May

Open Thread: Updating the 2009 Pledge Drive

Safe At HomeBack in early April we announced our plans for The 2009 RAB Pledge Drive, which we’re using to raise money for Joe Torre’s Safe At Home Foundation. The basic idea is that readers pledge a certain amount of money for every run the Yanks score this year, then at the end of the season we would collect all the pledges and donate every cent to Safe At Home. We ran a similar pledge drive last year, raising $1,050 for The Jorge Posada Foundation.

To date, we’ve had twenty kind readers agree to pledge, good for $1.19 per run scored. Even though they’ve only had Alex Rodriguez for just three games this season, the Yanks have scored 172 runs, tied for the fifth most in all of baseball. That means we’ve already raised $204.68 for Safe At Home through just 31 games. We’re currently on pace to raise just about $1,070 over the course of the season.

If you haven’t pledged yet but want to do so, just shoot me an email at mike (at) riveraveblues (dot) com, and make sure you put Pledge Drive or something to that affect in the subject line. Most people are pledging five cents per run, but you’re more than welcome to pledge more or less. Every penny helps. Regardless of your feelings towards Joe Torre, I think we can all agree that domestic violence is something no child should have to endure. This is a chance for you to do something and help some poor unfortunate kid out there. Thanks to everyone who’s already pledged, and thanks in advance to anyone who plans to pledge in the future.

On a much lighter note, feel free to use this as your open thread since we have no Yankees baseball. The Mets-Braves game is on ESPN, and you’ve also got a pair of potential elimination games in the NBA playoffs on TNT. I’ll be kickin’ it with House and 24. Whatever your flavor, feel free to chat about whatever you like here. Just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. For our NYC-based readers: The Mets game will be on SNY and not ESPN.

2. So I have to take a Spanish translation exam sometime before the end of the summer, so I decided it’d be good practice to translate an old spanish novel lying around the house.

The very first chapter of this novel, the protagonist keeps trying to kill his mother because he’s afraid he’s becoming her.

It is beyond messed up.

3. Mike Pop says:

Well, at least we get to watch teh Johan.

4. Chris Russo says:

Say something funny, Mikey.

5. Mike Pop says:

CC and Berkman for Greinke. I get CC and Berkman, pull the trigger?

6. steve says:

me = bored at work.

any yankee fans out there that live in the LA area? my other yankee fans and I are looking for some yankee bars.

7. The Artist says:

Cant wait to hear the Clemens interview on Mike and Mike tomorrow morning. I would guess he has something newsworthy to say in the wake of the Manny revelations, but if his legal stuff is still pending then he may not be able to say much.

Wonder why he’s doing the interview, anyway. Doubt he’s promoting anything, he’s not exactly marketable these days.

8. Jamal G. says:

You know what’s funny? Jeff Francouer would probably agree that Omir Santos (.300 BA; .310 OBP) is having a better offensive season than Marco Scutaro (.278 BA; .406 OBP).

9. Doug says:

My league counts OBP and BBs. I’m still starting Marco Scutaro because he’s leading the league in walks.

Is that not the craziest of things?

10. I’m in last place or near last place in many of my fantasy leagues.

My idea of fantasy baseball is drafting a team on day one and then doing almost nothing.

Eventually Lincecum and Nolasco will come around! They have to!

11. Any know of any good mock draft sites for the amateur draft?

12. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Well, I’m glad that I didn’t go to the Daytona Cubs/Tampa Yankees game. Dellin Betances 1/3 4 hits, 3 runs and 1 walk. But the rains came, and now they are in a delay. Hopefully this one gets wiped off the books. The good news is that it finally rained after about 50 days.

13. The Artist says:

Anyone else impressed enough with Cervelli to start thinking about him as the full-time backup Catcher next year?

He’s got good catching skills, a good arm, and is a surprisingly good runner for a catcher. You could pinch run him for Posada late in games, improve defensively and not have to burn two bench players.

I’m so hot on this idea, I’m ready to tell Molina to take a hike.

• Well Molina’s contract is up and I’m sure if Cervelli plays just like Molina did over the last two seasons, Molina’ll be gone and Frankie C will be the backup.

• The Artist says:

Molina doesn’t hit for shit anyway, so if Cervelli can hit around .225 its an upgrade, since he runs much better. Both are good defensively, that’s a wash.

Everyone says his defensive skills are MLB ready, but the bat isn’t.

• Mike Pop says:

Yep, I’m on board with this if Cervelli shows he can handle the backup C job, which seems like he can.

That’s 2 million the Yanks don’t have to pay for a backup.

• Mike Axisa says:

It’s been three games.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Way too soon

• Jamal G. says:

Dude, if you do this and Francisco Cervelli shits the bed, you’re down to Kevin Cash. In the unlikely scenario that Jose Molina is not even a serviceable backup, your next option is Cervelli. There is absolutely zero reason to kick Molina out the door in favor of Cervelli.

• matt b says:

I just hope the Yanks are kicking the tires over in Arizona on Miguel Montero–not saying he’s the end all be all, but he’s a far superior hitter than Molina or Cervelli (not as good defensively, I’ll concede) and might even be good enough to start full time in the event of an extended absence by Jorge and while waiting and hoping for the other Montero and Romine. I’m not saying you trade the world for him, just listen, and see what’s there. Given that the DBacks re-signed Snyder multiyear in the offseason, there’s got to at least be a chance to get something done.

I don’t know if there’s a match otherwise, and call me crazy, but I tnink young catchers who can hit are such a precious commodity that I’d trade any prospect not named Hughes/Ajax/Jesus/Betances/Brackman. I guess that’s not such a bold statement.

And BTW, Hughes for Salty? Just throwing it out there–any interest, who hangs up the phone?

• The Artist says:

We really need a defensive backup for Jorge for the next few years, until Montero/Romine are ready (or we sign Mauer). Cervelli is an excellent fit for that role. I love the idea that we can pinch run him anytime its late and Jorge’s on base, and only burn one bench player.

• matt b says:

See I think this is tricky–I hear alot of people say Jose Molina is the best backup catcher in the league. And I think that may technically be close to true, in the purest sense, i.e. he is probably an outstanding asset when he plays 1-2 times a week tops.

But this club doesn’t need that so much, IMHO–it needs its backup to be more of a guy who is actually capable of being the starter catcher for a sustained strech. And Molina, while great defensively, just isn’t that–the black hole bat is too much overcome. Tough to find, no doubt, esp. in free agency. That’s why I think you look to trade for a guy like Montero

Molina was 0.0 WAR in ’08 (and that accounts for his defensivle value) and 0.2 thus far this year, whereas Montero was 1.4 ’08 and 0.4 thus far.

Now maybe Cervelli won’t be a black hole offensively–he almost certainly will be, though his IsoD is better than Jose’s, which is a positive sign–maybe he can actually get on base a bit.

This club can go alot of ways next year (or even this year), but esp. next year, with Matsui off the books, I don’t think it’s crazy to make a play at a legit catcher and basically let Jorge DH primarily, maybe catch 20 times a year, spell Tex 20 times a year. I’m not convinced that’s the best option, but I think it’s one to consider.

Make no mistake–it’ll be hard for this club to be a playoff team this season if Cervelli starts the rest of this year–they can do it if the rest of that offense stays absolutely healthy and Melky doesn’t regress–maybe you can survive one black hole with superior production from the other 8. But to go the Steve Goldman route, it’s awfully tough to win if 2-3 spots in your lineup give you replacement level production or lower.

• The Artist says:

Good post, but I know the Yanks have always felt the kind of hitting they get out of Jorge is a huge edge, its something most other teams simply don’t have. So I see them simply playing him less and less as he ages, but leaving him as the starter.

14. Mike Axisa says:

WTF? ESPN keeps showing that Chase Wright clip for no apparent reason.

15. Jamal G. says:

ShysterBall rips apart the Selena Roberts book: http://tinyurl.com/o65j46

16. Mike Axisa says:

ZOMG there’s empty seats behind home plate in CitiField!1!!

17. LC says:

Angels lefty Saunders talks about how he’ll never vote for A-Rod in all-star game because he’s tainted.

Sorry, but why the heck would you go to the media talking about that stuff? I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t keep his thoughts within his clubhouse.

• Mike Axisa says:

Apparently it’s never occurred to Saunders that he might have made the ASG last year thanks to some wins he picked up because a few of his teammates were juicing. I mean, that’s not possible, no chance at all, right?

• The Angels are too gritty to take steroids, Mike.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Speaking of Saunders, I read a book called “Odd Man Out” by this kid who gets drafted in the Angels organization, it’s about his one season in the Angels organization, he talks a bit about Saunders, he kind of comes off as a dick. It’s an amusing read, nothing ground breaking though

• Jamal G. says:

Heh, or maybe it’s never occurred to Saunders that he should keep his mouth shut and not disrupt anything as to keep whatever deal with the devil he currently has that has allowed him to pitch better than his career 4.35 FIP and 4.68 and 4.18 K/9 rates in the 2008 and 2009 seasons, respectively, says he should be pitching.

• Mike Pop says:

Heh, talking bout All Star games really?

I would expect a man with balls to say that he’s no HOFer in his book.

• If Saunders doesn’t vote for A-Rod he can’t honestly vote for anyone else, either.

18. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Speaking of a code of silence Orel. Why doesn’t Hershiser speak up about steroids in the clubhouses? He was the friggin pitching coach in Texas! Does he not know anything? Fucking hypocrite.

19. WTF is Orel Hershiser talking about? Is he really saying that Roger Clemens has never, before now, come out and denied that he used steroids? What planet has Orel been living on?

20. Jamal G. says:

So, if you haven’t gone to see Star Trek as of yet, I highly suggest you do. It really is a damn good flick, and I don’t think I’ve ever watched a full episode of any version of the series.

21. Jamal G. says:

For all the crap that Ca$hmoney gets for his free-agent acquisitions of pitchers, he does not nearly get the credit he deserves for the signing of Johnny Damon. The guy has been everything the Yankees could ask for (if you didn’t expect him to move from center field during the latter years of this deal then you’re an idiot, and you need to go away go to LoHud), and more.

Also, as a little kicker, he’s been far and away better than the center-field replacements the Red Sox have trotted out their since the start of the 2006 campaign.

22. Ivan says:

So Melky is off the “he sucks” list now?

23. yanke1313 says:

the yankees are looking at dominican prospects rafael de paula, gary sanchez, and wagner mateo or Gulliermo Pimentel.

24. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Jamal, are you alright with House banging your girl? haha

25. Compare and contrast Jeff Francouer with Melky Cabrera.

26. The Artist says:

So my (boy) Bulldog wakes me up FOUR FUCKING TIMES yesterday. He comes up to me as I’m sound asleep and starts barking right in my ear! ROOF! R-R-R-R-ROOOF!! Right in my ear. I thought he had to go out, so I opened the patio door for him, but that wasn’t it.

Finally I wake up enough to figure it out. He lost his ball. It was stuck under the floorboard heaters where he couldn’t get it. So I give him his stupid ball and now its 5:30 on a Sunday morning and I can’t get back to sleep.

Anyone want a 7 year old Bulldog?

27. Ivan says:

It just hit me, rite now in the NBA, it’s a legit arguement that LeBron, Kobe, Wade and even Paul are some best ballers playing at the same time in a long time. Those players are potential top 15-20 players eva.

28. Aww, the Mets got a hit. Boo.

29. Re: The subject of Mike’s post, above…

Good for the 20 people who have already participated in the 2009 RAB Pledge Drive. To everyone else who reads/comments here: Make a pledge, don’t be a doucheface. Nobody’s asking anyone to give a lot of money. Every little bit counts, and EVERYONE can give a little bit.

• Ivan says:

Word make a pledge to save some lives.

• Pledged last year and this year again.

• The Artist says:

HCM, there are ways to persuade people to donate to worthy causes. Calling them ‘Doucheface’ isn’t one of them. It might have made you feel better, but its counter-productive.

• Agree to disagree. Mike, understandably and with good reason, makes kind and sincere attempts to get people to participate. I don’t have to go that route, and I think that people who are here reading and commenting every day are douchefaces if they don’t participate.

I don’t like when commenters resort to name-calling, and I try, I think pretty successfully, to stay away from name-calling around here. But this isn’t a discussion about whether Nady or Swisher should have started the season in right field. The guys who write this blog provide us all with a service we appreciate and they have taken it upon themselves to organize and administer a pledge drive for a very worthy cause, and EVERY regular reader and/or commenter should participate. 20 participants is not enough, we can do better. EVERYONE should give a few bucks.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Since I happen to work for a non-profit organization for homeless youth and am often soliciting support and donations, I can tell you, that you don’t go to people and tell them they owe you something or their an asshole. Hell, even the homeless say thanks when you say I got no change. The way to go about it is to tell people why they should give, the importance of the organization, and why you support it. Not calling people “Douchface”

• Good grief. People around here call each other worse than “doucheface” when discussing the freaking Charleston Riverdogs, but apparently I went way over the line by calling people who can’t give a buck to charity a name. I take it back, with great apologies to anyone I may have offended, and I feel shame.

• PS: In all seriousness, I may not agree with you guys and I don’t think what I said was so bad, but I’ll take it under consideration and I won’t use language like that if I ever discuss the Pledge Drive again. Tonight, the cat’s out of the bag, and I can’t get him back in. Such is life.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

I agree with your intention 100%, and you should continue pushing it as hard, I’m just saying your point would be better received if you present it differently.

• Yah. I got that, and I said I’d do what you guys said in the future. I happen to think this particular situation is a little different than your situation with fundraising at work, but in the interest of RAB friendship and respect for other commenters I said I hear you and I’ll cool it with the doucheface stuff. Now drop it and don’t be a doucheface.

(Most annoying RAB conversation ever? Most annoying RAB conversation ever. lol)

• thurdonpaul says:

doucheface comment worked on me, im gonna donate,thanks for reminding me

30. Yes, ESPN, Lowe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oliver Perez.

31. Mike Pop says:

C-Webb getting all ghetto on TNT.

• Ivan says:

Im not gonna lie, I find C-Webb quite cool on TNT.

Also, another guy who is quite underrated in the NBA. That dude was awesome as a player.

• Mike Pop says:

I do too. Loved to watch those Kings’ teams. Bibby, Christie, Peja, C-Webb, and Divac. I was pulling for them to beat the “evil” Lakers every year. Haha

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

That 2001 series was a heartbreaker! I hadn’t been into a basketball series that intensely since those Knicks/Pacers, Knicks/Heat series of the good old days.

• Mike Pop says:

Heh, it sucked no doubt. Bibby was awesome, still is in my opinion. He’s one of my favorite players. Horry hit the 3 and Samaki Walker’s 3(halfcourt shot) at halftime buzzer that shouldn’t of counted!!! Arg, brings back bad memories. Bobby Jackson – haah. He was funny.

• Ivan says:

What kills C-Webb he falls under the “Not clutch” category with the “Time out” and playoff losses.

That King team should of beaten that Laker team as they outplayed them but to be fair, Robert Horry fucked them in game 4 and then the refs fucked them in game 6 and finally they fucked themselves in game 7.

• Mike Pop says:

Yep, the same title that Dirk will fall under after his career unless he does something big soon.

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

I’m completely serious when I say I stopped watching basketball considerably because of the refereeing in that series.

• The Artist says:

That dude’s going to jail, its just a question of how long.

• Ivan says:

I notice more and more especially in football, that even if your a wreck off the field, if your teammates love ya if you produce and ya cool. Yet TO is as clean as a whistle off the off the field and players hate his guts.

32. Charlie says:

Anyone else find it ridiculous that the yanks DFA’d Jackson and Hacker instead and not fuckin Angel Berroa?

• Mike Pop says:

No. Hacker and Jackson did not have real futures on the Yankees anyways. Also, gotta make sure Alex is okay.

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Isn’t that what Pena is for? He got most of the playing time anyway when Alex was hurt. He was by far the best replacement. It’s not like Berroa got much playing time in the first place.

• I think they’re hanging on to Angel as a “just in case” until they absolutely do not need him.

• andrew says:

Agreed, but just to be devil’s advocate here… couldn’t they have DFA’ed Berroa, and then if Alex got hurt again in the next weeks they could sign Durham, Grudz, or even Berroa again and then DFA Hacker/Jackson at that point?

• A.D. says:

Or called up Duncan/Russo/Malec.

• whozat says:

Well…Durham and Grudz are second basemen, so…there’s that problem. And what if Berroa had signed somewhere else? So, your contingency plans make no sense.

• andrew says:

Berroa is not a 3rd basemen, and neither is Pena, but they managed to play 3rd. Remember, this is an emergency plan if ARod goes down again, which isn’t likely. So I wouldn’t say my contingency plan makes no sense. If ARod goes down, we currently have Berroa (not a 3rd basemen) backing up Pena (not a third basemen). Would it really be THAT much worse having Grudz (not a third basemen) or Durham (not a third basemen) to back up Pena instead of Berroa, which would allow us to save a young arm or two that may contribute at some point? Seems reasonable to me.

• steve (different one) says:

it’s the middle of may and those guys haven’t played since last season. no spring training.

i’m guessing as a short term fix, they’d be next to worthless.

• steve (different one) says:

no, that’t not what Pena is for (right now). if Alex has a setback and can’t play the field, Pena is the starting 3Bman.

which means you still need a backup infielder.

i’m guessing they give Berroa until after the 3 games on turf. bet Alex doesn’t start all 3 at 3B.

it was time for the Yankees to clear some space on the 40 man. it’ll help them going forward.

as for right now, be patient for another few days.

• The Artist says:

Well if Humberto Sanchez, Ivan Nova, JB Cox or Alan Horne are any guide, they’ll have both of them back by next week.

Kind of makes me depressed that nobody wants our pitchers.

• A.D. says:

Well we don’t have any of those guys on the 25 man roster, so why would another team?

• The Artist says:

They have to have been on our 40 man to need to be DFA’d in the first place, and would need to stay on their 40 man for a year if they want to keep them.

• whozat says:

You just listed a bunch of guys that are returning from injury and one who was in A ball last year that needed to crack an MLB roster to avoid getting returned. The Twins took Jason Jones. “Our pitchers” make up 2/5 of the Pirates rotation right now.

Though JB Cox may legitimately never come back at all, it’s true. I dunno…it’s hard for me to get upset that no one wants to add our 25th best pitcher to their major league roster right now.

33. Jamal G. says:

House is simply amazing.

34. Oh and I said this on Opening Night and I’ll say it again: the Braves’ blue unis look like Little League jerseys.

35. Steve H says:

So when is BJ Upton going to turn it on? I’m about to trade Holliday and Blalock for him, I need the steals and he’s bound to break out soon, right?

36. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh and one way for the Mets to not lose is to keep starters until the 8th. Then JJ Putz and K-Rod should do the rest…
    And see they put a closer in teh 8th! That’s how important it is! The Yankees could learn a thing or two from the Mets.

37. Mike Axisa says:

It slays me that Omir Santos is a semi-regular for the Mets. That dude flat out sucks, and always has.

38. Jamal G. says:

FOX 5 News just showed two identical pictures of a dog in a NY Giants cap and said there was a secret message in one of them. They also said that terrorists can now use photographs against us by – I assume – transporting secret messages within them.

Beware the JPEG!!1!11!1!

39. Manimal says:

This is definitely the news I want to hear right now. I have a soar throat and I feel kind of crappy and now I hear there is a confirmed case of H1N1 at my school. Wonderful.

40. Bobby Cox is still one of the best managers in the game.

41. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Brian Baisley with the promotion, and he continues to rake.

Aahh to be 26 and in High A.

42. 27 this year says:

You know what’s funny.

Halladay had a 5-1 record with a 2.40 ERA against us last year. God I hate their manager for setting him up to vs us all six series against the Blue Jays. 5-1!!!!!!!

43. Greg G. says:

Hey, how about Brackman tonight: 8 7 2 2 1 9!

44. A.D. says:

Brackman dealing.

45. ESPN just totally ripped on Joba and CC…ayayay.

I’m going back to hockey.

46. Drew says:

Phillips thinks the Mets are lacking players like Pedroia and Youkilis because they grind it out. Then they questioned whether or not the Mets have enough grit to win.

47. Jamal G. says:

So, what have I learned tonight? Nothing much, just that “The Edge” and “grit” is what’s most important, apparently.

• A.D. says:

I love how during the 6 game winning streak there was no issue with the Mets leadership, but lose a game, bam

48. Jamal G. says:

Hey, Hershiser, Jason Bay gave back more runs on bad defense (-8.2 UZR) than Manny Ramirez (-3.0 UZR) did this season. Shut your dumb fucking mouth.

But Jason bay is white and quiet, so nobody cares.

• Drew says:

Yeah, Manny made the other Dodgers “concentration levels” go down.

• Dear Jamal,

I feel your pain (/Bill Clinton). I really do. But you have to realize that ESPN is allergic to research and actual analysis. If you accept this, your life will be like…8 times easier.

Sincerely,

Matt.

• A.D. says:

Manny Ramirez = 2 WS rings & team has almost always made the playoffs (I believe only missed it twice).

Bay = 1 playoff appearance after being picked up midseason.

Soo who helps a team win?

49. Drew says:

Did you guys hear Phillips earlier saying that Santana’s essence and the feeling he portrays are why the Mets don’t score when he pitches. Orel’s reaction was funny, he was like “can you explain that?”

50. Jamal G. says:

Heh, the ESPN ticker says “Mets fail to provide run support and defense; fall to the Braves.” Can the game at least finish first?

51. I suffered pain.

I needed law.

52. [...] LC pointed this out in the open thread last night, but I wanted to expand on it a bit. First, here’s what [...]