Jul

Trade Deadline Open Thread: Friday

Okay folks, today’s the day, the Trade Deadline.

Well, at least in name only. The July 31st deadline is nothing more than a formality, as teams can still make waiver trades through August. Just last year, the eventual World Champion Phillies acquired a key bench piece in August when they traded for Matt Stairs. There will surely be some movement today, but don’t think that just because the Yankees don’t make a move before 4pm that they won’t at all.

There were a few moves made yesterday, as the Pirates shipped lefties John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny to the Cubs for prospects, the Dodgers acquired a much needed late-inning reliever in George Sherrill. The Yanks were apparently interested in the Royals’ Brian Bannister, but talks didn’t progress when they asked the Royals to assume part ($650k) of the money owed to him through the left of the year. Then there’s always Jarrod Washburn.

We’ll update this post throughout the day with major news, so make sure you keep checking in. Will Roy Halladay be traded? I’m not so sure. However, chances are the Red Sox are going to make a big splash. A Victor Martinez or Adrian Gonzalez kind of splash. That should stir up those perpetually on the ledge.

First Update by Joe (11:31 a.m.): And just after this thread goes up, we get word that Jarrod Washburn is headed to Detroit. That’s one down. Will Cashman strike with Bannister or Duchscherer?

RAB has exclusive footage of the meeting where Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik informed Washburn of the trade:

Categories : Open Thread

276 Comments

1. zs190 says:

Washburn to the Tigers, it seems, interesting.

2. Bo says:

Theo has worked hard to have a farm system in place that is deep with quality. Can’t see him gutting it for another 1b. How many 1b can a team have??

• jsbrendog says:

well youkilis can play a good 3rd and lowell is msotly toast. and laroche isnt the answer to anything. and in the al if lars anderson is ready ever and they still have gonzalez/martinez then one can dh. but they prob have to give ihm up to get either one…

• Mike bk says:

talk was they were trying to spin laroche off to a 3rd team in talks for either Adrian Gonzo or V-Mart.

3. Reggie C. says:

MLBTR is reporting that the Tigers have acquired Washburn. No names on the Tigers traded.

This should spark an uptick in interest for Brian Bannister. Another name I heard yesterday was Jeremy Guthrie.

• 27 this year says:

I don’t think the O’s would trade him in the division at a decent price. Guthrie is going to end up fairly expensive, probably more expensive than Washburn. However, he is like 30 years old but still under team control.

• Reggie C. says:

Under team control for the next 3 years (2010,’11, & ’12). Its worth a phone call.

• The Scout says:

Only if you have an unlimited calling plan. Why would the O’s give up someone they control for the next three years to a divison rival? How does that help them?

• toad says:

I don’t get the big deal about trading to a division rival. After all, you get something back from the division rival too. So if there’s some sort of “division rival” effect it cuts both ways.

I guess the risk is bigger, in that if you make a mistake it really hurts, but that’s balanced by the bigger upside of making a good deal also.

4. The Fallen Phoenix says:

My pie-in-the-sky preference would be to pick up a reliever and shift Hughes to the rotation, but I know that’s the stuff dreams are made of.

I wouldn’t be absolutely upset with a Bannister, but I’m not entirely convinced he’d be a more effective option than Mitre, honestly.

5. Russell NY says:

If the Sox got Adrian Gonzalez that would be trouble:

Pedroia
    Youkilis
    Gonzalez
    Roids
    Bay

That is mean. V-Mart doesn’t scare me as much.

• jsbrendog says:

<—-not scared of that

• Rick in Boston says:

With you there. OPS+ for that group this year:

Pedroia: 103
        Youk: 142
        Gonzalez: 156
        Ortiz: 87
        Bay: 121

Compared to Yanks Top-5:

Jeter: 126
        Damon: 125
        Teixeira: 142
        A-Rod: 134
        Matsui: 120

Yankees are trotting out nine regulars who are hitting better than average this year; the Sox? Three regulars who are below average, and that’s not counting Pedroia, Tek, Lowell and Drew who are sub-110.

• Chip says:

So you’re afraid of a lineup that posts OPS+ of

I’m not too worried about it considering they have no back of the rotation and the rest of their lineup is a black hole

For reference, the Yankees lineup starts

Jeter – 126
      Damon – 125
      Tex – 142
      ARod – 134
      Posada – 127
      Matsui – 120

6. D says:

Cash should kick the tires on Duchscherer and see if they will give Wuertz also

• gio says:

I’d prefer Duchscherer and Adam Kennedy. Plug Duke in to the rotation for Mitre, and DFA Ransom.

• D says:

true Kennedy will fit well and finally we can get rid of Cody “I stole Joe Girardi’s kids and that why I get playing time” Ransom

• Mike bk says:

they wont deal kennedy it was said yesterday. he has been excellent for them and they are looking to sign him to an extension.

• I’ve been all over Duke and Wuertz, but I think Duke is the only one really available. Word was that the A’s wanted to be “blown away” for Wuertz, who’s still under control for another year.

7. Chris V. says:

Haha according to Heyman Paul Bush is a top Yankee prospect.

8. YankeeScribe says:

Do the Tigers now have the best rotation in baseball? Or is it still the Giants?

• 27 this year says:

Of course they do. Verlander and Jackson beat CC and AJ and Porcello is clearly better than Joba and Washburn is better than Pettitte.

Honestly I have no idea.

• jsbrendog says:

with randy johnson on the shelf their depth just took a big hit

• It’s tough to compete with a Verlander-Jackson-Washburn troika, and Gallaraga/Porcello are decent back-end options.

• Chip says:

No way, Washburn will fall back to Earth with that outfield so they’re still only about two deep. I’d still take the giants as they’re deeper and I’ll take Cain and Lincecum over Verlander and Jackson.

9. Chip says:

This is hilarious, the headline about the Washburn trade on Fox Sports says “Source: Tigers agree to acquire ace Washburn”

Did somebody really just call Washburn an ace?

10. So, are the Yanks going to get a pitcher? All the good ones keep getting taken…

• 27 this year says:

I have a feeling we aren’t getting anyone.

• Manimal says:

That is what is making me worried. As each pitcher gets traded, there is no news on the yankee front. As Heyman said on his twitter, “Back to the drawing board for the yanks”

11. 27 this year says:

who is our Luke French adn Mauricio Robles?

12. Thomas A. Anderson says:

Can I has sum Justin Duscherer?

13. Charlie says:

i know its not easy to make comparisons, but what’s the yanks equivalent of Luke French and Mauricio Robles?

14. Jesse G. says:

Whom would you guys rather have, Duscherer or Bannister? It’s a tough call for me. Bannister probably is the better pick for performance this year while Duscherer has more upside. I think the tiebreaker has to go to Bannister since it would mean that JoePoz’s Bannylogs would involve the Yanks.

• Mike bk says:

Bannister has more upside because he is 28, team controlled for 2 or 3 more years, so he will cost more. banny is also somewhat of an innings eater.

15. A-Rod is Still My Ninja says:

Fuck the Tigers

16. Reggie C. says:

This name is definitely available as it’d constitute a salary dump for the Royals. Gil Meche.

He’s due to come off the DL after back spasms flared and he’s thrown a healthy simulated game. Perhaps we can get the Royals to ante up $10 MM remaining on his contract?..

• Mike bk says:

if it was just about money w the 650K on bannister we certainly arent adding meche’s salary.

• Reggie C. says:

I wonder about the veracity of that report. Refusing to take on $650K just doesn’t sound realistic. I understand the need to not take on a bad contract at the deadline in its entirety, but $650K… yeesh.

• Mike bk says:

why because you assume the yankees have unlimited funds at all times?

• Reggie C. says:

An assumption that the Yanks would not complete a trade over $650 is one i’ll make every day of the week. If its a matter of Cash and his people not liking Bannister’s chances of success then that’s a different matter altogether and more realistic.

• Ed says:

Obviously the Yankees don’t have unlimited funds, but, $650k is about 0.3% of the payroll. It’s one thing to say the Yankees couldn’t afford to add a guy like Halladay, but adding Bannister isn’t even noticeable on the payroll.

• jsbrendog says:

if they wouldnt take the 650,000 on bannisters contract what makes you even remote think for a second they’d take on any money for meche? who has also said he wants to remain in KC and win there cause he likes it.

17. gio says:

I think teams are trying to fleece the Yanks in any deal. Not sure why. But to ask for one of Joba/Hughes/Montero/AJax for Washburn, and then settle on Luke French (career minor league ERA of 3.88) and Robles (who is only at A) is questionable.

18. Chris says:

From MLBTR:

6:45am: Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News say the Red Sox are in “full pursuit” of Gonzalez, and believe Boston could get Heath Bell too if they’re willing to include pitcher Daniel Bard.

Why is Bard such a big deal? I understand that he’s good, but he’s still just a reliever. There were earlier reports that the Sox were willing to trade Buchholz, but not Bard which just seems silly to me.

• V says:

Dunno. I do think they believe Bard to be their future closer and intend to trade Papelbon though.

• Chip says:

Sounds perfectly fine to me, Bard reminds me a lot of Krazy Kyle

• Chris says:

I’ve heard that too (usually involving letting Papelbon go in free agency), but the end result is still that he’s a reliever.

• anonymous says:

No way they get Bell for just Bard. Wasnt the line ‘we will accept ridiculously over priced offers on Bell’

• Reggie C. says:

Gammons continues to tout Bard as the “best young reliever in the game today.” Apparently Gammons has hacked his way into the Padres’s intranet and is on loop repeating this statement.

• Rich M says:

I remember when he said the same thing about Craig Hansen.

• Gammons also said that “All the world series title from 1989 to 2006 are tainted”. Why 2006?? Was that the magical eradication of steroids year or are you so biased and blind you refuse to admit that both your titles are tainted under your standard?

I have never been this upset at a sport “reporter” before. Hack!

• Chris V. says:

The deal doesnt even make sense. Why would you trade bard to get bell? Bard is just as good and cheaper.

• believe Boston could get Heath Bell too if they’re willing to include pitcher Daniel Bard.

Wait, so the Padres were asking for Maybin, Miller, or West from Florida, but they’re going to settle for Bard from Boston?

No freaking way. I call bullshit, Feinsand and Madden.

• gxpanos says:

If the Sox love Bard so much why would they trade him for Heath Bell? They would do the same thing.

I mean, I’d rather have Bell than Bard, but Theo seems so high on the Rich Man’s Krazy Kyle, it seems weird.

• j-man says:

Bard as of right now is pitching better than Papelbon. He can dial it up to 100 with a great offspeed pitch. Paps has control issues. Boston needs to keep Bard to shure up the pen.

19. DSFC says:

I think Bannister is a pretty good fifth starter, and easily better than Mitre.

20. Adam says:

i like duke… but i wonder what the other duke(zack) would cost… he’s good.

• zs190 says:

Zach Duke = not good, probably a 5th starter in AL East, but they’ll sell him like he’s a #2 or #3.

• Mike bk says:

i love how everyone bashes zach duke, but would trade for mark buehrle in a heartbeat. no i am not saying he is buehrle but he is putting up the same numbers with similar k rates.

• zs190 says:

Mark Buerhle career ERA+, 123
          Zach Duke career ERA+, 102

Mark Buerhle has had 8 straight 200+ inning season
          Zach Duke has 1 in 06.

you can look at WHIP, H/9, BB/9, K/9, Buerhle has Duke beat in just about everything, Zach Duke is not Mark Buehrle.

• i am not saying he is buehrle but he is putting up the same numbers with similar k rates.

No, he doesn’t.

Duke’s career ERA+ is 102, in the NL. Buerhle is 123 in the AL.

I like Duke, he’s a decent young lefty, but he’s not remotely Mark Buerhle. Not even close.

21. zs190 says:

I think we saw French earlier in the year, nothing special, high 80′s, low 90′s, don’t think he had any standout pitch, just a back end rotation guy. He pitched well against us though.

Robles is 5’10, 160, KG at BP says he throws 90-94 with good command(though the walk numbers seem high…). Probably a live arm but he’s so small and he’s 20 in high A, not really very projectable, seems like a late inning Juan Cruz kind of guy.

Doesn’t seem that impressive, that’s like Eric Hacker + Mike Dunn. And here we hear all that stuff from Heyman about them wanting Hughes, Montero, AJax, and Joba.

22. Russell NY says:

Tigers get Washburn. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

23. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Cashman put Duchscherer in pinstripes already!

24. Charlie says:

my money is still on cashman makin some kind of move before 4

25. Moshe Mandel says:

Heyman’s credibility is out the window with this trade. The names on the Yankees that he brought up were clearly never discussed, as this trade shows that Jack Z is actually a reasonable GM trying to trade 2 months of a guy pitching over his head. He never asked for Montero, at least not seriously.

• Charlie says:

who knows, maybe he did. maybe the whole league has conspired not to trade with the yankees this year and to make ridiculous offers.

26. GG says:

GET THE DUKE…we need another starter, its no secret, and he won’t cost more than one middling prospect, nothing special…GET SOMETHING DONE CASH

27. A-Rod is Still My Ninja says:

The Sports Show Live: http://thesportsshowlive.blogspot.com/

28. Tank Foster says:

Boston landing VMart or Gonzalez essentially levels the two teams. If the Yankees had even a mediocre Wang I’d say the Yanks had the advantage, but another big bat in Boston makes it a draw in my book. (Of course, nobody reads my book except me.)

• Manimal says:

Matsuzaka is supposed to come back soon, I think if they trade for someone it is definitely advantage Sox.

• Tank Foster says:

Good point. Of course, we have no idea if he’ll be any good, and Wakefield’s deal with the devil must be almost up, so I’m still not ready to give the Red Sox the advantage, But you might be right.

• Boston landing VMart or Gonzalez essentially levels the two teams.

No, it doesn’t. We still bat three guys in the bottom of our lineup that are above average to well above average hitters. They don’t. They need two bats, not just one.

• Billy says:

if they add gonzalez it probably does even them, but v-mart doesnt

• Tank Foster says:

Let’s see – erring on the side of favoring Boston, for the sake of argument:

Tex/Youk: Tex better, but both very good. Even
        Cano/Rat Boy: Again, Cano more power, Rat better OBP. Even
        Jeter/Green: Grit edge to Nick, perhaps ;-) Adv Yankees
        ARod/Lowell: Facial hair to Boston, o/w Adv Yankees
        Posada/Captain: as above… Adv Yankees
        Damon/Bay: Bay started incredibly, now basically Even.
        Gardbrera/Ellsbury: Again, overall, basically Even.
        Swisher/Drew: Swish is streaky, overall Drew a bit better. Ad Red Sox
        Matsui/Ortiz: Tough one…I’ll say even.

Pitching: I think you have to give the advantage to Boston here, but it’s pretty small.

I guess you’re right, Mr. a/k/a. Adding Gonzo or VMart would close the gap, but even erring on the side of Boston, the Yankees have a much better offense.

I don’t think the difference in pitching is huge, and the Yankees pitching might even be better, if Matsuzaka continues to not-contribute, and Wakefield starts remembering he’s 53 years old.

But hey, with Gonzo or VMart, I think we can agree it’s reeeeeeally close between the two teams.

29. AndrewYF says:

Love the video.

• VO says:

That’s the best thing they can do in my opinion. Just come out and tell the truth.

• Dirt says:

I agree, I think some people think they are trying to save their skins from if/when the whole thing gets released, but I think it shows some courage to admit it, I’m sure nobody will talk about Arroyo in a few days, but people will still be talking about Ortiz, it’s just the nature of the beast. (Also Arroyo wasn’t the player Ortiz was, so that’s important too)

• jsbrendog says:

this was my fav part. it sounds like college:

“Now they don’t want us to take anything unless it’s approved. But back then, who knows what was in stuff? “

• Since 2004, when he stopped using andro, and 2006, when he stopped taking greenies (and switched to caffeine and ginseng), Arroyo said he has not experienced a negative dropoff in his performance – but his ability to recover between starts has changed

ERA+ from 2006 to now.

142, 110, 95, and 86.

Are you sure about that Brandon Bronson?

30. Dirt says:

I don’t think I’ve heard anything about him in months, and I’m not saying he’s a solution or anything, just curious, what ever happened to Ben Sheets coming back mid year?

31. Billy says:

i think it would be a mistake for cash to stand pat. he should make at least one move today. however, if the asking prices are as rediculous as we’ve been hearing, cash is right to say no. jesus montero for washburn would have been a tragedy.

32. jsbrendog says:

nothing. is. going. on. what. el. eff?

33. Jose says:

I feel like an addict, I keep hitting the refresh button on MLBTR hoping for some big trade to go down.

• Manimal says:

You and me both. Just put on MLB Network if your near a tv.

• VO says:

Right there with you guys. I’m sitting here MLBTR on, RAB, ESPN, SI, and MLB Network on the TV.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

So THIS is what it feels like to do crack..*refresh*…*refresh*..refresh*…

34. Reggie C. says:

Mariners rejecting offers on Felix Hernandez?? If Jack Zduriencik is willing to listen … do we make an offer?

source:

35. Thomas A. Anderson says:

LOL, some teams actually had the balls to try to trade for Felix Hernandez. Unless one of those teams was SF and they were offering up The Freak, that’s hilarious.

36. Lanny says:

The Tigers can start printing playoff tickets. Verlander-Jackson-Washburn is a top notch top 3. Maybe the best in the AL at this point. And before the homers go crazy you’re nuts if you think Joba will be starting come Sept with the inn limit.

37. Charlie says:

Apparently washburn wanted to come to the yanks. oh well, he doesn’t seem like a true yankee

38. Raf says:

is that because hes not part of the 4 Rings Crew?

39. Mike bk says:

tigers going after luke scott as well. o’s apparently asking a lot since he is under control until 2012.

40. Dirt says:

Apparently I’m thinking injuries today, anyway: I know that Brandon Webb wouldn’t help this year, but assuming Cashmoney thinks he could come back strong would the Yanks make an offer? I’m guessing it would be like Wang where people would want to buy low, but the Yankees wouldn’t want to sell low, just wondering what you guys thought.

• JMK says:

A lot of risk and they’d still have to give up top-notch prospects to get Webb. Two sinkerballers with huge injury concerns and a serious loss to the farm?

If it works, you look like a genius. But again, seems like too much risk.

41. Charlie says:

boy, still nothing going on with the yanks… i say cash makes a move at 3:30 for duke/bannister/reliever we never expected (the / meaning “or”, of course)

42. Anyone watching the bottom line on ESPN.

It says.

Wasburn to DET.

Wasburn ESPN?

43. I’m all for the Yanks signing King Felix in 2011

44. Tony says:

Am I the only one who realizes that VMart, especially as a replacement for Lowell (essentially) is not some kind of game changing monumental upgrade? I would LOVE for Cleveland to drain that farm system for him. His numbers translate to solid, but not elite, at 1B.

45. JMK says:

I saw on MLBTR that the Royals and Yanks haggled over $650 k on Bannister. To me it’s a marginal cost assuming the prospects were mid-level. Anyway, it seems that Mark Teahan is also on the block. Teahan strikes out a lot and his OBP isn’t great (I think it’s like .344) but he can play the outfield and the infield and his bat is much better than Ransom’s.

Anyone think a package for Bannister and Teahan makes any sense?

46. Billy says:

heyman says yanks pessimistic about a move. that probably means they’ll make a move

47. E-ROC says:

At least the Justin Duchscherer dream is alive.

48. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

AGonz deal very unlikely according to Jonathan Mayo

49. Manimal says:

Washburn even wanted to go to the yankees… wtf.

50. Tony says:

Ummm… maybe we should stop taking everything we read on mlbtr as the gospel. 650k isn’t why the Yankees aren’t getting Bannister.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Absolutely, +1.

• Drew says:

If Buster and Stark say it, it must be true.

• Jose says:

Take every source on trade rumors with a grain of salt. Suddenly everyone is the accountant for the New York Yankees and knows the actual truths about their financial decisions.

51. Januz says:

I really wonder if Cashman is playing poker with Toronto, trying to get Halliday. A package starting with Montero would not be bad at all. If Boston makes a Martinez or Gonzalez trade, they will be out of trading chips, and the Yankees might be able to steal Halliday away. A long-shot? Of course, but so was sihning all THREE of Tex, CC & AJ last year.

• Mike Pop says:

Na.

Not only does Cash not want to deal the goods, yanks might not have the money.

• Tank Foster says:

I honestly don’t think the Yankees have the money to do that.

• Reggie C. says:

As much as Halliday would be the biggest “get” of the trading deadline, I simply do not want to see Montero traded for a 32 year old who’s 1.5 years away from free agency.

Montero+ for Felix? Sure. But not for Halliday and since JP Ricc is essentially asking for a haul along the lines of what would take to get Felix Hernandez (imo) , then the only answer Ricc should get is NO.

52. RT @BloggingBombers: Chad Jennings reports Shelley Duncan on his way to Chicago to join the Yankees for tonight’s game.

53. VO says: