May

RAB Community Standards

The three of us have been extremely fortunate with RAB. The site has become more popular than I think we ever imagined, and our readership continues to grow by the day. More readers means more comments, and unfortunately more comments means more problems. We implore everyone – whether you’re a seasoned RAB vet or a total newbie – to review our Commenting Guidelines. We don’t have many rules here, but the ones we do have are important and are enforced.

We understand the Yanks are in the middle of a brutal slump, but we have to keep things in perspective. They’ve played just 28 games, not 128. The three of use are every bit as frustrated with the team as you, but that frustration doesn’t give you a green light to personally attack your fellow readers. We’ve always asked that if you disagree with something someone’s written, attack the idea, not the person. This goes for everyone, not just those new to the site or others who some may perceive as favorite.

(Note by Joe: Read this article, at least the part until he pimps his book. No one’s going to take the advice, but I figured I’d throw it out there in an attempt to reduce the personal attacks in the comments.)

To paraphrase a long lost commentor, River Ave. Blues is more or less for the intelligent fan. We’ve been lucky enough to establish a strong community of rational fans who are willing to defend their beliefs with facts rather than spout off nonsense based on pure emotion. If someone posts something idiotic, don’t go out of your way to call it that. Most people will silently agree with you, and responding to trash only leads to more trash.

This is just a friendly reminder from Ben, Joe and myself. We thank everyone who’s made RAB part of their lives, and we look forward to watching the team turn things around and finishing the year strong.

1. jsbrendog says:

implore

2. “If someone posts something idiotic, don’t go out of your way to call it that. Most people will silently agree with you, and responding to trash only leads to more trash.”

x10

3. JoeSit.(ragman) says:

Good thoughts guys!!!
    We all need to remember that regardless of all our thoughts, theories, and opinions they are just that. Professionals are running “our” team wheter we agree or not. Lets us all enjoy, ride thru the rough times and look for #27

4. Yankeegirl49 says:

Thanks guys, you do a great job here.
    Heated discussions are great but heated discussions that consist of attacks should stay on the Mlb/Yankees and trillion of other places out there.

5. Slugger27 says:

a post with a hitman reference = awesome post

6. dkidd says:

everyone is frustrated with losing and biblical rain. when the team starts winning and the sun starts shining, the tone of the comments will imporve

7. dkidd says:

and yes i meant to say “imporve”

8. Well said and taken to heart.

A lot of these Yankee “fans” are really pissing me off with their irrationality, but I can’t let them get me so agitated that I lose my temper and start dropping F-bombs and personal insults.

I apologize for going overboard in the game thread last night. I anticipate participating less in said game threads going forward, as they draw out idiocy like a flame draws moths. It sucks for me, but I don’t want to disrespect Mike, Joe, and Ben by turning every gamethread into a shouting match.

9. Guess I should tone down the f-bombs, huh?

10. Jackson says:

It’s unfortunate that work limits my ability to actually participate in the discussion on most posts. Not that I would really bring much to the table, but it’s fun for me. The game threads are the only ones where I can read and comment in a timely fashion but those are the threads the attract the “fans” who seem to get more joy out of slapping the kiss of death on the Yankees and telling everyone how much they suck than actually rooting for the team.

11. Mike, you’re so wise. You’re like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

12. V says:

I’m as guilty as anyone, and will try to stop responding to Lanny/’Voice of Reason’, etc.

I just wish I could click a button and keep them from showing up.

13. Matt ACTY says:

Pop and I can still hurl lame insults at each other though, right?

14. Tampa Yankee says:

I think the overall, and even more so, recent success on the Yanks has spoiled a bunch of young “fans” to the point where a 5-game losing streak brings out the “we should have signed so and so!1!!111!” (to me that’s one of the dumbest things people say because just because the Yanks have all this $ to throw around, it doesn’t mean other players have to take it) or “fire the pitching coach and manager!11!!1!”.

Think about it, a high school senior at the age of 18 would have seen the team finish 1st or 2nd in the ALE every year from 1993-2007, 13 straight playoff appearances until last year and 4 rings in 6 WS appearances.

I am so glad I stumbled upon RAB, for the most part it seems everyone is logical about the success and failures of this team. Mike, Joe and Ben, you all do a great job, keep up the good work.

• IMHO, this breeds “we should win a ring every year especially with all our great resources!11!”

You know, I think I could almost tolerate Yankee fans thinking we need to win a ring every year if they didn’t think we needed to win every single GAME every single night.

Or thinking that having a 200M payroll means that it’s inexcusable to not have a all-star caliber 4th string catcher sitting by the ready in Scranton.

High expectations are healthy if difficult to meet. Unrealistic expectations are damaging to one’s sanity and well-being.

• Matt ACTY says:

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been pretty spoiled as a Yankee fan. I started following baseball real closely at age…8? Yeah, 8. I went to my first game in ’95 and loved the Yankees ever since. All I’m used to is incredible success and perhaps my expectations are too high. To combat this, I’ve tried to be as objective as possible in my analysis of this team. I do think they can win the whole thing just about every year, but if they don’t, I’m not gonna consider the season a failure. Take ’08, for example. If I were the fan I was in middle school or high school even, I think I would’ve flipped out and had a fuckin’ breakdown. But, with more maturity and perspective, I realized an 89 win season with that many injuries is a pretty good season, especially in the toughest division in sports (as far as I’m concerned).

• thurdonpaul says:

15. J.W. says:

I almost never comment mostly because I lack the cleverness to hang with the cool folks in internet-land and I lack the anger and ignorance to hang with the un-cool ones. So at the risk of sounding incredibly naive I have the following question. Isn’t it, often, the goal of some of the meaner-spritited internet-trollers out there to simply piss people off just for the sake of it? With that it mind, isn’t it most effective to do our best to ignore those people? This is cheesy I know, but we can’t control the jerks, but we can control how we let them make us feel. If we ignore the jackasses, we prevent them from getting there kicks, no?

• J.W. says:

uhh their kicks that is, not there kicks.

• jsbrendog says:

easier said than done my friend. but in theory, completely

• J.W. says:

Oh, totally easier said than done. And i’m not trying to say anything like “this is what we must do” or anything, people should react however they like. I’m just saying it’d be cool if the nice people on this site didn’t have to deal with the jerk ones and maybe this would be one way to imagine potentially ridding the site of some of them. I think conflict can be fun as long as certain boundaries are respected, but ideally it’d be the kind of conflict you can laugh about over a beer afterward.

16. Jake H says:

I think right now we are all so frustrated by this team that we aren’t communicating as the type of people we really are. I try to remember that 9 out of 10 posters here are good fans and know what they are talking about. I would rather them have this bad 28 game stretch now instead of September.

17. Whitey14 says:

From my perspective, the more you guys crap on each other, the less time you spend crapping on us ;-)

• Elle says:

You guys run a great blog with a great comments section, thank you for that.

OT: I have had a stomach flu the whole time the Yankees have been on this losing streak. Not sure whether to blame them or blame myself, but either one is more fun than remembering that correlation does not equal causation.