Feb

From the last row, a pole

Yesterday morning, Ross from New Stadium Insider sent me a link to this post, and it’s creating quite the Internet stir. It seems that some of the seats down the left field line on the main level have obstructed views, and the fans are going nuts. In my opinion, this is much less of a story than most people are making it out to be.

Stadiums have obstructed views; that’s just a crappy fact of engineering life. Sometimes you can’t see the outfield; sometimes you can’t see some foul territory; sometimes you have to lean just right to get the view you want. Support poles are pretty bad, and as one NYYFans.com poster noted, this row looks like a late addition to the Main Level. But what are you going to do? The Yanks will get bad press over this, but my solution is easy: Avoid the last row down the third base line on the Main Level. Problem solved.

Categories : Asides, Yankee Stadium

1. monkeypants says:

It would be less irritating if the obstructions did not result from beams supporting a restaurant. In other words, this is not an engineering reality because they needed to hold up, say, the second deck. No, it’s to hold up some other money-making, non-game-related facet of the New Yankee Stadium.

2. steve (different one) says:

while it’s not ideal, is it really that big a deal?

seems like people just want to find things to dislike about the new stadium b/c they love the old one so much. which i totally understand.

the restaurant is a different issue, which i think they need to sell the seats right next to it at a discount, but this one is a minor inconvenience.

the old stadium has tons of obstructed views, but those will be washed from our memory as we romanticize the old stadium in our memory.

as i’ve said before, i was in the upper deck of game 7 of the 2003 ALDS, and from my seat, i never saw Aaron Boone’s homer land.

i saw it in the air, and then you lose the view and i had to wait for the place to explode to know if it was fair or foul. didn’t lessen my experience even one tiny bit.

3. A.D. says:

I would rather have a support beam than have the upper deck collapse, but that just me

4. pat says:

People love when we spend mad loot on free agents, the draft etc. Where does that ridiculous money come from? Concessions, merchandise and now, a restaraunt. Get over it bitches you can’t have it both ways. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that the support beam is actually holding up a platform to accomodate people restricted to wheelchairs.

• Ben K. says:

None of those things are actually a valid point, and the wheelchair/beam issue is something else. Just because it costs a lot of money to sign free agents doesn’t mean the Yanks should plop people down behind support beams.

That being said, the impact of those beams on people ‘s views in the stadium will be minimal as far as I can tell.

• pat says:

People have been complaining about the restaraunt in center since the blueprints were made available to the public. Are the profits from the steakhouse or whatever it is directly paying the players’ salary? Of course not, but that money goes into a larger pool of money that is readily reinvested into the product on the field. I’m just looking at the grand scheme of things, people are not thrilled with a vehicle that will help keep the financial advantage we have come to know and cherish (that was a bit of sarcasm but you know what I mean.

And as I said before I misread the original article the beam isn’t directly supporting a handicapped section. I don’t care about an obstructed seat or two theres still close to 49 or 50,000 that have a perfect view.

• steve (different one) says:

right. since that space is in the batter’s eye, the only alternative to the restaurant is to have rows of unused seats painted black. instead they squeezed in a restaurant to milk every last inch of usuable space and turn it into cash.

is it a shame that it could have been designed a little better? yes.

but pat is right, the restaurant is added $$ over the current setup, which is also pretty ugly.

i really think all they need to do is discount the seats right next to the restaurant and everything would be fine….by definition, every bleacher seat is an “obstructed” view anyway since you can’t see the warning track from a seat in the OF….

• pat says:

Reading comprehension FAIL. The beam in question is adjacent to an elevated handicapped seating section.

5. Russell NY says:

I am not an engineer so I ask:

Were the beams necessary to cut costs? Maybe we would have to cut out the number of upper deck seats a good amount if we didn’t have the beam, as opposed to blocking the view of a small row of people?

All I hear now is “Citi Field doesn’t have obstructed view seats!” OK, well, Citi Field also cut down their amount of seats SIGNIFICANTLY more than the Yankees.

If any of this is true, I would rather have a beam than a 45,000 seat capacity (21.5% seats less than Shea).

Much ado about nothing. And as one of the posters here said earlier, “the obstructed view is of the foul ground behind home plate. it is not blocking ANY of the actual field.” And I would assume the person who took this picture chose the worst possible angle, for effect. If that is the worst angle, I wouldn’t mind the seat.

6. Relaunch says:

Although you make good points Ben, I don’t think it is a simple as avoiding the last row third base line main level. Most times on ticket master, full season tickets, partial plans people are given seats as take it or leave it. If people received those seats for their season ticket package for example and declined, they risk being put somewhere completely different (farther) in the stadium.

7. Jay CT says:

Ben, I thought you handled the law posts?

And when will you be doing a chat? Come on man, the people are waiting for you!

8. Ace says:

“my solution is easy: Avoid the last row down the third base line on the Main Level. Problem solved.”

Come on, dude. That’s just arrogant and ridiculous. You know as well as I do that several of these seats will be sold on Craigslist and Stubhub to people who just want to visit the stadium for a day.

9. A.D. says:

ZOMG The foul pole restricts my view get rid of it!1!1

This is one of those we have no other baseball news stories.

10. Zack says:

Really not a story, every stadium has support beams blocking someone’s view, if you dont like it go to a minor league game with seating for 5000 people only.

11. Januz says:

Once again, we see another issue that is exponentially increased to the nth degree, because it involves the New York Yankees. The cost of the Stadium (When the Giants/ Jets Stadium costs far more), Alex Rodriguez, (When Miguel Tejada, pleaded GUILITY to a FELONY for steroid related testimony, it barely gets covered (Lord, knows I am no Rodriguez fan, but lying to Katie Couric, is NOTHING compared to lying under oath to Congress)), the park issue (Yankee critics, and park lovers, say almost NOTHING about the fact, that Brooklyn has not had a major park built in over a CENTURY (Brooklyn Bridge Park would be the first). But the Yankees are on the level of Atilla The Hun or Genghis Khan, for destroying Bronx Parkland), the bond issue (When the Mets took bonds as well), and of course, the fact that the Yankees are “Bad neighbors” and “Insensitive to the community” (When of course, they STAYED, unlike the Football Giants).
    This is just another opportunity to take a cheap shot, at the Yankees, because they are an easy target.

12. Tom Zig says:

To the fans:

Sorry for making sure the upper levels don’t fall on you. You’ll have more to worry about than obstructed views if that happens.

Signed,
    The Yankees

13. C.Panella says:

Totally off topic here but just read that hughes put on about 10 pound during off season hopefully its all muscle and if it is i think this could be great for him possibly adding a MPH or two. Man im excited for ST!!!

14. barry says:

According to the Yankees via WFAN, any seat that has a view of both 2nd base and home plate isn’t obstructed.