Feb

Open Thread: More New Stadium pics

Kevin at The Voice of the Yankees Universe has a slew of photos from a recently substantially complete New Stadium, and my Mo does the place look like a palace. Just check out the Team Store, or the premium seats, or what looks like an information desk, or the lockers. That’s crazy. There’s plenty more for you to see too.

Anywho, he’s the open thread for the night. The Rangers, Devils and Islanders are all in action tonight, and you’ve got a college baseball doubleheader on MLB Network. Talk about whatever you like, just be nice.

1. Paulie says:

The Yankees play a game on this Wednesday (25th). Does anyone know if it will be on TV? I know the game on Thursday will be on YES, but I have not heard anything about this Wednesday’s game.

2. I am going on a tour of the new stadium soon; it is looking real good already.

3. Matt says:

I am pumped for this thing.

4. Zell says:

Thanks for the link Mike. I’m going to try and get a ton more photos up tonight.

Kevin

5. RCK says:

Chad Finn ranked all the players on Boston’s 25 man in order of importance to the team. I’d love to see people’s take on this for the Yankees.

• DP says:

13. Justin Masterson

If you took Derek Lowe circa ’99, melded him with Bob Stanley, added a dab of The Eck, and then gave him a 96-mile-per-hour fastball for good measure, this versatile righthander is what you’d have.

Jeez, this team must be winning 150 games this year.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Speaking of that, how intimidated are visiting teams going to be, entering this PALACE of a stadium we have?

Especially if they know anything about the history of Baseball, it must feel like entering the Vatican.

They’re doomed. 159-0 baby, I’m missing 3 games because we had some rainouts and the visiting team didn’t want to reschedule.

• Ryan S. says:

The visitors clubhouse is supposed to be ridiculously swank. That’s good, because we want to be sure to impress guys like B.J. Upton and King Felix as much as possible for future courtship purposes.

• Matt says:

I believe Cole Hamels will be a free agent in the same year as King Felix and the Phils play at the stadium this year; so he’s a target as well. Man, you all thought I had a man-crush on Adam Dunn, that pales compared to the one I have for King Cole.

• Mike A. says:

Felix is one year ahead of him. He’ll be a free agent after 2011, Hamels 2012.

• Matt says:

Ah, my bad. I’m 99.9% sure the Phillies aren’t even going to try and extend him, which is dumb. I know they worked out a new deal that’s still relatively team friendly but it didn’t buy out any of his free agent years. The Phillies really didn’t have a great offseason, IMO.

A two year contract to Jamie Moyer? Oof.
                Chan Ho Park? Meh, can’t kill ‘em but still, they could’ve used an internal option for what he’ll give.
                Raul Ibanez? I know he’s solid but you had Pat Burrell and he wouldn’t have cost a first rounder.
                $18 million to Howard? Yeesh.

• Manimal says:

The infamous Julio Lugo at 25. And one of you guys here at RAB should consider doing this.

6. PaulT says:

Anyone check out Peter Gammons latest post on ESPN? I used to look so forward to reading his columns but now he is just a joke. He somehow must shoehorn the little piss-ant Pedroia into every column

“There are few teams in the past few years who play with more passion or more joy. Jimmy Rollins, like Dustin Pedroia, is human Red Bull, on fire 24/7.”

PATHETIC

7. dkidd says:

not sure i want my baseball team suiting up every day in what looks like an ian schrager hotel room

8. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

CUSHY SEATS!!!

CUSHY SEATS!!!!!!!

THEY GOT CUSHY SEATS!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I wish I could afford a few of those.

9. Matt L says:

For those who care Gerrit Cole won going for 6IP, 1 H, 7 K, 2BB

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Good for him, and I still hope we land him someday down the road.

• Ryan S. says:

Definitely. From what I understand, there is almost no doubt that he’ll be the best guy available to us come draft day.

• Reggie C. says:

Forget Cole. No way would I want the org to spend a first round pick on a kid who didn’t even want to hear out a $4 million offer the first time around.

• steve (different one) says:

if he’s the best player on the board when we pick, i could care less what happened 3 years earlier.

you can’t make decisions based on spite. you’re only hurting yourself.

that said, Jake is right. unless he gets injured before the draft, that ship has sailed. it is very unlikely the yankees would ever get another shot at him.

• Reggie C. says:

I don’t like revisiting old wounds. If Cole dropped to us from outrageous signing demands, then you pass. I really don’t care if he’s the best player on the board. Cole and his father straight disrespected this organization in failing to pick up the phone and inform anyone of the intention to remain college committed. He could be a graduated senior, and i’d still pass.

• steve (different one) says:

oh, i agree that they kindof screwed the yankees.

i’m just saying if he was obviously the best talent available, i think you have to let it go. it’s not like you’re teaching a lesson, b/c someone else will just pick him anyway. you’re just shooting yourself in the foot.

10. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“02.21.2009 Name that B-R page

As some of you may be aware, we’ve been sponsoring pages on Baseball-Reference for several years. With the new baseball season right around the corner, we thought we’d do something a little bit different and let our loyal visitors write our sponsorship messages.

And, what two better players to help us with than Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett. We’re not sure if Josh Beckett knows how to use the internet, but you know Curt Schilling does. That means that insecure blob will surely see whatever we put up there.

So here’s the deal. We will select our favorite entry for each player and submit them to Baseball-Reference for publish on those pages. To participate, simply post your entries on the wall of our Facebook page. Post as many as you’d like. But, we won’t submit anything to B-R that contains words your mother would be disappointed to hear. Keep it clever, not vulgar. Good luck in your quest to become internet immortals. ”

Schilling and Beckett . . . . . hmmmmm . . . . .

11. Matt says:

I’m predicting 25 and 18 for Griffin tonight.

12. [...] More New Stadium pics / Girardi Should Take a Page Out of Leyland’s Book [...]

13. RobC says:

has Pudge had any oofers?
    Yanks interested? Is he interested as a frequently playing back-up?
    I still love Molina’s D . He just needs to take a few pitches or foul a few off at the plate.