Jul

2009 Homerun Derby Thread

Josh Hamilton pwningIt’s hard to believe the 2009 Homerun Derby is already upon us, it seems like we’re just now coming down from the Josh Hamilton high of last year (no pun intended, I swears it). Ben and I were in the rightfield upper deck for that show, and it’s hard to imagine anyone one-upping that anytime soon. It would be cool if someone did though.

Here are the eight participants, listed alphabetically because I have no idea what order they’re going in.

American League
Nelson Cruz
Brandon Inge
Joe Mauer
Carlos Pena

National League
Adrian Gonzalez
Prince Fielder
Ryan Howard
Albert Pujols

Just so I can gloat later, my money’s on Pena. Enjoy the Derby.

Photo Credit: Julie Jacobson, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pujols. In his home ball park. (With the candlestick)

2. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Drinking Game:

Everytime Chris Berman says “Back, back, back…”, etc.

or

Everytime Peter Gammons manages to squeeze in a compliment about the Red Sox.

Either way, you’re getting hammered.

3. Nady Nation says:

Adrien Gonzalez FTW

4. ArodMVP217 Retire 51 says:

I want to see Prince go on a run

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Way to heavy. Will be exhausted by the end of Round 2. He is my pick for the longest homer of the night though.

5. The Artist says:

I’m amazed at how fast fans have dumped Joba. I thought he was so popular, but in every Halladay trade/fan poll I’ve seen, he is by FAR the one they’d most like to see traded for Doc.

I’d trade either (not both) Hughes or Joba, because Halladay is THAT special a pitcher. But I thought it would be more evenly split between him and Hughes.

6. Mariano Rivera will win the Home Run Derby.

7. Evan says:

I’m pretty excited for the Ball Track technology they’re introducing. see: http://www.hardballtimes.com/m.....-baseball/

8. E Mills says:

Prince all the way

9. David Cook? I immediately regret the decision to turn on ESPN.

10. Salty Buggah says:

Maybe Pena messes him swing up. That can only be good for us

11. The Artist says:

Damn, singing really shouldn’t be this hard.

12. I could let you all know about my taste of music but then I’d never see the light of RAB again. So I won’t

13. Salty Buggah says:

Fiedler looks like Lebron’s fat brother

14. Accent Shallow says:

Brandon Inge? Everyone else must have backed out. (I know, he’s having a great year and hitting bombs, but Brandon Inge? Really?)

15. Evan says:

Bwahahaha, one day HOFer Steve Phillips.

16. Mike R. - Retire 21 says:

I say Nelson Cruz will surprise everyone and take the title. Or in text shorthand N. Cruz FTW.

17. The Artist says:

Two deals on the table.

-Cliff Lee for Austin Jackson, Zachary McCallister, Mark Melancon

-Roy Halladay for Joba Chamberlain, Austin Jackson, Austin Romine and Dave Robertson.

You’re Brian Cashman, pick one.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Hey that’s my Lee trade!! I take Lee.

• Mike Axisa says:

Doc. Lee predictably came back to down to Earth this year. Halladay’s a true difference maker.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, although I’m intrigued by the lower cost to the organization and Lee in Yankee Stadium, I still do the Halladay deal. He puts you over the top, Lee doesn’t.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Lee is having a very good year, and the cost should be much lower. I would rather have Lee+Joba than Halladay.

• The Artist says:

Who loses their rotation spot when you bring in Lee?

Yes, Wang’s healthy. I’m not going to make it THAT easy.

• Moshe Mandel says:

If Wang is healthy prior to the deadline, I doubt they trade for a big time starter, and go more the Washburn route, someone on the next tier. Whatever they do, if Wang is still injured at the break, you plug the hole first and then worry about “too much pitching.” That’s what they did when they got Abreu even though Sheff was coming back, and it made sense. If I had to pull someone from the rotation, it would be Andy, but the Yankees would probably send Joba to AAA before bringing him back in the pen in September.

• Accent Shallow says:

None of the above. I’m sure Lee is going to turn back into a pumpkin, and he’s not exactly young. Halladay is clearly awesome, and flags fly forever, but I can imagine that deal really coming back to screw the Yankees.

18. Salty Buggah says:

Pujols is the only MLB player with 8 straight 30 HR seasons?

A-rod says hi…The thing they should have said that he is the only one with 30 HR in his FIRST 8 seasons.

How cool would it be if Pujols won in his hometown?

19. What is going to be more annoying to sit through: Berman’s commentary tonight or the G.I. Joe movie?

20. E Mills says:

I’d like to see some sort of skills competition for the fielders. I don’t know what that would entail, but I’m sure someone alot more creative than I could conjure up something

21. Salty Buggah says:

Imagine this HR Derby in TEH BANDBOX…

I’d love to be there catching all of those balls.

22. pat says:

Holy crap is that the guy who invented the “jump to conclusion matt” in Office Space?

23. Raise your e-hand if you think this is a dumb promotion?

24. Salty Buggah says:

LOL at Albert patient on batting practice pitches

25. pat says:

Pujols should have Brad Lidge throw out a ceremonial first pitch.

26. pat says:

No sundress? I love you newayz.

27. Ivan says:

Iight if the jays called the yanks and said look:

We are willing to take Hughes/Joba and Montero with a lesser talented players with Pena and Cevelli. Would you guys make that deal?

28. Salty Buggah says:

I’d like to see Miguel Cabrera instead of Inge but oh well

29. I like watching the kids trying to catch the balls. It’s funny.

30. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW @ Cruz’s 8th.

31. Mike Axisa says:

That was a bomb. Dayum.

32. Evan says:

Yeah lame Berman nickname. Let us enjoy the amazing bombs. I’d mute it but mom has the clicker.

33. Mike Axisa says:

I was watching the ’99 Derby yesterday, McGwire set the single round record with 13. Stuart Scott interviewed him after and said “we’ll never forget the number 13.”

34. Stan Musial = most underrated HOFer?

35. EB says:

Brett Gardner will win with infinity number of inside the park HRs… the ballkids cant keep up

36. pat says:

Albert please stay in the booth the rest of this competition.

37. Salty Buggah says:

Albert’s pretty smart. He’s knows more about other players’ swings and strengths/weaknesses than most of the announcers do.

38. So who’s hit the best HR so far?

39. Ivan says:

Your 2014 Home Run Derby winner will be Montero. Just watch.

40. pat says:

No joke I’d LOVE to be on the field trying to shag some fly balls. That would be awesome.

41. Half of LoHud is all ZOMG TRADE MONTERO HE’S OVERHYPED

And I’m like,

“No.”

42. Salty Buggah says:

I wonder if Mlb.com will have like a replay or something, it is showing it live for free but this damn internet keeps stopping, damn router.

43. Evan says:

Inge takes pride in his Home Run Derby performance.

44. For lack of a more creative name.. Alex says:

Awww, poor little Inge.

45. Mike Axisa says:

Oh dear Mo, Joe Buck and Joe Morgan simultaneously.

46. Joe: everyone loves your dad. Everyone hates you. STFU, plz.

47. Evan says:

Now Joe Buck is there? If they have Tim McCarver in there, my head will explode.

48. Ivan says:

Not enough grit by Inge there.

49. E Mills says:

is this guy gunning the pitches lol

50. That jeans commercial they just showed was cool because it included a clip from The Searchers.

51. Darthsodomizer says:

WTF, Could they be more rude to Prince and Gonzo. Just don’t mention the fact that the dude hit a 497 foot bomb, and I didn’t even know Gonzo was done. FAIL

52. Salty Buggah says:

I remember when I hit my 1st HR…it was from my left side (natural righty). I was 16 and playing my neighborhood park and it is HUGE. I crushed a soft underhand throw to straight center, at least 400 ft. Felt so proud. But the next day that ball fell out of my glove and I didn’t notice. When I did, I saw it roll down the gutter. :(

• Niiice. My first was an oppo shot to left when I was 13/14…barely 290 feet though!

• Salty Buggah says:

Damn, that’s young. I didn’t start playing baseball until I was 10. I worked real hard to be a switch-hitter.(I have never played on a team though) I had hit the fence in that park several times before. This time, it just carried and hit someone’s house. I try to pull all the time but just can’t. I hit to center most of the time and opposite field other times.

• I was born ambidextrous, so my friends recommended that I try batting righty, where I had a more mechanically sound swing, but all I could muster was, essentially, a swinging bunt. But lefty I can only pull the ball!

• Salty Buggah says:

Lucky. I made my swing from the right side exactly like A-rod’s and that helped my power a lot, though my AVG would go down slightly. My lefty swing I just got. It’s like a combination of Tex’s and Cano’s. Initially when I was learning, I used to try Larry Walker’s and Todd Helton’s but that didn’t work well. So I just went to my natural swing.

• I only ever hit one HR in my life, and it was in summer camp.

I don’t remember anything except I hit that ball and everyone was shocked b/c I usually strike out on three pitches…

53. pat says:

“This guy can be a sleeper too*.” (After proclaiming Inge would be a sleeper)

“He has an uppercut swing”

This is professional analysis.

54. I’m over Josh Hamilton.

55. Salty Buggah says:

The furthest Inge hit the ball is 272 ft!

56. TheLastClown says:

“Defense wins championships. Offense gets you paid.”

57. daneptizl says:

McNulty is terrible…

58. This dude kinda looks like Kenny Rogers.

59. I’m relatively certain this is the first time I’ve ever heard Roy Halladay speak.

60. pat says:

Perhaps these guys would be hitting more homeruns if the pitchers were wearing Yankee uniforms.

61. Doug says:

This ball tracker looks like a teleporting Power Ranger.

All heading back to the Command Center for Zordon’s instructions and stuff

62. Evan says:

Hopefully, this Little Al becomes good as the other Little Al.

63. pat says:

This movie w/ Patton Oswalt, “Big fan” looks pretty awesome.

64. Superfluous Stan says:

sign that kid now

65. The Artist says:

“Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman has signed with an agent.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman, who defected this month after arriving with his national team for a tournament in the Netherlands, has signed with an agent.

Chapman will be represented by Athletes Premier International, which is headed by Edwin Leonel Mejia. If Chapman follows the path of previous Cuban baseball players who defected, he would establish residency outside the United States and become a free agent, able to sign with any of the 30 major league teams.

“I am very excited to be starting a new chapter in my life and have Edwin and the rest of the team at Athletes Premier by my side to help me realize my dreams,” Chapman said in a statement Monday.

Chapman pitched twice for Cuba in this year’s World Baseball Classic.”

66. Eirias says:

Pujols is the reason my FB team is winning. Go Albert.

• Steve in PDX says:

my superior drafting and ability to pick sleepers such as pujols is the reason my team in winning ;)

• Eirias says:

The thing is, I was unforgivably late to the start of my FB draft and Pujols was auto-picked. Despite the obvious evidence pointing to him as the best, I probably wouldn’t have picked him.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

My superior trading skills got me Pujols without giving up my Hanley where both are keeping me in first.

67. Eirias says:

So, as Rinku Singh picks up his first win in A, is there any chance either brother actually does something vaguely impressive in baseball, or must we wait for the second or third Indian wave?

68. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Steve Phillips, there are more games in the first half than second half.

69. Nate says:

Anyone else notice that Pena has a devil ray on his sleeve?

70. pat says:

That David Wright commercial was PAINFUL.

71. Eirias says:

Any chance the Yankees try to make a minor league deal with Ryan? Would he take it?

72. Drew says:

I envisioned Prince’s kids to be larger.. lol

73. yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Albert just said he should of started with the leg kick earlier.

74. Pasqua says:

Pujols looks to be enjoying this experience about as much as a prostate exam.

75. Riddle says:

Imagine a Home Run Derby at New Yankee Stadium…

76. Tank the Frank says:

Does anyone think the Yanks will land Aroldis Chapman? Cuz I do. The Yankees have put such an emphasis on pitching prospects over the last several years, and if I’m not mistaken the Yanks took a good number of LHP in the draft this year. Looks like they recognize the need for LHP with the NYS.

• pat says:

If they like him I do think they’ll land him. They may see something in his medical files or something in his windup they don’t like and could shy away. We’re still spending money since george left but now we’re spending it in the right places not just for the sake of spending money.

77. Mike Axisa says:

This is so lame. ESPN ruins everything.

78. BigBlueAL says:

Im watching the 1995 All-Star game on MLB Network. Wade Boggs only Yankee in starting lineup.

79. Cokie says:

Man, prince fielder is such a fatass. My prediction is he breaks down by the time he hits 31. Why don’t some of these guys want to take care of themselves?

• pat says:

He’s a vegetarian first of all, and as countless players have shown you don’t have to be of the typical athletic build to be successful at baseball. That along with a bunch of other things is why it’s America’s past time. You can be short and fat or tall and skinny or anything in between.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

That’s my complaint about Ken Griffey Jr. Really? You can’t stay in any better shape? He’s 39, but looks 49. Just retire if you don’t want to take the game seriously.

• Marcus says:

He’s nothing compared to his father. But I’m sure it’s a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of thing.

80. Nady Nation says:

Do people actually enjoy the Home Run Derby that much? Not trying to sound like a dick, just genuinely curious. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot more in my teenage or younger years. Now? Meh.

81. pat says:

For anybody that’s bored, a nice E.Andrews slideshow..

82. [...] Confidence Poll « 2009 Homerun Derby Thread Jul [...]

83. VO says:

Anyone else watching the Celebrity Softball game?