Mar

Fan Confidence Poll: March 23rd, 2009

Last week was another good week in Yankeeland, as the team rolled to nine straight wins thanks to strong performances from CC Sabathia, Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain. AJ Burnett struggled for the first time in pinstripes, but the important thing is that the members of the rotation are there for each other. Jorge Posada‘s return from offseason shoulder surgery continued to go well, as he threw out three potential basestealers on Sunday. A-Rod is ahead of his rehab schedule out in Vail, another plus.

Off the field, we learned that the Yanks are going to open the New Stadium to the Bronx community, and that they really don’t care about A-Rod‘s shenanigans. The center field job is apparently still up for grabs, but me thinks it’s not as open as the team wants it to appear.

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. At some point in the next few weeks I’ll create a permanent link to a graph showing the change in fan confidence over time, but for now this will have to hold you over. Don’t worry, I’ll pretty it up eventually. Thanks in advance.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. zs190 says:

Rotation has looked great lately, I feel a bit more confident so upping it to 8 this week.

• whozat says:

That doesn’t make much sense. They’re all really good/great pitchers. Throwing a couple of good spring innings doesn’t really speak to what will impact the organization’s overall future: health. If Burnett and CC are healthy more often than not for the duration of their time with the team, then things will be good. I feel better about the latter than the former, but I don’t believe AJ’s story that he’s figured out how to stay healthy.

The bigger issues for the organization going forward are
      1) the Jeter problem
      2) the potential Posada health issue
      3) potential ARod health issues
      4) pitching health.

• radnom says:

“the Jeter problem”

Give me an effing break. He had a down year last year likely do to a nagging wrist injury, and now all of a sudden he is a weak point on the team. In 07 he was around his career average OPS and finished 11th in the MVP voting and in 06 he had one of his best seasons and finished 2nd. Just because he is overrated elsewhere doesn’t mean you have to drastically over compensate and make an issue out of nothing. He is still an asset to this team, much more of a positive than a negative.

“2) the potential Posada health issue
        3) potential ARod health issues”

Both concerns, Posada more so. Arod actually stands to miss about the same amount of time (or less) than he did last year. The only reason people are overreacting and clamoring for replacements this time is it happens to be the start of the season.

“4) pitching health.”
        Mark down every team for this issue. Yankees are better protected than most however, having several horses (CC, Pettite, Wang freak injury not withstanding) and depth behind them (Hughes, Aceves, IPK).

• I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the Jeter “problem” whozat mentions refers more to how we plan to address his impending contract situation (how much/how long we pay him for the tail-end of his career where he’s bound to decline in productivity) and how we plan to address moving him off of SS when he’s been reluctant to even speak to the issue to this point.

Jeter isn’t a problem for 2009. What becomes of Jeter after 2010 is a potential problem. He’s going to want to be paid like an elite SS and he just won’t be anymore. He’s going to want to stay at SS and he won’t be able to anymore. We will have to consider the possibility that letting him walk is best for the team, even though doing so would be near impossible for many reasons.

Those are real potential problems.

• radnom says:

I know all that. What I said applies to the rest of Jeter’s current contract, the next two years.

I find it hard to believe that a possible contract 2 years from now is the biggest concern of the NY Yankees. I’m really not even worried about it, the organization showed this offseason that they are not afraid to play hardball with veterans who have 4 rings but a false sense of their value.

• whozat says:

“I find it hard to believe that a possible contract 2 years from now is the biggest concern of the NY Yankees.”

In terms of the organization’s long-term health? I disagree. The guy’s been the face of the franchise, and he is unlikely to be a particularly useful player after 2010. His defense at SS is already not very good, and his bat really doesn’t play anywhere else. Andy is the first guy they’ve played hardball with. I don’t know if they’ll be able to do the same with Jeter, though maybe ARod’s hip issue will make Hank and Hal balk at overriding Cashman again and signing a player into his 40s.

2. My record is consistent – I’ve been voting with 8 every time. Please vote for me in 2012 America.

3. “… AJ Burnett struggled for the first time in pinstripes, but the important thing is that the members of the rotation are there for each other all really, really good pitchers.”

Fixed.

4. steve (different one) says:

Posada’s arm is the story of the week.

healthy Posada = good things in 2009

5. anonymous says:

Watching Jeter in the WBC -1

6. I am not voting high until Arod is back and guys like Posada and Matsui prove they’ll stay healthy.

7. Cor Shep says:

Who honestly voted 1? Troll?

8. Lou says:

I think until the fact that they are the worst defensive ballclub in the majors (or close to it) is addressed, we’ll be disappointed each September.

• Clayton says:

Maybe getting rid of the two worst regulars (Abreu and Giambi) for two above average defenders (Teix and RF winner) will help this problem.

9. Drew says:

I’ve voted 9 in every poll! While we don’t have the Rays Minor League depth, we have mucho deniro and Joba. :)

10. [...] past week was a bit of a slow one in Yankeeland. As expected with hardly a week left to go in the preseason, [...]