Mar

Bernie still wants to play

Watching Bernie Williams play during the World Baseball Classic was one of the more discouraging parts of an otherwise entertaining tournament. He didn’t look mobile in the field; his poor baserunning abilities seemed overexposed by a lack of speed; and his bat, while decent, is hardly feared. No one watching would peg Bernie as anything but retired. No one, that is, except Bernie Williams. In a CenterStage appearance taped yesterday, Bernie told reporters that he can “still play” and wants to get back into game.

Now, I love Bernie as much as any Yankee from the 1990s dynasty. I still proudly wear his jersey to games. But at this point, his repeated statements about playing are just awkward. There’s nothing wrong with retiring gracefully when age catches up, and Bernie has yet to embrace that. I wish he would.

Categories : Asides

1. Steve H says:

Great players have trouble knowing when to say when.

Feared players have an impossible time knowing when to say when.

Bernie Williams was the most feared hitter in the last 30 years, hence he still thinks he can play. When you’ve stood in the batters box (on both sides of the plate no less) and seen the pitchers literally shit their pants in fear, how could you possibly not have confidence you can play forever?

2. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I have 3 words for Bernie.

Puerto
    Rican
    Winter
    League

OK, that’s 4. But Luis Polonia is about 50 and he’s still playing down there. Knock yourself out, kiddo.

3. john says:

what was his average in the WBC

• Muel says:

People go 0-5 all the time. Supremely small sample size. He also walked a few times. Not suggesting he can still play, but there’s more to how he performed than just looking at his 5 at-bats.

• Drew says:

I was just answering his question. You say there’s more than looking at his AB’s. I’d say from watching about 3 of his AB’s he still has a good eye. I wouldn’t doubt he’d still hit somewhere over .250. And if he was just facing lefties it might even be higher.

4. john says:

how fitting is that Learn to play the guitar ad for this post?

5. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I just want everyone to know that I was singing “Bern baby Bern” in my seat long before they started playing it at the stadium.

They stole it from me.

6. Baseballnation says:

“Burn Baby Burn.”

7. dongintheface says:

Paul Oneil says:

When we were on the road during the 97 season Bernie got so much pussy that he started growing a pussy.

8. Mike Francesa says:

Make him the Yankee starting CFer now! Bernie should be the Yankee CFer for life! He’ll hit .280 and slug 20 HRs! Think of all the clutch hits! His defense? Bernie is so classy the balls will want to fall in his glove.