Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Let’s Play Two

Burnett in the bullpenWe’ve got our first split-squad action of the spring today [insert "you usually have to pay double for that kind of action, Cotton" joke here], and each game will feature a former Yankee great. AJ Burnett will take on the Astros at home, who will have Aaron bleeping Boone playing first and batting fifth. Phil Hughes and Co. are making the hour long drive down to Bradenton to face on the Pirates, who are sending old pal Ross Ohlendorf to the hill. This will be Burnett’s second start and Hughes’ four appearance (third start) of the spring.

Short on bodies because of the double-dip, the Yanks brought Eric Duncan, Walt Ibarra and Edwar Gonzalez over from minor league camp and will have them suit up for Team Burnett. Here’s the starting … err … eighteen:

Home vs. Astros
Gardner, CF
Damon, LF
Nady, RF
Matsui, DH
Ransom, 3B
Molina, C
Miranda, 1B
Berroa, SS
Leone, 2B

Scheduled Pitchers: AJ Burnett, Dan Giese, Brian Bruney, Edwar Ramirez, Chris Garcia

Away at Pirates
Melky, CF
Swisher, RF
Teixeira, 1B
Posada, DH
Austin Jackson, LF
Cash, C
Bernier, 2B
Russo, 3B
Pena, SS

Scheduled Pitchers: Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Jason Johnson, Jon Albaladejo, Mark Melancon

Both Edwar and Jason Johnson will be making their spring debuts after battling a sore shoulder and retinal cancer, respectively. The game against Houston will be on YES at 1:15, but I think I’d rather be watch the squad out in Bradenton. Hey, it’s better than nothing.

Photo Credit: Gene J. Puskar, AP

1. Brooklyn Ed says:

chances of Eric Duncan outperforming Ransom and become the starting 3B? I would say 5%.

2. The Evil Empire says:

I <3 AJ

3. Alex KGB says:

who has been better this spring thus far? nady or swisher?

4. Mike A. says:

Hughes gave up solo homers to Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Doumit in the first. Struck out McLouth and Adam LaRoche.

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Does anyone know where I can find Gameday boxscore. I looked everywhere on the MLB site and I cant find it.

6. Manimal says:

AJ is looking real good with Molina behind the plate.

7. Matt says:

I wish the away game was on TV–I’d much rather watch Swisher, Tex, Hughes, and A-Jax.

8. Jamal G. says:

For fuck’s sake, A.J., if you’re going to throw the Curveball for strikes then there’s no point in watching you pitch.

9. Matt says:

Charlie Gibson’s love for New York sports? Isn’t he a big time Orioles fan?

10. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I’m listening to the Yankees/Pirates game on the radio. I hate work.

11. Jamal G. says:

Boy, that Hunter Pence still hasn’t learned the meaning of “patience”, has he?

12. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Listening to the Pirate announcers trying to pronounce Albaladjo’s name….Priceless.

13. whozat says:

Ooohhh…that SUCKS. Man, that poor kid. Oh, that could be a couple months for him.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

What happened?

• whozat says:

The Houston pitcher took a hot shot off his pitching hand.

Kid looking to leave a good impression on a team with a LOT of potential for big-league openings, he’s holding the Yanks to one run over four innings…and now he could easily miss several months if something’s broken in there. You just feel bad for him.

14. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Ajax single and stolen base.

15. zack says:

For those who listened to Hughes, I see he walked three, was he all over the place, or just missing? His control still seems off this spring, no? (I KNOW its still spring)

• whozat says:

Well, he’s working on the cutter, which was a new pitch for him last year, and the changeup. Also, he’s working on being aggressive inside. So, I figure it’s kind of expected. Knowing that he’s not going to be in the bigs to start kind of frees him up to work on the stuff that’s going to make him a more complete pitcher. I mean, he spots his fastball, and now he’s got that power curve, the big looping curve to use as a change of speeds…the cutter’s looking promising, and if he’s got a decent change too…that’s a damn good pitcher.

• zack says:

Right, but my question was more if he is in fact spotting his fastball. I know that his HBPs have all been on inside pitches that just brushed him.

But in order for Phil to be successful and what made him so successful, was spotting his FB well…

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

He seemed to be just missing his spots. It’s pretty windy in Bradenton also.

16. whozat says:

Way to work around that 2-base error, Danny!

17. LostOurHeads says:

Gardner appears to be definitively winning the CF position.

18. Tripp says:

Question. If/When Gardner wins the CF job does that mean Melky is getting the big ugly ax? Or do they keep him on as another outfielder? Seems as though either Nady or Swisher will be the reserve outfielder when one of them is starting. And Damon would be the backup center fielder.

• Matt says:

The fact that Melky’s out of options really muddles this, but with the OF depth already at the ML level, I think it’ll be alright. Nady or Swisher will start in right, and who ever doesn’t will be the back up, Gardner will start in center, and Damon in left. After that, there really isn’t a need to have 2 back up OFs, especially since Matsui could play in an incredible emergency. I think I’d rather have an extra pitcher in the ‘pen than carry an extra OF.

And, wow, Towles rocked that shit.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Just to be a devil’s advocate, but Melky is the only outfielder who can play capably play all 3 outfield positions.

• A.D. says:

I think they hold onto Melk, and try include him in some type of trade

• whozat says:

Yeah, but Damon, Gardner and Swisher would ALL have to get hurt in order for NO ONE to be able to cover CF for a little bit.

LF – Damon, Swish, Nady, Gardner, Matsui
          CF – Gardner, Damon, Swisher
          RF – Swisher, Nady

The only thing, to me, is the probability of losing Melky on waivers. I’d feel better about having him in AAA as insurance, but…maybe not enough to keep him over a good reliever. They’ll trade him, probably, but not get much for him.

• Matt says:

Melky’s only played 18 games in right. Granted, he’s done it well, but he’s primarily a CF. His career UZR/150 mark there, though, is -9.8. Compare that to Swisher who’s a -10.4 in center, so it’s just a small difference. Swisher can definitely play all three OF positions, and has a better bat than Melky.

19. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Nate MCcoulth doubles over Nick Swisher’s head to score a run.

20. whozat says:

Oh, Coney…that’s just not true. Angel Berroa has NEVER shown that he’s got a good glove.

21. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Home run for Ajax. Deeeep center.

22. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Former Boston great Craig Hansen in the game.

23. UWS says:

Yankees defense = FAIL.

24. Mike Pop says:

Bob Lorenz needs to do some broadcasts.

• Mike Pop says:

Lol. He has made a couple mess ups in the past 5 minutes or so. Pretty funny.

• whozat says:

I know that someone put together a petition last year to try and get YES to put Lorenz in in place of Kay, but that’ll never happen.

Still, I’d like to send SOMEONE email to let them know I think he does a great job. Even if it doesn’t get them to dump Kay, I’d like to let them know that Lorenz has fans. I figure fan mail can’t hurt the guy next time he’s negotiating for a new contract.

25. Mike Pop says:

I can’t wait to watch CC and A.J. pitch this year, ugh. 22 Days!!

26. LostOurHeads says:

Does anyone know when they’re mailing season tickets this year? I thought they were usually here by now.

27. LostOurHeads says:

Brian Bruney does not like the pitcher he was two years ago.

28. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Jesus Montero. Grand Slam. The radio went to a commercial and I didn’t hear it. Crazy.

29. McCaff says:

salivating

30. John says:

i see russo finally got a hit.

31. John says:

what would happen in Yankeeland if it was found that Montero is lying about his age?

32. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

How about them Noles?

33. [...] wasn’t invited to Spring Training, but Eric Duncan was summoned for today’s split-squad game as a bench player. Mike profiled Duncan earlier this month, just ahead of the A-Rod injury. No one [...]

34. Rich says:

Trading Tabata when his value was an absolute low point is looking worse and worse.

35. whitey says:

1st RAB comment, pumped to be on here! Go Grit Gardner!