Apr

Extra inning wins & rain outs

If you haven’t done so yet, please take a second to vote in this week’s Fan Confidence Poll. Thanks.

Triple-A Scranton (5-3 win over Buffalo in 11 innings) that is one hell of a bullpen
Kevin Russo: 4 for 6, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 SB - .406-.441-.500 with 3 steals in the early going
Doug Bernier, Todd Linden, Shelley Duncan & Juan Miranda: all 1 for 5, 2 K – Bernier drew a walk … Linden doubled & actually K’ed three times … Duncan drove in a run
Austin Jackson: 1 for 3, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K - he played LF this game … the Yanks had Brett Gardner shuttle between CF & LF for about two weeks before calling him up last year … I wonder … no, they couldn’t be thinking about actually doing it, could they?
Angel Berroa: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 E (fielding)
Kevin Cash: 1 for 2, 1 RBI- came out in the fifth after hurting his shoulder on a play at the plate … this probably means that PJ Pilittere will get activated, as he should be
Chris Stewart: 1 for 3, 1 CS
Jason Johnson: 5 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 7-5 GB/FB – 50 of 87 pitches were strikes (57.5%)
Steven Jackson: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 4-2 GB/FB - 19 of 32 pitches were strikes (59.4%)
JB Cox: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HB, 3-3 GB/FB, 18 of 32 pitches were strikes (56.3%) … I dunno, since TJ he hasn’t been the groundball machine he once was
Mark Melancon: 2 IP, zeroes, 4 K – 2-0 GB/FB – 20 of 27 pitches were strikes (74.1%)

Double-A Trenton was rained out. No makeup date has been announced, but I’m guessing they’ll play two tomorrow.

High-A Tampa was also rained out. No word on a makeup date, but they could play a doubleheader at some point over the next two days.

Low-A Charleston (2-1 win over Augusta in 10 innings)
Carmen Angelini: 0 for 4, 2 K, 1 E (throwing) – 5 errors in 5 games
Melky Mesa & Mike Lyon: both 2 for 4, 1 K
David Adams, Abe Almonte & Walt Ibarra: all 1 for 4, 1 K – Adams doubled & scored a run … Ibarra drove a run in and committed both a fielding & throwing error
Brian Baisley & Dan Brewer: both 1 for 4, 3 K – Brewer scored a run
Mitch Abeita: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Brett Marshall: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 9-7 GB/FB – that’s a damn good line for a recently turned 19 yr old kid in his full season debut
Hector Noesi: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3-0 GB/FB
Pat Venditte: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 0-1 GB/FB – nails

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Joe says:

Does Angelini really have to make an error in every game?

2. So tell me something about Russo. He’s not in BA prospect handbook.

3. Manimal says:

Ajax needs a solid 3 months in AAA, his K-rate is pretty fugly right now. He needs to see some pitches and get used to the AAA pitching before he jumps to the majors.

4. pat says:

Hey mike you get to rest the “Tim Battle K’ed” button for a while. He was put on the 60 day DL with a shoulder injury.

5. I wonder … no, they couldn’t be thinking about actually doing it, could they?

Please, god, no. Don’t do it.

We’ll be fine, guys. We’ll be fine.

We’re mashing the shit out of the ball and our 6-9 hitters have been crappy virtually every game so far, and we’re still not at 100% strength. I’d rather stick with Gardner and Melky combining to hit .200/.250/.300 than rush AJax. We’ll be fine.

No need. Let him simmer in Scranton for as long as possible.

6. A.D. says:

Interesting moving AJAX around, but they can’t be thinking of bringing him up, and if they were it would be CF

7. pat says:

Nova, Heredia and De La Rosa are allhealthy and building up innings in EST to make up for lost time in Spring Training.

8. I know you don’t really do prospect profiles midseason, but I’d love at least a mini-blurb about JB Cox when you get a second. I feel like I don’t know enough about how he’s been post-surgery.

• El Generalissimo says:

I know that since his surgery he hasnt fully regained his velocity and is now topping out at 88. He doesnt really walk anyone, but doesnt strike out anyone either, and with that velocity it doesnt seem like he would be that effective in the majors.

9. Manimal says:

If the Yanks think Melancon is the next Mo, why does he always throw 2 innings at a time? Last year it was a Pitch count thing, but this year it should be a good thing that he gets through one inning with minimal amount of pitches. And their long reliever is closing throwing an inning at a time. How the hell does that make sense?

10. Jamal G. says:

The Red Sox are comical.

11. Accent Shallow says:

Great to see Marshall start strong, although I’d have bet on more Ks. Absolutely not going to complain about a kid putting up that line, though.

12. Venditte keeps tempting me. At some point, I guess he’ll start to be a legit prospect.

13. Jonathan says:

Mark Melancon makes me want to be a better person

14. A.D. says:

Russo of to a damn fine start, hopefully he stays healthy.

15. A.D. says:

The fact that its throwing errors, is that better or worse? I feel like worse.

• Reggie C. says:

I don’t . I would hope Angellini’s defensive range is superb if his throws suck right now. The report on him was always centered around the strength of his throws. He’s just got to take alittle something off it. Of course … its never that simple.

• Stuckey says:

Remember Jeter made like 35 errors his first full season in pro ball, and mostly on throws.

Say what you want about range, but errors were/are not a problem for him, from day 1 in the bigs.

16. Rich says:

Berroa is to fielding what Ransom is to hitting.

17. MattG says:

Not joking, the A’s color guy just said about Giambi, “Forget about his hitting, this is a gold glove first baseman right now.”

He has some serious gray in his beard…

…and they’re tied.

18. Jeff says:

I don’t see anything wrong with having Ajax play in left, center, or even right field. It’s good to have versatile outfielders, you never know when someone could get hurt or how the outfield could shake out in the future. I believe Gardner and Melky have both played all three OF positions for the Yankees. Also, with the Yankee stadium outfield it’s always seemed like you really need a CF to play LF with all the room out there.

Next year I would love to see a Yankee OF of Gardner, AJax, and Melky, from left to right with Swisher as the 4th OF. I think that would be a really solid and athletic group. It’s always nice to have the home grown players as the core of the team, but they all need to perform this year for that to be a consideration.

This is a good opening week for AJax so far, lets hope he continues to hit AAA pitching. It would be nice to see him get some doubles and homers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see AJax get called up if Gardner struggled for some reason. He hasn’t been great, but Gardner made a difference in today’s game, I happen to like him in the leadoff spot since his speed can create early runs Jeter can’t.

• Tom Zig says:

Next year I would love to see a Yankee OF of Gardner, AJax, and Melky Swisher, from left to right with Swisher Melky as the 4th OF.

Fixed

• A.D. says:

I agree that would be a very nice defensive OF, but chance are the offense would be suspect.

• Jeff says:

Gardner could be surprising with his offense once he hits his stride. His slugging percentage could be deceptive or skewed by his speed. He’s a guy who can turn some singles into doubles with his speed and doubles into triples. Though, I can’t see him ever hitting more than 10 HR in a season.

AJax showed good numbers in AA last year, but its hard to tell what he could do in the majors until he put in more time at AAA.

I like Melky, so hopefully he can contribute in his limited playing time. He does have the potential.

Look at what Tampa did with their outfield last year. None of their numbers really blow you away except for Upton’s OBP. Maybe the Yankees can find a recipe for success with these three guys.

• El Generalissimo says:

The only problem is upton and crawford are two of the most physically gifted athletes on the planet. Upton is said to breakout this year as an allstar. And Crawford was already an allstar.

Gardner most likely will never hit more then 3 HRs in a season and moneys on him behind the 4th outfielder, pinch runner, defensive replacement, spot starter next year. With Melky not being in the organization. Swisher in right/left and a FA in the other, maybe crawford, if TB opts not to pick up his option.

• jon says:

Sorry ill take an outfield of

crawford, ajax, swisher

19. A.D. says:

Never like seeing a player get hurt, but Cash could be a real silver lining injury, with PJ getting time.

20. Diony says:

Our OF should be Ajax/Gardner, Swisher and a FA

• Jeff says:

Don’t wanna get off topic, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the Yankees explore FA options like Holliday or Bay, but they won’t be cheap.

Conversely, If the Yankees were to go with their own home grown talent for the OF next year they would save around $32.5 million with Damon, Nady, and Matsui leaving. By producing players with your own farm system it saves the team money in two ways. It would give the Yankees a lower payroll and lead to them spending less money on the Luxury Tax.

21. dan says:

Cox also decided that it’s no longer cool to strike people out. It’s been two full years since his TJ operation. It’s early, but his stuff isn’t coming back as well as we’d hoped so far.

22. Alan The Dominicanyorker says:

The future closer will be this man.

Too bad he will not keep the sideburns since the Yanks have rules on facial hair.

23. ManBearPig says:

Or instead of signing someone, they could package together some of their surplus pitchers for a young/promising outfielder – or maybe they should save that package for a minor league SS

24. NC Saint says:

I had a dream that I was Pat Venditte last night. I wish I could say that I’m kidding, but I’m not.

Mark Melancon makes me feel all tingly, like when we used to climb the ropes in gym class.