Jan

The most valuable team in all the game

Via comes word that Forbes has released its annual list of the most valuable teams in all sports. The Yankees are valued at $1.3 billion, a new high for them. The Bombers are the only baseball team in the top five, joining Manchester United, the Cowboys, Red Skins and Patriots atop the list. They are also the only MLB club worth over $1 billion. It’s good to be rich.

Categories : Asides

1. So why again is the city (or state?) granting them tax exemptions when huge deficits lose?

• Ed says:

Being worth $1.3 billion only matters when you sell the team. Selling the team to get the money to build a new stadium doesn’t make much sense.

• That wasn’t my point. However, they do have the money to almost pay entirely for their stadium, and while I don’t mind having the city essentially pay for some of it, helping out a big business that doesn’t need it that much (which is normal for the business side, of course) isn’t the best way to spend government dollars.

• AndrewYF says:

They weren’t all tax-exempt. $111 million were taxable. So, if the Yankees financed it themselves, the city would have gotten absolutely nothing.

• Old Ranger says:

They are not getting government money at all. They are getting tax free bonds, which they pay for…it is a loan. And besides that, it’s not the governments money…it’s our money.

• Ed says:

They are paying for it fully. Bonds are loans.

The bonds are tax free because that makes it a win-win situation for both the city and the team. Tax free bonds are lower interest rates, so the team gets to pay a little less. As part of the terms of issuing the bonds, the city gets to impose conditions on who performs the construction work and where the materials are bought, which keeps more of the money spent inside the city. That’s worth far, far more to the city than the small amount of money they’d get from taxable bonds.

2. Adam says:

Houston Texans are the 10th most valuable team? I did not see that coming.

3. 27 this year says:

I am surprised at the value of the Red Skins and Patriots although the latter is probably due to the winning that has happened over the last 8-10 years.

4. That guy says:

Rex Ryan signs for 4 years with the Jets. Woooo.

5. Given the popularity of the NFL, it’s not hard to see why those teams would be in the top in terms of value.

I am surprised, though, that other premeirship teams, like Chelsea, aren’t on the list, at least the one you posted.

6. Old Ranger says:

I had not even thought of the soccer teams being that high on the list. I was under the impression they would be down around the 15th place or less. Well, there you go, another black mark for me…I knew they were one of the most popular sports franchises in the world but, not that much! As they/you say, “My bad”!

7. Matt K says:

Will River Ave Blues be featured on Pete Abe’s blog??

8. Ace says:

I’m looking at the Pirates first round picks of the last 10 years. In 2002 they passed on BJ Upton, Prince Fielder, Scott Kazmir, and Cole Hamels with the #1 pick and instead went with Bryan Bullington who was designated for assignment by the Pirates, picked up off waivers by the Indians, released and picked up by Toronto.

Nice move Pittsburgh.

9. Ace says:

Looks like C.J. Henry was a God-awful pick for us considering our current CF situation and the fact that Jacoby Ellsbury and Colby Rasmus were available.

• Ben K. says:

That’s a tough assessment. At the time, C.J. Henry was a very good pick, but he just didn’t pan out. Meanwhile, Jacoby Ellsbury has career numbers slightly better than Melky’s. Let’s not go overboard with that one.

10. Ace says:

I’ll take Ellsbury over Melky in a heartbeat. So would you. And I’ll take Rasmus over both of them.

• Ace says:

Sorry, I meant to hit REPLY.

• Ben K. says:

Yeah sure. But that’s because Ellsbury’s 2008 OPS+ of 87 was higher than Melky’s 64. I still rather have a, you know, above-average hitter in center field.

• Ace says:

It was his first full season. Do all above average hitters immediately jump out of the gate smashing the ball? Bernie hit .268 his first full year. Like I said, I’ll take Ellsbury and his .280 avg & 50 SB during his rookie year over Melky in a heartbeat.

• Ben K. says:

Getting caught 18 percent of the time lessens the overall net impact of those stolen bases though.

• 27 this year says:

I am on your side here Ben and I love how everyone is like well it is only Ellsbury’s first season yet Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky are busts after less than a full season (except Melky). Cano sucks too you know!

• Ace says:

Lol

I’m going to see The Wrestler. You guys have a good day.

• Ed says:

I’ve always heard 25% is the cutoff where your stealing becomes detrimental to the team, which would make Ellsbury’s steals clearly a positive.

Of course, I have no idea what that 25% is based on, so who knows how accurate it is.

• AndrewYF says:

82% success rate is very good.

• Whitey14 says:

Granted it is a small sample size for Ellsbury, but the career leader in Stolen Base % is at 84.7 (Tim Raines, 300 steals minimum), so it looks like Ellsbury’s 82% is pretty decent.

• Ben K. says:

Yeah yeah yeah. That’s my bad. I was looking at some incorrect numbers. Ellsbury’s SB% is very good. That doesn’t make up for his below-average career OPS+ though. All I’m saying is that between Ellsbury, Melky and Gardner, I’d rather have a better player all together.