Mar

Open Thread: Posada to catch on Sunday

We mentioned this briefly in today’s edition of the RAB Radio Show, but now we have some confirmation: Jorge Posada will making his catching debut this spring on Sunday. Kat O’Brien has the news at the end of this notebook (h/t Chris H.). The Twinkies will be in town for that game, so there’s a chance Jorge will have to test his arm if the likes of Carlos Gomez and Denard Span play and manage to reach base.

Getting Jorge back and healthy is a major step forward for the team in 2009, especially considering that non-Posada catchers hit just .230-.290-.335 for the Yanks last year. He’s obviously been feeling strong at the plate (.353-.421-.647 in seven games this spring), and by all accounts his rehab has gone well (minus a tiny setback), so I’m cautiously optimistic that Posada can catch 100 games this year. Dear Mo I hope he can.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for tonight. The Islanders, Devils and Rangers are all in action, plus Mexico will be taking on Cuba to determine the Pool B winner in the WBC at 9pm. MLB Network will carry the game. Cuba has reached the finals in 38 consecutive international tournaments, so my money’s on them. Anything goes, just be cool.

Photo Credit: Steve Nesius, Reuters Pictures

Categories : Open Thread

1. John says:

excuse me for being uninformed but is 2nd Ave Sagas related to this blog? Is Ben the author there and here?

2. J.R. says:

It would be awesome if Jorge can catch opening day. I don’t like the idea of having both Cash and Monlina on the 25 man.

3. Rich says:

If Posada could catch three times a week in April and four times a week thereafter, as long as he could return to being a .850 to .875 OPS hitter, I’d sign for that now.

4. Mike Pop says:

Ha. The video on noMaas is pretty funny.

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

Can anyone give me some fantasy help?
    I just need to know if this trade is fair.
    I’m giving
    Albert Pujols
    Victor Martinez
    Random so-so reliever (I think we’re going with Matt Capps)

For
    Aubrey Huff
    Joe Mauer
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Note that I need a better catcher and another good closer since I only have Joe Nathan. Plus I have Hanley already so Pujols isn’t the only really amazing guy I have.

6. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

What’s the Yankee 2010 Outfield?

Here’s my guess

RF-Swisher
    CF-Gardner
    LF-Holliday

4th OF-Melky

I’ll guess they let Nady walk, they take the money they save with Damon/Matsui and sign Holliday, and that A-Jax still isn’t quite ready yet and Gardner has a good enough year to stick around.

I also feel pretty confident that most of this will be wrong.

7. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

The more I think about it, Jeter HAS to go to LF. Not just for himself, but so Alex will move out there when Jeter’s done.

Alex isn’t going to stay at 3B for his entire deal, which runs through 2018. Figure Jeter’s done around 2013, Alex will be 38 and ready to make the move to LF to finish his career. Could even happen a year sooner if Derek is a bench player for the last year or so.

8. zack says:

Maybe this was posted elsewhere, maybe not, but man, you just have to love Peter Gammons. On Papelbon’s comments:
    “Jonathan’s very emotional. He’s not Abraham Lincoln. But there’s a lot of hard feelings. It was very telling in Colleen Dominguez’s interview with Manny that he doesn’t talk to anybody on the Red Sox. She said David Ortiz? He said no. … and it’s kind of too bad but Manny became obsessed with the money and there were things that happened like stiffing all the clubhouse kids, and stuff like that that left very bad tastes in his teammates mouths. And also the fact that Manny made it very clear. Winning is not important, my contract is. That’s the way he left. And that’s the way the players felt… I find it really distasteful for anyone to use the word “cancer” in relationship to a human being because it just, it doesn’t fit. Jonathan did not use his words well.”

Amazing what the man will say to make the Red Sox look like angels…

• Steve H says:

I’d like to go back and find what he wrote when steroids were found in Red Sox Manny Alexanders car. Probably nothing, since it was largely ignored, but he is so biased you can’t take him seriously, which is a shame. If he wasn’t such a Sox asskisser he might be useful.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Guess he couldn’t say anything to take the sting out of Pedroia’s 0-5 and Youk’s 0-4 (sandwiched around Jete’s 2-4).

• usty says:

“Fine Peter, Manny was an aneurysm in the brain of the clubhouse. ” – Papelboner

9. Whew! That’s a relief.

Now, the Bills are good until Week 5 when they’re 2-3 and Trent Edwards has thrown to Lee Evans 38% of his attempts and to T.O. only 31% of his attempts.

• Steve H says:

And then the weather starts sucking, and T.O. doesn’t go all out and gets 24% of pass attempts to Evans’ 43%. I can’t wait for this to happen. Of all 32 teams, the Bills are towards the bottom of teams that should have gotten him. Established QB? Nope. Established coach? Nope. And then the weather, which drives down the passing game, it’s going to be great.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Okay, so this is the pipe dream to end all pipe dreams, but bear with me.

The Broncos have already done two tremendously stupid things this off-season (firing Shanahan and letting word get out that they were pursuing Cassel), so could they hit the trifecta by trading Cutler to the Jets for Clemens and a 1 and a 2?

I SAID IT WAS A PIPE DREAM!!!

• Seeing as how the Patriots just traded Cassell AND Vrabel for a 2, there’s no way we’re paying both a 1 and a 2 for Cutler.

I’ll give them a 1 and a 3, at the absolute most.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Really? I think the Jets would make that deal in a heart beat if the Broncos were dumb enough to offer it.

Cassel was undrafted, and started his first game since HS in 2008, and while he has a very good season, he played for a very good team (and didn’t take them to the play-offs).

Cutler was a first round pick, is 25 (a year younger than Cassel) with 3 years as a starter under his belt, and a great arm.

Yes sir, if I’m the Jets, I make that trade. The real question is why would the Broncos do it?

10. Matt says:

Hey, NBA fans, when your team drafts Hasheem Thabeet and he’s a total train-wreck, um, I told you so. Don’t have any expectations for this dude.

11. Manimal says:

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

THREE FUCKING TIMES IN A ROW, I came back and beat my brother in the show in the ninth, this time it was 4-2 with Tex hitting a HR off of K-rod in the top of the ninth. He was NOT happy but boy did I rub it in his face.

12. Reggie C. says:

So does anybody know if Anquan Boldin is available? There was an internet rumor going about today that the Cards decided to shop him around. If the G-men could acquire either Boldin or B. Edwards, which one would best fit our #1 receiver need?

• Manimal says:

Boldin as their Number one and Harrison for their number two. I wish.

• Reggie C. says:

I’ve given some more thought… I’d prefer Braylon Edwards. Gotta love Boldin’s toughness , but the man has taken alot of licks than Edwards has endured. Doesnt hurt that Edwards is the better vertical threat. The asking price for Edwards probably is somewhat lower too.

Again, its all speculation. But if Edwards hits the trade block b/w now and the draft, Reese should be right there. If Reese is skipping out on trades, and decides not to trade up in the 1st …. then he should have his choice of Kenny Britt or Brian Robiskie.

The run on WR in the 1st round is almost definitely going to happen before the G-men make their pick. Nicks, Maclin, Bey, and Harvin are all definitely going to be selected earlier. IF so, selecting Britt wouldn’t be too much a reach.

• Edwards is younger and has more ability, though his salary is a cap-killer.

• Reggie C. says:

Yeah. I’m not up on the NFL salary cap in ’09, but i’ve heard that either Boldin or Edwards would put a strain on future G-men teams. still … Reese built this team to reach the next couple of Super Bowl games. We’re one receiver away.

13. Moshe Mandel says:

Ok, sabermetricians in the RAB army, one of the writers at my blog posed an interesting question and I was wondering if anyone had heard of a stat that does the following, or had ideas about how to calculate something like it- calculates a hitters stats based on the quality of the pitching that he faces? Basically a formula to “translate” a players stats to see which guys are beating up on the bottom feeders and which ones can hit good pitching. It may help build a team that wins in the postseason when talent levels are generally higher. I’m not sure how it would work, but it would basically be some form of weighing each AB differently based on the pitchers stats. Anyone?

• Matt says:

Not sure if it would help a lot, but on player’s splits pages on B-R, there’s a breakdown of how they do vs. power pitchers, finesse pitchers, and neutral pitchers.

• Moshe Mandel says:

It is definitely a start. I’m looking to find a way to engineer a stat that would go by talent rather than by style, but it would be a similar idea. Also, it couldnt be done as splits, bc then you would need to create a cutoff point. i would rather have a formula that can weigh each AB differently and then create something like a triple slash line contextualized for pitchers talent.

• Matt says:

Yeah, the only way you could really do something like that is try and separate all the pitchers into different tiers and collect a ton of batter vs. pitcher data.

14. Drew says:

Yuliesky Gourriel just had a sick homerun to opposite field. I hope he defects!

15. Heh, Jon Stewart just called Bernie Madoff “Arthur Ponzarelli”.

16. Matt says:

This game is going to make me pull my fucking hair out and have a heart attack and a half.