Feb

Open Thread: Posada says he’ll be ready for Opening Day

Chien-Ming Wang & Jorge PosadaPitchers and catchers are just eleven short days away, but two of the Yanks’ most important pieces are already down in Tampa getting their workout on. Anthony McCarron has the word:

Anyway, I am down here for a little pre-spring training visit and saw several Yankees hard at work, including Jorge Posada and Chien-Ming Wang. Posada has been showing up most days since early December to get his surgically-repaired shoulder ready for the season and says he can feel great progress and there’s no pain. He made 140 throws during a workout Monday and says he’ll increase the intensity Wednesday. He throws every other day and while he won’t be ready to catch in spring training until at least March 6, he said, he will be ready for opening day.

After a light workout in the batting cage, Posada went through a series of strenuous exercises in the weight room and did some agility drills.

[snip]

As for Wang, he threw his first pre-spring training bullpen, going for seven minutes and 27 pitches. Decked out in a dark blue shorts and a gray Yankees’ T-shirt pulled over a long-sleeve T-shirt, he threw only fastballs under a blue sky. Pitching coach Dave Eiland was among those who watched, along with pitching guru Billy Connors.

Wang, whose 2008 season was wrecked by foot injuries, said afterward, “Everything feels fine. It’s just normal.” Wang had gotten a clean bill of health in October from Yankee doctors, even throwing a few bullpens then. When he went home to Taiwan during the winter, he did a lot of fitness work on his feet, he said.

Well, of course Posada thinks he’ll be ready for Opening Day, anyone could have told you that. The real issue is whether or not the doctors say he’s ready. It’s very encouraging that he’s so far along in his rehab and hasn’t suffered any setbacks, but until he gets back out there in game action we just won’t know. Same goes for Wang.

Anyway here’s your open thread for the night. Rangers great Adam Graves is having his #9 jersey retired tonight at the Garden. The ceremony started at 6:30, but you can still flip over and catch the bulk of it. Hot shot prospect Artem Anisimov will also be making his NHL debut for the Blueshirts tonight, think of it as the hockey equivalent of Phil Hughes‘ first start. The Nets are hosting the Bucks, and the Knicks won’t give up 61 points to one player tonight because they’re off. The Caribbean Series (Mexico vs Venezuela) is on MLB Network at 9pm. Hooray for live baseball. Anything topic’s fair game here, just be cool.

Photo Credit: Bill Kostroun, Associated Press

Categories : Open Thread

1. Matt says:

Me + Adam Graves in NHL ’95 = pwn.

2. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Stevie Van Zandt is wearing an Oriental rug, Jeff Beukeboom’s in the house, the cast of the Sopranos gave Graves a Devils-inspired jersey, and Mark Messier’s crying. Nice night at the Garden.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, MSG always does a great job with these things, and the guys that they’ve honored have all been very worthy. Not just as players, but as people.

3. Jamie says:

Anyone know when single game individual tickets go on sale????

4. Mike Pop says:

So what your saying is…Artem is an overrated bust of a prospect who will never amount to anything useful?

5. Kevin G. says:

Can you guys read this:
    “i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!”

6. Brooklyn Ed says:

brand new pics of MLB 09: The Show. When I first saw it, I seriously thought it was 2k9.

7. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

NoMaas asks about the silence Jeter has in defending A-Rod, and then poses this question as a poll

“Derek Jeter has greater defensive range as a:

A-Shortstop

B-Team Captain”

To be honest, I cant decide.

8. A.D. says:

So what you’re telling me thus far we know from Yankee health updates:

Wang: 20 game winner
    Posada: MVP cantidate

9. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Bob Costas is leaving HBO for the MLB Network.

I’m mixed on this one. I can’t stand Costas when he’s getting all sanctimonious about fixing the game, and what’s wrong with Baseball. But when he’s doing his interviews, he generally does a first rate job.

I guess I’ll be watching with the remote handy.

10. A.D. says:

Well there goes the Valentin back-up catcher idea.

11. Matt says:

Through 68 games in the Show, I have 86 batted in with A-Rod.

12. John says:

NYP: “We’ve been down this road before. Alex is a teammate. I support him. Our whole team is behind him. We all support him,” Jeter told Jimmy Trania is an interview that will be posted in full tomorrow.

Good Job Captain

13. Manimal says:

Wow, in MLBFOM I tried to trade for Sizemore, I even went as far as to trade Hughes, Joba and Wang for him and Cleveland didn’t do the trade.

14. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Manny winds up on. . . . . . . .

• YFSS says:

The Yankees

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I wonder how the WBC plays into this. Could he play in the WBC and then hold out halfway through Spring training, waiting to see if someone gets hurt?

Actually, hitters are typically ready weeks before pitchers are. So he could hold out until mid-march either way. You get into the season unsigned, and you start becoming Barry Bonds part 2. The great player who nobody wants.

• Nady Nation says:

the YES network, taking the position that was formerly being saved for Mr. T.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Like Torre, he reacted with a combination of “bewilderment and bemusement at being offered the YES job”

But Manny is bewildered and bemused if you ask him what time it is.

15. Manimal btw I meant to acknowledge you on last night’s open thread but The Great Gatsby is truly a slow read!

• Ryan S. says:

Its the most boring, yet most amazingly well-written novel I have ever read.

• Matt says:

You’re finding it a slow read? Really? When I first read it, I found it quick because how brilliantly the language flowed. It just carried me right through everything. The same goes for “In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote. The latter is so incredibly dense yet so easy to read because of how perfectly each word fits with the one before it.

/Fitzgerald and Capote fanboy.

• Well, I just read Twelfth Night, so the transition will probably take a couple of chapters. True, the language is great, and Fitzgerald’s point is valid (I think), but the fact that he made this a portrayal of the evils of the upper class fills it with pompous language that makes it something I can’t just read in a short & quick time.

• Matt says:

“Twelfth Night” is a pretty good read, too.

I see what you’re saying, though; I tried to get my mother to read it and she had the same problem you did. She thought the language was gorgeous but just couldn’t get into it.

• Thomas says:

In 10th grade English we had to read it, and the entire class decided, by the end of the first page, Nick (the narrator) was incredibly gay for Gatsby. Our teacher got real pissed and like threatened us with suspension and failure, if we didn’t stop insinuating he was gay.

Here is the quote that made us decide that:

“When I came back from the East last autumn I felt that I wanted the world to be in uniform and at a sort of moral attention forever; I wanted no more riotous excursions with privileged glimpses into the human heart. Only Gatsby, the man who gives his name to this book, was exempt from my reaction—Gatsby, who represented everything for which I have an unaffected scorn. If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life, as if he were related to one of those intricate machines that register earthquakes ten thousand miles away. ”

Anyways, I hated that book. It was just so boring. Also, the symbolism was just so apparent and stupid (e.g. the light at the end of the dock, the garage transformed into a stable).

• Mike Pop says:

I thought that book was EXTREME bro!!!!

• Matt says:

“threatened us with suspension and failure”

Why? That’s a legitimate reading of the story. His being unsuccessful with women (Jordan and what basically amounted to stalking) also backs that up.

And Pablo, while you’re reading, take everything Nick says with a GIANT grain of salt.

• Mike Pop says:

Catholic School?

• Thanks for the heads up; he seems like a giant unreliable narrator.

• Thomas says:

I am glad to know we weren’t misreading it. We were threatened (maybe not to the level of failure, but definitely major detention and probable suspension), because we didn’t exactly use gay as a positive trait to describe Nick. I think our teacher thought it was sexual harassment and said some of us were being homophobic.

• I hate it when people get too pc. It reminds me of when I once had this gay teacher who, when commenting on the failure of Prop 8, said, “Blacks and Hispanics voted against gays!” There were like two black kids and one Hispanic (me) in the room, and I got so pissed when he said that. I responded to him by saying: “Many of them are socially conservative.” He responded with: “No, they’re just bigots.” I was like wow…

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

If anything, your story seems to paint you as the one who was “too PC”, not your teacher.

(When did I turn into Andrew Sullivan? I’m quite the little gay activist today, huh.)

• I think that “gorgeous” is sarcasm and not homosexuality. Nick is trying to downplay his wealth while hating on Gatsby for having so much of it.

• Matt says:

I wrote a paper about how Gatsby is actually a condemnation thereof because of how incredibly shady everything that goes into his making is. My thought was Fitzgerald is both admiring and taking a shot at the self-made man in his construction of Gatsby.

• I’m only through the 1st chapter but per what my teacher told me Fitzgerald takes potshots at every rich person in that book! (To think this is before the Great Depression…)

• Mike Pop says:

To throw my 2 cents in here. I couldn’t stand Myrtle, she pissed me off. George loved her and I felt like he was so proud of her as a wife. She just did not give a crap about him and was down in the apartment getting dirty with Buchanon.

Overall though, I found it to be an interesting read but I don’t read to many books/novels. In my opinion it was a great novel and it kept me interested to be honest.

• Pssh…I haven’t read the whole book yet.

I agree. I tried so hard to get myself into novels that I lost interest in reading for a couple of years. I discovered that they weren’t for me. Instead, I like to read history books and things of the sort instead.

• Mike Pop says:

My bad, bro.

• Matt says:

Funny, I was the reverse. For the first two years of high school, I was dead-set on becoming a History major in college and basically hated literature. Now, I’m an English major and while I still love history, I’ve taken only two history courses in my entire college career.

• Heh. I tried to force-feed my self Huckleberry Fin in 3rd grade…and I didn’t look at it again until this year (9th).

• Matt says:

Wow. Tom Sawyer in third grade? Yes. Huck Finn? Not so much. Huck Finn shouldn’t be taught before high school. Even though it’s got a link to Sawyer and people think it’s a “kid’s” story, it’s far from it. There are a ton of complex issues in there.

• Mike Pop says:

Your only in 9th grade but you are writing about politics on your blog? Impreesive man.

• @ Matt: At the time I got up to the part where the king and the duke put up their show in Arkansas. After that, I just got freaking lost.

@ Mike: Thanks. I quit writing baseball because (as you may be able to tell from the blog) I had strong(er) opinions on politics than baseball, and I love following politics.

16. steve says:

i thought billy connors left the organization and joined the A’s ? or am I thinking of another yankee pitching official ?

17. Matt says:

And tell Ted that A Capella is…and how do I put this gently…ear rape.

18. Thomas says:

On the subject of books, what is everyone’s favorite? I personally enjoyed “A Clockwork Orange.” It has a combination of a great plot and excellent prose.

Also, has anyone ever read “Atlas Shrugged” or another Ayn Rand book?

19. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“The Dodgers could sign outfielder Adam Dunn, second baseman Orlando Hudson and left-hander Randy Wolf for the amount of money they are offering left fielder Manny Ramirez — maybe less.”

and now McCourt sounds like he’s ready to move on.

“A day after Manny Ramirez rejected the Dodgers’ latest contract offer, club chairman Frank McCourt said the team still wants the outfielder back, but added that “at some point, we have to move on.”

“Two things are clear to me,” McCourt said. “We very much want the player back and we’re trying hard. We came up with what we thought was a creative proposal to give him a lot of money, and well deserved in a challenging economy, and give him flexibility if he feels it’s important to test free agency next year. I don’t see long-term contracts happening in this market we’re in.

“The other thing is, the agent [Scott Boras] is challenging to work with and we’ve tried hard. We’ve made three efforts and we still have not received a specific number from the agent, and I don’t know what to tell you. At some point, you have to move on and start to get ready to win a championship.”

Looks to me like Boras is trying to get them to bargain against themselves, but they just won’t bite.

20. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

. . . . and now McCourt sounds like he’s ready to move on.

21. Manimal says:

lol thanks Pablo. It was slow but I think that book captivated the era in which it was in more than any other book I’ve read. Anyways, We started reading Slaughterhouse five like last week, it is such a good book. The way he explains things is hilarious some times.

• I agree with you on your first point. I’ve never read a Kurt Vonnegut book in my life, and something tells me that I should start pretty soon.

• Manimal says:

I mean I barely know anything about the Twenties before reading that book, now I feel like an expert. Anyways, the way Vonnegut tells a story in a serious and funny way is awesome. He uses a lot of repetition that could get annoying sometimes but otherwise its an excellent book.

• Ryan S. says:

I’ve always associated Vonnegut with Hunter S. Thompson for some reason. You should give Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas a read, its the funniest book I have ever read.

• Manimal says:

From what I just read on wikipedia they are very similar, I will look into that book. I guess that book involves drug induced trips and Slaughterhouse five involves flashbacks caused by PTSD from WW2(or a deranged form of it). You could argue they are similar in that way.

22. Manimal says:

NO WAY! They are adding H-O-R-S-E to the NBA allstar festivities, how amazing would it be to see Lebron vs Kobe.

23. tmoney says:

Where can I find a good explanation of these new stats like ERA+, wOBP, and UZR?

thanks

24. Jack says:

Mike – What happens when the Pitchers and Catchers countdown reaches zero? Will you go straight to this season’s watch, or is there going to be an opening day countdown in between?

25. tmoney says:

thanks for the responses!