Apr

Brackman not so sharp in Charleston loss

Update by Mike (11:45pm): Manny Banuelos was placed on the DL today with one of those pesky upper body injuries.

Yeah, I’m filling in for Mike tonight. I have to say, compiling DotF is fun, but I give Mr. Axisa credit; I could not do this every night.

Triple-A Scranton (12-6 win over Norfolk)
Leo Nunez: 1 for 4, 1 K, 1 BB
J-Rod: 0 for 5, 3K — sad for J-Rod, who had been 10 for his last 23 before this game
Todd Linden: 1 for 5, 1 2B, 2K
Shelley Duncan: 2 for 5, 1K, 2 HR — second one came as part of Scranton’s 5-run 7th
Juan Miranda: 1 for 3, 2 BB, 1 K
Ajax: 2 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB — 6 SB, 0 CS this season
E-Dunc: 1 for 4, 1 K — BA is still above .300
Chris Malec: 2 for 3, 2 RBI
P.J. Pilittere: 3 for 4, 1 HR — not only is the best game I’ve ever seen for P.J. in DotF, but probably the first homer I can remember him hitting
Kei Igawa: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K — Good ol’ Kei…ERA sits at 6.75
Jose Valdez: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Anthony Claggett: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Brett Tomko: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K — 10.1 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 12 K on the season

Double-A Trenton (3-2 loss to Connecticut)
Eduardo Nunez, Colin Curtis, Marcos Vechionacci, and Frankie Cervelli: all 1 for 4 — Curtis and Vech doubled, Vech, Curtis, and Nunez each K’d once, Cervelli had a throwing error.
Reegie Corona: 0 for 4, 1K
Jorge Vazquez: 1 for 3, 1 BB
Justin Snyder: 0 for 3
Ian Nova: 5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Kanekoa Texeira: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K — good recovery after two tough outings
Noel Castillo: 1 IP, zeroes

High-A Tampa (4-2 loss to Lakeland)
Austin Krum, Austin Romine, Eric Fryer, Matt Cusick: all 1 for 4 — Romine hit a solo jack for Tampa’s only XBH, the Austins struck out once each
Jesus Montero: 0 for 3, 1BB, 1 PB
Damon Sublet: 0 for 4
Wady Rufino: 2 for 4
Ryan Zink: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Adam Olbrychowski: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
Jon Hovis: 1 IP, zeroes — undrafted UNC alum has been excellent

Low-A Charleston (6-5 loss to Asheville)
Ray Kruml: 2 for 5, 3 K, 1 E (throwing)
Carmen Angelini: 0 for 3, 2 K — hit a sac fly…Tampa committed three errors, none of which were by Angelini
David Adams: 1 for 4, 1 2B — 8 for his last 19 (.470) with 4 2B
Brian Baisley: 1 for 4, 1 2B
Dan Brewer: 0 for 2, 2 BB, 2 K — lowered his season average to .415
Abe Almonte: 0 for 4, 1 K — hasn’t had a hit since April 22
Melky Mesa: 1 for 4, 3K
Mitch Abeita: 1 for 4, 1 2B
Mike Lyon: 3 for 4, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 K
Andrew Brackman: 5 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 E (fielding) — just one of the seven hits were XBH
Dan Kapala: 1 IP, 2H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Brad Rulon: 2 IP, zeroes, 3 K — 0 ER, 6 K in his last four appearances (7 IP)

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Drew says:

I thought Christian Garcia was hurt but I saw he was pitching to Alex down in extended ST.

2. Steve H says:

Headline a little tough on Brackman, no? I was expecting much worse.

3. Reggie C. says:

I guess Brackman’s line looks a bit pedestrian when compared to the other guy who took the mound against Charleston – Christian Freiderich.

Is Freiderich this year’s version of Madison Baumgarner?

4. manimal says:

Rondo got DENIED

5. Brendan says:

hey i just found this online it’s very interasting and a great idea

6. manimal says:

Ajax is really shining in AAA

7. james says:

Brackman should be dominating these low A ball players. He’s gotta pick it up

8. Drew says:

Everyone in our AAA lineup is just mashing right now. Tomko is as well. How long till Cash money makes a move while these guys stocks are high. If Tomko keeps this up, a lot of teams will want his arm out of the pen.

9. Dude. Charleston had 3E and none were Angelini?

My mind is sufficiently blown that I may now be able to write the last five pages of my paper.

10. Dillon says:

Brett Tomko: 10.1 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 12 K on the season

….which proves once again that good minor league stats don’t mean much. How many guys have we called up that absolutely dominated in the minors and got hit around in bigs? Numbers are needed, but they just get you in the door. Brackman does need to pick it up pretty soon.

• Steve H says:

Are we talking about the same Brackman, the one with about 20 minor league innings?

• Bill says:

Agreed on minor league stats and Tomko. The same can be said for Spring Training stats. I mean our bullpen other than Bruney and Marte was lights out in ST. Gardner was the MVP of ST and now finds himself on our bench. Even Cody Ransom was good in ST.

Tomko is not a good pitcher. With Aceves bouncing back we really don’t even need this guy. I don’t mind keeping him in AAA as a just in case we have a thousand injuries again, but for anything else he is pretty much useless. I mean the guy had an ERA of about 7 last year in the AL and 5.5 the year before in the NL West. Just because he has become a decent AAA closer doesn’t mean he should ever see the ML roster.

I disagree on Brackman. I’d like to see more from him, but people have to remember this guy is still a project. Right now he really just needs to work on developing consistent mechanics and not worry about the results. Its a shame Boras insisted on a ML contract because now we’ll have to push him a little bit faster through the system. My guess is this may be a rough year for him but I think he’ll really turn it around next year or late this year.

11. Rich says:

Brackman still had a good GO/FO ratio: 6-2, as well as 6 K in 5 IP. I’m encouraged.

12. Drew says:

Isn’t Zink a GB guy? He had a lot of FB’s today.

13. BigBlueAL says:

How old is Brackman??? Sorry I know I should know….

14. ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

Mike, do you have an explanation for this:

“Timothy Norton assigned to Tampa Bay Rays from Staten Island Yankees” ?

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transac.....;year=2009

• Sounds like an easy mistake. Tampa Yankees, I would assume.

• ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

That sounds logic, but normally mlb.com only lists transactions that involve the big league teams. Let’s see what Baseball America has on its Minor League Transactions on Monday.

Norton should be over his injury by now, right?

15. Andy says:

Have to agree with Bo’s comment. Brackman is all hype right now, I always thought people rated him way too high. Stuff only counts for so much – ask Christian Garcia – who, by the way, is only a couple months older than Brackman. Brackman is 23 years old, and he’s doing terrible in low A, where most guys are 20-22. 19 year old Jairo Heredia dominated the same league last year, and you can’t even find him on most prospect lists.

Fact is, the guy has no track record of success to speak of, he is injury prone, and he is already getting long in the tooth. Reminds me of Alan Horne, although he has a much higher ceiling than Horne, who I have always maintained would never amount to much. For me, Brackman has to step it up, and step it up quick, for me to hype him even in the slightest.

• Andrew Brackman doesn’t turn 24 until December.

If that’s “getting long in the tooth”, then Robbie Cano must be a freaking geriatric to you.

Calm down. Brackman is fine. He’s still a good prospect. Stop overreacting.

• Andy says:

He’ll be a good prospect when he actually pitches well for more than a handful of college innings. Oh, and Cano was in the major leagues when he was 22 years old, not in low A without success. In fact, you are the one overreacting – I just said he has to prove himself to me before I put him in the top 5 Yankees prospects, you’re the one who is elevating a guy without a track record ahead of guys who have actually had some success.

16. Dave M says:

My 10 year old son dominated batting practice last night. Just wanted to mention that. I’m pretty critical of my kids, but he was by far the best hitter on his team last night.

17. usty says:

Was at the Thunder game last night…$1 beer night FTW. Colin Curtis is definitely not a CF from what I saw. His routes to the ball were unbeliveably bad multiple times last night. They got their first run after he played a straight up line drive to center into a triple by running in full steam then reversing course when he realized it was going to fly over his head by about 20 feet. Dude sure can hit though, his double was a ROPE.

18. I did not giggle.

I do want to shit, though.

19. Matt ACTY says:

Alright let me get this straight (or at least try to):

Mosaic Law is not necessarily natural but because it is based in the Ten Commandments it can be considered natural?

20. A.D. says:

This is clearly an off-topic post.