Apr

Fan Confidence Poll: April 13th, 2009

The season kicked off last week in inauspicious fashion, even though the Yankees lowered their Opening Day payroll from 2008. CC Sabathia and Chien-Ming Wang fired clunkers in the first two games of the season, and there was much concern over Sabathia’s use of a heading pad. Thankfully the march to 0-162 was halted by AJ Burnett and a scorching hot Nick Swisher in the third game of the year, and Andy Pettitte followed by dominating the Royals the next day. Sabathia rebounded in a big way in his second start, firing nearly eight innings of shutout ball. Down in the minors, some of the Yanks top young pitching prospects had strong season debuts, none better than Ian Kennedy.

Joe Girardi overmanaged the way out of a sweep of the Royals yesterday, and Mark Teixeira has missed two straight games with a sore wrist. Everyone is concerned, but I’m hopeful the Yanks are just playing it safe early in the season. Let’s not even mention Cody Ransom’s struggles. Poor guy.  At least Alex Rodriguez is closer to returning.

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. Long time RABer Bob Stone was kind enough to put together a Fan Confidence Graph which you’ll be able to view anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks to Bob and thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Jamal G. says:

Do you guys know who the tool is that keeps voting for “1″?

2. Strangely, despite yesterday’s loss, I’m more confident in this team than I was a week ago.

3. A.D. says:

It always lets me vote twice. Whenever I first refresh it lets me vote again, then its all set.

4. Matt says:

Eight. I’m so predictable.

5. Reggie C. says:

Still a 7.

And yeah … i’m taking an immediate future approach. There are some concerns: Teixeira’s sprained wrist is alittle troubling considering the RAB guys have already said that it could sap his ability to drive pitches if its a lingering issue. Ransom is terrible.

• Will says:

Thats exactly how I feel too.
      I’m also a little worried about Wang tonight, and this series against the Rays. I voted 6 (down from 7) which is on the low side, but if we can take 2 out of 3, it’ll go up.

6. Expired Milk says:

Pitching is as good as advertised. Lineup can score runs without Boli and Tex.The pen looks sharp despite a couple bad outings. Confidence = 9.9 because of Cold Cody.

7. Brad says:

I give us a solid 7. We played some pretty bad teams, so I don’t take the pitching performances against .290 OBP Mike Jacobs that seriously. Same goes with the offense against Horacio & co.
    Still, I know this team is beastly, and should prove itself as the class of the AL, 6 games wasn’t going to make or break my confidence.
    Go Yanks.

8. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

“9″

It’s been easy to point out what the issues have bene thus far. It was a brief stumble out of the gate by our two best pitchers and a heartbreaker due to bullpen mismanagement. The offense has excelled without its best player, and this team does not look like the traditional slow starting team in April. The only dark cloud right now is what the hell is up with Mark Teixeira. As long as his absence is short, it’s hard not to be anything but excited with this team’s direction at the moment.

9. GUNSBLAZING says:

I think the Yankees will go as far as there pitching takes them. They have an underrated bullpen and have one of the best offenses. As for Tiexiera he will be fine he just has a little tendentious in his wrist it should clear up soon and until then he will bat lefty and play great defense. IM not worried about Ransom soon we will have A-Rod and until then we probably will see a lot more of Ramero Pena at third. I really like what I see from Brett Gardner when he gets on base he scores and that’s something us Yankees fans have not seen in years. As I said this team goes as far as its pitching takes them and except for the first two games of the season the starting pitching and bullpen have looked great. I predict 105 wins for this team. Mark my Words.
    Also remember 1998 we started the season 1-4 things could be worse and things will get better….

10. Listen to the wise GUNSBLAZING he knows of what he speaks. I on the other hand only have knowledge of old classic movies from the 50′s and 60′s and I love the music of the band. As a matter of fact right now IM listening to “THE BAND ARCADIAN DRIFT WOOD”…..

11. [...] you haven’t done so yet, please take a second to vote in this week’s Fan Confidence Poll. [...]

12. [...] though the Yankees went 4-3 last week, it seemed like everything went wrong. They lost their home opener thanks to a bullpen implosion, [...]