Jan

Yanks ink Berroa to minor league deal

This one comes from Ken Rosenthal. Angel Berroa is expected to compete with Cody Ransom for the utility infielder spot come Spring Training. The deal is contingent on Berroa admitting that Hideki Matsui should have won Rookie of the Year back in ’03.

Categories : Asides

1. We’re really working overtime to try and curry Rob Neyer’s favor, aren’t we?

2. E-ROC says:

Cody Ransom will win this battle without breaking a sweat.

Was there any mention of what the Yanks plan to do with John Rodriguez?

• whozat says:

I can only assume he’s there for corner OF depth in AAA. He’s played in the bigs before, maybe he can be replacement level in a pinch. They kind of don’t have corner OFers for AAA, with Shelley, Carson and Christian gone.

• MattG says:

Really? I think he’s a 5th OF and a prelude to a Nady or Swisher trade. I only know his stats, and it looks like he can hit, but is brutal with the glove.

On the other hand, although 332 at bats isn’t really a small sample, a 40/90 BB/K rate is not what you would expect beside a .298 average. Maybe he can’t hit all that well.

• whozat says:

“Really? I think he’s a 5th OF and a prelude to a Nady or Swisher trade”

Was the guy even in the bigs last year? If they want a 5th OFer, they can just use Melky. This guy reads like pure insurance to me; you don’t care about his getting playing time, but in an emergency his bat might be tolerable for a couple weeks while you scramble to find someone better.

• MattG says:

No, he hasn’t been in the bigs for 2 years, actually. But, that really doesn’t mean much, as there are several players stuck in AAA that would make fine 5th OFs.

But looking at his stats closer, you are clearly correct. The ML career slash stats, .298/.378/.434 got me excited, but there’s actually nothing to see here.

• Ben K. says:

Maybe he can’t hit all that well.

You could say that again.

3. A.D. says:

Wow, Berroa’s best year was far and away his ROY year where he OPS+ 101. AND he’s not that good of a SS.

Like the flyer

4. Al says:

Does he have a first name ?

5. BigBlueAL says:

ROY back in 03.

6. whozat says:

The cube has him listed among the toughest players to walk:-)

7. Jake H says:

I live in KC so I had to watch this guy play. He sucks but for a minor league deal. I have no problem with that.

8. Sorry this is irrelevant to the post, but does anyone know of a good Runs Created-esque simulator? What I want to do is plug in players or stat lines in a lineup and get the expected runs for a full season. I know some of you guys were talking about one recently. Thank you.

9. greg says:

I personally think Berroa did deserve Rookie of the Year over Matsui. Matsui’s poor defense really prevented him from being valuable at all that season. Berroa had a much higher Win Value in ’03

• They also stuck him in CF, somewhere he’s never belonged…

• Lanny says:

Since when has average defense ever hurt someones chances at an award?

• Manimal says:

David Ortiz’s lack of defense cost him the MVP and they gave it to Arod, the more complete player. I forget the year but I’m guessing it was an odd numbered year.

• whozat says:

David Ortiz’s lack of any ability to hold down any defensive position at all, thus making him able to contribute on only one side of the ball cost him that MVP.

Matsui was at least a tolerable LFer.

• radnom says:

It wasn’t like Ortiz had unquestionably superior numbers and Arod won it because he played the field.
            There were good arguments for either side, Arod had a slightly stronger case, and the DH factor made it a no brainer.

10. Manimal says:

Does signing John Rodriguez mean no more J-christ?

11. roy mcavoy says:

J-christ or J-chizzle was realeased to sign CC/Aj…i like to think he could end up back in the org though

12. John says:

Wow busy day. That’s what four signings now?

13. MikeD says:

The deal is contingent on Berroa admitting that Hideki Matsui should have won Rookie of the Year back in ‘03.
    ———————————

That was a good one. But really, he still deserves a first name. I thought maybe Geronimo was making a come back!

14. D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I like this move. Hopefully this is one of a few moves that is moving toward a strong bench on this team. Having more cheap options to play out in Spring Training and or the minors is what we need.