Mar

Fan Confidence Poll: March 16th, 2009

Things were much more positive in Yankeeland this past week than they were the week before, even if Robbie Cano and Damaso Marte came back from the WBC with hopefully minor injuries. Jorge Posada returned to action behind the plate and felt good afterwards, and Mariano Rivera threw both a bullpen session and live batting practice. A-Rod is also off crutches as he rehabs from his hyrid hip surgery.

As far as the action on the field goes, CC Sabathia got knocked around a bit but Joba Chamberlain returned to form and AJ Burnett dazzled in his second spring start. Things went so well last week that we even found out that Bryce Harper wants to be a Yankee and Guiseppe Franco will say ci vediamo dopo to YES. All in all, I’d call it a pretty good week.

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. At some point in the next few weeks I’ll create a permanent link to a graph showing the change in fan confidence over time, but for now this will have to hold you over. Don’t worry, I’ll pretty it up eventually. Thanks in advance.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Matt L says:

You forgot to mention that Jesus Montero hit a pinch hit Grand Slam, that has got to excite people about the farm system.

2. Reggie C. says:

I still voted a 7 on the poll. The AJ outing should have us all psyched and thinking that AJ could dominate lineups right off the bat. Its a bit disconcerting that ST goes on for so long. He’s ready to go right now. I won’t go any farther than a 7 since CC has proven to be teh Suxor1!1

3. The Lodge says:

My vote went from 8 to 9 just from leading the lead-in to the poll. I’m so persuadable…

4. Jake H says:

I’ve voted 8 so far each week. Pitching has been pretty good and really the Yanks haven’t put their opening day line out there for a game yet so it’s hard to see how the team is going to be. Pete A has a link to a great piece by Sherman talking about how the 5 starters of the Yanks are getting close and are watching each other’s BP’s.

5. Jay says:

I voted a 2. And the reason why is that success for the Yankees is relative to the Red Sox. So they could be the second best team in baseball and still be a failure.

And I believe that the Red Sox (the fan base and ownership) understand some things that most of the Yankee fan base and ownership doesn’t understand. In particular, they understand the importance of compensation and hometown discounts as a competitive advantage — especially in the context of a system with a luxury tax, even more so in the current economic environment.

And whatever happens in any single year, until the Yankee ownership understands those things, I believe that the Yankees will continue to play the role of dim witted Goliath loser to a more enlightened, only slightly less Goliath-esque competitor.

But fear not, only Yankee fans will be frustrated. I believe that our stupid strategy will keep Selig, Red Sox and Mets fans and Yankee haters everywhere very happy.

• steve (different one) says:

In particular, they understand the importance of compensation and hometown discounts as a competitive advantage — especially in the context of a system with a luxury tax, even more so in the current economic environment.

i like how you try to sound smart here, but you aren’t really making a point.

• A.D. says:

So basically because they’ve signed Lester for 2 more years than he was already signed the Sox are better?

Locking up people you develop to deals don’t always work. See the Tigers with Bonderman & Robertson.

What exactly are you looking for the Yankees front office to do?

• steve (different one) says:

i assume he is talking about Wang, which is a pretty horrible example given what happened last year.

• A.D. says:

Given that he’s had 3 injuries in 4 years & they did lock-up Cano. I’m sure if the Yanks had the young positional players the Red Sox do, then they’d sign them.

• Ryan S. says:

Going year to year with your arb. eligible players, especially pitchers, is usually a good idea for a wealthy team like the Yanks. We’re basically giving ourselves extra flexibility at the cost of potentially paying a few more million a year. Its a smart move for teams where spending money is a strong point of the organization. That said, if we had Dustin Pedroia on our team, I’m pretty damn sure we’d have locked his arb. years up too.

• jsbrendog says:

and willis. coughcoughsuckasscoughcough

• radnom says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume you are talking about the recent extensions given to Pedroia, Youk, and Lester.
      What you actually fail to understand is that this is not really comparable to, say, Jeter’s current deal, since Jeter was a free agent but all those players were under team control. I wouldn’t call their deals a “hometown discount”…they were going to be Red Sox either way and traded the possibility tof making slightly more in arbitration for the security for garenteed money should injuries strike.

• A.D. says:

Yeah its not a hometown discount, its become a fairly common pre-arb signing “discount”, which isn’t necessarily all that much of a discount because you’re paying the players millions a year, when you could be paying them the league minimum. In return the team gets what presumably will be a below market value contract once they get near/into FA years.

• Jay says:

No, radnom, I’m not talking only about the recent extensions given to Pedroia, Youk and Lester — although I believe those do serve to make my point, too.

And A.D., I respectfully beg to differ when you say:

“The only Sox player really signed to any type of “discount” in which the Sox negotiated is Wakefield, which is a ridiculous team friendly contract, which Wakefield for whatever reason likes, and I have no idea why any player would agree to it.”

My goodness, Do you really think that the Yankees would have negotiated a four-year contract with David Ortiz at only $13 million per year and an option year with no buyout at $12.5 million in the aftermath of his dominating like he had in the years leading up to that contract?

Do you think that the Red Sox would have given Alex Rodriguez a 10-year contract guaranteeing $275 million or $27.5 million per year and worth up to $30 million per year to be paying him through age 42?!!!!!!!!!! That idiot contract alone is going to give Bud Selig, Red Sox and Mets fans and other Yankee haters great joy for years after Rodriguez is anything resembling a baseball player. And the Yankees were bidding for A-Rod only against THEMSELVES! I doubt that anybody else would have given him $20 million per year for 10 years, much less $27.5 million or more.

I don’t have time to detail it right now, but if you want to play the game, let’s take turns listing the albatross contracts that the Yankees and Red Sox have tied around their own necks the past half a dozen or so years. I would respectfully suggest that there’s no comparison. The only ones that come to mind with the Red Sox are Drew and Clement. With the Yankees, there’s almost no end.

Just my opinion…

• steve (different one) says:

exactly.

the current CBA is set up in such a way that there is a “sweet spot” for both teams and players to sign mutually beneficial contracts a few years before free agency.

the first big contract for a player is the most important one in their career given the utility of wealth. it sets them up for life and it shifts 100% of the injury risk onto the club. in exchange for that, the club usually gets a discount from pure Free Agency prices. it is more important for the player to get that big contract than it is to wrangle every last dollar they could get by going year to year.

that is NOT the same thing as a “hometown discount”, and anyone who understands the system knows the difference.

no, the competitive advantage that the Sox have is NOT that they signed those contracts. those contracts are fine. they are are good b/c the Sox can afford the risk.

the competitive advantage is that the Sox HAVE those players at all. and THAT advantage is because the Yankees ignored the draft from 2000-2004 while the Sox were drafting these guys. the Yankees under Cash/Opp have turned that ship around, but they are still playing catch-up.

THAT is the issue. not that the Sox guaranteed the arb years for a few of their young players.

• MattG says:

So, assuming the Sox got a 10, with the values being relative that means you are 5 times more confident in the Sox organization?

That seems a little off.

6. Joe R says:

By “overall future” do you mean as in like, this season only or this season as well as the next one or two.

• A.D. says:

I believe its suppose to be a bit of a combo. Presumably if the farm blew (or you think it blows) then even if you have high hopes for this season, you don’t have the highest hopes for the overall organization going forward, and thus your overall number is lowered.

7. jsbrendog says:

i have to say, after watching burnett pitch i was amazed. i have no idea what i voted the previous times but i went with 8 this time because while we’re talking long term outlook I don’t like the arod-jeter tandem being there for so long but for at least the next 3 years i feel we are looking extremely good and if we can nab an infield/outfield position star prospect throughthe draft this yr or next then to me that outlook only brightens.

8. zs190 says:

still a 7 for me. Burnett has looked awesome so far but there was never any doubt that his stuff is tremendous, looking great in spring doesn’t change anything about his fragile health. I’m still very worried about ARod possibly missing a good chunk of the season (just feels like he’s going to try rushing back then get a setback).

9. MattG says:

I am looking at this confidence poll not in my confidence of the Yankees competing in 2009, which simply could not get higher than a 6.67 no matter what happens in March, but my confidence in the Yankee organization to continually field a team that is going to be competing for championships.

Nothing has happened between the first poll and second poll to change my ranking. The Yankees still have the most money, still are the best team in November and December, seem to be finally on board with the importance of fielding, seem to have a reasonable philosophy for bringing along pitching, they are still too conservative with their drafting and bonuses, and they still don’t understand how to identify and retain the worthy arb-eligible candidate, or why they need to do it. They’re not perfect, but aside from the Red Sox, I don’t know if there is an organization that would have a higher ranking from me.

• Jay says:

MattG,

I agree with you on almost everything. The only thing I disagree with you on is that the Yankees are still the best team in November and December. Perhaps you’re looking at a different team than I am. When was the last time the Yankees won a SERIES in November or December — of ANY kind?!

Second, I agree with you completely that, given their resources, I don’t know if there is an organization that would have a higher ranking from me.

But isn’t that like saying, “Except for the Allies, Hitler had the best military in World War II” or “Except for the Romans, Hannibal had the best military during their conflict” or “Except for the North, the Confederacy had the best military in North America” or “Except for Alexander the Great, the Persians had the best military in the world”?

That’s my point exactly, MattG. Because the Red Sox do enough more right than the Yankees and have almost as much in the way of resources (and more in some ways) the Yankees are setting themselves up perfectly to be like a dimwitted Goliath to lose to the Red Sox for years to come (with this year as a possible exception, by the way) and make Bud Selig, Red Sox and Mets fans and other members of the Yankee hating universe everywhere very happy.

Thank you for making my point.

10. [...] and if you haven’t gotten a chance to vote in this week’s Fan Confidence Poll, make sure you don’t miss [...]

11. Jay says:

I meant to say:

Second, I agree with you completely that, given their resources, ASIDE FROM THE RED SOX, I don’t know if there is an organization that would have a higher ranking from me.

12. [...] Last week was another good week in Yankeeland, as the team rolled to nine straight wins thanks to strong performances from CC Sabathia, Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain. AJ Burnett struggled for the first time in pinstripes, but the important thing is that the members of the rotation are there for each other. Jorge Posada’s return from offseason shoulder surgery continued to go well, as he threw out three potential basestealers on Sunday. A-Rod is ahead of his rehab schedule out in Vail, another plus. [...]