So what do you think of the new site design? Snazzy, huh? Anyway, here’s the links:
- It looks like Jeff Francis is going to miss the year with a shoulder issue, which is a tough break for the recently turned 28 southpaw. Matthew Carruth uses this as an opportunity to remind us all that locking up young players, especially pitchers, to long term deals covering their arbitration years (and then some) doesn’t always work out.
- Orlando Hudson caught on with the Dodgers today, leaving only four Type-A free agents unsigned. The Diamondbacks now have back-to-back first round picks, their regular 16th overall pick and the Dodgers’ 17th overall pick. You can see the updated draft order here.
- Jose Guillen don’t need no stinkin’ surgeon.
- There’s a new site out there call MLB Depth Chart, which (you guessed it) posts depth charts for all thirty clubs. Here’s their Yanks page. (h/t MLBTR)
- RLYW posted a list of the twenty worst offensive seasons by a Yankees’ second baseman. The only recent players to make the list were Enrique Wilson (2004) and Andy Fox (1996), but Robbie Cano‘s 2008 season came in at number twenty-one. Was he really that bad last year? Sheesh.
- Nick Swisher is Twitterizing.
- The 2009 college baseball season kicks off today, and someone’s already got a 31 game hit streak going. As always the place to get your college baseball info is The College Baseball Blog., while D1 Baseball is the best spot to get all the day’s box scores in one convenient location. In case you’re still obsessing over him wondering, Gerrit Cole is scheduled to make his first collegiate start with UCLA tomorrow at home against UC Davis.
Here’s your open thread. The Knicks and Nets are both in action tonight, but talk about whatever you want.