Feb

Manny rejects Dodgers again for the fourth time

Ed. Note: The post originally scheduled for the overnight — about the new patch on the Yankee hats — will be back at 9:30 a.m. Since Manny’s rejection is timely, we wanted to toss this up as soon as we could.

I’m beginning to wonder if Manuel Aristides Ramirez actually wants to play baseball this year. For the fourth time this winter, Manny and Scott Boras have rejected an offer from the Dodgers. The latest one was a one-year offer for $25 million with a player option for 2010 at $20 million, and from the sound of it, Frank McCourt isn’t too keen to jump back to the table.

“We love Manny Ramirez,” the Dodgers owner said in a statement last night. “And we want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves. When his agent finds those ‘serious offers’ from other clubs, we’ll be happy to re-start the negotiations. Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents, we actually improved our offer. So now, we start from scratch.”

While the Giants remain on the periphery of the Great Manny Chase, I’m beginning to wonder if Manny isn’t going to be somewhat forced to sit out. By rejecting the Dodgers again, Boras has made sure that he won’t get a comparable offer from any time. Maybe Manny should stay in top shape and wait until teams come a-knockin’ in June for that playoff drive push. Who knows which team might be able to use one of the game’s best right-handed sluggers ever by then?

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. dan says:

Are you trying to get this put into the “Irresponsible rumor mongering category?”

2. MJ says:

I don’t understand. What is he doing?

3. Joey says:

omg I thought I was goin nuts there for a second, seeing the hats one second, not seeing them another, Manny popping up everywhere with random tests. pat must have slipped me one of his dolphin flogging roofies…

4. MJ says:

He could always get a 28 million dollar offer similar to Clemens and given the choice to skip any games during the regular season, but show up mandatory on playoff games.

5. Angel says:

GO FOR MANNY!!

TRADE MATSUI!!

• steve (different one) says:

there is no market for Matsui. none.

• Let’s trade him, and Kei Igawa, to Japan for Darrell Rasner.

• steve (different one) says:

even the whole “we can trade him to Seattle b/c he is Japanese” meme fell apart when they picked up Griffey for $2M or so.

to me, the only scenario where Manny winds up in the Bronx is if he sits out the first half of the season, and takes a pro-rated deal for $30M or whatever in June.

that, or A-Rod gets suspended sometime in the next 2 weeks, which is unlikely.

it does seem like he’s trying to force his way to NY (what else could he be thinking?), but i just don’t see the fit right now.

6. Rich says:

It’s a game of chicken.

7. Jamie says:

God imagine if Jeter was this candid and/or just an alcoholic? The press would just eat him alive.

I’m sad that I wasn’t alive to ever see Mickey play, even though I know that was like 50+ years ago and I’m in my mid 20s.

8. Januz says:

I really wonder if the Yankees are sniffing around Manny? There are several reasons why they could be. 1: They could really stick it to Joe Torre over his book (Think Torre would like THIRD place in the NL West this year?). 2: Manny would take a lot of attention and pressure away from Arod and the steroid issue. 3: It would make them a near mortal lock for the Series this year.

9. Joey says:

Hey Ben, when you get a chance can you look into the mobile RAB, the last few days I’ve been having trouble pulling it up on my phone (AT&T Blackberry Curve), it keeps giving me the error message “A Problem Occured While Trying to Render the Page.” No problem loading other pages like ESPN, just wondering if its my phone or the google reader. Thanks

10. Mike Pop says:

Ben, did you hear Manny rejected the offer?

Regardless of what you say, one of your many sick fantasies is having Manny Ramirez on the Yankees. I know it.

• Ben K. says:

Ben, did you hear Manny rejected the offer?

That made me laugh.

To answer your real point, from a pure baseball perspective, I love the idea of Manny’s bat in the Yankee lineup. He comes with a lot of baggage though and Buster Olney recently wrote that the baggage is one of the primary reasons why Manny’s still unsigned. The other reason is that Scott Boras has some rather zany contract ideas as evidence by this latest rejection.

• steve (different one) says:

considering the A-Rod circus that is going to follow the team all year, Manny’s “baggage” looks a lot less important than it did 3 weeks ago….

still, it’s not going to happen. the Yankees are maxed out.

• Mike Pop says:

I agree. It’s an awesome sight to behold but it’s less likely. What we should be hoping for is he just says screw it and signs a 1 year deal. Then maybe our Yankees try to get him in 2010.

11. NC Saint says:

Considering the market and the date, the most surprising part of this story is that the Dodgers would make an offer like that to Manny in the first place. He might have to go back to his home planet to sulk for a while before he’s ready to join the other kids and play baseball again.

• anonymous says:

They saved him a locker in spring training. If the dont sign him their fan base will go ape shit. Which is probably what Boras is hoping.

12. al says:

im sorry i didnt read the thread.. but he’s turning down 25 mil this year to play into borass and bring the yanks into the game… wtf..

• Tom Zig says:

I am of the opinion that the only way we bring Manny aboard is if we get a team to pick up Matsui’s entire remaining contract and then clear another couple mil on top of that.

I think the world would explode twice over if we signed Manny.

13. Mike says:

I’d tell him to go F himself. If the Dodgers increase their offer again when they are bidding against themselves then they deserve to get burned. Make him sit around for a little while and come crawling back for less money. This is ridiculous.

• Bo says:

whys it ridiculous? If he thinks hes worth more money/years? not like he carried them to the nlcs or anything. not like he played like an mvp or anything.

• Mike says:

Good point, $25 mil isn’t a lot of money for a 38 year old in a struggling economy who plays only when he feels like it. Apparently his antics overshadow his worth if there is one team negotiating with him. If there were other teams talking to him then yeah, it’s fine to deny it and wait for a better offer, but that is not the case.

14. Doug says:

It was turned down because more than half of the money was deferred (2009: $10M; 2010: $10M; 2011: $10M; 2012: $10M; 2012: $5M)

Boras countered with same contract but no deferred payments.

15. steve (different one) says:

i have no idea what Manny is thinking. this is really a great offer. $25M for 2009, then a $20M insurance policy in 2010?

16. Bo says:

You think Torre and Bowa will LOVE writing the name JUAN PIERRE LF in the lineup??

The Giants are dumb if they don’t get involved here.

17. Speaking of Torre, I find it deliciously ironic that the Dodgers, who have Joe Torre as their manager basically because his previous employer gave him an offer he found to be ridiculously lowball and borderline insulting, are now giving the best player in their organization an offer he’ll find ridiculously lowball and borderline insulting.

18. owine says:

Manny just wants to skip spring training. Duh. Everyone is reading into this too much.