Aug

Heathcott seeking $2M

Jim Callis of Baseball America updated the statuses of the twenty unsigned first round picks, mentioning that Yanks’ top pick Slade Heathcott is seeking “upwards of $2 million.” After MLB reduced their recommendations by 10% this year, slot money for the 29th overall pick became $1.107M. For all intents and purposes Heathcott and his agent are looking for 8th overall pick money even though he’s not that kind of talent.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. Russell NY says:

Sorry to be a little off topic but one of the greatest relievers of all time just got released from the Indians:

Indians DFA Jose Veras
    By Eddie Schmid [August 4 at 9:33pm CST]

Another Indian reliever has been shuffled: According to Anthony Castrovince at MLB.com, the Indians have designated RHP Jose Veras for assignment. He’ll move to make room for Jess Todd, the player to be named later from the Cardinals in the Mark DeRosa deal.

Veras had been acquired from the Yankees in June, and put up a 7.62 ERA in 13 innings for the Indians.

• V says:

Saying ‘sorry to go off topic’ is not an excuse to go off topic. Don’t do it. Everyone has seen this already. You’re not breaking any news.

Don’t do it.

• Russell NY says:

Tough crowd. Sorry I forgot to read every comment from all the previous posts before I said something. How stupid of me.

• jsbrendog says:

no. that is not what you should be sorry for. you should be sorry for the egregious offense of:

“sorry for going completely off topic and destroying the integrity ofo this socialist rag, if it even had any left and blatantly ignoring the guidelines even though i am aware of them because I plainly apologized for breaking them for a tidbit on a pitcher who isn’t with the yankees anymore and with news that doesn’t even have anything to do with them and couldn’t even be remotely correlated to the topic of the thread to which I am posting.”

carry on

• No. That’s not the point. The point is: http://riveraveblues.com/river.....s/#ontopic

We don’t ask much. Please keep comments on topic.

• Russell NY says:

While I understand the point of the guideline… that is MASSIVELY restricting. Basically we cannot talk about any recent news on this blog with fellow readers until it is posted by a host? We have to wait for the host to bring it up?

I’m not trying to start something here. Perhaps the guideline should say… anything off-topic should only be discussed under that comment. Or maybe we could have some chat/post to reference and talk about new news without e-mailing and waiting around for the post?

I respect keeping the posts on topic but it’s hard to keep focus with all the compelling news out there (I just said it, Jose Veras news is compelling).

• You might see it as massively restricting, but we see it as keeping some semblance of order. Again, we cite MetsBlog, which shut down its comments section because it got off-topic.

My take on it is that if you’re not going to discuss the topic of the post in the comments, why have comments at all?

• Mike Axisa says:

And frankly, Jose Veras getting DFA’d by the Indians isn’t major news worth an off topic post. If it’s something like David Ortiz getting busted for PEDs, then yeah, we understand that’s major news.

But something like this? All it does is invite a bunch of comments making fun of him that take away from the quality of the discussion.

Nothing personal.

• Russell NY says:

I gotcha. Veras is pretty insignificant news but I thought it was important because the Yankees held on to him for so long because they feared he would find himself with another team (as Yankee broadcasters kept saying). In any case I’ll keep on topic. Maybe there is a way to have a post or link on the right called “Daily Nonsense” where we can chat freely?

I see what you’re saying though and I’ll obey.

• truth says:

get over yourselves

• Sorry to be a little off topic, but your sister is ugly.

2. Doug says:

“Camp Heathcott isn’t stupid, they know the Yanks can’t afford to not to sign him and are asking for the moon. Can’t blame them.”

Absolutely, Mike. But you also want to get off on the right foot with your new organization. There’s a fine line there.

3. Matt H. says:

Jesus, MLB needs a NFL or better NBA like cap for draft pick signings.

• Ed says:

Why? Do you think their should be a salary cap at your job?

• Rob H. says:

is there not a starting salary or do you have the same salary now as you did when you first started? Everyone starts out with a certain salary and then gets raises if you are good at your job(well at least most jobs do that I would think). This is no different in the sports world, especially in football. These teams are dropping millions on guys in the first round who have never played an inning of professional baseball. They should have to earn the money that they are currently getting having done nothing yet.

• V says:

Disagreed.

I’m an actuary(ial analyst) (not yet credentialed).

Should I earn the same as a deli slicer (been there, done that) because I ‘haven’t done anything yet’?

I started, at entry level, making 6x what I made as a deli slicer.

I think people should be paid what people are willing to pay them.

• Mike Axisa says:

Well remember, you have the ability to shop your services around, looking for the best offer. Heathcott doesn’t.

• Rob H. says:

apples and oranges. Obviously every career/job has their own specific starting point as “entry-level”, I never lumped every job together as having to start at one specific salary. You jumped to a massive assumption based on what I said. You have an entry-level salary for your specific career field and that is where you start and then work your way up from there.

Apparently the NBA and NHL are the only sporting leagues that agree to that sentiment and their draft picks only get a specific amount of money(which isn’t exactly chump change, mind you) forcing them to prove themselves in order to make more. Apparently the MLB and NFL have no problem allowing clubs to spend millions upon millions of dollars on guys who in all likelihood will be busts.

• Ed says:

Just a tip, unless you’re talking minimum wage type jobs, it’s not a fixed entry level salary. You can negotiate, and there can be a wide range.

• Rob H. says:

completely understand that. I think that depends on the specific field though. Usually the range that can be negotiated isn’t that big. Again, I’m only going off of personal experience in what I have come across and what people I know have come across. I would hazard to guess that the IT jobs is one particular field where the range could be big due to ones specific knowledge.

With all that being said, I have never agreed with the whole “real world” versus “sports world” comparisons. They are just very different circumstances, IMO, that these comparisons that are tried to be made usually don’t truly compare.

• A.D. says:

The NFL has rookie signing situation that everyone complains about

• Mikebk says:

so you want a cap on draft picks but im sure you dont want one on team salaries…no hypocrisy there.

4. the artist formerly known as (sic) says:

F*ck him.

F*CK.

HIM.

/zach galifianakis on the michael showalter showalter./

5. ChrisS says:

I was surprised that the Yankees went with a high schooler for this first round pick and this is why.

College players have a lot less to fall back on, IMO. An 18 year old with a commitment to LSU, a national baseball powerhouse, can easily say no thanks unless it’s for serious coin. He’s got all the leverage in the world and then Yankees don’t have squat.

• Jon W. says:

I wouldn’t exactly say he has all the leverage in the world. He has a lot more leverage than a college senior, but there’s no guarantee he’d even be picked in the 1st round again if he goes to college.

If high school players had all the leverage, no high schooler drafted after the first round would ever sign.

• Zack says:

Exactly. You pick a college junior he only has to go back for 1 year, HS senior is now committed for 3 years right? 18 years old looking at 1 million bonus or 3 years of college, not taking into account family situation- most kids are going to take that

6. BarryL says:

I would just like to point out that in the article he writes that upwards of 2 Million is the number they were talking about before the draft. We have no idea where the negotiations are holding right now and MLB isn’t allowing announcements so let’s calm down a bit.

7. Reggie C. says:

NO. Surprise. On draft day, BA already had information that Heathcott’s people were asking for at least $1.5 million signing bonus. Heathcott has never broken face and he’s said on numerous occasions how great it’d be to play at LSU.

Hopefully Opp is able to close the deal here.

8. Jake H says:

This deal will get done. The guy wants to be a Yankee. My guess is he will sign for 1.7 million.

9. dc1874 says:

Sign him…BUT negotiate in the contract certain BEHAVIOR clauses…this kid is HIGH STRUNG and with bad family history, I can see all that money being wasted. IE- JOSH HAMILTON…

10. Rich in NYC says:

Interesting problem. It is less than the money wasted on Pavano.

11. A.D. says:

Can’t say I blame Heathcott here, its potentially his one big ticket, no guarantee he ever makes it or receives another pay day.

Considering the Yanks lose this pick, they’re lucky he’s only looking at upwards of 2M

Only annoying thing would be if Slade & Murphy take too much out of the budget for Cotham.

12. dave says:

i say let him go to college – take his cash and spend it on the players we took later in the draft that dropped on signability concerns. I’m sure we can take Slade’s 2 million and get two more pitchers. Heathcott is minimum 4 years away from contributing, so maybe we can get some higher upside pitchers who are 2-3 years away.

13. POCKO says:

Lane Meyer over at Nomaas said a deal was done as of when he was drafted and the commish office is just waiting till August 15th to announce it.

• Mikebk says:

lane never said that in fact he did an update just last night saying there was no deal at this point.

” I asked Slade Heathcott yesterday if he was close to an agreement and he said he wasn’t sure yet. Slade has said he’ll let me know as soon as he knows anything. I know I said the similar things about Cole signing last year, but my assurance with Heathcott this year is based on information given directly to me – not anything passed on from “someone who heard something.” I’d wager a very large sum of money that Slade will be signed, so try not to worry about the stud outfielder, draft fans.”

14. Bo says:

The kid should ask for what he thinks hes worth. The slotting system is a ruse. It’s worthless. In 3 years if Heathcott improves at LSU he could get 8+ as a top 10 pick. Why should he sign for what the Yankees want?

• Zack says:

because it doesnt work that way. Wouldnt Evan Longoria demand 100m on his extension with the Rays?

• Mikebk says:

did you just compare asking for 900K over slot which is not an uncommon occurrence by first round picks to a player asking to break the 6 year cost control rule and arbitration figures? and longoria can demand 100m on his next extension. if he didnt sign for 6 years on the 6th day in the majors he would make more going year to year than he will this way.

• Zack says:

I never said he shouldnt ask for over slot, he knows the Yankees need to sign him. But as they go on, if they move closer together in the numbers, walking away because of a few hundred grand, and have to wait 3 years before hes drafted again, no assurance that money will be waiting for him.
          That’s my point. Right now Heathcott is not a top 10 pick, just like on the 6th day in the majors Longoria was not a 100m player. Could Heathcott gamble and try his luck in 3 years? Yes. Could Evan gamble and try his luck in 6 years? Yes. But that guranteed money on the table is tough to turn down in both player’s situations

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Exactly, mlb doesn’t exactly have a history of negotiating in good faith as well. Take em to the cleaners Slade

15. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Pay him. You give 3 million to a 16 year-old, why not give Slade 2 million?

16. psbpablo says:

Slade have fun at LSU you will love college life just ask Eric Duncan.

17. All of the people saying things like “what a jerk, have fun at college, yadda yadda” are being silly. This kid and his handlers are involved in a relatively high-stakes business negotiation. The kid might not be getting A-Rod money, but to him this is an enormous pay-day of epic proportions – a once in a lifetime opportunity. He doesn’t owe the Yankees nor anyone else in MLB anything, and he should try to get as much money out of this contract as he can.

Frankly, I like that he’s playing hardball. In the business world nobody wants to hire a pushover who just says “pay me what you want to pay me, I don’t care.” So the kid’s not stupid or weak-willed? Okey dokey, sign me up.

• Tom Zig says:

I would love to have Slade on board. Plus all those knuckleheads who keep spewing that nonsense obviously don’t know that we don’t get that draft pick back next year if we fail to sign him. The “yeah we’ll show him” mentality isn’t exactly a smart business move in this case.

18. Sam says:

Hey guys. I don’t know what thread to put this in so please, have a little patience, but they just declared those three Cubans who defected free agents. They say that Marti is ready to step in right now and help a team down the stretch. Is he a possibility for the Yanks? Mo knows we need another starter.

19. Stryker says:

i’m not worried in the least about slade signing. the yankees know what’s at stake with the heathcott and murphy picks – they’ll do their due diligence and get it done.

i AM worried that guys that flourished in the cape league recently (meade and cotham especially) will be tough to sign. i really hope not – those guys will be AMAZING additions to the system.

20. JMK says:

He’ll sign. As others have said, this is simply part of the process. He knows it’s important for the Yanks to sign him and he knows he has LSU as another bargaining chip. Some of you make it seem like the Yankees couldn’t have seen this coming. The sky is not falling; they’ll probably meet around $1.75 million and he’ll be playing in our system by late August.

21. Short Porch says:

When you’re a Yankee fan you’re playing with the house money. Need to sign a prospect for a couple of mil? Sure, go ahead. Not even a rounding error.

Take a flier on an import or an injury risk for what you could dig out of A-Rod’s couch cushions? Please, by all means.

I like good young talent. Lots of it. If the Yanks, failing a good position in the draft, can step to the plate and buy some up, I am all for it.

That said, what is Heathcott’s upside while he has us over this relatively small barrel?

22. Mike HC says:

Just give the guy his 1.71 million and call it day.

23. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I’m 100% sure Heathcott and Murphy will sign.

I just hope we can get Cotham, Lyons, Stoneburner, Meade and the other Cape Code guys.

I also really want Andrew Aplin to sign, but I think he is leaning towards College =(

24. Andrew M. says:

Was just on the espn chat with Callis and got this question in, hopefully it turns out this way:

Andrew (Temecula CA)

Do you see the Yankees coming to terms with their 1st and 2nd rounders (Heathcott and Murphy) even if it’s for more than expected since if they don’t sign them they lose the picks?

Jim Callis (2:41 PM)

Yes. I think they’ll sign both players.

25. [...] Yankees’ No. 1 pick, Slade Heathcott, is apparently seeking a $2 million dollar deal from the team. After losing Gerrit Cole last season, Heathcott is likely to get whatever he wants. [...]

26. emac2 says:

2 mil might sign Sano.

Who is a better investment?

27. [...] Yankees’ No. 1 pick, Slade Heathcott, is apparently seeking a million dollar deal from the team. After losing Gerrit Cole last season, Heathcott is likely to get whatever he wants. [...]