May

Yanks considering trade for DeRosa

Via MLBTR, we learn that the Yankees might be considering a run at Mark DeRosa. With the Indians struggling, they could use DeRosa as a bit of trade bait, getting something useful for him before his contract expires after this season. Says Buster Olney: “One of the looming shadows circling below is that of the New York Yankees, who are weighing options and haven’t decided whether to take a shot at the versatile veteran.” So should the Yankees really get involved in talks for a utility infielder?

Make no mistake: DeRosa is a better option than any of the three current ones (Pena, Ransom, Berroa). He can also play the outfield in a pinch, and can do so reasonably well (11.5 UZR/150 in 451.2 innings in 2008). He can also play every position in the infield, and for the most part with competence — though his UZR is a bit down this year at second and third. His .333 OBA and .446 SLG make him an above-average utility player, if not average starter. Given the current state of the Yanks bench, should they make an offer?

Clearly he would represent an upgrade. His versatility would also help out the cases of Xavier Nady and Hideki Matsui, who figure to be DH-only options. It would allow the Yanks some pop off the bench if they needed it, while also covering them better in case of injury. With a 12-man pitching staff, the Yanks have a 5-man bench, one of whom will DH. This looks like a pretty ideal scenario:

Molina-DeRosa-Nady-Matsui-Gardner

Eitther Nady or Matsui DHs, leaving the other to pinch hit. Exactly who he’ll pinch hit for is another matter, since the lineup will be strong one through nine. Perhaps Swisher if he’s mired in a slump (won’t it be strange to see Swish hitting ninth when Melky and Posada are back?). Perhaps Gardner if he starts some games over Swish. In any case, this would also allow Gardner to pinch run, and then DeRosa to take over in the field. In other words, adding DeRosa would add some serious flexibility to the Yanks lineup. Not only is he competent in the field, but he has a major-league bat, which is more than we can say about Berroa, Ransom, and Pena.

Of course, the price tag is the issue. The Indians aren’t just going to give away DeRosa. He’ll likely be in demand by other contenders, so the Yanks will have to pony up a decent prospect. Since his name comes up every time we talk about non-Ajax prospects, would Zack McAllister do the trick? If he would, should the Yanks part with him for 1/2 a year of a utility infielder, even if he deepens the bench? It’s hard to justify that. After all, the Yanks could stick with the all-glove Pena as a replacement when Gardner pinch-runs for an infielder.

Yes, adding Mark DeRosa would be a nice luxury for the Yanks, but it is not at all necessary. If they can get him for a prospect of a lesser caliber than McAllister, they should consider it. However, if the price is Z-Mac or higher, they should probably back off. After all, we’re talking about a half year of a bench player vs. six controlled years of a mid-rotation starter. Which is not to say that is guaranteed for McAllister, but it is to say that dealing B+ prospects for bench players might not be the best idea.

1. Can DeRosa pitch the 7th or 8th? If not, I’m not so high on this deal. I think the Yanks could put together a good enough bench from parts in their system not named Angel Berroa.

2. GG says:

Not worth whatever his price tag will be. Lets just go with Pena.

• Yes worth it, depending entirely on what his price tag would be.

I won’t trade Zach McAllister for the marginal upgrade and roster flexibility that DeRosa presents over the Peña/Berroa/Ransom/Gardner/Linden grabbag of bench options.

I would trade Zack Kroenke, Ivan Nova, and Wady Rufino for him, though. What is the price? That’s the question.

• Greg says:

Derossa? Are you kidding? Not worth the price. Pena is doing a fine job and can play a slick 3B, SS, and 2B. As for the bench, slotting Molina back in is nonsense. Cervelli has made him irrelevant. Cervelli can do everything Molina can do, and most things better at this point. He can bunt, run and calls a good game. Plus he has oodles of energy, while Molina looks like he’s happy to just be collecting a paycheck. Pitchers and teammates love Cervelli. Molina has to go, or we have to carry three catchers. Sending Cervelli down would be a blow to this team.

Bench should be: Nady, Gardner, Pena, Cervelli..(assuming Swisher and Matsui are starting that day) That bench has some pop (Nady) speed (Gardner) defense (Pena) and the requisite back-up catcher. What’s the problem?

3. A.D. says:

Since there’s been a few teams interested in DeRosa the asking price is almost certainly too high.

4. Dan says:

no way, if yaour going to give uo a prospect, its gotta be for a bullpen arm

5. zs190 says:

Do we know what his pricetag is? The Indians gave up 3 prospects that were in the bottom 1/3 of their top 30 for DeRosa, if I recall correctly. He hasn’t hit as well as he did as a Cub and his defense slipped a little. Would George Kontos and WDLR work for them? I think I would consider doing that as a Yanks side of the deal, what do you guys think?

6. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

I like DeRosa but the asking price is gonna be high.

7. Mike Axisa says:

The Cubs got three eh prospects for DeRosa: a reliever in AAA, a reliever in Hi-A, and a starter in Lo-A. I don’t see why Cleveland should expect more in return than that, especially since the acquiring team will only be getting DeRosa for what, 3-4 months?

Kontos seems like plenty, if not too much, especially if the Yanks take on all of DeRosa’s salary.

8. If Z-Mack went to the Indians for just DeRosa, I’d be mighty pissed.

9. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Veras,ramirez and if we can some how package berroa.

• I hear we can still get Pujols for IPK and Melky while we’re at it.

• Tom Zig says:

Pujols + Wainwright + Rasmus

If they are lucky we’ll throw in the diabolical duncan duo. But they have to take on their salaries, or no dice.

• If they are lucky we’ll throw in the diabolical duncan duo.

No, I want to keep Shelley and Eric.

Let’s deal IPK and Melky for Pujols, Chris Duncan, AA reliever Eduardo Sanchez, and Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan.

We get closer and closer each day to my dream of a Yankee 25 man roster populated with nothing but guys named “Duncan” or “Sanchez”.

10. Mattingly's Love Child says:

This seems like a retarded fabrication. Olney is the king of floating around ideas/rumors that have no basis in reality. There are no B prospects that I would feel comfortable giving up for DeRosa. He doesn’t make the Yankees appreciably better this year, and then he’s gone.

I hate this idea. I like the idea of DeRosa on the bench, but not for anything of value. Therefore, to me it is crazy talk.

• He doesn’t make the Yankees appreciably better this year, and then he’s gone.

I beg to differ. The upgrade from Angel Berroa and/or Ramiro Pena to Mark DeRosa is substantial.

• V says:

Not substantial enough to trade a B prospect or better.

• V says:

He’s also not cheap for a bench guy.

• Reggie C. says:

DeRosa simply doesn’t make the team THAT much better to justify losing a McAllister or even Kontos. How many plate appearances would he even accrue?? Matsui may have found his bottom. Nady’s going to come back. Pena can field well enough to justify his weak bat. There’s just not much room for DeRosa to impact this ballclub.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

That is true. But how much playing time would any of those 3 see? Though a huge upgrade, how big a difference would it make if DeRosa isn’t playing regularly. If the team is going like they are right now, he seems superfluous. The team seems to only need a good glove (Pena), and a good bat (Nady).

Now if ARod is really hurting more than he is letting on…..well then that changes everything.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

BTW, nice job of playing devil’s advocate. It’s as if none of us read your first comment in the thread…

• Well, I’d say no to this trade with the asking price of Z-Mac. I’d happily take DeRosa for just about anything reasonable.

• Zack says:

I agree, if the price is right then I welcome him. But if he comes he’ll get what maybe 6-8 ABs a week? (1 start and a few PH appearances)

• AndrewYF says:

His value comes from the insurance he provides more than anything. What happens if Matsui goes down with a knee injury, and Nady needs surgery? DeRosa sure looks a lot better at DH than Damon and having Gardner in CF.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

I guess it all depends on what is reasonable. I wouldn’t necessarily give up Kontos or WDLR. Maybe I overvalue them, but I could see them both being important contributors to the bullpen in the near future.

I don’t see what the Yanks have of value outside of them that Cleveland would want. Maybe I have Bill Stoneman disease and think all of our prospects are worth too much….

11. V says:

Pass if it’s anything higher than Claggett + Olbrychowski + Low-A pitcher.

12. Reggie C. says:

I’d rather save Z-Mac for the eventual trade for Huston Street.

DeRosa is a fine player, and he’d be a nice addition to the bench. Its simply a matter of asking price.

13. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

changin subject for a minute how come the yankees dont air minor league games like before.They should at least show minor league games on day off.

14. Jake H says:

For Kontos sure thing. No for Z-Mac

15. Mike HC says:

Ok. I am back for more (not that anyone cares). Commenting is just too entertaining. I am going to try to not take these comments too seriously anymore.

I agree with Ben and Joe here. If the Yanks have to give up anything of value, don’t make the trade. As long as our infielders stay healthy, there is no point in reaching for a utility back up. If at any point one of them does get injured, then maybe the Yanks should start to look at legitimate options. On the other hand, the Yanks survived a month without A-Rod, using Pena, and played about .500 ball.

16. JP says:

Anybody’s worth it, if “it” is the right price.

And since I have no idea how to value prospects, I have no idea how to evaluate a DeRosa deal.

I’ll tell ya what I don’t like – he’s 34. Wouldn’t you hate to spend a prospect on the guy, and have him go down with a groin injury or a hammy two weeks into his Yankee-dom?

If you’re giving up a prospect for a 34 year old player, he’d better be a proven guy that you know you’re going to get something out of. How much use would they get from him? Are they covertly addressing something other than the utility infielder situation (i.e., do they think Swisher is really a .180 hitter and that they need another outfield option)?

• Bo says:

Good thing we don’t acquire players based on the assumption that they’d be hurt in 2 weeks.

• Thanks for that utterly worthless and pointless comment that served no purpose and didn’t even attempt to add value to the dialogue, but was instead a useless, disparaging, meanspirited and altogether assholish non sequitur.

Nobody is saying that we shouldn’t trade for Mark DeRosa because we’re under the assumption he’d be hurt in two weeks. We’re saying we shouldn’t give up any considerable value for DeRosa, because he’s on the wrong side of 30 and players on the wrong side of 30 carry a higher injury risk.

Your stupid little quasi-barb has no value, other than to underscore the perpetual superfluous negativity and nihilism rampant in your general theme of typical valueless quasi-barbs. You’re not pithy-full, you’re pitiful. As always, thanks for nothing, Sal/Bo/Grant/Lanny. May Mo have mercy on your soul.

• Thing I don’t get:

1) Why anyone listens to Mike Francessa any more. He thinks you are an idiot. Why would you listen to someone who thinks you are beneath him, even though he has demonstrated no trace of intelligent thought in the past decade?

2) Why anyone takes WasWatching seriously. Apparently the Yankees are a mediocre team if you selectively remove wins from their record. Also, they’re mired in a losing streak after losing to Philly on Friday.

3) Why anyone bothers to respond to Bo’s comments. Let them be. He doesn’t respond anyway.

• JP says:

Not sure what you’re saying there, Bo. They absolutely DO acquire players based on, among other things, whether they think the player is and will remain healthy. This is the whole point behind the pre-trade physicals, etc.

17. Mike HC says:

DeRosa even has a chance of stealing away right field if Nady can’t play, and Swish continues to slump/play like crap. If the Yanks feel DeRosa is a legitimate option for a starting outfield spot, plus the utility role, it makes the deal seem a lot better. I have really not seen DeRosa play too much, so I can’t opine as to whether he can fill that role.

18. Dave says:

I’d be in favor of trading for a guy like Frank Catalanatto. He was on a minor league contract this year, so he couldn’t cost much. He would be a huge upgrade lefty bat off the bench. The Brewers are playin well though, so might not be willing to get rid of him.

19. Mike HC says:

This deal would be similar to the Nady/Marte deal last year. Can the Yanks also come up with a reliever outta this as well and give up a similar package. I know the Indians don’t exactly have pitching to spare though.

• Zack says:

Indians could possibly look to move Betancourt (3.35m this year and 5m club option next year) and he has a good track record, just sucked last year.

• whozat says:

His ERA is better this year, but his walks are up even more thus far this year than they were last year.

I don’t know that we need another reliever that walks too many guys :-)

• Zack says:

In his defense 5 of his walks are intentional and he’s always had good control throughout his career

• Mike HC says:

As always, it would depend on the asking price to include Betancourt. In theory, these deals are all great. In reality, the Yanks will have to give up something of value. Ohlendorf has pitched decently well this year, albeit in a small sample size, and I believe Tabata is hitting relatively well in the minors. It is not like we gave up nothing to get Nady/Marte, neither of which has helped the Yanks at all this year so far.

• whozat says:

Tabata’s hurt, and Ohly’s pitching decently in the NL, where he gets to throw against the Padres, Nats, Giants, Rockies and DBacks.

20. Sizeole says:

Apropos of nothing, DeRo grew up in New Jersey and attended Bergen Catholic High School.

21. Bo says:

Derosa would be a huge upgrade for the bench and he’d get plenty of at bats especially with the way Swisher is hitting. Who knows what the cost will be. You can speculate all you want but you don’t have a clue as to who the Indians value and why in regards to minor league systems.

22. dan says:

Kontos seems to fit the bill. I don’t think I’d give up someone better than him, especially since the Yankees will be taking on the ~$4M still owed to DeRosa.

23. Stuckey says:

NO WAY should the Yanks consider trading Z-Mac. Just think of how foolish the Yanks would look if he went on to become another Ian Kennedy, Jeff Marquez, or Alan Horne…

Foolish I tells ya.

24. Tom Zig says:

Is DeRosa like Miguel Cairo but actually good?

25. Charlie says:

I really hope the yanks don’t do this deal, but the way the yanks trade away prospects for aging vets, i wouldn’t be suprised if they did do it. In a perfect world, the indians GM would be baked during negotiations and give us Derosa for jose veras, edwar ramirez, and angel berroa. Unless that happens, i hope the yanks don’t make a trade here.

• JP says:

I’m surprised everyone is ready to dump Edwar and Jose. Yeah, they suck, often, but who are the better replacements? Melancon?

Both of them get strikeouts when they’re pitching well. One of them gets hot around the playoffs, they’d surely be good to have.

26. The one who signs his name -Scott says:

“dealing B+ prospects for bench players might not be the best idea”

AMEN

Don’t give up on Pena! He has some real promise….

27. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Isn’t Mark Grudzelanik sitting at home still, collecting dust? I could have forgotten him signing somewhere. For about 200 at-bats, isn’t a flyer on a guy like that more reasonable than giving up any sort of prospect for a mid-30′s utility guy?

Anything higher than the caliber of pitching we gave the Angels for Molina and the answer would be “no” from me for Mark Derosa.

• Isn’t Mark Grudzelanik sitting at home still, collecting dust? I could have forgotten him signing somewhere.

Yup. He’s still curiously unemployed. Maybe he just doesn’t want to play anymore and is hanging them up. Maybe he was on the juice and is waiting for the stuff to clear his system.

Or, maybe in a few weeks, he’ll show up in Big Bank Hank’s box mid-game and Suzyn Waldman can go all orgasmic over his presence.

OH, MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS I’VE EVER SEEN!!!! MARK GRUDZIELANEK STANDING RIGHT IN HANK STEINBRENNER’S BOX, ANNOUNCING HE’S GOING TO SIGN WITH THE YANKEES!!!!!!

• jsbrendog says:

didnt we trade kennard for jomo?

28. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Also, my #1 choice for utility infielder: Ramiro Pena.

29. Manimal says:

One Word.

Ian Patrick Kennedy.

30. JeffG says:

Some could like this trade because they have written Swisher off, don’t believe Nady will see the field this year, think Pena does not play well enough for a util inf.

I believe that Swish is going to turn it around soon, I hold hope that Nady can play RF after the ASB, and I think Pena saves runs and as a late inning replacement or someone that spells our regulars. He is doing a good job by my book(even if he doesn’t hit so much).

I like the team we have and it doesn’t really need to be messed with outside of our bullpen that has given me mini-heart-attacks this year. And truth be told, I still believe in the pen. I guess what I am trying to say is that I’m holding steady at a 9 spot on the confidence poll.

• A.D. says:

This trade definitely makes sense if the Yankees know Nady isn’t playing the field this season & want/need to give A-Rod plenty of rest days.

Otherwise it only makes sense if the price is right, and with other teams seemingly having a greater need for DeRosa’s services, I’d guess the Yankees would get outbid/be forced to part with players they don’t want to.

31. Bryan W says:

Hey if the Indians want Mcallister for DeRosa then the Yanks can toss in Veras and maybe George Kontos too and tell them to send back Matt LaPorta and Rafael Betancourt.

32. Will Moller says:

Honestly, DeRosa is a utility infielder who hasn’t proven to proficient at playing the infield.

UZR doesn’t think too highly of his defense just about anywhere other than RF (+20.5/150 games). In reasonable sample sizes at 2B, SS and 3B he’s been decidedly mediocre (-7.5, -8.4, -6.5 respectively) and in a tiny sampling at 1B he’s been a butcher (-22.3).

For more analysis, click on my name.

• Lanny says:

He wouldn’t be here for his infield defense. He would be here for his bat and versatility.

• DCR says:

RF is probably where he would play most of his games. I could Rodriguez getting some starts at DH at DeRosa playing third sometimes.

I would love it if they traded for him. See how he performs and then possibly bring him back.

33. Bryan V says:

I love the idea, but until we get an idea of what the Indians would want in return I’m not about to get into it.

34. Drew says:

Wake me when we trade for Street.

35. Brendo says:

If Cashman doesn’t get a bullpen arm in here quick he should be fired for incompetence.

They can find a bench bat anyplace and anytime they need. DeRosa is a nice luxury.

Street or someone like that is needed.

36. kimo says:

I don’t even understand the Yanks’ interest in DeRosa. And some of the trade proposals on this message board are ridiculous. TWO good pitching prospects (i.e. McAllister and DeLaRosa) for 1/2 yr of an overpriced, aging utility guy? Some of you need to grow a set of frontal lobes!!
    The Yanks need a reliever. They could use a guy with a little more pop to backup at 3B. Ramiro Pena is an excellent middle IF back-up.
    My idea? Offer George Kontos, Juan Miranda, Zach Kroenke, and Shelly Duncan to the Colorado Rockies for Huston Street and Garret Atkins.
    Atkins has stunk this year, but is a .290 lifetime hitter with pretty decent power who’s just 29.
    Street would be a good bullpen arm. the Yanks would be providing the Rockies with big-time salary relief, a starter, a reliever, and two potentially good bats (neither of whom is ever going to get a shot with the Yankees). It’d make sense for both sides.

37. Iris Brito says:

Great stuff. I say if the price is right do it.

Also, can you please add me onto you blog roll? Here’s the link:

I’ll have you linked. Thanks in advance.

38. indiansfan22 says:

The Indians likely won’t trade DeRosa for a prospect. They want major league ready pitching. They still believe they can run at the weak division, which actually could be possible after sweeping the Rays. Also, I think the Yanks would be much improved with DeRosa who is hot as of late. Last 30 games he is hitting (.317 20R 5HR 16RBI) But like I said, they want someone who will contribute now, and that currently isn’t Zach McAllister.

• That’s fair enough. I’m just not sure what kind of major league pitching the Indians will actually get for DeRosa.

• indiansfan22 says:

Well I would not be surprised to see even a reliever, though they’d prefer a 3,4 starter. The bullpen has an era over 5 and the indians are in flux with the rotation due to injuries. It’s almost they’ll take what they can get.

• Some call me...tim says:

Give them Z-Mac…and the Ghost of Kei Igawa.

• Tony says:

If DeRosa himself nets a 3/4 starter, I’ll be rather surprised. I can’t imagine they’ll get better value than what they gave up for DeRosa (although Archer is looking like an excellent get). A potential 3/4 starter, sure, I can buy that, but a ready 3/4 starter? So many teams need pitching …

Maybe they’ll try to demand a Mark Melancon and an A ball talent. I could see that.

39. Ray says:

Wouldn’t we get compensation when/if DeRosa leaves as a free agent? or would he not qualify as a Type A/B anywhere.

• Tony says:

I think there’s a shot that DeRosa ends up being a decent change Type B free agent. Type A is probably unlikely – but you never know.

The Cubs netted 3 arms for him. Chris Archer was the “upside” arm, and he’s turned in an excellent season at Low A right now. John Gaub is at AA, looking like a possible LOOGY, and Stevens is a possible big league middle reliever. The price shouldn’t be higher than that, and if it is, you back away.

Thus, what would that entail? I agree with the above saying that McAllister wouldn’t be worth it. I don’t think you send over a B level talent for DeRosa (hard for me to call McAllister a B+, though I am a huge fan, as he doesn’t really profile as a front of the rotation arm, and more as a middle of the rotation innings eater in a positive scenario). I think a couple C+ type talents might do the trick, particularly if he has a shot at Type A.

A lot of teams figure to be in on him, though.

40. ha! says:

this discussion is moot – the indians have repeatedly indicated they want “major league ready” pitching. they already have a boatload of underperforming pitching “prospects”.