Jan

Yanks avoid arbitration with Xavier Nady

According to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times, the Yanks and Xavier Nady have agreed to a $6.55 million salary for 2009. This is $0.55 million more than I had estimated. The Yanks still have Brian Bruney and Melky Cabrera on the agenda, though you have to figure those will get done relatively soon. The Yanks’ other arbitration case, Chien-Ming Wang, agreed to a $5 million contract last month.

I took down the salary cap post in favor of this. That one will re-appear shortly.

Categories : Asides

1. The Evil Empire says:

Well, Matt Holliday for 2010

• Mike Pop says:

No thanks.

• The Evil Empire says:

What!?
        Explain yourself?
        Why would you not want Matt Holliday?
        Want to give some rookies a chance to prove themselves?

• Mike Pop says:

He is looking at 90 to 120 mill probably. Not worth it.

• Mike Pop says:

Plus if I could get Adam Dunn now for 30 million, I’d much rather take him over Holliday for a quarter of the price. No questions asked.

• Jay CT says:

Absolutely. I do think Holliday is going to have a strong season, and he keeps himself in incredible shape, however, if you could get someone now like Dunn for a 1/4 of it, its worth it.

Perhaps the down turn in the market takes Holliday’s value down a bit though, and with the Sox having an anti-Boras, and signing Bay long term, its possible Holliday winds up in NY, just maybe with the Mets.

• Old Ranger says:

Not a chance and no to Dunn also. I see there are going to be a few FA next year, ones that are not afraid to play defence. We don’t need every position filled with big boppers. What we do need is good defence and avg.+ hitters. We have very good pitching, why not help them with guys that know how to play defence and can hit also.

• Mike Pop says:

Okay so what your saying is that you would rather keep Nady and at best get a season like in 08 with average defense and possibly 2 draft picks in return. Ya know what I would rather do? Get Dunn for that cheap, about 30 million over 3 at most and trade Nady for some young guys.

So you want Nady+2 draft picks with avg defense>>Dunn+good prospects and less than avg defense but better than Abreu’s. It makes too much sense. Dunn is as consistent as they come, the guy mashes and him and CC are boys. 550 pounds of unattractiveness that I want on my team.

Forgot who said that last line but to whoever it was I’m giving you credit.

• Old Ranger says:

Don’t misunderstand me, I like Dunns’ bat but have you seen his “D” numbers? If we had him play DH all the time, ok but, why make our pitchers suffer with him in RF. We just got rid of one bad “D” guy, why add another.
          Teams aren’t all about hitting, to win, one needs defence and pitching. We have plenty of power bats; A-Rod, Tex, Matsui, Posada, Swisher and even Cano. What we need is good tight Big Time “D”.
          Also again, we would need to put someone off the 40 man (and watch him get picked up)…unless we can do a sign and move at the right time.

2. A.D. says:

Not bad for Nady

3. Matthew says:

Well, with 15 guy with known contracts, the yankee salary is $185,200,000. This doesn’t include 7 million dollars of buyouts for Giambi/Pavano (which I believe counts toward each team’s 2009 #) and player contracts for players such as melky and bruney who are due arbitration, and guys like Joba (and a few others) who are still in their rookie contracts.

Doesn’t look like the Yanks will skate in under 200 million in 09.

4. D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I really do not see his trade value to teams before mid season.

Why get him when you could get Dunn or Abreu for that sort of money per year possibly? The only way you want him is if you want a one year rental of a corner OF for more than 6.5 mill? Also you have to give up some quality for that?

I think Nady plays for the Yanks this year and I think that is good because we need a deeper team and a bench to make it this year. Let Swisher get some time in both corners, 1st, DH and coming off the bench.

• Joseph P. says:

I agree. Keeping both Nady and Swisher gives the Yanks some needed depth.

I also think they could trade Nady for the right player. The advantage of him over Dunn or Abreu, I suppose, is that the Yanks could kick in a bit of cash.

5. Thomas says:

With this contract, Nady has now made $13,715,000 in his 6 year career. Impressive.

6. Jake H says:

I hope that Nady is a Type A next season so we can gain back another pick. The question is do you lock up damon for a 1 year extension?

• 27 this year says:

i think you see but Damon and Nady could very well end up Type As with neither havnig a steep price in arb like Damon at 13 or Nady around 8 or 9. It isn’t like this year with Abreu making 16

• Mike Pop says:

Hmm makes ya wonder. If the economy is still bad it could play out in our favor. Maybe Damon takes arb and we get him on that 1 year deal.

• pat says:

If damon has another good and relatively healthy season I absolutely bring him back for 1 or 2 years. I don’t have the list in front of me, but outside holliday I don’t think next years bats are anything to get excited over.

• Matthew says:

Just maybe Vlad and Carl Crawford. I’d love Crawford as a replacement for Damon.

• Mike Pop says:

Everyone would love that idea. But he is getting his option picked up.

• Old Ranger says:

I don’t think so, the rumor has it as No! Remember he has a low OBP…I believe. You may want to look him up. He can hit and very good for our LF, defensively. I’ve touted him a few times, I like what he brings to the table.

• Whozat says:

Crawford is, I think, a bit overrated. He doesn’t get on base enough to be an elite leadoff man, and doesn’t have so much pop that it’s ok. Speedy, good defense…but I think Damon has been more valuable over the last few years, despite his age.

• Depends what Damon does this year, and what Posada does as well.

7. Matt says:

I’ve got Nady projecting to be worth $7.7 million this year so good job, saving a million, Yankees.

8. Mike Pop says:

Damn, speaking of arbitration. Howard asks for 18 million!

9. [...] although over thirty players (of 111 eligibles) have already agreed to deals prior to the deadline. Xavier Nady was one of those players, Ryan Howard was not. The Phillies’ first baseman submitted a salary figure of $18M (!!!) [...]