Record Last Week: 3-4 (38 RS, 44 RA)
Season Record: 63-42 (581 RS, 510 RA), 0.5 games up
Opponents This Week: @ Toronto (2 games), vs. Boston (4 games)
Top stories from last week:
- Having won nine of ten coming into the week, the Yanks promptly continued their winning ways on Monday as AJ Burnett dominated the Rays. The Yanks played an ugly brand of baseball the next night, but Joba Chamberlain turned in another sterling effort on Wednesday to wrap up the series win.
- Nick Swisher hit a majorly clutch homer in the ninth against his former team in the first game against the White Sox, but the Yanks lost the series opener in walk-off fashion. After jumping out to a 3-0 lead the next day, Sergio Mitre gave it all back and then some, while an all-around ugly game on Saturday resulted in the team’s third straight loss. Powered by Melky Cabrera’s cycle, the Yankees escaped from Chicago with a win in the series finale yesterday.
- The trade deadline came and went, with the Yanks picking up utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. and minor league pitcher Jason Hirsh in separate deals. The Yanks were reportedly interested Bronson Arroyo but thankfully nothing came of it. They also made a run at Jarrod Washburn, but the price was too high. Brian Cashman & Co. will still be on the lookout for pitching in August, but the pickin’s might be slim.
- The only other roster moves of the week came when Shelley Duncan was called up, and then sent back down the very next day.
- In a rather unsurprising turn of events, Chien-Ming Wang needed season ending shoulder surgery. Now the Yankees must decide what to do with him in the offseason. Sadly, uberprospect Jesus Montero also went down for the season with a fractured finger.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.