Mar

Open Thread: My RAB Fantasy Baseball League Roster

Fantasy Baseball AddictThe RAB Fantasy Baseball League drafted Saturday night, but not before we hit a bit of a snafu with the keeper settings, so unfortunately we had to push the draft back a week. A few people backed out, and we went from a 20 team league to a 14 team league. Next year we’re going to have to go back to Yahoo, because ESPN was a bit frustrating, especially the actual draft software.

My strategy last year was to load up on hitters early, and not take any pitchers until my last nine picks because they tend to get hurt and are just more unpredictable in general. It didn’t go so well, so I scrapped that strategy all together and went back to my traditional routine of mixing pitchers in as I go. I still grabbed hitters with my first four picks, but after that I targeted some young arms with upside potential.

We have twelve stat categories, six for hitters (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP) and six for pitchers (W, HD+SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS). Holds + Saves instead of straight saves adds a little more flexibility to league (plus it’s something different), and I took advantage of it by hording top set-up men with my last few picks. After all, what’s the point in wasting a fourth or fifth round pick on a guy like K-Rod or Joe Nathan when Scott Downs or Russ Springer could give you similar stats sixteen rounds later?

The first round went Hanley, Pujols, Wright, Reyes, Braun, Rollins, Sizemore, Miggy, Utley, Tex, Lincecum, Chipper, Johan, Howard. Here’s the squad I drafted (round/overall pick):

C: Russell Martin (4/51)
1B: Derrek Lee (6/79)
2B: Brian Roberts (3/34)
SS: Jimmy Rollins (1/6)
3B: Aubrey Huff (8/107)
OF: Brad Hawpe (9/118)
OF: Conor Jackson (10/135)
OF: JD Drew (13/174)
UTIL: Jack Cust (14/191)

SP: Felix Hernandez (5/62)
SP: Zack Greinke (7/90)
RP: Jason Motte (18/247)
RP: Ryan Madson  (20/275)
P: Josh Johnson (11/146)
P: Gil Meche (15/202)
P: Jered Weaver (16/219)

BN: Alex Rodriguez (2/23)
BN: Mike Aviles (12/163)
BN: Ryan Spilborghs (21/286)
BN: Chris Volstad (17/230)
BN: Jose Arredondo (19/258)
BN: Scot Shields (22/303)

Obviously I took A-Rod with an eye more towards the second half. We have eight DL spots, so I’ll just slide him over and grab a player out of the free agent pool as needed once the season starts. Huff is my third baseman for the time being, and if he puts up numbers anywhere close to what he did last year, I’ll be golden. He, Jackson and Aviles are eligible at multiple positions, so I have some flexibility. Most days I’ll start all four relievers, unless of course I have more than three starters scheduled to pitch that day. I’d like to have someone better than Ryan Spilborghs as my JD Drew insurance, but hopefully Drew can stick it out until A-Rod comes back. I’m happy, I think I can do some damage with this team.

Anywho, here’s your open thread for the night. The Nets are home against the Bucks, the Knicks are in Utah, and the Devils and Rangers will face-off in the Garden. You’ve also got new episodes of House and 24 on FOX, which is probably where I’ll be. Talk about whatever you like here, just be nice to each other.

Oh, and don’t forget to vote in this week’s Fan Confidence Poll if you haven’t already. Thanks.

Photo Credit: Waiting for Next Year

1. I have three fantasy teams and they all seem to have the same core of players. I’m so bad at getting attached to certain players.

I really can’t wait for the season to start.

2. UNION YES. says:

Chipper in the 1st round? That’s just crazy.

3. pat says:

Steve H if you’re out there I’m giving you a belated +1 ietc for your Thurmon Murmon quote last night.

4. JobaWockeeZ says:

Not nearly as crazy as a draft I was in.
    A-Rod was picked first (before his announced injury)
    Tim Lincecum was picked second (Yeah I still question this)
    Jose Reyes was pciked third.
    I was fourth and I got number 1 ranked Hanley.

• Matt says:

In one draft, I got Pujols with the fourth pick. Tex was #3 and A-Rod was number…I don’t know…but it was way too late considering it was pre-injury.

• I picked Lincecum in the first round. Granted, I’ve never actually done well in a fantasy league…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

It’s not bad picking a good pitcher in the first round. It’s just that he had the number 2 pick. I’d get a real good power hitter first as a priority.

• Matt says:

10. Miggy Cabrera
      11. Hamilton
      12. Johan
      13. Hamels
      14. Howard

• UNION YES. says:

A little early for Hamels too. I’m thinking the team that picked Tex at 3 could have probably landed him in the 2nd round at pick 17.

• Matt says:

Yeah, the dude who picked Cole’s team name is “Phillies Champs” so I think we can see why he picked Cole. There was another dude in this league who dropped Jeter because he didn’t want any Yankees on his team. Sadly, I wasn’t able to get a waiver claim.

5. UNION YES. says:

Yo Mike, any notable offensive FAs out there? Anyone you’re keeping an eye on?

6. UNION YES. says:

In one of my leagues I drafted Miguel Cabrera in the 1st round, then nabbed A-Rod in the 2nd.

7. VO says:

Which do you guys think will have the best seasons? Brian Giles, Chris Young, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, and David Dejesus.

8. Aaron says:

My team (on auto-pilot because I was at a soccer game) was the one that got Chipper in round 1. Had I been live, that would have been a 6th or 7th rounder for sure. That said, I think the dynamic of adding obp as a stat (alongside ba) means he can be a top 15 player. Time will tell, of course, but I concede that was a huge reach.

• UNION YES. says:

You didn’t organize the pre-draft rankings or anything? Even if you didn’t, the default rankings don’t have Chipper ranked that early. ESPN’s autodraft should have picked the next best player with your pick.

• Aaron says:

I imported the baseball prospectus projections for 2009. Using our stat set, they ranked him #6 overall. I better hope they’re right. We shall see.

• andrew says:

Ouch… you better hope they’re right, but i doubt they are

• UNION YES. says:

Oh ok. You could have always drafted him a few rounds later if you wanted him bad enough. He wasn’t going anywhere for awhile. It’s ok though, I wouldn’t worry about it.

9. John says:

Sorry Mike, but I am going to root for JD Drew not being productive for you (and the Sox, of course)

10. Steve H says:

I went all hitting early and skimped on pitching. I was just able to trade Ichiro for King Felix, Josh Johnson (who I think will breakout) and Chris Young-OF. We have OPS as a stat which drags down Ichiro’s value.

11. Oh, nice. Mos Def on House.

12. GG says:

My fantasy team has pretty similar roster settings, 3 keepers: A-rod, Miggy Cabrera, and Reyes…had the fifth pick in the draft, heres what I came out with:
    McCann
    Miggy
    B. Phillips
    Reyes
    A-Rod
    Abreu
    Ibanez
    Eithier
    T. Hunter
    J. Bruce
    E. Encarnacion(took him in the last round b/c of A-Rod, really want the roster spot to open up, prob gonna drop him for like Carlos Guillen b/c hes more well rounded)

Kuroda
    Carmoa
    C. Young
    J. Shields
    M. Garza
    A. Sonnanstine
    Fuentes
    J. Nathan
    Buerhle
    Randy Johnson
    C. Kershaw

Offense seems potent and well rounded. Looks like my pitching could use some help.

13. ckach says:

wright #3
      braun #9
      dunn #12 (high, right?)
      longoria #21
      mccann #24
      granderson #35

so overall, im pretty excited…high fives all around

• andrew says:

12 is very high for Dunn… ridiculously high.

Standard 5×5 League
        Dunn 79 runs, 40 HR, 100 RBI, 2 SB, .236
        Thome 93 runs, 34 HR, 90 RBI, 1 SB, .245
        Giambi 68 runs, 32 HR, 96 RBI, 2 SB, .247

The difference being, Dunn is being taken in the top 6 or 7 rounds, and Thome and Giambi are nearly undrafted

• ckach says:

i know…i didnt really understand it. i got him in a trade anyway so its not like i wasted a high pick. but still: adam dunn as the number 12 player in all of mlb seemed kinda insane to me

14. Jamal G. says:

SP Matt Cain
    RP Joel Hanrahan
    RP Rafael Perez

Bench Wandy Rodriguez
    Bench J.P. Howell

15. A.D. says:

Classic ESPN move today, the were previewing the AL West, and discussed who’s the best fielder. My first though was Mark Ellis, given that he’s one of, if not the best defensive 2B in the game. As I thought about it they could go with any of the Seattle outfielders, or they could even go with something fairly safe such as Adrian Beltre, but no, the go with “Mr. Webgem” Torrii Hunter, because with “all those diving catches he has to be the best”.

I laughed and thought:

• Matt says:

Since the end of ’08, ESPN has given me many reasons to not watch or listen to most of what they say in terms of baseball. I’ve made it a mission to watch as little Baseball Tonight this season as possible.

• steve (different one) says:

i heard Karl Ravech say today that Boston’s pitching staff could be “the best ever”.

seriously.

• Matt says:

Wow. Usually, I see Ravech as the only level headed one on that whole crew.

• A.D. says:

Yeah there’s been many times hes had to save face for something crazy that E.Y. said, and propose the alternate, logical, and correct POV for the viewers.

• Zack says:

he also thinks Damon reaching 30 stolen bases is impossible and laughable, you know cause he’s been 25+ the last 3 years

• whozat says:

Yeah, if ALL the injured pitchers they signed turn out to be completely healthy, Beckett pitches like he did in 2007 and NOT how he did in either 2006 OR 2008, Matsuzaka turns out to be the only pitcher ever who can walk 5 guys per nine and still not give up any runs, and John Lester doesn’t regress at all to the mean/suffer any injury despite a pretty large increase in innings year over year…sure.

16. JobaWockeeZ says:

Going off topic here but our rotation is CC, Wang, Burnett, Pettitte and Joba right? Well since we’re having CC pitch the first game of the season and the first game at the new Stadium we’re cutting out one of Joba’s starts. So does he start the next day or does it go through Wang until it reaches his spot again? I just want to know who pitches on a game that I bought tickets for.

• A.D. says:

Effectively the rotation is this:

CC
      Joba
      Wang
      Burnett
      Pettitte

Joba misses his first start (the 2nd day of the season is an off day) and they will skip him throughout the season, but the first 3+ times around this works.

Stadium opening day will be CC, the Friday Joba, Sat Wang etc.

17. A.D. says:

RP Fuentes
    P Zambrano
    P Qualls
    P Lyon

P Floyd
    P Maholm
    DL Scherzer (no suppose to miss time)

I felt my draft was okay, but I just didn’t get in a groove drafting, gotta make up for it on the waiver wire.

18. this House episode is pretty cool

19. Austin says:

the MLB network has the Indians game on, Pavano’s pitching

20. RAB Team:

C: Chris Iannetta (11/150)
    1B: Mark Teixeira (1/10)
    2B: Robinson Cano (7/94)
    SS: Stephen Drew (6/75)
    3B: Alex Gordon (9/122)
    OF: Josh Hamilton (2/19)
    OF: Matt Kemp (3/38)
    OF: Justin Upton (8/103)
    UTIL: Paul Konerko (12/159)
    BE: Nick Swisher (15/206)
    BE: Cody Ross (20/271)
    BE: Chase Headley (16/216)
    BE: Michael Bourn (19/262)
    BE: Hank Blalock (22/299)

P: Ricky Nolasco (10/131)
    P: Brandon Morrow *I hate the M’s for making him a closer* (14/187)
    P: John Maine (18/243)
    P: Joba Chamberlain (4/47)
    P: Chad Billingsley (5/66)
    P: Joey Devine (13/178)
    P: Matt Lindstrom (17/234)
    BE: Andrew Miller (FA pickup for John Rauch, 21/290)

Heavy on relievers, weak on pitching/bench. Otherwise I think this team is pretty solid.

21. pat says:

Oh man I saw <i. I love you, man last night. Frickin hilarious. I recommend it. Intentionally, mind-numbingly awkward at times but an all around awesome movie.

22. donttradecano says:

in one league i got offered nelson cruz for chipper…. should i do it?

my team:

P Broxton
    P Wilson
    P Devine
    Bench Duchsher
    Bench Kiroda
    Bench Maine

auction keeper, kept wang, hamels, lidge, kemp, bruce, furcal, longoria

23. Steve H says:

From Jayson Stark
    The scout community here in spring training loves Brett Gardner, more than people might think. He brings that team better energy and defense than Melky.
    And given the defensive makeup of that outfield, they’ll need all the center-field defense they can get.

One scout told me the other day he thinks he can hit .280 and steal 30 bases. If he has that season in him, for that team, he’s a perfect fit.

Some people just don’t get it, do they? Damon is above average in left, and Nady/Swish are hovering right around average. What is he looking at/paying attention to? They will be considerably better in the OF this year. He sees Damon and thinks he’s no good defensively because he can’t handle CF anymore, which of course has almost nothing to do with his ability to play LF. What a moron.

• Jamal G. says:

Some people just don’t get it, do they? Damon is above average was the best defender not named Carl Crawford in 2008 in left…

Fixed.

• A.D. says:

Agreed, I really don’t get all the hate Damon and Nady/Swish have gotten, you would have thought they signed Abreu to play RF this offseason after having Swish there last season.

Like the positives on Gardner

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

The more I think about last year’s team, the more I’m amazed that they won 89 games.

They were headed to a worse showing, before a September surge led by some young guys like Gardner, Coke and Aceves.

• A.D. says:

59 starts with guys that have an ERA over 5.40….thats pretty scary

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Pitching-0 wins from Hughes/IPK, Rasner and Ponson getting regular starts, Wang out for the year.

Fielding-Abreu in RF, Giambi at 1B, Jeter at SS, Damon in CF for the first half of the year, Wilson Betemit’s UZR was -50 at 3B, and he was worse at SS.

Hitting-Posada+Matsui out most of the year, Jeter in decline, Cano having the worst year of his life, Molina playing 100 games and Melky was one of the least productive OFs in the game.

I mean, yikes.

• Zack says:

if Gardner hits .280 he’ll get 30SB easily.

24. Switching gears a bit, from MLB drafts to NFL ones, I finally put together my annual three-round mock draft. I put it up as three JPG’s on our Facebook draft site (and FB auto-shrunk the JPG’s, so they’re a tiny bit blurry, but still readable.)

Here’s the links:
    Round 1: http://tinyurl.com/c48yar
    Round 2: http://tinyurl.com/cbn7kl
    Round 3: http://tinyurl.com/ck72ba

Please, criticize and bitch the hell out of it. Please.

Also, anyone on here who will be coming out to the draft with us, get at me on FB and I’ll put you in the group.

• Jamal G. says:

Do you have the Giants drafting a TE in the first round because of what’s appropriately valued at that spot, or because you feel that is what they need?

• Bit of both. I think the Giants would probably prefer to go WR or LB in the first round, but I think with Matthews, English, Harvin and Nicks all off the board but Pettigrew still there, it’s kind of a no-brainer. Whether WR or TE, they need someone big to catch balls over the deep middle and fill the Plaxico void. Pettigrew is a better option than Britt, IMO, who has a bigger downside.

It’s kind of like what happened to the Jets last year: we preferred WR over TE, but Keller was way better than all the WR options.

• Steve H says:

Pats taking a RB? I don’t see it, at least not in the 2nd round. While I still think Maroney has big time ability, I don’t see the Pats using an early pick on a back again any time soon. They can get by with Morris/Taylor/Maroney/Faulk, etc. and the short passing game. Hell, they even had undrafted FA BenJarvus Green-Ellis start a few games for them a year ago.

• tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside says:

Pats have a ton of picks. They can afford to go BPA.

• Steve H says:

Good point, but I don’t know if they have the roster spots at RB. Hope you’re right on Sean Smith. I’m thinking the Pats go Barwin at #34, perfect guy for their team, and Belichick in particular.

• donttradecano says:

Giants arent taking a TE round 1, there going WR or LB in round 1. Theyll reach for laurenitis before they take a TE. And i dont see Munnerlyn going 2nd round…otherwise not bad.

• pat says:

Josh Freeman, really? You’re not a Clemens fan?

• A.D. says:

Clay Matthews drafted before Laurinaitis?

• Good god, Laurinaitis sucks balls. I have him at the top of round two simply because somebody will take him, but he is the biggest Melkian bust of all these losers.

If your idea of a good linebacker is Brad Kassell, then eat your heart out, because that’s his ceiling. All Giants fans should be praying to Christ/Yahweh/Muhammad/Shiva/The Flying Spaghetti Monster that Reese is smart enough to stay the hell away. He’s a bum. I can’t see how people don’t recognize that. He’s slow as dirt and has horrible lateral movement. He’s Anthony Schegel Part Deux.

25. pat says:

Yo Vince from Shamwow destroyed this hookers face, damn

26. Corey (Nord-Podberesky) says:

Well heres my team
    feel free to be harsh in your criticism:

C: Russel Martin
    1B: Miguel Cabrera
    2B: Kinsler
    3B: Chipper
    OF: BJ Upton, Quentin, Dunn
    UTIL: Huff
    Bench: Ankiel, Hawpe, Thome

SP: Lincecum, Grienke, Lackey, Josh Johnson, Ervin Santana, Dempster
    RP: Jenks and Valverde

27. Manimal says:

Here is a trade I sent to Rafi, thoughts?

I send: Damon, Matt Holliday, Kershaw
    I get: Doumit, Morneau, Pence

28. Steve H says:

I offered Holliday/Felix/Aviles for Hanley. Do I have any shot?

• A.D. says:

I could see that several ways if the other manager like Holliday even out of coors, and thinks Aviles was for real last year then you have a shot, but some Han-Ram owners are just going to say no dice to everything.

• Steve H says:

Yeah. I don’t like Holliday out of Coors, but I got him 3rd round, so I thought that was good value. I’d love to pry Han-Ram though. If I get shot down I’ll swap in Hardy for Aviles.

29. steve says:

hoffman
    qualls
    liriano
    billingsly
    bedard
    ted lilly

30. [...] A.D. won the league, beating Jamal G., another regular. So congrats to him. Here’s the team I drafted, and here’s the team I finished the year [...]