Jan

Report: Giambi to return to Oakland

Via MLBTR comes the news that Jason Giambi and the A’s are nearing agreement on a one-year deal. Mychael Urban at MLB.com believes the deal will contain an option. While no dollar figures have been released yet, Giambi will probably be getting less than $10 million for his services. The Yanks had no need for him anymore, but the A’s clearly do. The Giambino can still hit for power and average get on base, and he will give a significant boost to an offense that scored just 646 runs last season.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. KW says:

Pretty good deal, the Giambino can certainly fit the bill as a DH type, and at one year? But I think you meant to say he can get on base, because he sure cannot hit for average

2. Mike Pop says:

I gotta go to a game against Oakland at the stadium. I’ll stand up and cheer for him.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I will go to a game at the Stadium and sit down and NOT cheer for just like I did when he was a Yankee.

• Mike Pop says:

Why cause he did roids? Don’t cheer for alot of players than man. If you cant cheer for a guy who was pretty good for us, just dont be a fan.

3. Mike A. says:

At least two of Giambi, Cust and Holliday will play the field every day. Yikes.

4. Mike A. says:

Oh wow, the Twins owner passed away.

• Mike Pop says:

Bring in Billy Heywood

R.I.P.

• Ryan S. says:

Oh wow…very interesting. This could have a significant impact on the Twins – not sure in a good or bad way. I just know he was LOADED (like 2X rich as Steinbrenner), and that he was a tightwad.

• Mike Pop says:

They are going to sign Orlando Cabrera now.

• 27 this year says:

Twins will be moving into a new ballpark in 2010. That would boost revenue. God knows where the money goes because although the Twins had money and did not spend it, the next owner could very well have even less. I wonder what happens to some of the stars who cost more or will cost more like Mauer, Morneau, Nathan and others.

5. Reggie C. says:

I hope Giambi has a big year.

6. E-ROC says:

It’s crazy how John Travolta’s son died. The young man was only 16.

• Ryan S. says:

Yes, I can see how the two issues are completely related.

• VO says:

are you implying david ortiz had something to do with it?

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

“Didn’t the A’s rehire Giambi’s former personal trainer or team trainer from when Giambi’s glory days?”

that should read:

“Didn’t the A’s rehire Giambi’s former drug supplier or drug dealer from Giambi’s gloROID days?”

It’s crazy how Dr Dre’s son died. The young man was only 20.

7. GG says:

Coming back to Oakland, a few years older and a WHOLE LOT richer!

• Mike A. says:

I wonder if they’ll cheer him after booing him all these years.

• VO says:

there guna go crazy, and there going to steal the idea of the stache

• Ryan S. says:

Golden Thong day at Network Associates Colliseum!!!!

• Matt says:

I always found it ironic that they would chant “STEROIDS” at him when the Yankees visited Oakland when he was clearly on them in Oaktown.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Agreed. Also, the only people NOT on roids in Oakland were MC Hammer and Oaktown 357.

• Matt says:

The funniest part about it was how there were so few people at the games you could hear individuals chanting.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I have never seen a game in person in the Yay Area, but I heard similar things from my peeps out in the Town.

I went to a few games in Montreal the last few years the Expos were there and you could talk to the players and they HEARD you from any seat almost anywhere in that place. I said stuff to guys and they turned around. I went to a game there that had to have less than 500 people and of those 500 people I think maybe 4 spoke English as a first language (more Spanish speakers than French).

8. Januz says:

The market for Abreu, Dunn, and Manny is getting smaller and smaller. It will be interesting to see where they end up.

9. Raul says:

A Giambi/Barton platoon could work for Oakland. And Giambi might be able to put up some good power numbers with Holliday in the lineup. But I think that the A’s have grossly overpaid for Giambi. Looking at his stats the past few years his OBP has declined quite a bit. It was .413 in 06 just .373 this past year.

• Matt says:

And that .373 OBP would’ve been 2nd best on the A’s. And if Ben’s right and he’s getting less than $10 mil, then the A’s will have paid just about right. By my calculations, Giambi will be worth anywhere from 7.38-8.33 mil this year.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

“But I think that the A’s have grossly overpaid for Giambi.”

Just FYI Giambi is not signed yet. Let the man get signed before we say if he is overpaid. Maybe he will get a discount for his roids and HGH or the team will buy them for him as part of expected deal.

10. alex says:

there’s no doubt that he’s still a very powerful and productive bat. Im just glad that now I dont have to cringe every time he throws the ball or tries to score from second on a single. Maybe well even see a 3-6-3 DP this year!