Feb

BA’s Top 100 Prospects List

Baseball America released their Top 100 Prospects List today, with Matt Wieters predictably at the top. David Price comes in at number two, and is followed by the usual suspects: Rasmus, Hanson, Heyward, Snider, et al. Three Yankees made the list, Austin Jackson at number 36, Jesus Montero right behind him at 38, and Andrew Brackman 92. Old pal Jose Tabata checked in at number 72 75. Chime in with your opinion in the comments, I think the Yanks’ farmhands are right about where they belong.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Moshe Mandel says:

I still dont get that Bard is on these lists while Melancon isnt near it. Bard was terrible until this year, and he still has no breaking pitches.

• Joseph P. says:

Seriously. Melancon pitched 17.1 more innings and had 14 FEWER walks. Melancon’s K/BB was 5.56, while Bard’s was 3.5, upheld by a ridiculous number of strikeouts (12.4 per 9). Also, Bard had an ERA north of 6.50 in 2007.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Exactly. I was talking about this with EJ Fagan over at our site, and the best comp for Bard I could come up with was Matt Lindstrom. Decent player, but not a top 100 guy. Not saying Melancon is one, but he is better than Bard. Neither should be on these lists.

• rbizzler says:

Agreed, but we will get our satisfaction when Melancon is making contributions to the big club down the stretch and Bard is still in AAA waiting for his September call-up.

2. I assume that #12 Pedro Alvarez’s ETA is listed as 2009 not because he’s that good but because the Pirates are that bad…

• Mike A. says:

Neither, it’s because BA is stubborn and refuses to admit that Alvarez isn’t as totally awesome as they thought. He’s very good, but not the Messiah they thought he was last year.

• EJ Fagan says:

I don’t disagree entirely with you Mike, but its not like BA rated him that far outside of their range of awesome college players in this year’s draft. Posney is at #14, Gordon Beckham is at 20, and Hosmer is at 24. Alvarez may deserve to be knocked back a few spots, but he’s not that far off.

3. Sean says:

correction; Jose Tabata is at 75, not 72. Also, I second you Moshe, imho, Melancon should be somewhere up there, considering he’s so close to the bigs, and he’s a very solid prospect at that, it’s not like he’s a Phil Coke or someone like that. No offense, I really do think Phil Coke is a good ballplayer.

4. Heh. Emphasis is mine (natch).

28 – TIM BECKHAM – SS, RAYS
    6: High school shortstops drafted No. 1 overall in the last 30 years: Shawon Dunston, Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Matt Bush and Justin Upton preceded Beckham.
    Opening Day Age: 19 – ETA: 2012

F$%&#NG EAST COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Marc says:

Melancon shouldn’t be anywhere on that top 100, but neither should Bard IMO. In no way should a guy who profiles to throw maybe 60-70 innings a year should be considered the top 100 prospects in baseball.

• Sean says:

I might agree with you, Marc, on the Melancon and Bard fact. Maybe, maybe not, as I’m (obviously) not familiar with all of the names up there (but I am with most), so I wouldn’t be able to put Melancon and/or Bard up against some of them. The one fact that I don’t agree with you on the whole reliever deserving a top 100 spot, because reliever are very important to teams, and a dominant reliever/closer is especially important(Yankee fans should know just how important a dominant closer can be). So if there is a guy in the minors that may be a dominant closer (like Soaria was a couple years back), he deserves just as much consideration as any other player.

6. You don’t think Joakim Soria, Joe Nathan, or Mariano Rivera could ever have been one of the top 100 prospects in baseball? That’s saying a bit much.

• Sean says:

I wholeheartedly agree with you…

• greg says:

Well Nathan and Mo broke into the bigs as starters and struggled pretty badly.

• Thomas says:

True, but Masterson was on the list last year. Most scouts and writers projected him to transfer from a mediocre starter to a great relief pitcher.

• Chris says:

Joba was on this list, and we all know he should be a reliever.

• Marc says:

Nathan, Papelbon and Mo were failed starters who florished once they moves to the pen. Soria came outta nowhere as a rule 5 guy. My point is that outside of the Mo, Nathan, Papelbon’s of the league, relief pitchers are so erratic from year to year. Bard and Melancon might go on and have dominate careers, but more then likely they’ll be average bullpen arms.

7. Tom Zig says:

0: Number of official professional innings he has pitched since signing with the Yankees in 2007.

They couldn’t have come up with something better to say about Brackman? Like I dunno 82: His height in inches.

8. Chris says:

About David Price:
    109: Strikeouts, in 110 minor league innings, between three levels last season.

Ian Kennedy in 2007: 163K in 146.3 minor league innings
    Joba Chamberlain in 2007: 135K in 88.3 minor league innings

I know his stuff is great and he looks great throwing it, but his stats don’t scream out #1 starter to me….

9. Drew says:

19: jesus’s age!

• Jay CT says:

How sweet is it to see Montero moving up these lists. Its really fricken exciting. If Piazza can be a catcher, they should be able to force Jesus into a catcher position.

10. anonymous says:

Montero is pretty high on these lists for his development level. If this kid can learn to catch hes going to be a top 3 prospect.

11. 62 – GORKYS HERNANDEZ – OF, BRAVES
    83: Runs scored last season at high Class A Myrtle Beach, including eight in the Carolina League playoffs.
    Opening Day Age: 21 – ETA: 2010

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Gorkys…

12. Russell NY says:

“So, Kennedy is better than Price because he has more strikeouts?”

Yep. Kennedy’s Price is right.

13. Mike Pop says:

Next year, the Yankees should have 6 or 7 guys in the top 100 if things go right.

14. McCaff says:

just got kicked out of class for being on this site while my professor was lecturing. She must be a Sox fan.

• Jay CT says:

Wow, how the hell did she figure it out? I use this site all the time in class. Matter of fact, I will be doing a fantasy baseball draft for the first time tonight while on here and in class. Going for the TRIFECTA, RAB, Fantasy Baseball and school!!!

15. pat says:

If you’re gonna put Inoa at 54 basically because he got a huge bonus, is young, throws hard and has huge potential then IMO Brackman and Betances should be right there with him. Thats friggin ridiculous. Basically Inoa is being ranked because of hype and potential whereas it seems everybody else is ranked according to production/potential. I just honestly can’t fathom putting him ahead of guys(besides our boys) that have actually played in the minors and have just as much upside.

16. Marc says:

Q: Rob Gee from Georgia asks:
    How does a relief pitcher like Bard make the list whereas Melancon doesn’t? Since they’re the same age, and if both have upside as closers, doesn’t K:BB trump raw K numbers, especially since Bard racked up a ton of K’s against the Sally League?

A: John Manuel: Bard has better stuff and performed better; Bard had great strikeout numbers and gets a ton of groundballs. He also has a smoother delivery and better health history. You can blame me because even though I think highly of Melancon, I ranked Bard higher than anybody else, his stuff is at another level than any other reliever on the list; he’s sitting 97-99 mph at times with tremendous life down in the zone.

Here’s their answer for those who live for the Bard/Melancon debate. I can’t really disagree if it’s based off pure stuff even though I don’t think Bard should be in the top 100.

17. Mike A. says:

I’m surprised no one mentioned this yet:

33 ANDREW McCUTCHEN OF, PIRATES
    1: International League center fielders with a higher OPS than McCutchen’s .770 (Brett Gardner, .836).
    Opening Day Age: 22 ETA: 2009

You guys disappoint me.

18. [...] a primo pitching matchup this afternoon: Phil Hughes vs Rays’ phenom Wade Davis (#32 on BA’s Top 100). The last time these two met was Game Four of the International League Championship Series last [...]