Apr

Now pitching for the Yankees: Francisco Liriano

Francisco Liriano a Yank

(click image for a larger view)

Rumor has it the Yanks only had to give up Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy, but were willing to throw in Kei Igawa if the Twins included Joe Nathan in the deal. (h/t JasperJohn for the email)

Update (5:45pm): Okay okay okay, enough people complained, I changed the post title.

Categories : Whimsy

1. VO says:

I don’t think I’m ok giving up Kennedy

2. Chip says:

Hahaha that’s awesome!

3. Chip says:

My first thought was, why the hell would we need him and my second was, did Cashman not like Joba’s start today and trade him and Hughes?

4. NYFan50 says:

This is a terribly misleading headline to get in one’s RSS feed…

5. Boo that, I’d rather have Francisco Rodriguez, he can pitch the 8th.

Don’t you know our bullpen is a freaking traveshamockery of shittiness? WTF are you doing acquiring more starters, Cash, LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!

• jsbrendog says:

obv liriano pitches the 8th. duh he’s 0-3 so he is obv a huge big fat hairy bust

• Chip says:

It would be statistically impossible to acquire Francisco Rodriguez because the Mets now understand that the bullpen is more important than a good starting rotation

• Will (the other one) says:

“…the Mets now understand that the bullpen is more important than a good starting rotation”

Fixed.

6. BigBlueAL says:

The Twins would also have to include Joe Mauer.

7. Double-J says:

Aww, I actually got semi-excited. Thanks for the tease, RAB.

8. Will (the other one) says:

This is NOT good. Minnesota must have purposely shredded his elbow again before they put him on the plane.

How could Cash be so stupid?!

9. Smitt Dogg says:

My heart stopped. Youre like 16 days late for crap like that

10. Frank says:

“Whaaaaat? That’s great! WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!”

11. Tank the Frank says:

“Whaaaat? That’s great! WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!”

12. Mike says:

blueballs

13. 4/6 – 3.2 IP, 4 runs allowed – (boo)
    4/8 – 4.1 scoreless innings – (well done)
    4/9 – 3.2 scoreless innings – (well done)
    4/10 – 2.0 scoreless innings – (well done)
    4/11 – 1.1 IP, 1 run allowed – (meh)
    4/12 – 2.0 IP, 3 runs allowed – (boo)
    4/13 – 7.0 IP, 4 runs allowed – (well done, all things considered; game was over before it started)
    4/14 – 1.0 scoreless innings – (well done)
    4/15 – 1.2 scoreless innings – (well done)
    4/16 – 3.1 IP, 9 runs allowed – (boo)
    4/17 – 4.1 scoreless innings – (well done)

• Sorry, cut and paste fail:

That’s our bullpen.

• handtius says:

So, wait, are you trying to tell me our bullpen doesn’t suck? Cause if you are, you’re wrong. It would be so much better with Joba and CC in the 8th and a left handed specialist…we’d have a lock down pen. DO IT! DO IT!

• Tom Zig says:

So you’re saying we need Joba in the bullpen?

/sarcasm

• LB says:

Not too shabby

• radnom says:

Just to play devil’s advocate:

4/6 – 3.1 IP, 2 runs allowed – (boo)
      4/8 – 4.1 scoreless innings – (well done)
      4/9 – 1.2 scoreless innings – (well done)
      4/11 – 1.1 IP, 1 run allowed – (boo)
      4/12 – 1.0 IP, 3 runs allowed – (boo)
      4/13 – 7.0 IP, 4 runs allowed – (meh)
      4/16 – 3.1 IP, 9 runs allowed – (boo)
      4/17 – 2.1 scoreless innings – (well done)

Everyone else besides Rivera and Bruney. ERA is obviously inflated because of the blowouts, but look at all the appearances(Ignoring 4/15 since it was only 1 out):

1 Extended solid performance
      2 solid performances
      1 mediocre mop-up
      2 bad performances
      1 implosion

Now, I’m not an alarmist who thinks our bullpen won’t be fine. But it is disengenuis to say that the majority of the bullpen (sans those two guys- and Swisher) havn’t struggled in the very early going.

14. Willy says:

In other news, the scoreboard at Wrigley yesterday had ARod (#13) pitching for the Yankees yesterday.

15. Mike R. - Retire 21 says:

This is an awful trade! If it were Ian Kennedy alone I’d think about it, but Kennedy AND Melky!?!?!? WTF!?!? We need OF depth. We are basically sending the Twins young cost controlled versions of Bernie and Moose. Cashman suks!!!1!1!eleven!

16. Babe's Ghost says:

!!!1!1!eleven!

google is your friend.

But the larger question is, since when did this become a joke blog? If I wanted comedy I’d read waswatching.

17. Swisher's Evil Empire says:

What was the old title?

18. Jeb says:

Ok, the original title totally fooled me. Our office has a sonic wall which prevents us from getting on the Internets unless it’s an “approved” site. So, I get RAB in my in-box, but any pictures that accompany stories don’t get through. So the photo of the mistaken Fox Screen shot wasn’t included in my in-box. A buddy and I spent 30 minutes on our blackberries (where the screen shot was way too small to read) going to MLB.COM, ESPN.COM, etc., trying to figure out whether the Yanks had just traded IPK & Melky for Liriano (and whether RAB had the scoop of the year).

Thankkkkkkkssss Mike.