Jul

2009 All-Star Game Thread

2009 MLB All Star Game LogoLast night’s Homerun Derby was about as exciting as having your teeth pulled, so we can only hope tonight’s game is a bit more fun to watch. Last year’s 15-inning marathon was actually pretty entertaining, especially once Terry Francona and Clint Hurdle began to watch nervously as they tried to figure out what the hell they were going to do with the pitching staffs if the game kept going.

The American League has won every All-Star Game since 1996, save for that tie in Milwaukee a few years back. Looking over the rosters, it seems like we could be in for another AL win because of the quality and experience of the pitching and the depth on the bench. Remember, it’s the reserves that usually decide this thing. The starting position players get their two at-bats and hit the showers. And you know, this game decides home field advantage in the World Series. It’s dumb, but them’s the rules.

Unfortunately, Evan Longoria has an infected finger and can’t go tonight. He’s been replaced on the roster by Chone Figgins. For shame, Longoria was one of the few players I actually wanted to see. Anyway, here’s the starting lineups:

American League

4. Ryan Braun, RF
5. Raul Ibanez, LF
6. David Wright, 3B
7. Shane Victorino, CF
8. Yadier Molina, C
9. Tim Lincecum, SP

I’m not saying he belongs in the game, but I’ll miss seeing A-Rod wear those funny white cleats. The game is supposed to start at 8pm, but you know first pitch won’t be until 8:20 at the earliest after the starting lineups and all the unnecessary bells and whistles that’ll be attached to this thing. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver have the call. Enjoy the game.

Graphic from Flickr user N i c o_

321 Comments

1. Go American League.

But, seriously, I’m just hoping the game keeps me awake.

2. JimT says:

I know that people on this blog obsess over having Yankees players represented and Red Sox players left off the All Star roster but having Arod on this team would be a travesty.

3. Ivan says:

Well hopefully the AS game is at least watchable.

4. Riddering says:

Last night was a great reminder of how little I dig the long ball. I’ll be so glad to see balls and strikes again, let alone singles, doubles, and triples.

I was so bored I started calling the non-HR hits. “Popped-up!” “That’s a double at least.” And so on.

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Axisa, I know you obsess over the DSL, what can you tell me about Yeicok Calderon. The man is mashing the ball.

6. Ivan says:

Did any body read the article on the Daily news today about A-Rod not being the top player in baseball and etc?

I understand right now Pujols and Mauer has surpassed him, but they had players like Manny and ichiro over A-Rod. I was like are you kidding me? Ichiro?

7. yanke1313 says:

If Hamilton made it, A-rod should have.

8. Maddon said Mo is his closer; I’m happy

9. The Artist says:

Why The Yankees Should Trade Jesus Montero

Sorry, I’m all for making a Halladay deal and would even include one of our young MLB pitchers, but Montero is my one and only untouchable. Its a position of depth, that should be something that can be worked around.

• I saw the article. I understand his points. I disagree and agree with you.

• The Artist says:

But you don’t agree with me enough to call Kim Jones/Adam the Bullshitter and argue for our cause? Then what good is it, I ask you.

• Ivan says:

Yeah. Look anybody can be traded if ur a prospect especially for a elite player like Halladay.

Nevertheless, the yanks have depth in the C position neither of those players have Montero ceiling. Not that close either. Romine has skills no doubt, but at least wit the bat, Montero beats him rather easily.

Hitting prospects like Montero Don’t often especially if your the yanks.

• The Artist says:

Most organizations put defense first at the Catching position, and would like Romine more than Montero if they need a catcher and think Jesus will wind up in LF/1B, as most scouts do. Could be a better fit.

• Halfway through the article, Mashmore says:

There are people reading this who wouldn’t trade Montero straight up for Halladay.

There’s a word for those people. The word is “smart”.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s insane. If Toronto offered Halladay for Montero straight up, the Yanks would absolutely take it. As good as Montero looks, he’s still a 19-yr old in AA with major questions about his defense.

• Agreed. And I’m a huge Montero fan. But straight up you don’t even think about it.

• RAB poster says:

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

But I hate admitting it and hope it doesn’t come to that.

• As good as Halladay looks, he’s still 32 years old and we still already have CC Sabathia and A.J Burnett already under contract and fronting our rotation and CMW, Pettitte, Joba, and Hughes as excellent options to fill out the back of our rotation.

• Ivan says:

Would the Blue Jays trade Halladay for Montero straight up?

• RAB poster says:

It’s more than that. Halladay has done more than looked good. He has dominated in a division containing the best lineups and hitters in the game and made them look silly consistently.

If it comes to that, you have to do it.

• The Artist says:

David Cone was 32 when we got him from Toronto. How did that work out?

• We didn’t have to give up Jesus Montero to get David Cone.

Would you have been in favor of giving up Derek jeter or Bernie Williams to get David Cone? That’s the level of hitting prospect that Montero is right now.

• The Artist says:

I’ve already referred to Jesus as “my one and only untouchable” but that wasn’t in the context of a 1-1 deal. I’d have to do a straight up deal. We don’t know what Jesus will be as a MLB player, and if he winds up at 1B (as most scouts suspect) he will wind up blocked and being traded down the road anyway.

In any case, my point was that being age 32 isn’t something that should hold us back.

• Ivan says:

You have to make that deal. Montero for Halladay, gotta make that deal.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’d trade him in the right deal. Realistically, will his stock ever be any higher than it is right now? Doubt it.

• So would I. The “right deal” would be for a stud, dominant, top-five guy at his position who’s 24-26 years old, like Hanley Ramirez, Felix Hernandez, Grady Sizemore, Joe Mauer, Justin Upton… you know, the guys who aren’t available in trades.

The right deal would NOT be for a stud, dominant, top-five guy at his position who just turned 32 a couple of months ago. Because that’s 6-8 years of production we’re not going to get, because it’s gone.

• Ivan says:

You might have a point there.

• RAB poster says:

But Halladay is more than that. He dominates in the best division in baseball and is as close to a sure win as you’ll find in baseball. I think you can expect five or six years of reall, reasonable production from Halladay.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s also 6-8 years of production that the odds say the Yankees are unlikely to get because he’s just 19, no matter how good he looks.

Halladay for the next 1.5 yrs is as much as a sure thing as you can get.

• I’m worried about more than just the next 1.5 years.

• Mike Axisa says:

I understand that. But you’re talking about one singular prospect for one of the two or three best pitchers on the planet when the team is build to win right now.

• RAB poster says:

I love Montero. I think he’s going to be one of the best players in the entire game. I think he has a chance of being the next Piazza. I have said that I think his ceiling (as in, in the absolute best case scenario) he’s as high as Pujols.

But the fact is I have no idea how good he’ll be. I DO know how good Halladay will be. So in a straight up trade, and straight up is the only way I’d consider trading him, you do it.

• The team is built to win both now and later.

The “We’re in Win Now Mode” meme is a paradox. We have to both damn the future for the present and damn the present for the future at the same time.

• RAB poster says:

You’re right;if the trade is straight up we’re still in good shape because we have a ton of good catching prospects.

• RAB poster says:

You’re right. You don’t go NEAR Montero.

• Steve in PDX says:

What has he done in the majors? I would have to think anyone who has never seen action in a big league has to be available in the right deal. you never know, and assuming he’s the next big thing is well, dumb.

• RAB poster says:

I revised my position when I realized they were talking about a straight up deal.

• RAB poster says:

Not dumb. If you think that, you’re basically saying that rating prospects is essentially useless.

• Steve in PDX says:

Not useless, just very far from an exact science. Do we really need to run down the lists of monumental busts? Especially when you’re talking a guy who is 2 years away from being able to go out for a beer.

• RAB poster says:

You’re right, but he is still expected to be one of the best in the game. There are also some really high profile success stories.

• RAB poster says:

Unless it’s a straight up deal.

I love Montero. His bat is going to be a special one. He will be a star.

Probably.

Halladay will definitely be a star.

• A star who has already passed the typical prime years of an MLB player.

• Mike Axisa says:

A star who has already passed his typical prime years, but is still better than just about everyone.

• The Artist says:

But not a power pitcher who tries to miss bats, so there’s no reason to think he can’t keep doing what he does for at least a few more years.

He should also make AJ better, and maybe some other pitchers (Hughes) on the staff as well. His value goes even beyond his own performances, which are stellar.

• Accent Shallow says:

How useful is having a star on the pitching staff, really? If having a stud pitcher makes all your other pitchers better through his knowledge, wouldn’t Mo have helped the Yankees consistently have dominant bullpens?

• The Artist says:

No, Mo’s a one pitch pitcher with insane control. I’m sure he can help guys out, but he’s so unusual himself.

Halladay’s a fairly typical starter with a very advanced approach and off the charts work ethic. AJ raves about him, I’ll take his word for it.

• Accent Shallow says:

But taking that to its logical extreme, wouldn’t any pitcher with an advanced approach (what is this, exactly?) and great work ethic be good to have on staff?

How many MLB pitchers have poor approaches and poor work ethic? Obviously having someone setting an example can help, but it’s not going to turn, say, Sergio Mitre into a number 2.

I’m just skeptical about how much Halladay’s presence would benefit the other pitchers, other than having him around to soak up innings. How is having him around better than having, say, CC around? Or having vintage Clemens/Mussina around? Or even late-career RJ?

10. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

You know, St. Louis has the only true baseball fans. Why are we all wasting our time? We’re all frauds.

11. Over/under: First pitch 9 PM

12. pat says:

In case anybody was wondering what the infamous Matt (expletive deleted) Bush was up to, this should about sum it up-

13. Salty Buggah says:

Mo got the modest ovation from the Al side

14. Mike Axisa says:

I think that thing on the Ryan Franklin’s chin is self aware.

15. Accent Shallow says:

In re: Jeter’s earlier comments, it’s nice to see the man say something of the non-platitude variety, especially when he’s so right.

Now if we can just get him to come out against Interleague play . . .

16. pat says:

Hahah ichiro greets jeter with a big “Whats up baby boy?”

17. Drew says:

Just realized the pitchers are hitting.. Ugh

18. Mike Axisa says:

Damn yo, Doc and Lincecum haven’t even started warming up yet.

19. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I can’t decide whether the cuts in Molina’s hair are Dope, Fresh or Fly.

20. pollo says:

Medchill just went deep. That’s 5 homeruns so far for SI. Kid is a beast!

21. JimT says:

Is it just me or is J.P Riccardi overplaying his hand? I have a feeling that Toronto is going to come away with a good deal less than has been discussed for Halladay.

• I have a feeling that Toronto is going to come away with a good deal less than has been discussed for Halladay.

Kinda like what happened w/Minnesota and Johan? I don’t know, I feel like Toronto will get more because it’s in-season and teams may be desperate for that last little push to make the playoffs/win the WS.

• JimT says:

You may be right Matt. The other side of the aurgument is that teams, even larger market teams seem cautious about taking on additional salary.

• True, true. But I think some of these teams will want that last push to make the WS before either blowing it up or just not being able to afford compete after the next year or two.

• If they get Wood, Reckling, and something else from the Angels, that would be a nice haul. I’d still try and buy low on Ervin Santana. That threesome has ridiculous upside.

• JimT says:

I guess the unanswered question is “Will J.P Riccardi be an astute judge of baseball talent and value?” Recent history says otherwise.

• “To me the team with the greatest urgency and least leverage is the Toronto Blue Jays. I wouldn’t be the least bit supprised if Toronto came away with nothing more than one top prospect and one mid level prospect. Afterall, they are the ones who have to lessen the salary load.”

I would be surprised with that haul, since it’s not much better than just taking the compensatory draft picks when Halladay turns down arbitration. I don’t think they have to lessen their payroll quite so urgently that they’d take that kind of deal.

• JimT says:

Who realy knows. I just can’t get away from this feeling that too much of this is J.P. Riccardi looking for attention. That by playing up the media attention and becoming the center of sports talk shows from Chicago to St Louis to Boston to Philly and New York he somehow becomes some baseball mastermind.

I just don’t think that this going to end well for Toronto Blue Jay fans, all 2,500 of them.

• The Artist says:

“Is it just me or is J.P Riccardi overplaying his hand?”

I don’t think so. It’s still 2 weeks before the deadline, so he can keep the price high for now. But I have no doubt he noticed what happened to Bill Smith and doesn’t want to repeat it.

22. Jimmy Carter does not look good.

23. Salty Buggah says:

Tex owes us fans dinner, I doubt he would have made it if it wasn’t for us. Not saying he isn’t good because he is but not many would have voted for him if wasnt a Yankee , unless he’s a Sox.

I don’t care about a stinkin dinner, give me a championship and I’m happy.

24. Kyle R says:

I’ll raise your 8:20 and say 8:30.

25. Man, I watch something like this and then I realize I’ve done utterly nothing with my life…

26. Little Bill says:

Just start the damn game. It’s going to take 20 minutes to sing the anthem, commercial, 10 minutes for Obama to walk out and throw the first pitch, commercial, Buck and McCarver 15 minute “This time it counts” preview, commercial, game finally begins at 8:30 PM CT.

27. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Who else thinks the new comedy with Michael Strahan will run for about 12-14 years and become one of the most beloved TV shows ever?

28. Nikhil R. says:

Start the damn game already.

29. Sheryl Crow wouldn’t win American Idol

30. Jose says:

A B-2 bomber?? Why don’t they just have a giant fire pit in center field for wads of $100 bills?

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

That’s St. Louis Dammit!!! Nothing flashy like a fighter jet, but a workhorse. They just get the damn job done, by god. Middle America is the salt of the earth. But you sissy East Coast fans wouldn’t know anything about that.

31. New season of House == Cannot wait!

32. Salty Buggah says:

I’m stoked to see Winnie the Pujols against Doc.

33. YankeeScribe says:

The absence of Mark McGwire is quite telling but not shocking

34. Drew says:

That golfcart is so legit.

35. Joe: STFU. Let him roll in.

36. YankeeScribe says:

President Cool

37. Drew says:

Great camera work fox. All the hype about will he bounce it and we cant even see.

38. That fist pump was totally a shot at Jeter.

39. Jake H says:

Fox sucks. Couldn’t see how good the pitch was.

40. Kyle R says:

I’ll raise your 8:20 with *8:45

41. VO says:

Bush league fist pump Obama, that man does not belong in the major le…..

42. Jose says:

“It will be a pitching derby”

My head just exploded.

43. Little Bill says:

Better take another commercial. They should get rid of the actual game and just have the introductions.

44. The Artist says:

I didn’t think it was possible for me to get sick of hearing how great Albert Pujols is.

But gosh-darn-it Mccarver and Buck are going to do their best to make me puke.

45. Salty Buggah says:

No pregame ceremony, HR Derby, and the ASG game itself will compare to the one at old YS last year anytime soon.

46. It is scary how close to my 9 PM we are…

47. Doesn’t Lincecum have to take off that bracelet on his wrist?

48. Drew says:

Jete’s will get his signature hit off a Timmy fastball.

49. The Artist says:

Anyone know a site where I can check to see what Toronto’s year over year attendance figures are?

I want to get a sense how motivated they are.

50. So is it more “resurgence” from Jeter or is it more the fact that his hand isn’t injured?

51. Mike Axisa says:

ZOMG Lincecum is only throwing teh 91!

52. Drew says:

Who “dubbed” YSIII the best hitter’s park?

53. Ivan says:

STFU Joe about YS2.

54. Mike Axisa says:

Oh sweet Jesus…

55. (I glanced through the comments but didn’t see anything on this topic, forgive me if I missed something.)

But I wonder if the entire MSM is going to cry its eyes out about St. Louis fans booing Cubs, Mets, Jeter/Tex and Bay.

… My bad, I forgot St. Louis is baseball heaven with the bestest fans in the world. (Making wanking motion with hand.)

56. OH SHIT BENCHES CLEARING BRAWL!!!!!

Seriously, wouldn’t a huge fight totally spice the ASG up? It counts this time, after all.

57. Salty Buggah says:

Jeter better be ok Timmy!!!!

Oh and they got their first bandbox reference in already

58. Mike Pop says:

Damn, yo. Be careful Timmy.

59. Oh holy Jesus Montero Timmyboy, you don’t hit Jeter!

60. yanke1313 says:

But really where is Timmy’s velocity?

61. Drew says:

Those damn Molina brothers.

62. Ivan says:

Nice Confro by Lincecum and Mauer.

63. Hey look! Yankees scorin’ runs for the AL!

• Mike Pop says:

They’re going to need home field advantage for the World Series.

It is a park that helps them after all.

64. Little Bill says:

lol, hometown hero.

65. Salty Buggah says:

Pujols choke…

66. Jeter is pure hustle.

67. Since May 1, Jason Bay has batted .242/.343/.496. Now, that’s definitely not bad, but the way everyone’s been on Bay’s jock this year you’d think he was hitting .343/.422/.649 or something.

68. Jose says:

Wait, is the NL team comprised of the Mets defense?

69. Mike Axisa says:

My word, Hamilton slid into first in the All Star Game.

70. Ivan says:

Is the AL that much better than the NL.

71. Take the Rangers players out of Arlington, and they make outs at a phenomenal rate.

72. In the words of my brother, the entire NL team “caught the Mets disease”

73. Salty Buggah says:

Bay leads the AL with 72 RBIs…A-rod has 50 in one less month including almost a 2 week long slump and is still not at full strength

74. Mike Pop says:

Losing Longoria was a “big” hit to the A.L. This game counts after all..

• Ivan says:

A-Rod not being on this team is just as crucial.

I mean if you ask A-Rod, do you wanna play in the AS game when homefield counts or just have sex all fuckin day with Kate Hudson. We all know what A-Rod decision is.

75. Pasqua says:

Do you think FOX executives are happy that Joe Buck is whining that the NL is “digging itself a big hole” by being down 2 in the FIRST inning?

“Ahh, screw it, folks. Make it 13 in a row for that league with the DH. There’s probably a CSI re-run on CBS.”

76. Prez says:

Anyone know if Obama threw a strike? I didn’t see a plate view.

77. Eirias says:

The Home Run Derby was very easy to watch online.

Is there an actual game-type feed available, or are we restricted to the myriad of raw camera angles that FOX provides?

78. Pasqua says:

Michael Young didn’t get the memo.

79. Drew says:

This is pathetic.

80. The only thing more boring than watching pitchers hit:

Watching pitchers hit in the All Star Game.

81. Drew says:

Lol, Lincecum is a bitch, throw the heater to Halladay.

82. Salty Buggah says:

you know what would make this game better? A Mariano pinch-hit AB then he goes in to close it out.

83. Ivan says:

Lincecum is facing legit hitters for the first time.

84. Ivan says:

It would be funny if Barack being a sox fan said:

“Hey guys, who would of thought that a black guy like me would be president before the Cubs win a WS”

85. Ivan says:

You notice as Barack got the Nationals, he tried his very best not to say they suck. Tryin to be politically correct lol.

86. Mike Pop says:

Man, I would never give up anything good for Halladay now!!!!

/knee-jerk reactionist

87. Jose says:

Why would any team want to trade for Halladay? He just isn’t a gamer when it counts.

88. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Halladay is a BUST!!

That should lower his price down a bit. I say we offer Tomko, Edwar, and a Bagel to the Jays.

89. ashley says:

is it me or has halladay not been the same since his injury? i know in a few of his starts back besides against tghe yankees where he gave up 5, he only gave up 2 or 3 runs but for halladay that is alot.

halladay is nice to have but don’t if i would want to part with hughes or joba

90. Teix is the Man says:

There goes Teix’s All-Star Game MVP =)

91. Mike Pop says:

If everyone worked as fast as Mark on the mound, it’d be a much better game.

92. Thomas says:

Teixeira showing Pujols how you play first.

• Mike Pop says:

Now if Pujols could teach Mark how to hit like him. You would have an ULTIMATE warrior.

93. Salty Buggah says:

I bet Pujols wanted to make up for that error…nice play Tex

94. Can’t believe I have to miss the All-Star game!

But I see Obama rocked the jeans…nicee

95. Dela G says:

man tex looks great out there on defense

96. Marcus says:

Hmm, I just noticed Josh Hamilton’s stats this year…

I know I’m a little late to the All Star pick criticism game, but: wha?

97. I never thought I’d hear David Wright say “holla.”

98. Cokie says:

Got to trade for Buehrle

99. Dan Haren should’ve started this game.

100. Teix is the Man says:

If I could build a rotation around one guy, it would be Haren.

101. Jose says:

Buehrle has been so underrated in his career.