder what got Homer Bailey out of whack.
    Oh, maybe it was pitching like this: http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia.....bailey.jpg

14. Jamal G. says:

Wow, I used to fucking hate playing against Hideo Nomo in video games back then; games would take years to finish because of his damn windup.

15. Manimal says:

Nobody happens to have an extra essay on Hubris in the book Great Gatsby….

• UWS says:

Oh please. Great Gatsby is one of the great masterpieces of American literature. The least you can do to show respect is write your own essay.

/soapbox

• Joseph P. says:

Second.

One of my favorite aspects of the book, and it won’t be clear to those who aren’t familiar with Fitzgerald’s upbringing, is how disdainful he is of his own roots. It’s a bit more evident in his first novel, This Side of Paradise, which is a bit more autobiographical. But yeah, he came from money and he certainly shows contempt for it throughout his literature.

• Matt says:

I wrote a short paper on “Gatsby” being a complete indictment of the self-made man.

There was also an NYT article about a year ago–maybe more, maybe less–that discussed a class searching for their “Green Light” after reading Gatsby…interpretation fail.

• Joseph P. says:

That tends to happen frequently with Gatsby. One of my college classes spent an entire class period, and then some the next period, discussing only the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg. Seriously? I wanted to bang my head against my desk.

Instead, I opened another book, Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Changed my literature-loving life. So I guess plenty good came from that inane discussion.

• Manimal says:

hahahahahahahha thats my teachers favorite book, he had my school change the curriculum to add that book.

• Matt says:

Okay this is gonna sound weird but SH5 is one of the books that helped shape who I am today. A friend of my sister’s gave me all his Vonnegut books. I read them all in about a month.

I read SH5, Gatsby, Ragtime(severely underrated book), and In Cold Blood all in my 11th grade English class and they all pretty much changed my life.

• Joseph P. says:

I’m trying to spread out my Vonnegut so I’ll always have one to read. He’s easily my favorite author.

Ragtime is underrated for certain. I didn’t pick that one up until this past summer. Coalhouse Walker is a badass.

• Matt says:

I want to name my first born son Coalhouse Walker. It is the best name. Ever.

• Ryan S. says:

Heeeeeeeeeey now we’re talking. Slaughterhouse 5 is a great book. I remember reading that and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas during the same summer and finally started to enjoy reading then.

• Ryan S. says:

The Great Gatsby is incredibly well written … but also pretty god damn boring. I can understand the desire to not write 10 pages of forced blahblahblah. The only thing I got from that book is that God doesn’t care about you. That’s the moral of that story for me.

• Manimal says:

I am writing my own essay and I just studied 8 hours for my midterms next week, not really in a writing mood.

• Joseph P. says:

Oh, dude, great book, and not just because it’s a classic. Tender is the Night is a bit better, though, as far as Fitzgerald goes.

• UWS says:

Oooh, a fellow Fitzgerald fan. How YOU doin’?

• Matt says:

I’m such a junkie. I got three Fitz books this Christmas.

• Joseph P. says:

Love me some Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Never liked Joyce, but I loved the stories of the three of them in Paris, particularly Joyce and Hemingway. Joyce, little Irish dude, would get into spats with people far more imposing than him, and Hemingway would have to come in as the muscle. Hilarious.

• Matt says:

I got “Tender is the Night,” “Love of the Last Tycoon,” and “The Beautiful and Damned” for Christmas.

Last year, I got “This Side of Paradise” and “the Complete Short Stories.”

• Matt says:

Well, it’s one of my absolute favorite books. i don’t have a paper on that theme exactly but I can give you examples to use.

Use the fact that George–despite his utter lack of self-confidence–does what he does at the end of the book (no spoiler tags here) as an act of hubris–retribution after an act of extreme pride.

Definitely use Tom punching Myrtle in the face when she’s screaming “Daisy” all over the place.

Also, Gatsby’s act of becoming Gatsby could be seen as an act of hubris as well. He’s incredibly prideful, to a fault, so he has to completely change who he is in reaction to what he was.

16. Steve H says:

I was listening to Gammons on the radio today, what an assbag. Before he even got on, the cohosts were discussing the Yankees, and Michael Holley was saying that Swisher and Tex weren’t much of an upgrade over Abreu and Giambi. The co-host then pointed out the vast improvement in run prevention as well as runs created, and get this, Michael Holley was adamant, screaming, that Abreu is better than Swisher defensively. I almost fell off my chair. The crazy thing is, this idiot would be the first to say Jeter isn’t a good fielding SS because all the defensive metrics say so, but has no clue that not only is Swisher light years ahead of Abreu, but that Abreu is among the very worst fielders in baseball.

17. Matthew says:

A day late and a dollar short….why wasn’t this posted today?

18. Ethan says:

hey! Some readers of RAB are Devils fans too!

19. Jamal G. says:

What the fuck? Did the Yankees really lose the 1995 ALDS in which they were up 2-0?

• Mike A. says:

Actually, I’m pretty sure there were no playoffs in 1995. There was some weird calendar snafu that eliminated the month of October that year. Same thing happened in 2004.

It’s weird, but I don’t remember anything about those two postseasons.

• usty says:

haha. That damn near broke my 13 year old brain. Jr. sliding across the plate gave me nightmares. God damned Jack McDowell.

I remember recording Sterling’s call on a little mono tape player when they won in 96 jumping around with my friend who I always went to games with yelling that we’d never thought we’d see that happen.

• Greg G. says:

(1) I can still hear Brent Musburger calling the TV broadcast of Griffey rounding for home. Gives me fucking tremors.

(2) Best thing about that series was Mattingly hitting .417, including a home run at the Stadium. It was like watching the younger, healthier Donnie Baseball from ten years earlier.

(3) I’m get depressed when I hear you guys citing your youth. Makes me feel old. My teen years were spent during the “dark times” of the mid-80s/early-90s. Stump Merrill, anyone?

20. Sam says:

ben sheets is going to make a fine Yankee. Just sign him

21. VO says:

hey where is that guy that was fighting with peter abraham? joey? i havent seen him on here in a while

• Joseph P. says:

He comes and goes.

• 'The' Steve says:

Why PA gets into it with posters who are baiting him is beyond me. He doesn’t come out looking good.

But there’s a few things about Pete I don’t get. Like why he gets so upset when Cashman and Girardi lie to him, when most other reporters and many fans understand its part of their job to lie to the press at times.

• Ryan S. says:

Yeah, Pete has a bit of an ego. Its kind of sad. I read LoHud all the time, and think he’s great and all, but c’mon … his personality shows up way too much in his work.

• 'The' Steve says:

Yeah. I’m not sure its ego as much as doe eyed inexperience or just being unrealistic. I think he’s genuinely a good guy, and the personality stuff can be good at times, it makes LoHud a less dry, more fun read. But it goes way too far at times. Anytime he has to post about himself (“I will never believe Cashman again”) he’s completely screwed the pooch.

• Ryan S. says:

Yeah … I totally loved him for the longest time and thought he was the man until he started getting too personal. He tries to defend himself way too much, that’s really the issue. Cashman getting CC, AJ, and Tex – he probably views that as it hurting his credibility because he swore up and down Cash would never do that. Nobody gives a damn he was wrong, but its very annoying when he goes out of his way to explain himself. That’s just one example of him being too sensitive about how he thinks people perceive him.

• whozat says:

See, that doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t read it like a news site. I read it like a blog. He writes pieces for his paper that are professional, well-fact-checked, don’t include gut-instinct-speculation, and are never about Bruce Springsteen.

It’s the blog of a news reporter who also writes news stories published elsewhere, not simply a place for him to crank out daily news updates. I dunno…Pete Abe’s blogging doesn’t bother me…the uninformed morons that comment there do.

• Manimal says:

Pete murdered him.

22. J-Gao says:

Who would you rather Jose or Bengie Molina?

23. 'The' Steve says:

Everyone see the Levine video PA posted?

Yank take on the ‘spending spree’, stadium financing and other stuff.

24. Jamal G. says:

Heh, here is the audio clip of Peter Gammons being butt-hurt over the Mark Teixeira signing (per MLBTR): http://audio.weei.com/m/audio/.....pageid=967

• Jamal G. says:

Wow, it’s amazing how this guy is just a fan with a national soapbox; fuckin’ aye.

• Mike Pop says:

Thats so ridiculous, he says A-Rod doesnt care about any communication and he mentions the crazy “testiness”. Okay Peter……

• Mike Pop says:

Are Penny and Burnett really the same guy Peter? I thought Burnett is a wayyy better pitcher then Penny.

• Steve H says:

Yeah, when’s that last time Penny pitched in the AL East? And led the league in K’s? Gammons’ Sox love completely clouds anything else he does. It’s too bad too, because he can get plenty of info and has contacts all over the game, but can’t overcome his mancrush on Theo to be even close to impartial.

• BigBlueAL says:

BTW, you talked about the Yankees losin in 1995, still to this day that Game 5 loss hurts me more than any Yankees loss since, includin Game 7 in 01 and all the losses vs Boston in 04.

As a 15 yo it was the first time ever seeing the Yanks in the playoffs, and that entire series for me was amazing. Ill admit, I cried when the Yankees lost Game 5. Havent ever cried after a loss since.

25. “Yesterday marked the 89th anniversary of the Yanks’ acquisition of George Herman “Babe” Ruth from the Red Sox, perhaps the single biggest player transaction in baseball history.”

I beg to differ. I direct your attention to the June 2. 1986 entry on the following page:

That cannot be topped.

• A.D. says:

this made me burst out laughing.

On Ruth the 150K is ~1.3M in today’s dollars. Imagine buying the best player in the game for that now. Hell just think about purchasing a good prospects contract for that now.

26. A.D. says:

Gammons believes the Red Sox would sign Jason Varitek if he offered his services for $2MM. Gammons still believes the Red Sox would prefer to take the draft picks and trade for a different catcher.

Awesome that the Sox rather have 2 picks than the captain at 2M

Better yet if no Sox where does Tek go, who’s going to give up money & a pick for him

27. 'The' Steve says:

OK, here’s a lil debate for a slow news day.

Where do you bat Tex, in front or behind A-Rod?

• Bruno says:

A-Hole. I put the best hitter 3rd, getting him more PA’s. But Girardi’ll go Tex/A-Rod.

• Jamal G. says:

Behind. You get your best hitter accumulating the most Plate Appearances as possible.

• Ryan S. says:

I bat Tex 3rd. Like Girardi (I think) said at the press conference, great hitters can hit anywhere, but A-Rod REALLY does great batting cleanup for us; I just see no reason to move him and also, Tex replaces Bobby perfectly. Plus I think A-Rod will do a better job protecting Tex than vice versa.

• 'The' Steve says:

Actually, as a switch hitter Tex is much better protection. It makes the opposing manager more hesitant to bring in a reliever to face Tex, so he’ll pitch to A-Rod.

• Ryan S. says:

That’s a very good point, Steve (or should I call you ‘The’?). That’s a solid reason to put Tex 4th, something that will tangibly affect the game. Hmm.

• 'The' Steve says:

Maybe I should drop the “The”. It started out as a joke, now its coming across as pretentious.

• Stick with pretentious. It’s awesomely fun, trust me.

• Ryan S. says:

• If you’re not acting pretentious on the internet, its because you’re just not smart enough.

Speaking of not being smart enough, did you know that nobody was smart enough to stop me from winning the Inaugural RAB Fantasy Football League Championship? It’s true.

Yes, all the RAB board regulars, like Mike, Joe, Jamal, Rafi, jsbrendog, Punk in Drublic, and SAMIAMISPORTS, all of them were far too stupid and physically insufficient in the pants department to match my incredibly large and pretentious brain and massive man-equipment which enabled me to assemble a juggernaut team that waltzed right to the title this year, as well as pleasure all of their respective wives or girlfriends all night long in my huge victory celebration/orgy. It was quite the sight to see.

Too bad you weren’t invited… that orgy was for champions only.

[ Fantasy Football Championship Bragging Rights Name Drop #25 of 1000 ]

• Bruno says:

That was GREAT! The next 975 Fantasy Football Championship Bragging Rights Name Drops have A LOT to live up to.

• 'The' Steve says:

Let me throw out a few features pro and con

-A-Rod at 3 allows you to bat three switch hitters (Tex/Posada/Swisher) which will cause nightmares for opposing managers in the late innings. Plus, if a manager uses up his best relievers, you could get to see the bottom of the bullpen sooner.

-Tex has been more consistent, posting OPS+ 150 each of the past two seasons.

-Alex gets in trouble when he gets “too big” with his approach, trying to do too much. Hitting #3 will simplify his job and could benefit him.

-In an up year and overall for his career, A-Rod is the better hitter. That could argue putting him in the 3 hole as much as the 4. 3 hitter by definition should get more ABs. But in an up year, Alex is the better slugger, so in that case bat him 4th.

-Madonna might dump Alex if he doesn’t bat cleanup.

-Both get on base at about a .380-.400 clip.

• 'The' Steve says:

It’s interesting how much A-Rod moved around in his first few years with the Yanks.

2004-He batted 3rd, 4th and ended the year batting 2nd.
        2005-2nd, 5th, 4th and then 2nd again.
        2006-4th, 5th and back to 4th
        2007-4th all year
        2008-4th all year

Much of this depended on the lineup, Sheffield was on the team in 2004-2006. Torre also tried to get him going by batting him 2nd at times.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, but I think a better argument is that if your hitters hit both lefties and righties (like Matsui, Jeter, A-Rod) then it doesn’t matter which side of the plate they do it from.

• Ryan S. says:

This would be a more fun discussion if you included the playoffs. Surely you remember the day Torre batted him 8th.

• Old Ranger says:

Disagree with having 3 SH in a row. I’ve always figured that having them spread out makes it harder to use your BP.
        As of now, we could go with; L-Johnny, R-DJ, SH-Tex, R-A-Rod, L-Matsui, SH-Posada, L-Cano, SH-Swisher, L-Brett…this sets up the power in the heart of the line-up.

• Mike A. says:

I would prefer to see A-Rod bat third so he gets more plate appearances, but this debate is nothing but nitpicking. Both are world class hitters and will produce monster numbers no matter which order they bat.

• Chris says:

Tex should bat third and A-Rod fourth. Protection is a myth that doesn’t actually matter (except when it comes to intentional walks, but that won’t make a big difference).

The drop off from A-Rod to Tex in terms of OBP is smaller than the drop off in terms of slugging. You want your power hitter up with as many people on base ahead of him as possible. The difference in PA is insignificant (this is basically a similar situation to the pitcher batting 8th).

• Bruno says:

The difference between 3rd and 4th is about 15-20 AB’s based on Abreu and A-Rod the last few years (excluding 2008 because of A-Rod’s DL stint).

28. Mike Pop says:

How could Sherman say that Tex’s first choice was Anaheim? He(Teixeira) said location and family meant so much, how could Joel say something like this?

29. Mike Pop says:

Rocco to the Sox.

30. iYankees says:

Swisher
    A-Rod
    Teixeira

FTW

31. Manimal says:

Anyone else watching the Microsoft CES conference? Pretty cool stuff with windows 7.

Live video there.

32. VO says:

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but what do you think Sterling will call tex?

33. iYankees says:

Smoltz joining the Sox, too? That’s a good signing for them…

34. Danb2117 says:

I think the comments about Smoltz and Baldelli show the difference between Yankees fans and Red Sox fans. Yankee fans can acknowledge when the Red Sox make a good move, but every move made by the Yankees is deemed a screw up by Red Sox fans

35. steve says:

i love how the espn report about smoltz says they have 6 veteran pitchers. last time i checked lester is not a veteran, its what his 3rd year ?

36. [...] Open Thread: It was 89 years ago yesterday… | River Avenue Blues Share and Enjoy: [...]

37. [...] Open Thread: It was 89 years ago yesterday… | River Avenue Blues [...]