Mar

Yanks content with Alex being Alex

It’s been said before, and it will be said many times in the future: Alex Rodriguez is a polarizing figure. Some look at his production and let the conversation end there. Others look to his numerous (to be generous) quirks and his recent history of poor Octobers, and decide they don’t like him. Whether the fans like him or not, he’s under contract with the team for the next nine seasons, so it’s advisable to get used to his antics. The Yanks already have.

That’s the subject of Buster Olney’s column for today, and it’s quite amusing:

The rest of the world might ask: Why has A-Rod befriended Madonna? Inside the Yankees’ family, the response is That’s Alex.

The rest of the world might ask: Why would A-Rod host a press conference about his past steroid use and create more questions than he answers? Inside the Yankees’ family, the response is That’s Alex.

And today, the rest of the world might ask: Why would A-Rod pose for a picture in which he appears to be kissing himself in a mirror? Inside the Yankees’ family, the response is That’s Alex.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be sure to make fun of him for it,” one teammate told Kat O’Brien.

Fans, of course, will do what they please. Many feel a sense of entitlement, in that they spend so much time and money on the team that they have the right to boo whomever they please. I won’t argue with that, though I don’t agree with it. I root for the laundry, and even though I’ve disliked Yankee players in the past I’ve refrained from booing. Why would I boo someone I want to succeed?

Still, this seems like the best mindset at this point. Let Alex be Alex. As long as he produces on the field, nothing else matters in my mind.

Categories : Players

1. Ben K. says:

I really just want to talk about why anyone would pose like this, but I’m trying to maintain my non-baseball-related A-Rod-free zone for now.

• Marsha says:

I don’t think Alex is kissing himself in the mirror. Look closely–his lips are not puckered. And yikes–check out those arms.

• radnom says:

……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
      …………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
      ……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
      …………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
      ……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`\

• jsbrendog says:

awesome. the facepalm should og hand in hand with “alex being alex”

i think id rather have manny being manny

• whozat says:

I mean…if my team had another above-average 3B and no DH, yeah I’d rather have Manny — on a one-year deal.

• Jamal G. says:

It’s a gay men’s magazine.

• Drew says:

Cmon Ben, its for the chicks man!

2. steve (different one) says:

i don’t get 2 of these. why would Alex befriend Madonna? why not? WTF do we know? maybe Madonna is cool as shit and has the best weed and buys all her friends unicorns. who knows and who cares?

why did he have the press conference? huh? i don’t see how he had a choice. Olney is implying that if he didn’t hold a press conference and give the press their pound of flesh, that the media would have dropped the issue and NOT hounded him the entired season. and as far as him creating more questions, that is mostly only because the media will NEVER be satisfied with any explanation from A-Rod. Pettitte says he only used twice? ok. Brian Roberts says he only used once? good enough. A-Rod details his usage for 3 years, where he got the drugs, who injected him, what it was, etc. and HE IS CREATING MORE QUESTIONS!!!!!

don’t get me wrong, i get it. i get that the guy is kindof a douche, and that he is a terrible speaker. i also don’t think he is very bright despite his best efforts to come across otherwise.

but some of these criticisms don’t make sense.

• Mike A. says:

• A.D. says:

Yeah he’s probably something with “deep” meaning aka his biggest enemy is himself, and thus hes facing his enemy.

• He’s staring at himself in a mirror. Maybe he’s supposed to be confronting himself of some shit.

It doesn’t look like self-aware inner catharsis and confrontation, it looks like narcissism.

Either he’s not a good enough model to pull it off, or the photog isn’t a good enough photog to convey the desired emotion, or both. Either way, he looks like Narcissus.

• jsbrendog says:

this made my day

• Chris C. says:

“i don’t get 2 of these. why would Alex befriend Madonna? why not? WTF do we know?”

We know she’s a 50 year old wierdo who occasionally enjoys speaking with a fake accent.

“maybe Madonna is cool as shit and has the best weed and buys all her friends unicorns”

I think she’s more likely to straddle unicorns, then hand them out at Christmas.

“A-Rod details his usage for 3 years, where he got the drugs, who injected him, what it was, etc. and HE IS CREATING MORE QUESTIONS!!!!!”

When people don’t believe your answers, then it’s bound to create more questions. If you make truthful statements that can be confirmed, people will leave you alone. But if you start dragging GNC and stalking reporters into the equation, you’re asking for trouble.

“as for the pictures? yeah, i’ve got nothing. his PR team obviously had something in mind for that, but i can’t figure out what it was.”

And there’s the problem!! Nobody can figure out what the fuck this guy is up to from day to day. If he keeps this up, people will eventually leave him alone, because he’ll just be too damn wierd to care about anymore.
      This is why you don’t see Michael Jackson articles anymore. He wierded himself into irrelevency.

• steve (different one) says:

maybe that’s the strategy.

• Chris says:

The problem is that people decide not to believe him, and then look for holes in his story. How do you know Andy was truthful? There is nothing inherently more truthful in Andy’s statements than in A-Rod’s.

• Chris C. says:

“The problem is that people decide not to believe him….”

People decided this because his answers sounded retarded. People have this nutty habit of not liking their intelligence to be insulted.

“How do you know Andy was truthful? There is nothing inherently more truthful in Andy’s statements than in A-Rod’s.”

I don’t know if Pettitte was truthful. But at least Pettitte doesn’t throw people under the bus in an effort to exonerate himself. Pettitte didn’t accuse GNC of selling illegal drugs, accuse his cousin of shooting him up, and accuse a reporter of breaking into his home.
          This is all wacky, zany, bullshit.

• steve (different one) says:

Alex never tried to “exonerate himself” at all. he flat out admitted taking steroids.

he never “accused GNC of selling illegal drugs”. not sure where you got that from.

and he never “accused” his cousin of shooting him up. he said that his cousin, AT HIS INSTRUCTION, was the one who injected him.

• Pettitte didn’t accuse GNC of selling illegal drugs, accuse his cousin of shooting him up, and accuse a reporter of breaking into his home. claimed he used HGH twice and twice only, on separate occassions, to help him return from injury because it made him recover more quickly and gave him some extra energy, and then he never used it again even though he believed it had positive effects on him.

This is all wacky, zany, bullshit.

I’m not saying A-Rod was believable and Pettitte wasn’t, I’m just saying… Whether Pettitte’s story is easier to believe than A-Rod’s is certainly up for debate.

• steve (different one) says:

especially when Pettitte’s original story was that he never took anything, then his story was that he only took it once, then it was that he only took it twice. at that point, the media decided to drop it.

i don’t really care all that much, i still like Andy Pettitte, but he did lie twice.

• jsbrendog says:

THANK YOU!! why does noe one else bring thsi up? did everyon forget? seriosuly,the dude lied, then lied again. and put the blame on his dear old dad.

and everyone’s like oh andy, shucks, its cool. OH AROD ME SMASH HATEHATEHATE LIAR!

• Chris says:

When did he accuse GNC of selling illegal drugs? Are you referring to ephedrine, which they did sell and is now illegal? So that was true.

As for his cousin, that was true. (Pettitte blamed his father, so I’m not sure how that would be any different)

As for the reporter, I believe that she was escorted away by police, but not given a citation. So his error was only about whether she received a citation from the cops.

You provide a perfect example of someone who has made up their mind about A-Rod, and ignore the facts.

• Chris C. says:

“As for the reporter, I believe that she was escorted away by police, but not given a citation.”

That’s incorrect.

So his error was only about whether she received a citation from the cops.

Incorrect again. She never came close to getting a citation. The only reason her name was cited was because she was asking seurity for directions, and all inquires to gated communities must be reported.

Is there also a police report of her trying to break into her house, like he said there was?
              Christ almighty!!! This guy lies, and you swear to it!

• Chris says:

Even if you’re correct, you’re still only 1 for 3. Andy lied more than A-Rod.

• Chris C. says:

I’m not crazy about Pettitte either, but c’mon. I’m not even getting into this nonsense.
                  Pettitte is not constantly embroiled in controversies.

• jsbrendog says:

i beg to differ, he went away into seclusion and never comes out. and when he does its a spectacle. i believe that this analogy = fail

• Chris C. says:

Okay…….so if you saw a Michael Jackson article tomorow that was about him doing something strange, whould you even flinch? Probably not.
          He does not have shock value anymore.

• Elle says:

and buys all her friends unicorns. who knows and who cares?

That’s awesome.

• Drew says:

I’m with you Steve, who questions why we are friends with certain people. Maybe they had mutual friends and they met, maybe their both Uber Celebs and have a lot in common, either way, why is Buster Olney friends with Joe Schmoe? HE JUST IS.

3. A.D. says:

Some people just never come across right, A-Rod just seems to be one of those players

• Chris C. says:

Maybe he does come across right.

Maybe he’s a strange guy who comes across strangely.

• steve (different one) says:

yes and no.

for example, it couldn’t POSSIBLY have been his idea to take pictures like that. it was the photographer’s “vision” or whatever.

BUT….he’s not really smart enough to think about how those photos are going to come across.

AND…he pays a lot of people to advise him on these things.

and someone in his camp thought this was a good idea.

i think he thinks of himself like Tom Brady, but he falls short there b/c Brady can get away with dressing like that BECAUSE HE IMPREGNATED GISELLE.

• Chris says:

I thought he married Giselle and impregnated Bridget.

• Chris C. says:

“AND…he pays a lot of people to advise him on these things.”

Yeah, that’s a whole ‘nother story. Who are these people that are supposed to be saving his reputation? This has gotten too big even for them!

“i’m not making excuses for him, b/c he hired these people with some sort of global marketing goal in mind, but whatever that goal is, i can’t seem to figure it out.”

Well, you do make some good points, but you are kind of making excuses for him. You’re basically saying he’s too stupid to know any better, and I don’t buy it.
          I do think the guy is a jerk. That’s basically the reason he and Jeter aren’t buddies anymore.

• usty says:

• Who cares? That’s the whole point. Since when do baseball players have to be this all-encompassing amazing wonderperson?

Ty Cobb stabbed a guy.

• Chris C. says:

“I don’t care if he’s a jerk. I don’t care if he’s smart. I don’t care if him and Jeter go skipping down River Ave. holding hands after games.”

If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t be in this thread, so stop it already.

“He hits baseballs very far about 35-50 times a year and this helps the team I like win games. He does this better than most people in his profession. This is why I cheer for him and why I like him.”

• usty says:

1. You’re incorrect. The only reason I “care” is because people seem to have this insane standard about him. I guess I also like to defend him since so many people spout the same tired old bullshit day after day about our old friend Nails. I honestly could not give a crap about who he’s banging, or if him and Jeets send LOL OMFG text messages to each other anymore. It’s ridiculous.

2. I defend his bizarre behavior because it has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON WHAT HE DOES ON THE FIELD. He runs every ball out hard, he dives, he plays the game of baseball the correct way. The thing that everyone always seems to forget when ripping him.

If he did it for the Red Sox, I’d be saying, God damn, I wish we had a player as good as A-Rod on our team. The same way I used hate every tight game and be like “sonofabitch Manny and Ortiz are up.” I could care less about Manny being Manny and wouldn’t as a Red Sox fan until he started negatively affecting the team by sitting out big games.

So until A-Rod’s banging Madonna and Jeter’s little bitch diva “He said I wasn’t good! We’re not bff’s” feud actually negatively affect him on the field, I won’t care.

• Chris C. says:

“2. I defend his bizarre behavior because it has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON WHAT HE DOES ON THE FIELD.”

Why would you defend bizarre behavior under any condition?

So there we have it…….another “I like AROD, therefore I hate Jeter” clown on board.
                  Nice job, jackass.

• usty says:

Wow you’re amazing. Resorting to name calling and making 0 good points in response to mine. I never said I hate Jeter. Just pointing out, in a crass way, how blown out of proportion that was.

I defend the “bizarre behavior” because it has 0 effect on my life. Alex Rodriguez can only influence my life in that he can perform on the baseball field for a team I like. I don’t get why everyone else is so tied up in him taking pictures or being friends with everyone or anything like that. If Jeter and him weren’t friends, how does that effect you?

Please explain this to me. How does ANYTHING Alex Rodriguez do off of a baseball field effect your life? And if the answer is “it doesn’t”, then why do you even care enough to criticize?

• jsbrendog says:

whoa, according to chris c this was all a dig at jeter

• Meh… Just let it go, Chris C. has put his thoughts out there and clearly there’s not going to be a meeting of the minds here.

• “And there you have it. You defend his bizzare behavior because he hits baseballs very far for your team. Hey, at least you admitted it.
                So basically, if he was doing all this for the Red Sox, you’re opinion of his behavior would be totally different, wouldn’t it?”

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t care about his behavior not because he’s on the team I root for, but just because I don’t give a shit. I didn’t care when Tom Brady posed for pictures with a goat, and I don’t care when A-Rod poses for a weird picture in front of a mirror.

• jsbrendog says:

but i bet that goat was like ZOMFG!!TOMM FFFFFFING BRADY! and then made whatever noise it is phonetically that goats make

• Yankeegirl49 says:

Usty..well said! I agree with all of it. The only thing Arod does that affects my life happens on the field. I could care less if he was screwing Jeter on the field before BP every game..as long as it didnt affect anything that happens during a game. Why people care I will never understand…

4. Joe R says:

Im sure the photographer/director of the shoot had something they wanted to achieve by taking those shots. Obviously he’s not kissing himself. If that was pretty much any other ball player we wouldntve heard about those at all. Also I agree with what you said Steve. Its funny how many people have it out for this guy. I’d almost feel sorry for him if he wasnt getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game.

• Chris C. says:

“Its funny how many people have it out for this guy.”

C’MON! Who the hell would pose for pictures like that?? What, he’s not rich enough? He had to know people would make fun of it. I am becoming completely convinced that this guy just wants to be in the news, PERIOD, and whether it’s good or bad news doesn’t really matter to him.

• jsbrendog says:

if he were jack black we would be like, oh that jack black, he is so funny, that picture was great

He’s not Jack Black.

• jsbrendog says:

and you’re nto remembering your assumptions of standing by your words. the comment he is not jack black is in complete conflict with:

C’MON! Who the hell would pose for pictures like that??

i just told you. so it doesnt matter if he “is not jakc black” it matters that he would psoe for pictures like that so youre point of:

C’MON! Who the hell would pose for pictures like that??

is unfounded and opinion. you believe he made those psoes because no one else owuld and he wanted the attention that would come from them. which could be psosible, but is abse don the false sasumption that NO ONE would pose like that.

Okay okay.

So after the guy gets bagged testing positive for steroids, then has hip surgery, there is nothing out of the ordinary about him posing in a magazine kissing his relection.

He hasn’t appeared in newspapers and magazines enough lately. He really needed the attention.

I’m sorry, but this guy has issues. And I really don’t give a shit who agrees or disagrees with that.

And I’m sure all of this nonsense is more than a little embarassing for the NY Yankees as well.

• “C’MON! Who the hell would pose for pictures like that??”

Tom Brady: http://tinyurl.com/34tzsr

Jose Reyes: http://tinyurl.com/djzbn6

Jim Palmer: http://tinyurl.com/cqa46w

• Joe R says:

Alot of people have and would pose for pictures like that. You act like this is the first of the kind. What does being rich have to do with anything? He probably didnt get paid to pose because they went along with his article. Even if he did so what. You assume he did it for the money? So the guy is supposed to live his life in fear of people making fun of him, in which they’ll do reguardless of what he does. If goes directly to his hotel room after a game and never comes out till the next game people would get on him for that too so it really doesnt matter.

• “C’MON! Who the hell would pose for pictures like that??”

Jim Palmer

You can also run a google image search for Jose Reyes and David Wright in GQ and for Tom Brady posing while holding a goat.

Also, Bobby Grich, Brian Downing and Steve Yeager were in Playgirl.

It’s not like A-rod’s the first or only guy to do a photoshoot that people found a little strange.

• Chris C. says:

“If that was pretty much any other ball player we wouldntve heard about those at all.”

Yeah, imagine Don Mattingly posing for pictures like that? Would never happen. The furthest Mattingly ever went was his “hitman” poster.

5. Reggie C. says:

That picture obviously got taken after he did a couple sets of pushups. His arms can’t be that jacked all the time.

Those mattress pics make alittle less sense though.

6. Yankeegirl49 says:

The last line of the post says it all..as long as he produces I really dont give a damn about anything he does off the field.

7. Rich says:

Alex needs to stop listening to the overpaid fools who are giving him advice, and to just start being real, whatever that means for him.

8. Elle says:

And some people look at his personal Issues and think, “Wow, he may be rich, but he’s clearly got some mental problems going on, which being in front of the press all the time exacerbate, and maybe people should give him a break.” I always wonder how the people who don’t like him for that would fare if they had to defend every step they took to the media.

The October thing, well, he wasn’t the only person on the team.

That said, I don’t know what he was thinking with the Details photo shoot. You’d think that with all the publicity professionals he employs ONE of them could tell him that wasn’t a good theme for his image. He should fire all of them.

9. Tom Zig says:

“Alex being Alex”… come on but the media can’t come up with something better than just replacing Manny’s name with Alex’s? At least Manny was funny about it, I still get a kick out of the Manny for Favre straight up sign.

Those pictures of Alex though are just ridiculous. I’m sure other athletes have taken similar pictures, but since they aren’t the one and only Alex Rodriguez, we won’t ever see them. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Giambi took similar type pictures.

• steve (different one) says:

google Jose Reyes GQ. view the slideshow.

• Elle says:

Aaaaaand I just got a horrible mental image of Giambi posed a la George Costanza. Thanks for that.

• Chris C. says:

“At least Manny was funny about it, I still get a kick out of the Manny for Favre straight up sign.”

Yeah, Manny is a real funny guy. Quitting on your team, and pushing a 68 year old employee to the ground because he can’t get you 25 comped tickets in the same section is a real hoot. That Manny’s just a big teddy bear.

• Chris says:

Aren’t the Red Sox at least somewhat culpable in Manny’s supposed quitting? They clearly fanned the flames, and exacerbated the situation.

• Matt says:

No. The Red Sox are never at fault. Any move they make is obviously the right one. They never do any wrong. Ever.

• Chris C. says:

“Aren’t the Red Sox at least somewhat culpable in Manny’s supposed quitting?”

Yeah, they are. They weren’t paying him enough, the manager didn’t kiss his fanny in the right places, the GM was constantly barging into the locker room and replacing his Snickers bars with carrot sticks, his teammates were always shoving banana peels in his locker and sticking signs on his back, and the fans never overlooked his shennanigans, and constantly booed his ass right out of Fenway.

What an aweful working environment. No wonder he quit.

• Chris C. says:

“Aren’t the Red Sox at least somewhat culpable in Manny’s supposed quitting?”

Listen…….I do not like the Red Sox, but I’d love to hear how they fanned these flames.

Is it because they got angry when he stepped out of line? How dare they!

• jsbrendog says:

dude, what? no its because for the entire tenure of manny in boston they let ihm do whatever the fuck he wanted and were just like, oh manny is being manny and they not only allowed it but did NOTHING to prevent it and everyt time he got away with something he was like shit i can get away with more. and he pushed andpushed for that extra inch everytime and then was like, fuck thisi can do anything iwant cause they aint gonna do shit cause manny can be amnny whenever the hell he damn well pleases.

so yes it is entirely their fault for being enablers from the beginning

• Chris C. says:

“dude, what? no its because for the entire tenure of manny in boston they let ihm do whatever the fuck he wanted and were just like, oh manny is being manny and they not only allowed it but did NOTHING to prevent it and everyt time he got away with something he was like shit i can get away with more.”

The Red Sox treated Manny real well, so they’re to blame? If they treated him like shit, he’d have quit on them 5 years ago! Then they’d have been on the hook for about 100 mill!

• Chris C. says:

“so yes it is entirely their fault for being enablers from the beginning”

Really dude, that is some dumb shit you just typed.

• jsbrendog says:

dude, youve been obnoxious this whole thread, and this is the second time you are resorting to name calling. youve got issues? god for you. your opinion is your opinion even tho i think it is wrong. and ther are just as many people hwo agree with mine as do yours. so slow your roll.

and yes, it is the red sox organizations fault because they allowed him to be a renegade because of his statistics. they enabled him by allowing him to do whatever he wanted with no reprimand not even a come on manny, but just a shrug and a well that’s manny! huh huh lol. and that right there is the problem. he was coddled and knew there would be no consequences. you CANNOT say well then he wouldve quit on them 5 years ago because you do not know that. You have no iea what would have happend if the first time he was being a prickish douche like manny can be they reprimanded him or treated ihm like any other member of that team. so your hindsight is wrong and has no basis in fact. it was a progression of him getting an inch and taking a mile. it snowballe dbecause no one stopepd it and then he was like ef you boston.

you got a problem? try some analysis instead of being a child.

• Chris C. says:

“and yes, it is the red sox organizations fault because they allowed him to be a renegade because of his statistics. they enabled him by allowing him to do whatever he wanted with no reprimand not even a come on manny, but just a shrug and a well that’s manny! huh huh lol. and that right there is the problem.”

Wow, you must work for the Red Sox to know all this stuff. Because it seems to me he was indeed benched on occasion by Terry Francona. Isn’t that a reprimand? What are they supposed to do, fine him 100 bucks?

“you CANNOT say well then he wouldve quit on them 5 years ago because you do not know that.”

Yet you seem to know exactly how he was handled internally by the organization. Amazing.

“You have no iea what would have happend if the first time he was being a prickish douche like manny can be they reprimanded him or treated ihm like any other member of that team.”

Based on percentages, I’m guessing it wouldn’t have worked very well for the Red Sox. It’s not very common for prima donnas like Ramirez to suddently fall into line after a good tongue lashing. Rebellion is usually the next step. The gy makes 20 mill a year! Do you really tink he feels the need to listen to anyone?

“so your hindsight is wrong and has no basis in fact.”

Nor do your theories on the internal organizational treatment of Manny Ramirez.

“it snowballe dbecause no one stopepd it and then he was like ef you boston.”

Dude, he’s not 5 years old. Your theory that because Boston treated him like a king, he hated them……..and they should have ruled him with an iron fist, so then he’s love them……..is complete garbage.

The truth is, the minute you pay a guy like Manny Ramirez that kind of money, he is gonna walk all over you regardless of what you do.

• Joe R says:

Bo is that you?

10. Peter Lacock says:

I think Madonna is great. I’d definitely hang with her.
    Joe is right. Never, ever boo your own and I would add, mind your own business. I have zero interest in what anyone does with their own time. That’s the way I was raised many moons ago. The only time the media should report personal info about athletes is if they’re dead or in jail and will miss the game. Infortunately, todays media believes in rumors, spin doctor tabloid gossip and sensationalism. This is why I stopped reading almost all newspapers and magazines. Editors and reporters are supposed to report not make crap up.

11. Phrancis says:

A-Rod look like Bufallo Bill in “Silence of the Lamb”.

12. E-ROC says:

The New Post’s front page was hilarious. A-Rod obviously made front page news on this media outlet. His article took up 75% of the front page while Obama’s fight against AIG is an afterthought. Yes, our priorities are in order.

By the way, I thought A-Rod’s photos were cool. If A-Rod kissed the mirror, I think the pic would’ve been better.

13. This is exactly how I feel about Alex. I no longer am surprised or angry at new A-Rod things, I just want him to show up and do his job well. I really don’t care at what else he does away from the baseball field.

14. [...] today Buster Olney wrote about how the Yankees don’t really care about all of Alex Rodriguez’s shenanigans, and John Brattain of The Hardball Times followed [...]

15. MJ says:

I’m confused. He gets paid a load of cash from a magazine to take photographs of him. He poses and gets paid.

Why wouldn’t any of us pose like a photographer wants you to? A millionaire or not….you always want to add more to your bank account.

Its funny that people on here and ESPN actually make a story out of this and think OH MY GOD WHAT IS HE DOING?!?!? FULL OF HIMSELF OH MY GOSHIESSS

16. billyjean says:

…gosh A-Fool, Madonnas advise is doing wonders for your career, forget about your love life cos your her bitch forever. Should ask her for a down payment for your sperm.

17. [...] himself and not the team, so who really cares if he’s kind of a weird dude? Certainly not the Yanks. The bottom line that he’s the best player on the team (and has been since he got here) and [...]