Apr

Low-A Charleston roster announced

The Charleston River Dogs website has the 2009 roster up. The most interesting thing is that both Carmen Angelini and Garrison Lassiter – both shortstops by trade – made the team. Lassiter is listed as an IF (Angelini a SS), so he may end up playing some third base because third round pick David Adams will be manning second. We’ll have to see how this plays out.

The rotation looks pretty stacked, headed by Andrew Brackman. Brett Marshall, Manny Banuelos and David Phelps will join him, with one of Brandon Braboy, Casey Erickson and Cory Arbiso holding down the fifth spot. Pat Venditte & Brad Rulon will anchor the bullpen like they did for Short Season Staten Island last year. The outfield is pretty exciting with Dan Brewer, Abe Almonte and Taylor Grote on board. I don’t have anything definitive on the Triple-A Scranton, Double-A Trenton or High-A Tampa rosters yet, but as soon as we find out I’ll post them.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Where does this put guys like Betances and Jairo Heredia to start the season? AA?

2. M.D. says:

what about dj mitchell?

3. pat says:

Don’t sleep on DJ Mitchell. FWIW PP loves the kid thinks he was one of the best picks of the entire draft.

4. Chris G. says:

Do you think Turley will be with Staten Island this year? What role do you think he’s going to play, RP or starter?

5. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

OK, pick one pitcher and one position player off that roster as your 2009 breakout candidates.

Mine are:

David Adams

Manny Banuelos

I think Adams will hit his way to the bigs and I like everything I’ve heard about Manny-Banny.

6. Jake H says:

Well it looks like Lassister is going to play some 3rd base.

Mike do you see Manny B getting up to Tampa this year?

• Mike Axisa says:

I would be very surprised. He just turned 18 last week, let him catch his breath for a year.

• Jake H says:

I thought so also. Just wanted a professional opinion. Do you see Taylor Grote making the jump to legit prospect this year?

• Mike Axisa says:

Heh, wouldn’t someone have to pay me before you can call me a professional?

I think he could make the jump. Hopefully he plays every day and doesn’t get stuck platooning or bouncing around OF spots.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Lane Meyer: As a hitter tell me about your swing and approach.

Garrison Lassiter: I’d say my approach is more like a Wade Boggs-type guy. I get a feel for the ball really well, put that fat part of the bat on the ball a lot, and hit the ball all over the field. I pride myself on being a tough guy to get out and being consistent. As I get older my power is going to come, I mean I’m 6?3?, 195 lbs right now, and as I progress and go through the system my power is going to develop. I’m just trying to stay consistent and hit .300 this year.”

7. Tripp says:

Possibly Lassiter and Angelini do the whole DH/SS split role?

8. Matt says:

What’s the deal w/the ambidextrous dude?

9. Drew says:

Isn’t Venditte the switch pitcher?

• Brian says:

I really hope he makes it to the majors.

• anonymous says:

Have they officially written new rules yet because of this kid?

• Matt says:

I have a question regarding pitching. Is there any rule that stipulates that a pitches must either right-handed or left-handed?

No, there is no such rule.

Based on the answer to the first question: If not, it is feasible to say that a pitcher could deliver the ball right-handed one pitch and then left-handed on the next?

Ambidextrous pitchers are rare but do exist. An example was Greg Harris, who pitched with the Boston Red Sox. When such pitchers pitch in the Major Leagues, they must pitch with the same hand during a batter’s entire at-bat. Such pitchers may change pitching hand for the next batter, but again must continue with that arm for that batter’s entire at-bat.

• anonymous says:

So in the majors it will be advantage hitter? And you wont get that back and forth like in that video that was online a while ago of Venditte and some switch hitter.

• Mike Axisa says:

Everything else in the game of baseball benefits the pitcher, so I would assume this would as well. I know in college the pitcher got to choose which side he pitched from, essentially forcing a switch hitter to hit from his weaker side.

• Brian says:

The Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) released its official rules for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers. These guidelines were reached after PBUC staff consulted with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee.

Here’s how it reads:

* The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.
            The pitcher must throw one pitch to the batter before any “switch” by either player is allowed.
            * After one pitch is thrown, the pitcher and batter may each change positions one time per at-bat. For example, if the pitcher changes from right-handed to left-handed and the batter then changes batter’s boxes, each player must remain that way for the duration of that at-bat (unless the offensive team substitutes a pinch hitter, and then each player may again “switch” one time).

* Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire. There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

* If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.

10. Diony says:

Where can I find ST numbers for the low-A group? I’d like to see how Lassiter did. Maybe he impressed everyone.

11. Reggie C. says:

No Arodys Vizcaino in the rotation? That’s pretty surprising imo. Considering Jairo Heredia got his Low-A debut at a tender age of 18/19, why is Arodys not on this team?

12. Reggie C. says:

No shocker that Angellini is repeating Low-A. He’s gotta stay healthy. I think he had to work through some injury issues in’08 that pretty much ensured that he never got going at the plate or with the glove. If i remember right, Angellini was going to go to LSU and contend with DJ LeMahieu for the starting job. Now DJ is a rising prospect and sure-fire 1st rounder (as of now), and Angellini is …. not near any prospect precipice or anything but definitely in danger of falling in the depth chart behind Lassiter and maybe Phelps.

13. Captain says:

So Weems finally gets a chance.

14. [...] but the outfield isn’t anything to write home about. Low-A Charleston’s roster was announced yesterday. Posted on Monday, April 6th, 2009 at 8:00 pm in Asides, Minors. RSS feed | Trackback [...]

15. [...] four full-season affiliates straight from the Yankees. We found out who was going to suit up for Low-A Charleston over the weekend, and yesterday we got word of Double-A Trenton’s preliminary roster. The [...]