Mar

Open Thread: Yanks’ offense erupts in 12-3 rout

After a few anemic days, the Yanks’ offense erupted for 12 hits and 12 runs this afternoon in Lakeland as the team’s pitchers held the Tigers’ bat in check. The Yanks emerged with a 12-3 victory, just their second in the month of March.

Leading the Yanks’ bats were Angel Berroa, Xavier Nady and Jose Molina. Nady and Berroa homered, and Molina added a pair of RBIs. Berroa also doubled and drove in four runs. However, Cody Ransom — 2 for 2 on the day — is the current heir apparent to the third base job. The Yanks also drew ten walks — three by Nick Swisher and two each by Molina, Melky Cabrera and Hideki Matsui.

On the other side of the ball, the Yanks’ pitching was again stellar. A.J. Burnett made his spring debut and sailed through two innings. He gave up one hit and a whole bunch of zeroes. Phil Hughes relieved Burnett and was spectacular. In three innings of work, he allowed a nary a hit while striking out four and walking two.

Brian Bruney and Andrew Brackman ran into some trouble later in the game, but Mark Melancon nailed down the final three outs on a walk and a strike out to seal the deal for the Yanks. At some point, the Yanks will have to start considering Mark Melancon as a viable bullpen option out of the gate. He’s been nearly untouchable this spring.

The Yanks will face the Blue Jays tomorrow afternoon at 1:15 p.m., and the team’s next televised game is Tuesday evening under the lights.

In WBC action, Cuba downed the Republic of South Africa this afternoon 8-1. As of this writing, Panama, behind Ramiro Mendoza (!), is down 3-0 in an elimination game for the loser. At 8 p.m., the US will take on Venezuela as Roy Oswalt will attempt to pitch the US into the second round. That game is on ESPN. It’s the return of Sunday Night Baseball.

Here’s your open thread for the night. Play nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

now panama down 6-0 in da bottom of the eight inningg

2. Chip says:

You know, if Panama could make a play on the infield, they’d be right in this game. It’s like watching 4 Angel Berroas out there

3. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

chip did u see dat pop up and they drop it dere awful defensively the only play i like was from the third baseman when he rob a double from cano and trew from his knees

4. A.D. says:

Ransom hitting .300 this spring, not bad

5. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

are we on fireeeeeeeeee or whatttttt tonight babiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 9-0 team dominicana.

6. So guys, tell me, what do you think of my fantasy team? (team 1 of 3)

C Russell Martin

RP Kerry Wood
    RP Joey Devine
    Bench Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Bench Kevin Slowey
    Bench Aaron Harang
    Bench Chris Ray

(I always set the draft on autodraft, prerank my players, and pray. I did get my first choice, though, which was Lincecum.)

• Joey says:

Depends, how many people are in your league? My fantasy team looks awesome, but then I realize I’m in league with 6 people total and everybody’s team is amazing… kinda depressed me a little, I thought I stole the show. lol

• It’s a bloggers’ league, I think there are about ten teams. Some do look better than others. Who do you have?

• Joey says:

RP: Fuentes
          RP: Jenks
          P: Lester
          P: King Felix
          P: Kershaw

—————————————

RP obviously my weak suit (I think saves are the main stat for RP) and I took a ton of guys I love, but for example I have no idea if Roy Halladay or Tulo are good fantasy players. I didn’t look at the stats that count before the draft (and still haven’t btw) so I just loaded my team with good players.

I figure if Posada stays healthy I have to of the best catchers, I love my OF, and plus there’s only 6 teams so there are a ton of good FAs out there I could pick up or swap out if anyone gets injured. For example: Robbie Cano, Alexei Ramirez, Ellsbury, Victor Martinez, M. Young, etc… are all still FAs. Tons to choose from, have to stay on top of it I guess.

• Joey says:

*two of the best catchers. Gah that’s bad…

• Joey says:

…and I keep replying to myself because I keep thinking of shit to add…

anyways, like I said, I dunno about fantasy, but I’ll put that team on the field any day :-)

• Man, Mauer is gonna be good…

And Halladay AND Lincecum? They stay healthy and you’re set.

• Joey says:

Hallady, Lincecum, Lester, AND King Felix (and thrown Clayton in there too). Options baby, options. :-D

I was just looking at all the other teams too, and from a purely RAB baseball stand point I should kick ass. Everyone else has at least one guy I have reservations about, not that my reservations mean a damn thing. But I like what I’m seeing.

• A.D. says:

Whats the scoring? How many other managers? And do you think you have enough pitchers?

Also should note Devine has had some arm issues this spring, so Ziegler may win the closers job

• Really solid team. I’d suggest dealing Harang and Dice-K for something better; I don’t have much faith in them. I think you might also want to deal some relievers for a starters or a 2B/OF upgrade.

• I’ve actually heard that my UTIL, Jose Lopez, is really solid among 2B and underrated, so I’m sticking with him; I would, however, like an upgrade over Martin at C.

I don’t know if I can put together a good enough deal for McCann or Iannetta, though.

And while I would like to get rid of Dice K, I am of the belief Harang had an off year and should be better this year.

• Martin > Iannetta. McCann is probably Martin + one of your closers, depending on the other owner’s needs.

• andrew says:

It’s going to be hard to upgrade from Martin, there’s only Mauer and McCann to go to from there.
          Lopez is a good 2B, not to mention he is young and should be improving.

Harang is bound to improve last year, his problems last year were due to a relief stint on 2 days rest that he never recovered from.

If you do trade DiceK, you’d probably improve your team the most by getting some help in the OF. Your OF looks like your weakest point.

• A.D. says:

Should downgrade at catcher, I generally feel that catchers are overrated in fantasy since they play significantly less games. Try and move Martin to upgrade the OF.

7. A.D. says:

For those that haven’t seen it, the Red Sox bucked conventional wisdom & signed Lester to an extension, buying out his first 2 years of FA

8. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

does anyone no y jeters not in the lineup today, if there just givin him a day off.

9. A.D. says:

With A-Rod on the shelf, do we see Jeter in the 3 hole, and Cano up to 2?

Damon
    Cano
    Jeter
    Tex
    Matsui
    Posada
    Swisher/Nady
    Ransom
    Gardbrerra

10. Moshe Mandel says:

Ervin Santana injured, they need some pitching, and Figgins is probably who they would deal (bc they have Wood). What about Aceves and a mid level prospect for Figgins? Aceves gives them a back of rotation guy who can shift to the pen, Figgins gives us a 3B who can shift to the bench.

• Mike Pop says:

I would have no problem doing that but Angels would laugh.

• If that was doable, the Yankees would have done that already. You’re underrating how important Figgins is to the Angels’ system.

• Whozat says:

Kennedy? What if it’s aceves and zmac? Too much?

• Steve H says:

Including IPK or Zmac is way too much. While Figgins would be a nice bench player, we need a starter for 1 month, it’s not worth giving up either of those guys. The Angels would need too much back, as he is more important to them then he would be to the Yankees. I’d much rather attempt the Teahen route.

• mustang says:

They are at least not laughing anymore.

• A.D. says:

The Angles have other starting pitchers in their system that they’d probably start over Aceves, or be just as happy with

• Moshe Mandel says:

Not so sure about that- everyone seems to be overrating Figgins and underrating Aceves a bit. Whatever you think about Al, he was on all of the Top 10 Yankees prospects lists because he is a sure bet to produce solid back end pitching in 08. If the season started today, Shane Loux would be in the Angels rotation, with either Moseley or a not ready Adenhart. Aceves is a better bet. In regard to Figgins he is a sub 700 OPS player who only had a 72 percent sucess rate on SB’s last season, broke down a bit physically, and is no longer playing multiple positions for them. Fact is, he has become expendable to the Angels, and they need pitching.

• A.D. says:

I think everyone is overrating Figgins because thats exactly what the Angels do. The Angels aren’t a sabermetric based team, such as the A’s, they value speed and “making things happen” on the base paths, so Figgins is exactly what they want.

On top of that Aceves had a very great year, but he’s still tops a back of the rotation starter with ~70 innings above AA in his career.

11. Mike Pop says:

A.J. baby!!!! That’s what we will be seeing out of him all year long. That’s my guy!

12. Steve H says:

I have the 5th pick in my draft. Knowing what we now know about A-Rod, too early to pick him? If Hanley/Reyes/Pujols are there I’d definitely take them, but I’ll consider A-Rod. He basically missed a month last year, and I won my league with him. Since he shouldn’t be restricted by the hip once he returns, I think he’ll mash when he gets back, though I’m guessing he won’t be stealing as much. I know he won’t be there at 16 when it comes back around, but is 5 too early?

• andrew says:

5 is too early… I have Grady 6th in my rankings, so I’d just slide him up one spot. Miguel Cabrera is also a decent option, I’m sure there are a few others that would make fine choices there as well.

• Mike Pop says:

I would take Wright if he was there over A-Rod.

• I’d hold off on A-Rod, since we don’t know how he’ll recover from the surgery and if he’ll play the best he can.

Go for Longoria at 3rd if you can.

• A.D. says:

A-Rod a 5 is too early, he was a late 2nd rounder in my draft, which I still thought was a little early, but this was yesterday, when surgery meant out until June/July & it was inevitable he would be picked in the 2nd round because one guy was on auto draft. At 5 figure you’ll have a shot of one of Wright/Reyes/Miguel Cabrera. I’d say given concerns on A-Rod I’d take one of those 3, who also play a premium position.

13. A.D. says:

Fucking J-Roll, just when you get excited at legging out the double he gets picked off.

14. pat says:

Anybody else watching the simpsons out there throw up a little bit watching that pedroia commercial? I hate that f*ck.

15. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

i sure miss abreu playin with us.

16. Is it bad that I’d kind of like to see Oswalt get tattooed?

17. Cor Shep says:

who’s the util guy while ransom plays 3rd?

18. LB says:

Another day, another Knicks loss.

19. Drew says:

Does anyone know when Granderson is up for FA?

20. Drew says:

So when does everyone think these International games should be played? While many people don’t even agree with the tournament in general I think it’s great.
    The best solution that I’ve heard is to shorten ST by a week and then make the All-Star break 2 weeks in which these games would be played.

• I posted my thoughts on my blog the other day.

You couldn’t extend the all star break that long without players getting rusty from all the time off, and you’d still have to extend the season, either in March or October, when playing in Boston, NY, Cleveland, Minnesota (2010), Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Denver can all be miserable.

• A.D. says:

I think doing now is fine, the other option would be after the season, I think before the season gets the most excitement for fans and players, as they’re ready to get back to baseball. Teams & players would probably hate mid season more as many players say how they like the few days off, and teams would want potentially injuries mid season even less.

At least if someone gets banged up in the WBC, they have time to heal before the season. 2 weeks would really squeeze things in. Additionally starting the season a week early would be terrible for teams in the north, where the weather can still be pretty shitty.

• Drew says:

Your points may be true but its hard to take the competition as serious as it should be (considering this is the only true “World Series”,) when half the pitchers are minor leaguers. As for the other half; they can only throw a select number of pitches. I’ve never heard anyone mention my idea on some double headers but I think it could work.

• A.D. says:

I think no matter when you have it players are going to opt out for injury & personal reasons.

• Drew says:

Considering that half the league is out of the playoff race before the break; do you really think a large amount of players wouldn’t support their country? Without even considering the USA, Venezualans, DR’s Cubans and Puerto Ricans are so inherently proud that they will want to play and be considered the best in the world.

• A.D. says:

Depending on the year a lot of teams are still in the race, and the teams that are out every year (i.e. the Royals & Pirates) don’t exactly have the key players for the WBC.

The Yanks & other contenders, where many of the big name players are, wouldn’t be thrilled at their players going to play for 2 weeks elsewhere for 2 weeks mid season.

21. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

wow what a grand slam by jorje vasquez from team mexixo hes the one that we signed he has sum pop

• Wow! What a grand slam by Jorge Vasquez from Team Mexico! He’s the one whom we signed. He has some pop.

Come on dude. Decent English grammar will lend so much more credence to your ideas.

• Steve H says:

You’re right. He could have the solution to the recession, yet no one would take it seriously due to the grammar. Some periods and capital letters aren’t that hard to ask for.

22. Drew says:

See what happens when you put Jeter in!!!

23. A.D. says:

Ianetta breaking it open

24. A.D. says:

Using King Felix against Italy was not smooth

25. A.D. says:

The hot stove back & forth…Yankees not discussing Teahan now:

26. A.D. says:

Ziegler is blowing, pitching himself off my fantasy team with this appearance

27. A.D. says:

Does anyone know, is Dexter Fowler suppose to break camp with the Rockies?

28. Manimal says:

What sport is next to have a WBC-type thing? Basketball? Hockey?

29. Infamous says:

So now Phil Hughes arsenal includes: Fastball,cutter,slow-loopy curve,hard curve,slider, and changeup.

That’s a pretty impressive array of pitches for a 22 year old.