Jul

July 2nd Signing Period Primer

ESPN’s Jorge Arangure Jr. has a post up (behind the Insider wall, unfortunately) updating us on all of the recent international free agent stuff. He says the Yanks have been linked to more players than any other team, mostly because they invite pretty much everyone to work out at their Dominican academy. We know they’ve already come to an agreement with catcher Gary Sanchez for $2.5M, but they’re also interested in outfielders Leonardo Fuentes and Jose Alberto Pena, righthander Cristopher Cabrera and shortstop Daimian Arredondo. The Yanks have also been connected to Cuban defectors Jose Iglesias and Noel Arguelles, a second baseman and a lefty pitcher, respectively. And, of course, they’re in on megaprospect Miguel Sano.

Teams can sign amateurs at least 16 years of age starting tomorrow. Don’t miss my talk with Baseball America’s Ben Badler about what he thinks the Yanks could do. Here’s Ben’s list of the top 25 prospects available this year.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Arangure’s Twitter feed has all that primo info, and it’s not behind any insider walls.

• Teix is the Man says:

What are the chances the Yanks nab Sano?

• Apparently, it’s a three-team race between the Pirates and Twins, with the Orioles recently entering the fray as the new financial heavy.

I’d say the chances are slim.

Personally, if we don’t get him, I hope the Pirates do. I’d love to have him not land in the AL, and the Pirates need all the help they can get. I pity them.

• (Plus, if he goes to the Pirates, he’ll probably end up here at some point, since the Pirates are our farm club now.

My thoughts exactly.

• Thomas says:

The Orioles say they will only make a play for Sano, if they can verify his age (I have no idea how they’d do that).

• BklynJT says:

(Plus, if he goes to the Pirates, he’ll probably end up here at some point, since the Pirates are our farm club now.)
          I was reading your comment and was waiting for this point.

• Bo says:

if you are truly worried about him being 18 or 19 than you shouldn’t be bidding 4+mill on him.

• Dear Mo:

I know I’m not perfect. I try to live as you would want me to. It would be presumptuous of me to ask something of you, oh Mo, but if you could find it in your benevolent heart to teach Bo how to use the reply button correctly, I promise I will do my best to do your will on earth and spread the word of your good news across the world. Mosanna, Mosanna, Mosanna in the highest.

Amen.

• Tampa Yankee says:

ietci (h/t jsb)

My coworkers must think I’m nuts when I just bust out laughing at some of the stuff you post on here. Well done!

• Teix is the Man says:

I would feel really bad being outbid by any of those teams. Oh well…

2. Arangure also says that the “Padres appear favorites to land LHP Edgar Ferreira for bonus of about $1m-$1.5m” but that “Yankees, Braves, Brewers and Marlins also have interest in Ferreira.”

3. Sam says:

I also heard that we were the favorites to sign that Venezuelan shortstop Sardinas. I’ll look for the link.

4. My wish list:

Cheslor Cuthbert, 3B, Nicaragua – because that’s an awesome name
    Jurickson Profar, RHP/SS, Curacao – ditto
    Juan Urbina, LHP, Venezuela – because he’s Ugueth’s kid, and it would allow me to have a new version of my meme about Ty Cobb stabbing a guy
    Daniel Sanchez, RHP, Venezuela – because I still want to field a team of nothing but Duncans and Sanchezes

5. Drew says:

Can’t we just sign all 25?
    I keed I keed

6. Bo says:

This is the type of area where they need to flex their financial muscles. But the economy must not be that bad in baseball if the Padres, Pirates, Twins, etc are throwing millions at 16 yr olds.

7. Couldn’t BA hire a someone Dominican that sees these kids? All I get from Badler is regurgitation.

8. Reggie C. says:

Somebody always changes his mind the last minute and breaks his verbal promise for more money. Maybe the fact that the Yankees have a long established education and integration system in place for only-Spanish speaking kids could help them nab a kid or 2 at the end.

I’d like to see the Yanks also nab a couple Venezuelans. Montero has worked out pretty well.

9. Billy says:

the jose alberto pena guy has talent, not as much as wagner mateo. midlevel guy next up to mateo is pimentel. he was hitting shots out of sight on the video. if we dont get sano we should get pimental and the two cubans. eiyher way we’ll have a good international crop

10. Billy says:

why doesnt sano just sign with us instead of pittsburgh. if he gets to the majors they’ll trade him to the yankees anyway