Mar

Si Si!

The game wasn’t on television, but CC Sabathia showed the Yankees and their fans what their new ace is capable of tonight. After a 23 pitch first inning in which he allowed just a single, Sabathia surrendered a run in the second on three singles. He then retired sixteen Reds’ hitters in a row, pitching into the eighth inning while throwing 68 of his 93 pitches for strikes, exactly what he was scheduled for. Sabathia struck out seven, walked one and had a 14-3 GB/FB ratio. That … is purdy.

Damaso Marte relieved Sabathia, getting the only batter he faced to fly out. Mariano Rivera worked a flawless ninth, striking out one and inducing a pair of groundballs on the bare minimum of five pitches. The pitching staff was simply awesome tonight. You gotta love it, Spring Training or not.

The offense was led by El Capitan and Mark Teixeira, who each drove in a run. Jeter doubled and went 1-for-4 with a run scored out of the leadoff spot, while Tex went 2-for-3 out of his customary three-hole. Xavier Nady went 1-for-3 and picked up the Yanks’ only other hit, while Jorge Posada drew a walk and scored a run. Brett Gardner and Cody Ransom each swiped a bag, but otherwise went hitless. The 4-1 win was the Yanks twelfth in their last fourteen games.

The Yanks play the Braves in Orlando tomorrow afternoon, but the MLB Network broadcast has been blacked out at YES’ request. It’ll long reliever competition day, as Brett Tomko (starter), Al Aceves and Dan Giese are scheduled to throw three innings each.

1. Manimal says:

I’m surprised girardi let him go past 7.

2. John says:

Man, last year our pitchers were in the 5th inning when they got to 93 pitches. CC pitched nearly 8 innings using only 93 pitches, even after pitching 23 just in the 1st. Bravo!

3. Rich says:

If Jeter can actually go back to be an .840 OPS hitter again, it would be huge.

4. John says:

At this point, would you take CC, Johan, Lester, Kazmir, or Price? Be unbiased.

• Drew says:

Johan or CC. Price has great upside but only like 18 innings pitched.

• John says:

Choose one between the two…

• Drew says:

Eh.. I mean Johan’s numbers are better. I’ve really only seen these guys pitch either when they played the Yankees or when their game was broadcasted on ESPN or FOX.
          Going off numbers, I guess Johan.

• Manimal says:

Johan has arm troubles, price and Lester are too young and Kazmir is coming of a shakey year. CC is the best of that group imo.

• John says:

I have the same reasoning. And I think Johan’s velocity was down a bit last year, not sure though.

• Drew says:

Johan has averaged 231 or so innings the past 5 years, I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt about his arm, did u see him today?

• John says:

7.0 4 1 1 0 6

One less strikeout in .2 less innings.

• Drew says:

18 less pitches. lol I wasn’t comparing their outings today, I was just saying I think Johan will be fine. and over the past five years he’s arguably been better with a higher inning average. Either way, I love CC. You made me choose damnit! lol

• John says:

Yea, I understood. Johan has been better but as of this exact moment, I’m leaning towards CC. Both are awesome and it’s hard to choose but at least we finally have one of the two workhorse-ace lefties!!!

• Ryan S. says:

I bet Johan ages a lot better than CC. Sabathia is a big dude and its hard to project how he’ll old up as he gets into his mid 30s. Even though Johan is a couple years older, he’s also got a much more athletic build. The fact that Johan’s changeup is nasty helps him a lot too, since it’ll help him get by as his velocity continues to diminish.

• Rich says:

How is Lester in that conversation after one good year?

• Ryan S. says:

Can I take Cole Hamels instead?

• John says:

Well, I meant only the AL East lefties plus Johan since he is in NY too.

• Ryan S. says:

I figured since you included Johan you were opening up the entire league. Out of the guys you mentioned I’d say CC probably has the best 2009 campaign, but if we’re talking about for the remainder of their careers, I’d be tempted to say Price.

5. Drew says:

Listening to Sterling and Waldman to day reminded me why television is a necessity.

6. Drew says:

Hey I couldn’t watch Joba yesterday but I saw some highlights. The two HR’s he gave up were 89 and 90 mph. Does anyone who watched know what kinds of pitches they were?

7. [...] Si Si! The pitching staff was simply awesome tonight. You gotta love it, Spring Training or not. … in Orlando tomorrow afternoon, but the MLB Network [...]

8. Tom Zig says:

“Next time I have to throw more pitches.” Rivera said.

Funny guy.

9. MJ says:

Great things are happening this spring, showing what is possible during the course of the season and leading to great accomplishments.

First off, we have played 30 spring training games. Allowing a total of 81 runs. That is a 2.7 team ERA p/game.

More stats:
    For 22 out of the 30 games played so far, the Yankees have held opponents to an ERA of 3 or less. That is what we are banking on over the course of the season. We have the starting pitching of a World Series contender and the relief pitching to go with it.

Better yet, only 4 out of the 30 games played did the Yankees give up 5+ runs allowed. This is the start of a new era in a new Yankee stadium.

Cheers to a glorious 2009.