Jan

The RAB Radio Show – January 15, 2009, Episode 10

In a time where baseball talk hits a lull, we have plenty to talk about on the podcast. The theme of the last few weeks has been building out the team, both the back end of the rotation and the bench. In our discussion, Mike and I find that the bench isn’t all that bad, and that it’s tough to improve since it only contains four guys, and one of those spots is locked in with Jose Molina.

There is a little concern about the other spots, though. If the Yanks hang onto both Xavier Nady and Nick Swisher, one of them can be a powerful force off the bench. Then you’d have one of Melky and Gardner, whoever isn’t starting. And then utility infielder, who at this point looks like Cody Ransom. I suggest another player, someone who turned down arbitration and the money it guarantees for the chance to play for a winner. Listen in to find out who (though I’ll probably say it in the comments for those who don’t/can’t listen).

We take plenty of questions from readers. If this bit about Ben Sheets is true, the Yanks would have to jump on it. Most teams would probably enjoy that, but he only costs the Yanks a fourth rounder — though the Mets would get away with only a second rounder. I know picks can be overrated at times, but why would a small market team spend $6 million+ and a draft pick on a player who might give them zero innings?

Onto the podcast. It is available in a number of formats. You can download it here by right clicking on that link and selecting Save As. If you want to play it in your browser, just left click the link. You can also subscribe to the podcast feed, which will send it to you every Thursday. You can also subscribe in iTunes. Finally, we have the embedded audio player below.

We appreciate any feedback. You can leave it in the comments or email either of us.

Categories : Podcast

1. Raul says:

I heard your guys talk about Posada going down. I know he is so young but is there any chance that they could have Montero have a Joba like 06 and rush him to the Majors? Or would that be too bad for his development?

2. Ace says:

Great job guys.

ps If we don’t hop on Sheets at that price and for a 4th rounder we are INSANE.

3. MattG says:

Grudz? I would like him to replace Ransom, but replacing Ransom is not the top priority for the bench–that should be to have a guy that can play infield or outfield, so on days when your backup infielder is already playing (because Cano has a tight hamstring or something), you’ve still got an able body on the bench that can play infield.

That guy is Eric Hinske–provided, Rodriguez can be the third SS option on the depth chart. It also solves the left-handed bat problem. He played for $800K last year. The only reason I think this hasn’t happened yet is he needs a roster spot on the 40 man.

• Joseph P. says:

I can see that. You picked the problem right out, though. Maybe if they traded Nady or Swish, that would be a solution. As it stands, though, I can’t see them adding Hinske.

• MattG says:

Trading Nady or Swisher would obviously make room, but I also think you can make room by optioning Melky or Gardner. There are 4 players on this roster that can play CF. Since neither Melky or Gardner add much with the bat, I am not sure there is a need for both of them on the 25 man roster.

• drew says:

lets not forget melky has shown the ability to hit, if he gets back to 270 like in previous years we have our centerfielder.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

As it stands, though, I can’t see them adding Hinske.

But they could and should. Last year, because the starters failed to go deep into games so often, we had to carry 12 pitchers. This year, hopefully, we can get by with 11, thereby allowing us an extra bench player.

• MattG says:

I so want them to do that, but it will never happen. Managers, Girardi no exception, are petrified at the idea of running out of pitchers, or using relievers for more than one inning.

They ABSOLUTELY should be using Ramirez/Robertson/Albaladejo/Coke for 30+ pitches everytime it’s not the ninth inning (and sometimes when it is). It was not that long ago that one reliever would pitch the 7th and the 8th. It’s very odd that it is suddenly no longer an option.

4. Ace says:

Is ARod moving back to SS and signing a 3B or (Jeter moving to 3rd) a possibility when Jeter’s time is up or will his defense be in the same ball park as Jeters? (pun intended)

5. Dave says:

Low risk and high reward for smolt? I would say more like high risk/ high reward. Its nice to hear we lost to the sox to get him b/c i would rather get a pitcher, ya know that can actually start the season pitching… Smoltz may have helped us but we need someone that WILL help us and someone that can throw 200 innings. Smoltz is not even close to that kind of player.

• drew says:

Why aren’t we hearing offers for the Cubanos!? other then them I think we should scrap nady for some parts and pickup a couple young guys. I think I’d like to see Swish regularly patroling right field adding some pop to our everyday lineup. Cant wait for Spring training!

6. Evan says:

Great show guys, thanks for answering my question.

7. Mike Pop says:

Only think I disagree with here is that SAMIAM did deserve that bashing.

8. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Hate to rip-off TSJC’s meme here… But I can’t decide if Mike jizzed his pants at 53:15 (when imagining Brackman standing next to CC, “these two gigantic guys…”) or at 53:26 (when imagining a rotation with CC, Joba, Burnett and Brackman). Maybe it was a multiple? lol. Listen to those points in the show, it’s hysterical.

9. Barry says:

I agree with what you say, but to be honest with you I’d rather have Ransom on the bench than the type B Grudzielanek. He’s 39 and there’s no reason to punish Ransom because he did some nice things with the stick off the bench last season.

10. J.R. says:

Good podcast guys, my favorite hour at a long thursday at work.

11. Old Ranger says:

MattG says:

January 15th, 2009 at 3:23 pm
    ——————————————————————————
    I see two guys that are any-good in CF, Melkey and Brett…the other guys (Johnny/Swisher) can play for a game or two but not a week or so. I think Melkey is out of options and unless he rakes, Brett will be the better option. Melkey can play all 3 positions but, defensively he is suited for the corners.
    Gardner/Melkey would have to be taken off the 40 man and picked-up by another team.