Feb

Open Thread: Edwar on the shelf

edwar-pitchingAfter cutting his Sunday bullpen session short because of a sore shoulder, an MRI has revealed that Edwar Ramirez will be out of action for about three days with bursitis. I’m skeptical that it’s not something more serious, especially since Edwar complained of similar pain at the end of last season. Mark Feinsand reminds us that Steve Karsay and Ten Run Sturtze were both diagnosed with bursitis before undergoing major surgery. However, as Ben noted, this gives someone else a chance to win a job.

In other news, here’s who’s going to making the trip to Dunedin tomorrow for the team’s first exhibition game, courtesy of Roderick Boone:

Infielders: Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, Justin Leone, Eduardo Nunez, Ramiro Pena, Cody Ransom, Kevin Russo.
Pitchers: Brett Tomko, Jose Veras, David Robertson, Steven Jackson, Kei Igawa, Dan Giese, Christian Garcia, Michael Dunn, Anthony Claggett.
Outfielders: Colin Curtis, Shelley Duncan, Brett Gardner, Austin Jackson, Todd Linden, John Rodriguez, Nick Swisher.
Catchers: Kevin Cash, Jesus Montero, P.J. Pilittere, Austin Romine.

And because I’m a nice guy, here’s a schedule of televised games over the next few days:

Wednesday: Giants @ Indians (3pm, MLB Network); Red Sox @ Twins (8pm, MLB Network)
Thursday: Rays @ Yanks (1pm, YES); Marlins @ Mets (1pm, SNY); D-Backs @ Indians (4pm, MLB Network)
Friday: Cards @ Mets (1pm, SNY/MLB Network); Indians @ Padres (5pm, MLB Network)
Saturday: Twins @ Yanks (1pm, YES); Rays @ Phils (1pm, MLB Network); Twins @ Yanks (5pm, MLB Network, guessing it’s a repeat)

Hooray for baseball. Oh, and open thread … blah blah blah … be nice … yadda yadda yadda.

Photo Credit: Flickr user shamimsm

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Pop says:

I hope A-Jax sends a bomb into the stands.

• mike jones says:

Who are comparable players to Jackson? I’ve heard Curtis Granderson and Carl Crawford but i’m not sure.

• radnom says:

Mickey Mantle.

Ken Griffey Jr.

• Steve H says:

Bingo. And if he turns into Cameron, I hope we’re all happy, because we’ll have a reasonably priced good to great defensive outfielder with some pop for the next 10 years. I hope people don’t get let down expecting that he’s the next Mays.

• El Generalissimo says:

I always thought he reminded me of Torii Hunter. If you look at Hunter’s actual numbers I think its a pretty good comparison.

High doubles suggest he has more power while he ages and fills out, but the main thing for him is to keep refining his approach and become a more disciplined hitter. People forget he hasnt played baseball that long, and he will be 22 this upcoming season. I can see him being a 280 20 80 player with 20 SBs with great defense.

• Steve H says:

Funny that I haven’t heard that before, but it makes sense. Cameron and Hunter are extremely similar players. Career ops+’s of 105 and 106. Similar HR/AB ratios and both great defenders (in their primes). Cameron’s best two OPS+ years were 121 and 123, Hunters were 122 and 124. Wow. Bet Cameron wasn’t a few years younger and a tad flashier with the leather, he might have gotten that 5/90 from the Angels.

• Mike Pop says:

Ugh, the Angels. They sign him and Gary Matthews to ridic contracts but when they have Manny for the taking, they just don’t go after him. Good for us but if I was an Angles fan, I would be pissed.

• Mike Pop says:

If this guy doesn’t hit 330 with 35 home runs every year, he is a bust. That simple.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

If Cammy is his ceiling, I hope we keep looking for a CF whether A-Jax pans out or not.

Cammy’s a nice player, but I can’t honestly say I’ve been drooling to have him on the Yanks for the past 10 years.

• Mike Pop says:

If he turns out to be like Mike Cameron, I would be ecstatic.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

162 Game Avg-
                AB 569
                BB 72
                SB 28
                HR 23
                RBI 83
                SO 158
                BA .250
                OBP .340
                SLG .448
                OPS+106

Really? Nice player, but I think we can do better at some point. Good stopgap, but not someone I build around.

• Mike A. says:

Don’t get too caught up in career stats. In his prime Cameron was +4.5 win centerfielder. Only two full-time CF bested that this year.

• Mike Pop says:

Well yeah, he’s no Mickey Mantle but that kind of player coming out of the farm is great to have. Guy giving you those numbers from a premium position for cheap. I think you have got to be happy with that. Hopefully the farm improves and Grady Sizemore becomes available. That’ll be the day.

• Steve H says:

I’d rather have Grady Sizemore, but I would certainly take that from A-Jax. He’ll be cost controlled and a great fielder. No need to build around him, but he can be a vital (and cheap) piece of the puzzle. Wouldn’t want a no defense LF or 1B putting up those numbers, but I’ll certainly take that from a CF.

• Steve H says:

Cameron also has spent the majority of his career in pitchers parsk, Petco, Shea, Safeco.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Don’t get too caught up in career stats.”

Mike, aren’t you one of the guys who wants Swisher playing over Nady?

• Steve H says:

You can’t look at a 1 year sample size and think that overrides what a a guy has done. Like he said, in Cameron’s prime. If Swisher was 35, I’d advocate Nady based on Swishers regression likely being due to age. Instead, Swisher is younger than Nady and has been a significantly better player in his career when you consider league/defense/splits vs LHP and RHP.

• Mike A. says:

Mike, aren’t you one of the guys who wants Swisher playing over Nady?

For something like comparing Austin Jackson to Mike Cameron, when Cameron is several years past his prime. Usually when you compare a prospect to a big leaguer, you’re talking about peak value.

As far as Nady or Swisher, we’re talking about two guys in similar stages of their career. The numbers work better then.

• Moreover, if Jackson can actually OPS+ 106, from a legit CF who figures to actually be UZR positive instead of negative, that would make Jackson one of the 4-6 best centerfielders in the game.

Most centerfielders don’t have a positive OPS+. It’s a defensive centric position. The majority of the players their are either below league average offensively or below league average defensively. Guys like Cameron and Hunter, who are well above average defensively and slightly above average offensively are steals, studs, and gems, and wildly undervalued.

• I’ll take a Torii Hunter or a Mike Cameron over a Rick Ankiel or a Nate McLouth or a Carlos Gomez or a Jacoby Ellsbury anyday. Mike Cameron may have been one of the most underrated players of the past two decades.

• Cameron – PEDs = Me happy.

• Drew says:

Should be interesting for offline play… Manny a free agent.

2. Angel says:

Edwar and Veras are on the WBC roster :S

3. Just read the comments on the ‘Stable Line-up” thread.

Hilarious.

4. Infamous says:

Im eager to see Melancon pitch on thursday

5. RobC says:

any word if there is interest in Pudge

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yes, A-Rod is interested in asking him how he did steroids for 10 years and managed to never get caught.

6. J.R. says:

Well I think this injury to Edwar would mean he won’t pitch in the WBC.

Cashman is pretty good at putting an end to stuff like this.

7. Bryan says:

Does this mean that tomorrows game is not going to be on mlb.tv?

8. Angel says:

This will be a ERROR, the Ramirez is Ramon Ramirez(Boston)

9. Matt says:

That’s a great picture.

10. Televised baseball??!?!

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

• Matt says:

Baseball on TV ruins the purity of the game! Back in my day, we didn’t just get the pictures given to us, we had to imagine it ourselves!

• Heh, so I’m working on my novel and all that and I have to totally imagine the team and the city and everything. It’s actually really awesome.

• Mike A. says:

How you uh, how you comin’ on that novel you’re working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you’re working on there? Your big novel you’ve been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? (voice getting higher pitched) Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? (voice returns to normal) No, no, you deserve some time off.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

What? That will kill attendance!

Why would anyone bother coming to the ballpark if they can get it for FREE at home?!

11. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

And because I’M a nice guy too, here’s the radio schedule, for those of us who will be working Thursday and Sat @ 1:00

Saturday 28-Feb 1:15 PM vs. Minnesota

Saturday 7-Mar 1:15 PM vs. Atlanta

Saturday 14-Mar 1:15 PM vs. Houston

Sunday 15-Mar 1:15 PM vs. Minnesota

Saturday 21-Mar 1:15 PM vs. Detroit

Tuesday 24-Mar 7:15 PM vs. Boston

Friday 27-Mar 7:15 PM vs. Cincinnati

Sunday 29-Mar 1:15 PM vs. Pittsburgh

Friday 3-Apr 7:05 PM vs. Chicago (NL)(New Yankee Stadium)

Saturday 4-Apr 1:05 PM vs. Chicago (NL)
    (New Yankee Stadium)

12. Mike Pop says:

Alot went on in the sports outside of the MLB world today. Haynesworth might be signing with the Skins when FA starts, Marbury gets bought out, Rosenfel going to Vikings, and Marvin gets released. I wonder if Giants pick up Harrison and if Haynesworth will be another Racial Slurs big contract bust(if he does indeed sign with them). I guess Marbury latches on with the Celtics? I don’t know if that’s a good idea for them but they did just pick up Mikki Moore also.

13. McCaff says:

Im going to the game on Saturday. Any word on what prospects will be playing in that game, what 25 man roster guys are playing, any way of knowing this yet?

14. mustang says:

Listening to some of the stories on the FAN today about the ticket situation makes me feel better about what I got. However, the way the Yankees have handled this is down right disgraceful. One guy had his tickets for 25 years he rented suites for his kid’s birthday parties to tell that guy to take it or leave it and not even work with is unbelievable.
    The Yankees seem not only willing to tear down the old stadium, but also tear down some of their most loyal fans with it

• mustang says:

with him is unbelievable..

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

The Yanks are trying to deal with HUGE demand for tickets this year, so they’re in a tough spot as well. What many of the partial plan holders who were calling don’t seem to understand is that many of the seats they had last year were sold as FULL SEASON plans this year.

In the past, the full season plans were folks on field level inside Third and First. This year, demand was so high they sold out everything (except some overpriced $325 each seats) on field level, and most of the 2nd level for full season plans.

The fans who had partial plans are getting left with the scraps that are leftover. This was a case where you HAD to be proactive, the full season plans went on sale in early January. If you didn’t request an upgrade to full season, you’re left to sort through what’s left.

It’s not like it was some secret they were building a new ballpark, you had to be proactive.

15. barry says:

I really hope Edwars alright he’s a decent guy in the pen and he’s becoming proven.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah me too, I love watching him pitch.

And I still harbor a fantasy where he comes in with the bases loaded in the 13th inning of a deciding playoff game, and gets a game clinching, heroic strikeout with that change of his.

16. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Another one bites the dust. San Fran Chronicle set to close in a few weeks.

Damn. We all know the newspaper biz is dying, but that’s the only sizable daily in that town. Can’t be good for the local teams, or the rumor mill for the rest of us. There are still plenty of national outlets, but its hard to imagine a city with 2 local baseball teams not having one major newspaper associated with them.

17. Matt says:

If I were a member of Congress, I would pay some company to get me a spring for my seat to lift me up so I didn’t have to keep standing up for the damn ovations.

18. Manimal says:

Pete abe as all of the times/dates for MLB network+YES and on the radio.

19. MikeD says:

Watching 9th Inning of Ken Burns’ Baseball documentary, and I was surprised at how much time he focused on the Red Sox teams that lost, and equally surprised at how quickly he glossed over the championship Yankee teams of the 1976-1981, and ends with George Will talking about how Steinbrenner had “wrecked” the NY Yankees.

Wrecked? I guess in retrospect that wasn’t quite right Ken and George. From 1973 to 2003, Steinbrenner’s Yanks won 10 AL Pennants and six World Championships.

Burns is doing an update called “Extra Innings.” My guess is the only reason he’s doing it is to focus on the Red Sox finally winning, and then to quote George Will again about how Steinbrenner wrecked the Yankees after 2001. Color my cynical, Ken.

20. Mike Pop says:

Aww Shit!!!! I did a draft today and I wasn’t there for it until the 7th or 8th round so they drafted Youk and Ortiz for me. I just dealt Youk/Ortiz and BJ Upton for Mo and Hanley.

21. Joey says:

MLB 09 The Show – 1 Week to go! I’ve been dying for it forever, can’t wait

22. Eric S says:

LOL @ “Ten Run Sturtze”. Seriously…still laughing out loud while typing.