Mar

Pettitte strong as Yanks win again

It was an relatively uneventful day in Dunedin. Andy Pettitte was strong for sixth and two-thirds innings, retiring ten straight at one point. He allowed just five hits and one run on the day, striking out seven against no free passes. He did uncork a wild pitch, but got himself up to 92 pitches. Afterwards Pettitte said he was pretty gassed, but feels good and has no complaints.

Damaso Marte finished the seventh inning, giving up a hit before recording the final out. Marte’s been entering games this spring in the middle of the inning with runners on base almost exclusively, so I guess they’re just getting ready for the situations they plan on using him in during the season. Jose Veras allowed a hit in an inning of work, while Edwar Ramirez threw a flawless ninth.

The Yanks scored a run off David Purcey nice and early, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Derek Jeter led off the first inning with a double, Johnny Damon followed with a walk, and Mark Teixiera singled in the Captain for a quick 1-0 lead. Tex drove in another run in 7th when he doubled down the first base line. Brett Gardner went hitless in three at-bats, but he managed to throw Scott Rolen out at third with an assist from Cody Ransom’s leaping skills. Hideki Matsui and Nick Swisher went a combined 0-for-7, leaving a total of eight runners on base. Godzilla did reach base when Purcey plunked him.

It was just another day in the office, and the win is the Yanks fifteenth in their last seventeen games. Spring Training records actually mean less than Spring Training stats, but it is good to see the team on a nice little roll with the season just a week away. Joba Chamberlain will make his final start of the preseason tomorrow afternoon against the Reds, and is scheduled for at least six innings of work.

1. Tom Zig says:

Good to see that Edwar is doing well. I guess he isn’t starting the season on the DL?

2. Jamal G. says:

Minor Note: Phil Hughes was scheduled to start today, but was pushed back to Wednesday to give him some extra time off and get the Triple-A rotation all lined up. because he will be shipped off with Melky Cabrera, Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, Jose Veras and Juan Miranda in a deal for Toronto’s Roy Halladay and Vernon Wells.

Seriously, not one word of that was a joke; fucking LoHud.

3. andrew says:

I like that they are giving Marte work in that fireman role. I like the idea of having a distinct setup man and closer, and then having a 3rd reliever be your stopper. If saves weren’t a stat, I think Mo would be perfect for that stopper role, while Marte and Bruney would have the 8th and 9th. I doubt anyone will try that, but I’d like to see how much more effective a bullpen is when they use their best relievers in the highest leverage sitautions

4. Drew says:

Why, whenever I google Brett Gardner, does an image of Doug Minciewicz(whatever)in ST clothes appear?

I must say, I’m not a pro-Brett anti-Melky guy, in my heart of hearts I’d rather see Melky start and return to his first 2 MLB season’s form. That said, I see the potential in Brett and what he can mean to an offense. I hope his second showing in MLB is similar to his second showing in every other league that he’s been in. Most importantly, GO YANKEES!

5. Mike Pop says:

Joba go 6? He cAn’t last!!!!!!!’

6. A.D. says:

BG choking once he’s won the starter job.

7. A.D. says:

Looks like these Jeter 1, Damon 2 thing is working out.